“Cheap, nice hotel with a very yummy breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars

Toby's Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Kent Avenue, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #28 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Manhattan, Kansas
“Cheap, nice hotel with a very yummy breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here our first two nights in Jamaica before we hit the road to drive around the island.

The rooms and furniture weren't the newest but, most importantly, they were clean! The staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was super tasty!

As for the location, it was easy to find from the Montego Bay airport and near some really beautiful beaches. However, to get to the beaches you have to walk down a street which is full of stores. Every five steps we were stopped and asked if we wanted to go in their stores, get our hair done, buy a bracelet, etc. That got a bit annoying but as long as you stay polite and give them a firm "no", you will eventually get to your destination.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Port Dover Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had the pleasure this year March 11th 2013 to spend a day and a night resting up for my trip home after spending 6 1/2 weeks in Negril Jamaica. Tobys was an excellent choice .I spent the day relaxing around one of the 2 pools and then going for a walk along the strip.My room was clean air conditioned with my own little porch.I had Lunch and dinner in Tobys dinning room .The food was very good and the service excellent. I had a quiet nights sleep got up had a good breakfast and had lots of time to get to the airport which is about 5 minutes away.Lots of cabs available the price is around $1500ja.to the airport.I go to Negril every year but from now on I will return to Tobys a day before I go back home to relax and not having to stress on the ride from Negril to catch my flight. The staff at Tobys is five star the Lady who waited on me for dinner was one of the friendliest I ever met .We spent quite some time talking about our Grandchildren and had some good chuckles.If you want a great place to spend a night or 2 Tobys is the best bang for your buck.Clean and Friendly and close to the airport.I'm looking forward to next year in Negril at Roots Bamboo where I have been going since the 70's and my stop over at Tobys .

Room Tip: Ask for gardenview or poolside rooms Roadside rooms are a little noisier in the morning.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughter (10 yo) and I stayed at Toby's for March Break 2013. I booked Toby's for a few reasons, the main one being the price. I also didn't want an all inclusive as I wanted to explore the island and tour etc. Toby's was the perfect choice for us for the following reasons-

1) Safety-As I travelled alone with my daughter feeling secure was paramount regardless of the cost. I really felt secure at Toby's as they have numerous security features. (Note; This is not to say that I don't feel safe in Jamaica in general cause I do! I have been here five times now and come back for a reason!) so note you will feel secure here- without being in a fortresss.

2) Location- the reviews all say this, but Toby's is at a great spot. Make a right and you hit the Hip Strip with shops, variety stores, culture etc. Make a left and hit a nice public beach (hey, its the one Sandals uses!) so location was great.

3) Rooms- I was pleased with our deluxe room. Nothing fancey but all the essentials including small fridge, coffee maker, balconey and a nice view of pool. Def worth the small upgrade. I asked for a second floor room for security reasons- and though this meant entering room from the corridor behind- I felt no worries ever doing this.

4) VIBE- The main reason that I loved Toby's and will def stay there again though is the vibe. This is a character hotel with an incredible mix of people- from healthy Euros to young families, to aging party boys to locals wanting a vacay- this small hotel had it all and i loved that. If you want to meet Tim and Tina from Kentucky, then stay at all inclusive or go to Kentucky! If you want to meet a great mix of people, support a local family (and not a multinational hotel chain) than Toby's is for you.

I come to Jamaica to leave stress behind and chill, and at Toby's I honestly felt that the staff would have done anything to make me and my daughter happy. We loved it so much that we are already saving to go back.

Tips- Though great people just trying to earn a living, the vendors on the Hip Strip can be a bit much, so walk on the right side of the street if you want to venture down more into Mo Bay. Some people ignored them or didnt meet their eyes. I used a firm "Not Today" and continued my journey. Respect goes a long way, but their persistence is incredbile too. Prepare for this.

Varierty stores are common on the Hip Strip so to save some money, stock up on juice, pop, cereal, noodles, snax and even booze for the room. Very cheap prices. There is also an eatery on the Strip- in fact the first one you will come to - The Jamican village that had very reasonable prices ($5-$8 dinners) and nice seating etc. Mo Bay is not expensive, so don't let that scare you. You can stretch your dollar in this town.

To sum it up- if you want white gloves and five stars- and you know you do- than do yourself a favour and book that five star hotel. If however you want a cozy stay, with two clean pools,a nice resturant a friendly poor bar and a great ambience than I suggest Toby's. Instead of texting all day, my daughter got to see the island. She made more memories than we ever did at an all inclusive.

We would probably never stay anywhere else again in Mo Bay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Decatur, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was by far an amazing resort. Me and my best friend stayed here (4 days, 3 nights) and the service was simply the best. Pure hospitality, answered any questions we had, friendly staff, and great dining prices. We stayed in a deluxe room with two twin beds. Spotless floors, bamboo furniture, mini fridge, ironing board, private balcony, TV, radio and spacious bathroom. They even provided complimentary black soap (natural product lovers will understand lol). Deluxe rooms are 110 per night. The beds are on the firmer side. Personally, I prefer a firm bed, but this varies person to person for others. Furthermore, the resort is located right on the hip strip and near restaurants where all the locals eat (aka authentic, cheap cuisine). Plus, you are moments away from all the famous beaches and everything is in walking distance. Worried about your safety? Don't be. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. Plus, they have these people called "courtesy cops" who are available literally every 10 feet to help you if you are being harassed by merchants are men targeting women for sex lol. Hey, it's true. Anyway, courtesy cops are in the white hats and they will be more than happy to assist you to guarantee the best trip possible. Montego bay is awesome.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe single. Pay the extra 15 dollars. Well worth it. If you don't like your first room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Generally I need to say that location is great regarding proximity to airport and hip strip. The lobby is ok and has security 4 hours. The rooms are basic with TV, AC and bathroom, just what you basically pay for. They offer a swimming pool and pool bar, however you really need to wait for service to show...just Jamaica style, no rush.
In general it was ok..more for the lower budget expectations.

Room Tip: proximity to pool means noise from early morning
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Price is average but the room quality could be much better. The room are dated and dusty. My family was uncomfortable sleeping because of lizards running on the wall when the lights went on at night. I know it is the island but there should be screens to keep these insects out as they can be scary for tourists.
The food was fast food type and not a commendable experience from my point of view. I would not return to that place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Holland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked this via Delta Vacations, and THOUGHT they would have been better about vetting their partners. I thought wrong.This was at the corner of a major road, with trucks rumbling past, and the occasional loud car stereo, at any given hour. There were open electrical breaker boxes, right next to the ice machine. And, my favorite.. in our "Non-smoking" room, that smelled of smoke, there were burn holes in the sheets, and after the first night, when we saw the same holes, my wife and I decided to see how long those sheets stayed on the bed. They stayed on our bed 4 out of the 5 nights we were there.

Jamaicans are an aggressive bunch when you leave Toby's. They offer, even insist, on doing you a favor, then want $$$, and not a dollar or $2,but more like $20, for the simplest of answers. Had a guy sit down at at our table while we were eating, because "he had seen us at our hotel." Although he couldn't remember which one. First he asked if we needed "smoke" (pot), then asked us if we needed a ride back to our hotel? We had a car, Then he asked if I would buy him a beer? I said No, and he got a bit pissy, and left our table. (Thank you!) On the way out, he said, "then no beer for me then." I said no, again. Then he got a bit more verbal.

I have been to a number of Caribbean islands, but have never experienced this type of covert aggression.

I won't be going back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Toby's Resort? Share your experiences!