“up and coming 5-star upscale romantic hotel/spa” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Emerald Escape Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montego Bay
Emerald Escape Beach Resort
You added Emerald Escape Beach Resort to your Saves list
A1, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #53 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
New York, NY
“up and coming 5-star upscale romantic hotel/spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

I had the privilege of staying and meeting the new owners of this soon-to-be upscale chic hotel. I've been traveling to JA for the past 20 years and have stayed in various hotels and this is the first time I've ever met the owners of the resort. It's a family run hotel who are in the midst of renovating the resort into a 5-star hotel/spa with an asian theme. They own a successful hotel in St. Martin and plan to duplicate that sucess with this hotel. It's a short drive into town & to the airport.

The exterior of this hotel reminded me of an ancestral plantation. I stayed in one of the newly renovated guest rooms. Each room has a balcony and a phenominal view (see view photo). With furnishings from Thailand, you get the feel of what's to come. While there are still minor additons that need to be made (by that I mean artwork, accessories, etc), the rooms were clean and the staff were exceptionally helpful and accomodating.

The owners elaborated on what they wanted to do with the hotel and when their plans are carried out in detail, this will be one of the most elite hotels on the North coast of Jamaica. The owners are well known in Jamaica & are well traveled, so they know what luxuries people want & expect when they go to on vacation. This will be the place to find it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Families
Solo
Business
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

This quiet 21 room hotel is the ideal get away for me the person who likes a little peace and tranquility without being too far out of reach. All in all Emerald Escape is one of Montego Bays best kept little secrets. Based on what they have now and what they are embarking on, as I was told by the owners, this could very well be one of the better boutique style hotels on Mobay. Emerald Escape Great job to you guys

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Montego Bay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

I went there in August of 2007 to my cousin's wedding and I can say it was average.
I liked the rooms,the pool,the setting,but it is isolated.

Stayed August 2007
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

This hotel is unbelievably bad. The pool is murky and gross. The hotel itself is miles from anywhere you want to be (nothing to walk to). The web site says they have cribs, but when we arrived and asked for one, the check-in person looked at us like we were crazy. The "restaurant" food is mediocre.

Then, to top it all off, we got robbed! My wife left her purse in our *locked* room while we walked down to the water. We were out of the room maybe 30 minutes, and when we came back her cell phone and palm pilot were gone.

In the end, we were happy to "escape from the emerald".

• Stayed March 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2004

I would not recommend this resort. It is very inexpensive and basically, you get what you paid for. There are no vending machines but ther is a ice machine. If you are thirsty in the middle of the night, you are on your own. Another reason you are on your own is because the restaurant closes early and the bar is never open. If you want to travel anywhere into town or on a rafting trip etc..etc...you are going to pay a hefty price for taxi fare. The guy named Patrick at the hotel basically charges you what he wants to. It was my experience to hail a passing taxi on my own right out front of the hotel. Compared to paying $10 roundtrip to Doctor's Cave Beach, you will pay a couple of US dollars by hailing a taxi. Let's not talk about Carolyn. Anytime you asked her for her assistance she acted as if you were bothering her. She was not a very pleasant person. The rooms are ok for a place to sleep, but don't expect anything else. The pidgeon droppings on the balcony are permanent fixture. Read my lips: There is no beach! It is not suitable for swimming and very rocky and also the pool is very dirty! The pool is a hole in the cement filled with water. The water in the pool is dirty and yellow. The staff of the hotel seemed to like the person I was traveling with and the staff constantly called my room to ask if this person wanted to go clubbing with them. At times, during our one week stay at the hotel, the staff called our room as late as 3:00 am. This is very unprofessional! I had to firmly state that they not call my room so late again. Do not try taking the phone off of the hook. The call will ring through anyway. There is a Jamaican woman with a name that starts with a T that lives in the hotel. Matter of fact she lives in the front room and keeps her window open so that she can scope out who is arriving at the hotel. If you are traveling with your boyfriend/husband, be careful. This woman approaches most of the men at the hotel and at night escorts these men to the club etc...etc. In December, she was known to have caused problems for a lot of the married travelers at the resort. This was witnessed as well as told to me by the person I traveled with. He states that this woman would dress scantilly in his presence and approach him. So..if you don't mind rooms that are not up to par, little to no service, and playing games with the resident 5th wheel....maybe this resort is for you. As for me, next time I wil pay the price for the other hotels and enjoy the stay I deserve in Montego Bay! As for this resort and the staff, I think they could use some new management, renovations, and customer service training. Hats off to the forgotten staff. Brent, the night manager, the most professional person on the staff! Tony was nice and always smiling. Bertram and Tedroy were always willing to assist!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2004

The perfect place for a small outdoor wedding ...beautiful view and nice dining room. As for the rooms...ours needed a little extra cleaning...which was done when I asked. The drapes, bedspreads and lamp shades were in desperate need of replacement. But in all our room wasn't that bad just needed updating. Dining was overpriced and very slow!!! Food wasn't bad, but didn't change. Best ice tea we found in all Jamaica. Beach was a do it yourself job of the resort and not swim worthy. The concierge services where very poor. BIG DRAWBACK!!
Isolated! If you don't have a car you are trapped. The resort had Patrick drive us around...he was nice and polite...But...it cost us $100 U.S dollars for two days of driving. In a car that was a rattle trap with no seat belts. It was when he arranged a deal for us to go rafting which ended up costing us more that the posted amount and his driving fee that I realize we were really being taken. I understand the game now...I won't be so trusting next time. If going to Montego Bay establish what you are going to pay for the drive before you get in the car. Be careful of unlicensed taxis.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2004

this place has so much potential, however my experience was quite different than the other visitor. My husband and I were also there in December. The view and seclusion is great. The rooms need a lot of updating and smelled like bubble gum cough syrup. There is nothing in walking distance of the hotel so when we went to eat dinner they werent prepared, actually they almost seemed shocked that we wanted to eat.
They turned the lights on for us and gave us very few choices. I am all about fixed menus, but there was no lobster or filet offered. We paid $30 US for fried chicken, although it was the best fried chicken I've ever eaten. There was no bar available. Kinda sounds like my husband and I stayed at a different hotel than the people from toronto. There best part of our experience was that we were only there one night as we had spent the rest of our vacation in Negril. Anyway I guess thats what we get for trying to save a buck.

Been to Emerald Escape Beach Resort? Share your experiences!