“Comfortable and in style” 4 of 5 stars

The Gloucestershire Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Gloucester Ave, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #19 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Bennekom, Netherlands
“Comfortable and in style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

A good hotel. very clean with a good kitchen. It is outside the resorts, so you can explore Jamaica on your own. Seafront rooms are spacious. The balcony is small, but the common balcony on each floor is much larger. Restaurants in the open air (covered) with good ventilation. That is much better than air conditioned and cold. Service is very good. The beach is in front of the hotel, as is the ATM. The beach (Doctors cove) is guarded and costs about 5 US$ per day. (you get a mark on your arm when you get out , e.g. for lunch. Hotel has very good internet in a separate room with about 5 computers.The swimming pool is moderately small but very clean. The beach is much better though, with comfortable chairs for 5 US$ a day. Not very busy, except when a cruise ship is in.

Good restaurants are not so plentiful in Montega Bay, except for the resorts. A good one is the Pelican, about 5 minutes walking away on the same road.

Some small disadvantages: The lights in the room are very dark, so reading is difficult in the evening. Even on the desk in the room there is no light. Also a small refrigirator would be helpful, the more because the supermarket is adjacent to the hotel. You can use the facilities of the hotel for free, but you get a plastic armband to recognize you. That is a nuisance, since everybody on the street can see in which hotel you are, including sellers of services. It feels unpleasant also.

The price of the rooms (about 150 Euro per night) is stiff. The location is excellent for those who stick to the beach. The distance to Montego Bay center is about a 15 minutes walk.

Room Tip: I had a room on the frontside. A (small) window with a comfortable armchair in front of it makes a g...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Gary, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

After returning from Negril on business I decided to stay an extra night to unwind. I wanted to be close to the airport & through a stroke of luck I was guided to this hotel. First of all let me say that in reading other reviews I noticed that some had issues with noise. Well come on people the hotel is located on a major street! Vacations should be about adventure & the willingness to accept new things. That being said on with the review: I was in room 105 which shared a balcony with rooms 103 & 101 (great to know if you travel with a group, you can all have a private balcony) You can step outside & look at the strip, the Doctors Cave is directly across the street. (Get a day pass for $5 from the front desk,they will also provide you a beach towel). I am a night person so noise doesn't bother me. In the mornings you will hear the traffic so bear this in mind when selecting a room. My room had a king sized bed(lovely!) & the air worked perfectly. The hotel was very clean. (Be advised it is under new management for those bad reviews seen earlier, so there is much improvement) They have a indoor pool but I chose to go to Doctors Cave instead. The food is Jamaican at least for breakfast ( I did not eat dinner here so I cannot comment on it.) The saltfish & vegetables take some getting used to if you eat a traditional American breakfast. I am not a breakfast eater so this wasn't a big deal to me. I must admit it was different. The restaurant is spacious & you can have your meal inside or out on the small patio. The staff are very friendly & extremely humble. That is refreshing to see. When I say humble I don't mean that in that they are weak I mean that with the utmost respect. Always smiling & inquiring as to how they can make your stay more accommodating. This is customer service at it's best.Actually they remind me of the english butlers you see on tv very quiet & reserved. Always speaking in low tones. I never heard a raised voice the whole time I was there. All in all I would stay here again. No it is not all inclusive,. What's the point in that if you are on the hip strip? Go out & explore!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Montego Bay, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was referred to this hotel and was not disappointed, as this was a last minute decision to stay in Montego Bay for a family reunion. Everyone at the hotel was accommodating and welcoming. The rooms were comfortable and the balcony views were amazing not to mention the complimentary breakfast serving authentic Jamaican dishes. I would definitely stay there again. The location is ideal, with many other places to eat nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were scheduled to leave Montego Bay Friday, June 14th at 3:30...delay, move of gate, finally cancellation of flight led Spirit Air to move over 100 of us to this hotel. From the minute we arrived...and it was late evening...everyone was accommodating and welcoming! They prepared an evening meal for us, brought around cool juice drinks, and were most hospitable! Rooms were comfortable, clean, spacious, modern. Great water pressure in shower! Breakfast was plentiful and the continued welcoming attitude greeted us from beginning to end of a very frustrating time. While we spent 4 days at an all-inclusive resort, this was no "flea-bag hotel". Great location,close to the airport, beautiful beach across the street, close shopping. Would definitely consider staying if returning to Montego Bay.

Room Tip: Request room NOT located on busy street
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the end February in 2013 for 4days. Before choosing every hotel I always read the reviews so I decided we're going with GLOUSTERSHIRE just by the reviews. LAWERENCE THE BEll hop is AMAZING...He told us were to go, where to eat, he knew all the hot spots, the reasonable taxis. Front desk girls were amazing so sweet I felt like they had known me forever. We stayed in the back so the noise from the Hip strip didn't affected us at all. The hotel has an old rustic feel combine with modern style which gave it a romantic feeling. The breakfast was DELICIOUS all you can eat buffet Jamaican style what more can you asked for to start your day. Our rooms were cleaned everyday while we were there. Daily they changed our towels and our sheets. We were catered to our every need at the hotel. EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND GREAT HOSPITALITY.

Only one problem I had with this Hotel there wasn't any WIFI in our room and not all the rooms have wifi only the ones close to the front desk. But to be honest without this feature it allowed my husband and i to escape our busy lives, enjoy each other and completely relax! We will certainly be back soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

All the superb reviews mystify me. This is an average hotel at best. It is clean and has good air con, and it is central being across the road from the Doctor's Cave beach club, which is the best part of Mo Bay. The hotel, like Mo Bay, looks like it had its heyday decades ago and then has had some basic amateur maintenance since. The common terrace lounges are the best feature. It was like a Fawlty Towers skit when we asked for the key to the in-room safe (it was not to be found). Even trying to get the lethargic tour desk lady (who had no other customers) to assist with transport was a challenge. There is nothing hip about the Hip Strip; just the usual junky beachside souvenir shops, and lots of buildings that look derelict but are in fact in full operation. Be prepared to be hassled constantly by scammers and hustlers. You can't walk along the beach for more than a 100 metres. My advice; don't bother with Montego Bay at all, just go straight from the airport to Negril or Ocho Rios.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a super nice place to stay it clean its to every ting the town the party's and all these the tings so ever yuh in no bay check it out we stayed there and all went well I will go back now if I could but I will save to go back to jamaica

• Stayed April 2013

Been to The Gloucestershire Hotel? Share your experiences!