“Unforgetteble Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Dublin,CA
“Unforgetteble Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

We were there from Nov 25 through Dec 4, My husband, My mother and myself. We had a wonderful time at the resort. Before we went, I had read every single reviews posted on this forum. I knew I might encounter issues that most of the previous customers experienced. Such as,
1. Slow check in
2. Long line at the bars and restaurents
3. Mildewed bathroom
4. Hard time reserving at the sit down restaurants
5. Rude employees and so on.
Well, we found none of these to be true. Not sure if this is because of the time of the year we were there or what. I was expecting it to be bad because we're there during the thanksgiving holidays. But, not the case for us.

We traveled from CA and took the red eye flight. So when we reached in Montego Bay airport on nov 25, we were extremely tired. We reserved Jamaica Tours Limited for our transfer. There was a bit of wait at the air port due to the transfer bus arriving late. But, once we were on the bus, it took us literally 10 minutes to reach the resort, that after having stopped at Riu and few other placed to drop off other passengers on the way. It took us 5 minutes to check in. Once we got our badges, the bell boy showed us to our room.

Initially we were put in building 7. We requested for adjoining room, but that wasn't available. So, we were in the second floor and my mother was in the 3rd floor of building 7. We booked the delux rooms with ocean views, that's what we got. Though my mom was initailly put into a room with the view of the garden, but after pointing out that we booked the deluxe room, they changed hers.

The views of the ocean front room... oh god..spectacular. Just imagine waking up to looking at the ocean. Worth every penny we spend to upgrade. I realized my mother had even a better view of the ocean from the 3rd floor. We also noticed that building 7 is not right on the beach, there is a little bit of garden in between.So, from our second floor room you see a little bit of the garden and the ocean. But if you stayed in building 4,5, or 6 and have the ocean front room, you will have direct view of only the ocean. realizing that, we went to the front desk and asked if they had any rooms available in those buildings and on the 4th floor. We were told that there weren't, but they will make a note of that and to keep checking.

Well, after keep checking for 5 days, were were moved to building 4. room 4456. AMAZING. corner room, full view of the ocean, couldn't ask for any thing better. This made our trip. The rooms were perfectly clean, no mildew, sliding doors opens and closes perfectly. The room was done every day by 10-11 in the morning with fresh towels, extra soaps etc. No cleanliness issue at all. the only problem with the new room was that the AC didn't make the room cold. It was comfortable, but not as cold as I would have liked it to be.

Any ways.. because we joined the priority club, thanks to advices from this site, we were able to reserve to the Italian and the Caribbean restaurant before we even arrived in Jamaica. That also for 3 constitutive days. Felt very lucky.

Now the food. We at at the Italian for 2 days and at the Caribbean one day. We preferred the Italian. Good portion, good food, great service. We didn't experience slow service at all. Seabreeze was ok, not great.

The buffet was ok, plenty options to choose from. My husband is a very picky eater, and he had plenty to eat. There was always a fish, some vegetables, pre made salads and salad bar,cheese & crackers, soup, pasta, pizza, chicken, beef or lamb, 3-4 items for kids at least 4-5 types of desserts. Plenty to pick from. We didn't get bored with it after 9 days.

But, if you didn't like buffet, there was just kiddin which had jerk chicken/pork, hotdogs, nahco cheese (didn't like), popcorn and ice creams.

Or, at the bare foot grill, there was cheese burgers, veggie burgers, fish and chips. My husband loved the fish and chips. But, they closed the bare foot grill in the middle of the week for construction and moved it to the seabreeze, It was a bit of extra walk which was ok.

We don't drink alcohols, but we had the pina colada every single day. It was good. The coke tasted different to me for some reason. But it was a good excuse to not have more sugar.

We used the gym facility almost every single day. It was good enough for us. 3 treadmills, couple of elliptical, 2 stationary bike, 2 spinning bikes, weight machines, free weights, even steps for avid aerobic stepper like me. They even had a small open area next to the gym where I was able to workout using the steppers and my workout dvd. The gym has great view of the ocean and the beach.

The second day we decided that the road looked safe enough for us to drive. So, we rented a car from the on sight hertz car rental. Best decision we could have made. Yes, we had to test drive the car in the near by road to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road, but it wasn't that bad. We rented a GPS which didn't work. After replacing with a second one it didn't work either. So we decided to give it back and follow the map. Which was fine. It wasn't easy, but we stopped and asked people and they were very helpful. Few time, we entered the wrong way, and the pediatricians tapped on our window to point it to us. I know scary, but, we were not on the highways. The highways are fine to drive, except if you are not comfortable, don't try to overtake. Just stay behind slow moving cars. But, if you go to the inside streets that's a different story. The roads were bad, full of pot holes.

Anyways, we drove to negril and went to the ricks cafe. My husband had a great time jumping off of the cliffs with the cliff jumpers. It was great.

Then next day, we decided to take my mom to the Martha Brae Rafting. Worth the $60. Very relaxing. Good for her to sit as she can not do a lot of physical activity.

We read a lot about Dunn's river falls as a must to. But I was a bit skeptical. Being on a human chain, holding hands of strangers to climb a fall didn't appeal to me. But, since we were in Ocho Rios, we decided to give it a try. After reaching there we realized that you don't need to do a guided climb, holding hand of other people. We just did it own our own. Couldn't agree more with people who said it a must do. We climbed the fall 3 times.We would have done it more, but we went late(2:30) and it was getting dark and the park closed at 4:30. But, worth the 15 pp price we paid.

While in Ocho Rios we also visited the furn gulley, it was ok, not great.

Next day we went back t Ocho Rios and did White water Tubing, for $20 pp. The best thing about that, there is a place in the middle of the river where you can stop and swing from a tree. So much fun.

by day 8 we returned our car. So we stayed day 8 and day 9 at the resort. We snorkeled a lot too. We brought our own snorkeling gears. We tried around the pier. But best part to see all the fishes was behind the little island. We also tried the Catamaran sailing once.. great fun.. and they take you quite far in the ocean. We wanted to do the second time, but the weather didn't permit.

We also shopped across the street. Very convenient, since we had returned the car already, we couldn't go far. We bargained and got great deals.

Now, the best part of the resort is the people. I have not experience any rude employee. Every one works hard and smiles all the time. We tipped just because we received great service from everyone. No one asked for it, great service nonetheless. No long lines.. the most I had ever had to wait for food was 5 min at the most. Not sure, if this was because of the time of the year??

Every night, my husband and I walked around the property after dinner to burn some of the great food we had. There was always securing patrolling the property. This made us very safe during our stay. Also at the front entrance, they take your name and room number down when you enter or exit the property. You can take it as a bother or think that they are doing it to ensure your safety. Totally safe resort.

The entertainment was ok. We are not keen about watching shows or participating in games. It was there for people who enjoys them... not us.

Oh, on thing, there were plenty of tv channels. Even two Indian channels, never expected that..

Over all, we had a great time. I don't know why I would want to pay double for staying at a 5 star when Holiday completely meets what I look for in a all inclusive hotel.. clean rooms, plenty of good food, good service, good people, good entertainment. above all good price for all of this.

Will surely return to Jamaica and surely stay at holiday in sunspree

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,451)
  • Polish first
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

this resort is in BAD shape...all the common areas need work as well as just a good CLEANING..our room was nice as we had paid extra for "ocean front"..food OK except in the Italian resturant..Sorrento..food here was great..the "customer service" desk was no SERVICE..they act like doing you a favor just answer your questions..and to top off the trip..power outage (we understand this happens ALOT)..for an entire day..had to shower in the dark as the bathrooms have no window!! didn't feel comfortable leaving the resort unless with a tour group..too many other places one can enjoy..so check around..don't settle for this resort!!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

once again a fantastic stay,staff wonderful,plenty to do,the whole package,do as much or as little as YOU WANT or let the hotel arrange this,any problems they sort it imeditately.went to the returning meal and what a meal,wonderful,the chef cooked our little girl food what she fancied. the hotel has been taken over while we have been going so we have seen all the changes,the beach barbeques were fantastic.we are hopeing to return in january again, just saving now. oh the life guides(cluff wayne)what a name was reasurring when our girl was swimming, well manered very polite.also the outside bar staff make amean bob marley and fries and cheese to die for.the room service was impeccable couldn't ask for any more.also omelettes for breakfast,anything you want in it brilliant. by this you can see im a fan the down side maybe returning guests could have free wifi use.see you soon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Armada, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

This was our third time back at the SunSpree and it gets better everytime.......checking inn the people that work there remember my family and I and greet you with handshakes, hugs and welcome back "Mon"
Please, just give this resort a try, you wont be dissapointed, it is a down to earth good time and there are some GREAT people that work there to help you have a GREAT time!
Howard and Wayne the Bellmen, great guys that will help you anytime!, Leroy from maintenance, he will take care of you if something is wrong with your room!!, Paul will cook you a great breakfast! and Ocassa at the Barefoot Grill will make you a great grilled cheese, fish, burger or dog with fries!
Ricardo, one of the main Chefs is a great guy who always remembers us and lets us try some fantastic dishes!
Orrett, Lenroy, Annette, Eleshia, Dalbert,Cornel, Kavi and Ryan....the bartenders.
All of these people I have mentioned and MORE make this resort what it is and make us
come back each year!
All i can say is give this resort a shot, if you a down to earth, reasonable person, you will have a great time!!!
I wish I was back there now as I write this and watch as 4-8 inches of snow falls in Michigan.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

My husband and I needed a long overdue vacation. After reading mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided to to give the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort in Montego Bay a chance. What a wonderful location!! We ate, played and enjoyed this all inclusive resort. Our accommodations were good, the staff friendly and excellent food and drink. We ate two times in the Sorrento Italian Restaurant and was treated like royalty. Our wait staff was top of the line. The location and hotel made it seem like we had our own island. Just a few feet from the hotel beach was a sand bar that belonged to the holel with their own beach chairs and palm chairs. The hotel provided continuous activities and entertainment for children and adults. The only negative was the bathroom was on the small size...large walk-in shower but room overall could have been larger. We can't say enough about this property. Should we return to Montego Bay we will definitey stay at this property. Go enjoy!

Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

My husband and i just returned from the Holiday Inn Sunspree resort and folks this is not a fun resort! At the front desk they told us we had a garden view room, but we had paid for a deluxe ocean view room and when I pointed this out to her, she said she would look after it and to come back at 3:00.That wasn't a problem because we had been at the Riu before in February and knew you just change your clothes, grab a drink and relax - no problem.
At 3:00 we returned and found out we were upgraded to an ocean view suite, which was nice but in this hotel/resort it didn't really matter.It was clean, but very run down and just plain not very nice. The paint was chipping, the bathroom really was a small gross nightmare, and when you sat out on your balcony all you could hear was the 2 air conditioners running 24/7.But the air conditioners drowned out the sound of the construction work taking place in Building 6 (we were in Building 7).They also closed down the Italian restaurant for renovations and the pool bar, which created longer lines at the lobby bar.
The drinks were weak unless you requested them to" rum it up." Vanessa at the lobby bar was wonderful!
The food wasn't great except for the jerk chicken hut - which really was amazing- and the beach party nights were really good.
The entertainment is what you would expect at a Holiday Inn, but the best performance was the steel band and the accompanying dancers - they were all fantastic!
Unfortunately I was the second person in one day to get stung by a stingray just snorkeling off the beach area - extremely painful and the nurse is not much help at all.
Please think twice about going here; if you have a few dollars more spend it on a place with a nice beach and good food, then you really will have a wonderful holiday to remember!

SPRINGBORO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Just returned from a 7 day stay and found the resort to be great....nothing to complain about...we loved it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay? Share your experiences!