“Better Than Ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
On
“Better Than Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Stoney Creek, ON, Canada - Jan 30 - Feb 13th.

We've just returned from a 2 week vacation at the Holiday Inn Sunspree (H.I.S.) in Montego Bay and this was our 7th visit to this resort. For those of you wondering where we've been before??? Hawaii, Cuba, Florida, California, Bahamas, St. Thomas, Peurto Rica, and the Turks & Caicos. Dollar for dollar, we feel that the H.I.S. is the best bang for your buck.

Safe, clean and affordable, brilliant renovations including wheel chair access, nestled in a tropical paradise. Efficient check-in, sparkling clean rooms, with A/C and flat screen TV's. 'Adult only' pool with a swim-up bar, 'Adult only' pub upstairs complete with large flat screen TV's to view your favourite sporting events, like the Superbowl, which we did.

Lobby Bar - super service, mingle and meet other travellers from all over the world.
Outside bar and grill - burgers, fries, dogs, nachos, and grilled chesse.
Seabreeze Restaurant - authentic carribean food overlooking the ocean on the beach.
Sorrento Restaurant - a la carte Italian fine dining.
Trattoria Restaurant - second level outdoor international cuisine.
Portside Buffet - loaded with a variety of international specialties including outstanding desserts. Food simple to gourmet.
A few reviews complained about the food. Where we live in Canada, if you want to find a great restaurant, you seek out where the police eat. During our stay, 24 of the Jamaican Special Forces ate here while training nearby.
We also noted 7 different airline crews booked here on layovers. SO YOU DECIDE. Nightly beach parties are held on Tuesday and Friday nights.
Outdoor dining with Jamaican entertainment along with local vendors.
Renovated Lobby & Lounge - comfy furniture, Asian inspired pergola. Great gathering areas for guests.
Included are an ATM machine, in-room secure safe, complementary washing machines, modern health and fitness club, 4 tennis courts, beach vollyball, large swimming pool, mini-putt, spa services and shops just opened, mini casino, watersports, baby-sitting services, daily activities, variety of evening shows from dancing to the golden oldies to jamm'in Jamaican style, tours and excursions galore, make sure you see and do it all including the Dunn's River Waterfall trip.

Owners, management and staff provide friendly superior 5 star service, they are respectfull, genuinely care about your satisfaction and they are very approachable.

We recomend this vacation for the breath taking beauty and tranquility of Jamaica and the great value at H.I.S. We have thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this all inclusive vacation and look forward to once again escaping to this spectacular resort nestled in a tropical paradise in 2010.

When you have an opportunity to meet people who have returned here for their 3rd, 4th, or 6th visit, it speaks volumes.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,465)
  • Polish first
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

We spent the week of 2/14 to 2/21 at the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay. We had a wonderful time, but I understand the mixed reviews. I'm hoping I can help others to understand why there are such extreme views.

Before going:
I booked through an internet website (Nolitours.com) and tried to understand the options we had with the rooms. And I tried to contact the hotel by e-mail to clarify which room might best suit us. The hotel did not have a website or phone number up on the web until recently, but I never received a response to my e-mail and was reluctant to call Jamaica. Nolitours could share little insight as to room choices. Hints - do bring watershoes. I'll explain below. If you want to have snorkeling equipment all day, bring your own. The equipment may be signed out for an hour at a time. Although the hotel was full, they never seemed to run out of the equipment. Sunscreen is $15 in the shop on the grounds - I didn't price it across the street, but we ran out and paid $15 for it. Bring your bathing suit and flip flops in a carry-on or leave them easily accessible in your suitcase if you get to the hotel before your room is ready.

Arriving at the hotel: Check in was not bad. Rooms would not be ready until 3, but we were there at 11. We used the courtesy lounge to change, and checked our bags in the luggage room. We found that items we left out or checked during the day were always safe. They served rum punch as we waited. We were checked in within half an hour.

Rooms: Here's one of the areas in which the reviews have varied so widely, and I completely understand.

There are (I believe) 7 buildings on the grounds. They vary widely in appearance and, although many have a similar layout, some may have a blowdryer but no coffeemaker, some may be older and appear dirtier, and some are newer but the hot water might be variable. I don't know if it's always this way, but if you talk to the desk, they will assist you with whatever is missing as much as they can. The owner is always on the grounds overseeing some work, and when approached by a woman we met about a hot water problem in her room, he had her room changed.

Day one - our first room - When our room was ready I left my husband and son by the pool (husband recently had surgery so he wasn't going to be much help in unpacking) and went to the room with the bellhop. Our first room (of three!) was in Building 4. I walked in and was very disappointed. The room smelled very musty and the walls appeared dirty or stained (mildew?). Although the room may have been okay for the week, since we don't spend much time in it, I was afraid that with my allergies and my son's allergies, nighttime would be a disaster. The room was dark and the color was an odd gold, which somehow made it gloomier. The furniture was scratched, old and worn out. I called the front desk and explained about our allergies, and after some friendly persuasion, was told they would be moving me. As I sat in the room I also realized the older model air conditioner was very loud, and would probably have kept us up. The room had two doubles, and a balcony that faced another building. I think Building 4 must be one of the older buildings. As I was being escorted by the bellhop to our second room, they were moving a couple into the room we were just vacating. The gentleman asked why we were moving, and I explained my son's allergies might act up. He explained he had chronic allergies, took a look (or whiff) and requested a room change. By the way, a thank-you to tripadvisor contributors - I might not have been as adament about moving if I hadn't read reviews of readers who had been able to move their rooms.

We were next moved to Building 2. The room was brighter and would have been fine but...it faced the pool and stage area, and was adjacent and below the adult bar where activities continued until 1 a.m. We could step out and walk 20 feet and be where the chairs were that people used for the shows at night. This is also where the daytime entertainment took place. I have rarely changed rooms at a hotel, and was reluctant to do so twice at this time, so we moved into the room. It seemed fine during the day, though a bit loud. . But at night, it seemed as if the band was in our bedroom. Band music or shows end at 10 or 10:30.

Later on day one my sister arrived at the hotel and was given a room in Building 4. She was upset too, having been assured of an ocean view or front room. It turns out ocean view means that if you get one with a terrace facing the other building, but can stick your neck out on the terrace to see the ocean, you've got your view. Ocean front is just that. The airline also lost her luggage, so I dealt with the front desk about her room for her. I wore my tripdavisor hat, and though I don't know if it helped, it sure didn't hurt! They assured her they would move her, though insisting she hadn't reserved the room she thought she had, and pointing out that Expedia doesn't offer ocean front. They then moved her to Building 5 that day or the next day (I forget which). And she had an ocean front room, fourth floor, balcony over the beach, beautiful view! I tipped the fellow at the front desk for his help after he moved her. In the meantime, we'd spent the night listening to the band and the bar from our room, so I asked if he could move us. He said he'd see what he could do. And he moved us later on day two to Building 5 - clean big room, balcony facing another building, but by far the best room of the three. We were quite happy with the room and glad we switched. (I tipped him again.) It was quieter and clean. There were times we didn't have hot water for a while, but generally it was fine and the pressure was good.

Staff - we found the staff to generally be quite helpful. The men seemed more outgoing than the women, but all were friendly. We enjoyed the entertainment staff, the housekeeping staff, the beachfront aquatics staff, and the front desk. The only time I had difficulty was with one guest services woman who was a bit dour.

Grounds - the grounds were generally well kept. The buildings and grounds show some signs of wear, but the gardens are lovely and the pool area is generally picked up and clean (not immaculate). I'd suggest some benches around the gardens. The lobby was clean and always busy. The general layout - As you enter the hotel lobby, there is a seating area with several groupings of comfortable chairs and comfortable lighting to the left. The front desk is to the right. The bathrooms are down the hall past the desk on the right. The guest services desk is just past the seating. This is where you can sign up for trips through companies that contract with the hotel, or sign up for your a la carte restaurant reservations. Hint - do that asap - they book up fast. Casino is semi-open air area of slot machines to the left past the guest services area. If you walk straight through the lobby you come to the lobby bar. Ahead to the right is the dining area - food and seating to the right, more seating to the left. It is semi-open air. Always bright and bustling during mealtimes. Continue straight ahead and you're in the pool area.

Upstairs in the main building you'll find a terrace area to the left, the adult bar, and at least one Italian restaurant. The Carribean restaurant is on the beach to the right. That is also where the basketball, shuffleboard, tennis courts and mini golf are. The kayaks, paddleboats and sailboats are on the beach to the left. Kayaks and paddleboats can be taken out by guests, but you have to get a ticket at the shack on that beach for a ride on the sailboat which goes out and back many times a day. These are all free. You can pay for a glass bottom boad ride, snorkel trip, or other activities. Snorkeling equipment is free, and there are plenty of fish to be seen from the beach. There is a ping pong table and pool table between the dining area and the pool on the left, and they're always busy.

The pool has a large swimming area and then a narrower area that circles around the stage, with a few bridges between the stage/sitting area island and the rest of the lounge chair areas. While eating you have a view of the pool, and a bit of a view of the ocean beyond.

Rooms are in Buildings 1 - 7. Building 2 is to the left of the pool area. Rooms are designated by the building number, then floor number, then room number. So 2126 (our first room) is building two, first floor, room 26. Building four seems older, and five seems newer, of the ones we experienced.

There is a pool bar to the left of the pool, which also has the hamburger, hotdog and grilled cheese grill. Farther to the left is the shack where you can get popcorn, ice cream, nachos, jerk chicken and jerk pork during the day.

The adult swim up bar and pool (contained within a fenced area) is to the far left on the property. The gym is to the far right. It's a stand alone building with a variety of equipment (which, sadly, I did not use).

Waterfront - the waterfront covers a wide expanse, but it is a narrow beach with many palapas for shade. Unfortunately, you do have to get up early if you're looking for a seat in the shade, as folks reserve the seats quite early. Because we need shade (fair skin, history of skin cancer in the family) I joined in that unfortunate category of guest. There is a small man-made island in front of the main beach, and the water is shallow from the beach to the island so you can walk across. But there are deeper areas along the beach, though probably not more than four feet. You can soak, wade, snorkel and swim a bit, but it is not deep ocean here. Negril has that. The sand is okay on the beach but there are some rocks and coral, so if you have tender feet, use sandals or watershoes. If you're in the water, to move from one area to another you may have to climb up an area of seagrass and walk over it to get to the next area. We did that to snorkel. So here too, if you're concerned, use flippers or watershoes. But the advantage is that kids can swim and snorkel without being in deep water. Snorkeling was great for a busy beach with shallow water. There are plenty of fish and other critters. The water may get cloudy when stirred up - it's a sand bottom. And I think because it's sand, the colors aren't as vivid as a coral reef, but there are plenty of beautiful fish, as well as the occasional small octopus or ray. The areas by the jetties or around the island are where many fish congregate. There are also sea urchins, so no touching! Some people walked out on the sand bar or sea grass past the island toward the coral reef, but I didn't.

Towels - you sign them out and return them from the same place as the snorkeling equipment.

Food - We ate at the Carribean restaurant and found much of what we had each night at the buffet was what was served there. We heard the Italian restaurant wasn't great. But the buffet had more than enough selection to keep us happy. Try the jerk chicken, steamed vegetables and callaloo during lunch and dinner when available, and cornmeal porridge (for breakfast). A disappointment - not more fresh fruit. There was usually pineapple, watermelon and cantaloupe, but no papaya or mango. Occasionally there was delicious grapefruit.

Other hints - exchange currency at the currency exchange across the street to the right. Don't forget to look in the other direction for oncoming traffic as you're crossing. Cash travelers' checks there too. The shops across the street are quite reasonable for souvenirs and will bargain with you.

Another hint - we lined up drivers instead of paying the rates listed on the front board for taxi rides to various locations. One driver was Dennis from the website - he took us to Dunns' River Falls - but we paid admission. He then showed us a bit of the rainforest (driving up and back). But if you request a particular person someone else may claim to be that person. For example, we lined up a tour with one of the waterfront guys on his day off. He lined up a driver. His name is Davion, and when I went out to look for him, a taxidriver said "I'm Davion." I said "No you're not!"

By the way, we went to Negril with Davion. There were six of us and it cost $200 for the day - he and the driver were charging $150 but in discussing tip, etc, it wound up being $200 - and worth it! They picked us up at 11:00 a.m.. We drove to Margaritaville which took over an hour. We swam on the beach there - soft sand, beautiful water, a water trampoline the kids loved. We ate at a place just down the beach, and then left. If you do this, pick a quicker place for lunch, since we missed some beach time. But we chatted wtih Davion and really enjoyed his company. Then we went to Rick's bar - watched cliff divers, and then the kids jumped from a low level. Davion is a certified lifeguard and he was ready to jump in after the kids! Then he took us to "The Caves" - another bar - where the kids jumped from a higher platform into 25 feet of water. They liked that so much they didn't want to snorkel. But I did. So after Davion finished watching them from the water, he joined me to snorkel a bit. Beautiful cove, reef below, clear water, great fish. Then we walked over to the lighthouse, and he had the lighthouse keeper open it up. We watched sunset from the lighthouse. Bring a tip for the lighthousekeeper. Davion said I could share his e-mail address, so if you're interested in this, please feel free to contact me.

Shows at night - variable. Adult talent show and crab races weren't fine entertainment, but folks had fun. And there were some great shows - UMOJA dance company was terrific, and the drumming the last night at the beach barbecue was also wonderful.

Back to the hotel - Overall, this was a great trip. We felt comfortable letting my son, niece and nephew (ages 10,11 and 13) wander the grounds. Younger kids sometimes joined them. They made friends, and all played together snorkeling, swimming, and participating in hotel activities. If you're really fussy about your room having all the amenities, the grounds being perfect, or don't want a place where kids are running around, this is probably not for you. There are lines for drinks and food and no waiters on the beach. But if, as they say in Jamaica, this is "no problem", you can have a great time here. For us, the price was right, and the trip was delightful.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

I have to say that my 2 year old had a great time-not sure my husband and I can say the same. Though from Jamaica, we've traveled the caribbean all the way to Europe, and after staying at Sandals, it is hard to be pleased, so I will just give an overview of what took place.

Front Desk
Beautiful and well kept and updated -staff, especially Somonia (sp) gave top service, and asked for nothing in return. I tried to tip her on my way out, but was told we couldn't tip (her manager was standing close), but she deserved a large tip, better yet another job at a leading hotel that would probably pay her more.

Staff- Marvelous is not the word to describe them, if it was for the service we would always return, the staff in the dinning worked really hard to make sure everyone is happy. I even asked for porridge 9 oclock at night for my son, they did not have it, but guess what in 5 mins they got it.

Pools -Beautiful, but cold, but my son didn't mind
Beach - Great

Entertainment-a lot for children to do, they perform throughout the day and at dinner, they have outside entertainers come in, and they are great.

Hotel - Out dated and in need of major TLC, rooms were a bit old, strange enough TheWexfordResort, which is a low budget non inclusive hotel was a better quality. The bathroom had it's own smell?

Grounds - Lovely

Food - The stands by the pool was nasty to say the least, even the cranberry and pineapple tasted like nothing you'd imagine, the burger and hot dog just nasty-my 2 other best friends stayed there and has no problem with it, but if you know good food it will be a problem. The chief in the dinning did good depending on the night. I really enjoyed my stew peas. food average, nothing exciting- the variety was not plentiful. What ever you do, do not stay at Gloriana and don't fly air jamaica to get there, your cloths will arrive 1 week later, that's what happened to us and 180 other folks.

Overall
Good if you are on a budget and have several children - if only one child like us pick Hilton (they have a water park and better food).

Hope this helps

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
langley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

this is not a place for adults. the food was terrible. the beach is all cora , and not very deep.not alot for adults to do , the entertainment , is god awful, it is all done by the millons of kids there.if you have kids this is the place to go. there lounge is about 30 by 30 , and it shuts down at 1 am. then there is nothing to do.room service is not that good.no room service for 2 days. this is not a all inclusive,if you would like to go to the games room, it cost money. bingo cost 1 dollor american , and you get 5 dollors in jamaican to spend in the casino. when you arrive you don't get your room until 3 pm .the work is done at night , hammering all night . the management is very uncaring.and so is the owner .

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Overall this is a good solid resort. Nothing fancy but nothing too bad about it from my experience.

The beach is pretty decent with nice sand but the water has plenty of seaweed, but there are areas of clear water without the weeds.

Lots of things to do here, has so many ammenities and facilities all close by to each other. And there's lots to do for children.

The resort may be getting up there in years but the room I had was perfect and very spacious and comfortable.

The rock piers here make a good place for fishing. I caught a few using only chewed gum as bait. But you can get shrimp by asking one of the cooks and tipping him.

The staff and bartenders are fairly friendly at this place. The bartenders in particular liked talking just to make conversation even if they were doing it for more tips.

The food ain't the greatest but it's better than in Cuba. I'm Jamaican and some of the Jamaican food here ain't so good. I'd rather have it from home than here. Though the jerk chicken at the jerk hut is damn good. A-la-carte food is good though.

Stayed July 2007
Coquitlam, B.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

We arrived early Saturday morning after taking the red eye to find out our room was not ready - which was fine because the travel agent had phoned ahead and asked for a hospitality room which they said was no problem - it was a problem-there hospitality room was the bathroom- We finally got a room at 2 i think because we hounded them every hour since 9 am - when we got to our room it was right across from the playground - we have no kids - another couple that were on our flight had 3 kids with them and were also waiting for their room-why the hotel didn't give them our room is beyond me (They checked in before us) they were nice though as they upgraded us to a oceanview room the next day-but-another couple we met on the plane also wanted an upgrade and they charged them an extra $350.00???? The food sucked-the only time i had a hot meal was when i ordered an omelet in the morning-otherwise it was salad and fruit for me - the one a la carte we went to was Sorrento's and of course that meal wasn't
hot either - the shopping is great - we went with another couple and walked across the street and bartered with the cab drivers for a 4 hour tour and got a deal at $20.00 each - i recommend the Rafting trip-we had Neville and he was great - Negril is the place to go-absolutely beautiful-we talked with a few people who stayed at Sunspree and vowed never to return - as we won't either-if we go to Jamaica we will definately go to Negril - much nicer

• Liked — the island
  • Disliked — food
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manhattan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the resort from Jan. 31 to Feb. 8. I wanted to respond to the last review that thought perhaps her travel agent , and not the resort, had lost their room reservation. It happened to us on Jan. 31st as well, so I think it is fair to assume that it most definitely is a problem with the reservation desk. Amazing to think there were two parties that day trying to convince the desk that they had reservations. We had actually called the resort a few days earlier to obtain a confirmation number with the resort, so we really thought we were all set. Surprise, surprise!! After about twenty minutes, the reservation desk located our confimation number, but it was under a different name!!! So much for calling ahead and thinking everything is all set!!

We had lousy weather that week, but that is not the fault of the resort. I was terrribly surprised, however, by the lack of initiative taken by the entertainment and/or aquatic staff to occupy guests during the inclement weather. They were hanging around doing absolutely nothing. We are frequent all-inclusive resort travellers, and we are used to extra activities being added when weather is not ideal.

The entertainment at the resort is one of the areas that does need a lot of improvement. In general, I thought the restaurant, bar and housekeeping staff were very friendly. Always greeting guests with a smile or a few words. I was amazed that the entertainment staff could walk by guests without ever uttering a "good morning" or "hello." The new management should take a few trips to some other all-inclusives and see just how well the entertainments staffs are trained at other resorts.

Also, with respect to the entertainment, it is very unfortunate that the house band seemed to think that we just wanted to be entertained by them. Once in a while, the singers should move off the dance floor, go back on the stage, and let the guests dance. If management really feels that these house bands should monopolize the stage all evening, then they really need to think about opening the disco again. We saw the brochures from the old resort (they still hand them out with the room key), and it shows that there was a disco on the second floor until recently. Because I had no opportunity to dance with my husband, I would not return.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay? Share your experiences!