“Absolutely loved it!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Absolutely loved it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed 2 weeks here in a group of 15 adults and children. It was my first time in jamaica and I had no idea what to expect, I haven't got any complaints about service, staff, food, cleanliness or location and I would most definitely return. The kids loved it the entertainment both day and night was 10/10 and the kids club was great for the younger children if you wanted some child free time on the adult beach or pool. Hoping to return next year. Keisha is an amazing lady who will go out of her way to help. I read poor reviews on this site before we arrived and I was sceptical about it but it definitely exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
  • Polish first
Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here one night as we had splurged on Jewel Runaway Bay and Iberostar Grand Rose Hall previously and our airline tickets were changed so we could either extend another night at Iberostar or try something else for a new experience,I am all for trying something new so we stayed here for 1 night before catching our flights back home.
Check in was a long wait in line but they were kind and offered punch to us as we waited in the heat.
We got there at 1230 and the room wasn't ready so they kindly stored our luggage and told us to enjoy some lunch and we did and it was okay.
They had constant entertainment which did help pass the time but by 2 pm it was so hot and with no air condition place to go we went back to the front desk where there continued to be a long line and where we observed people now checking in getting there room keys,so we begged for our and the man finally gave us the room keys yeah!!!
The room was average hotel room decently clean could have been cleaner.They did have my favorite bath and body works toiletries in the bathroom which is always a plus.
We stayed in room 5317 with a beautiful ocean view. Room had free WiFi so we called home to check on kids for free. The room had a nice love seat to sit on. The balcony was small compared to the other resorts we had been to.
Didn't go to any specialty restaurants but from what other people were saying they were pretty good
The saving grace about this place was the laundry they had a washer and dryer for free and we got all of our laundry done,yeah,I could see this as a big plus for parents with children on vacation.At the other resorts you have to pay for laundry service which can get quite expensive.
The beach was okay,not sure if the litter was from people that day using it or if it just isn't normally cleaned.
After eating lunch at the buffet we decided against it for dinner and took a over priced 60 usd round trip taxi ride to a restaurant called Pier one that was less than a 10 min ride we checked with different drivers and some charged more,really?
The food was okay nothing to write home about but the views were outstanding.
Check out was quick ,our private ride back to the airport didn't show up so we caught a decently priced shuttle .
This is a good budget place especially if your low on funds but want to experience Jamaica and if you have children because they seem to have a lot for them to do and all of the children we saw were very happily giggling and playing.
Minus the long wait to get into the rooms in the heat it was decent stay.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room its great. Be prepared for lots of children running around it's a family...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear KARLANETTETX,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is regrettable that you were not satisfied with the service and experience at our property. Please accept our sincere apologies for your overall dissatisfaction. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I just returned from spending 2 weeks at the Holiday Inn Sunspree. I'd read the reviews and been warned by the travel agent and I wasn't expecting a 5 star property. For the very little we paid, this was an awesome experience.

1. The hotel is literally 5-10 minutes from the airport so it was convenient.

2. Check in was a bit long - but we received a cocktail and we made it through without any complaints.

3. Our first room was in building 5. We'd requested a nice view and we did get a beautiful ocean view. The room itself was average. There was no bathtub, only a shower - which I don't like, and no mini-fridge (which are apparently reserved for suites, however you can request one). Our a/c also sounded like a tractor trailer. The next day we requested a room change. I wanted to be in building 1, overlooking the entire resort and ocean. They upgraded us to a deluxe room - which meant a mini-fridge, and sitting area. We had a great view and we were close to everything. The trade off is the noise. It's quite loud into the evening (like 1-2am). We were happy though, and stayed here for the rest of the 2 weeks.

**There are 6 or 7 buildings on this property - if you get a room in building 3-7, it's much quieter however you are further away from the action. So it's personal preference.

4. I liked the space that this resort had. There was tons of beach frontage - lots of lawn chairs, 2 or 3 pools, 2 hot tubs, a few bars... overall I was impressed. One thing I didn't like was that you couldn't find a single spot above 3 feet to swim in - not in the pool, not in the ocean. I hate that. I love to swim, and I hate shallow water.

5. The food.... ok, let's start with the ala carte restaurants. I liked that it was easy to book. You showed up in the morning and booked for the next evening. You were never refused unlike at other resorts. The Seabreeze seafood restaurant was amazing. I paid the extra $20 both times and had lobster and steak. Really delicious. I loved the Italian restaurant. We had the bacon wrapped beef both times as it was amazing. The Caribbean restaurant, ironically, was horrible. The service was slow and the food less than mediocre. We never made it to the Japanese restaurant but that also required an additional $20 to eat.

The buffet ... Ok... 100%, you will be disappointed on the first day. Buffet's are never what you hope they'll be. They only offer a handful of options - and dessert is the worst! 3 or 4 little cakes and jello. However, buy day 3, your expectations are lowered and you'll really start to enjoy it. They always have a good mix of American dishes mixed with local favourites. There is jerk chicken, stewed chicken, lots of fish - always mashed potatoes and rice ... They have a different station every night, maybe pasta, tacos, roast pork etc. Breakfast is their no fail meal. They can't screw it up - eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes or french toast, fruit, omelet station, and some local favourites like Ackee and Saltfish and porridge.

In addition they have a jerk chicken hut which is decent and a hamburger/fish shack which is passable... and a snack hut where you can get ice cream and nachos.

So all in all, the food is acceptable. There are pop machines everywhere, and the drinks run freely. So for what you pay, you can't beat it.

6. This is a family resort, so there are a lot of kids. There are also a lot of kid activities - and kids are often included in the entertainment. So if you aren't a fan of them, stay somewhere else.

7. The entertainment was nice. I loved how they had a band or played music every night in the main yard, where the buffet overlooked - very romantic.

Final notes: I only saw one bug the entire trip, a gigantic cock roach in the hall - that was frightening lol. The staff was friendly and polite, no issues there. They require a hold on your credit card when you check in.. I think it's $45-$75. It's not much but just be prepared. The beds are so rock hard, I could barely move when I woke up each morning.

Room Tip: Buildings 1 and 2 overlook the pool but are louder. Buildings 3 - 7 are quieter but further away.
Philadephia, PA - USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Based on reading reviews from Trip Advisor, the hotel was what I expected. I came here with my husband and his brother and his brother's girlfriend. The hotel was definitely more for families than couples. There was a small adult only pool and section of the beach where we spent all of our time. Which brings me to the beach...it was so incredibly small. If you're picturing long strolls along the water, think again. Others noted this in their reviews, but the water only went up to about waist high at the deepest part of the ocean you were allowed in. Probably the worst part of the trip was the food. I love food, but there really wasn't anything good to eat except maybe the eggs at breakfast and the jerk pork from the Jerk Hut. I pretty much lived on that as everything else was pretty terrible. We went off the resort to eat twice even though it was an all inclusive, just to get a decent meal. I saw some reviews that said the employees here were rude - we didn't find that to be the case. I was looking for a budget friendly trip, but I think I would spend a little more next time to make sure I have a better experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear LENLAS,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered specifically with the food. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Karen G.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just returned from an excellent 2-week stay at the Sunspree and can highly recommend the hotel for those looking for a relaxing break. Whilst the hotel does cater for children and families it also has quiet space space for adults and couples looking for somewhere to wind down. Aside from the weather which (what can I say) is glorious, the accommodation is in the process of being refurbished but is nice, clean and comfortable, and the staff couldn't be more polite, helpful and accommodating. We've been 8-times already and have once again booked to go back next year ... may be see you there?

Room Tip: Sea views are lovely. If you like the buzz of the entertainment aim for buildings 1 or 2, if you wa...
Long Island, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I gave the H.I. Sunspree another chance and this may be my final visit.
We spent six days five nights Aug.20-25 just needed some time away to unwind. We were not told about the returning visitor private managers dinner, another couple we met mentioned it in conversation.
The food as actually gotten worst. I find myself eating at the jerk hut more often than expected.
We dined at the upstairs restaurant two nights, same menus each night no variety. The waiting staff was very friendly and nice at the restaurant and seem to enjoy talking to us about Jamaica attractions.
Our room 6307 was clean and quiet and across from adult pool area.
When you visit Sunspree bring a large Soda cup because their dining room cups run out often and lines develop, their cups are a little bigger than a shot glass. You can purchase large soda cups for $7 across the street from Hotel. Hotel charges $15. There is a Mini strip mall with great deals on souveniers, There is a man made island across from pool area very quiet with shallow water, good for snorkeling, stay to your far left or right of island the ocean is deeper with less rocks and seaweeds.
Nightly entertainment is very weak, subpar acts with no fan fare. The best time is after the shows when the hotel's DJ hooks up and the entire lobby turns into one big club....
Our friends received an upgrade to a junior suite after complaining about original room size....
Do not go to Sunspree expecting a five star hotel, it is a two to three star at best.....

Room Tip: Rooms towards Adult Pool area very quiet no kids
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear dentaff,

Krysllin G.
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a great time here, but the hotel is in need of a refurbishment. At times staff were seen to put buckets onto dining tables to catch water that was leaking through the ceilings, and when you looked up you could see loads of patches where they had previously had the same problem. The first room we were allocated was not at all nice, very dark, not very safe for me in that it was on the ground floor and easily accessible via our balcony for any potential intruders. You could easily see from the patio door that it had been forced previously. However, we asked to be moved and within 24 hours we were, to a junior suite, which was perfectly fine. This is an all inclusive hotel, so we did find that we were forever waiting for clean cups to be put out for drinks, as there were never enough. The food was of a good standard, but a little more variety would have been better, however, there was something for everyone, you would never go hungry. I wasn't much for the "canteen" feel to the restaurant though, which was buffet style. The plastic chairs were very sweaty to sit on in those temperatures!! The swimming pool was great and my children were in it all day every day. I liked the fact that we had a beach right on the doorstep, with a shallow patch of water to wade through that took you over to a small island that you could relax on and take in the views. The staff were all very pleasant, and overall the hotel did look good, but as I said, it does need some work. All in all though, I would go there again.

Room Tip: go for a full or partial sea view, ideally on the top floor for safety and less noise. 4th floor th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Louise H,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay, highlighting on what we can improve further. I apologize if you were initially inconvenienced with the first room you were given but I am glad to know that this has been addressed immediately. Your additional concerns about the food served has been noted and will be used to consider for improvements.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and business and we all hope you can give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay? Share your experiences!