I just returned from spending 2 weeks at the Holiday Inn Sunspree. I'd read the reviews and been warned by the travel agent and I wasn't expecting a 5 star property. For the very little we paid, this was an awesome experience.
1. The hotel is literally 5-10 minutes from the airport so it was convenient.
2. Check in was a bit long - but we received a cocktail and we made it through without any complaints.
3. Our first room was in building 5. We'd requested a nice view and we did get a beautiful ocean view. The room itself was average. There was no bathtub, only a shower - which I don't like, and no mini-fridge (which are apparently reserved for suites, however you can request one). Our a/c also sounded like a tractor trailer. The next day we requested a room change. I wanted to be in building 1, overlooking the entire resort and ocean. They upgraded us to a deluxe room - which meant a mini-fridge, and sitting area. We had a great view and we were close to everything. The trade off is the noise. It's quite loud into the evening (like 1-2am). We were happy though, and stayed here for the rest of the 2 weeks.
**There are 6 or 7 buildings on this property - if you get a room in building 3-7, it's much quieter however you are further away from the action. So it's personal preference.
4. I liked the space that this resort had. There was tons of beach frontage - lots of lawn chairs, 2 or 3 pools, 2 hot tubs, a few bars... overall I was impressed. One thing I didn't like was that you couldn't find a single spot above 3 feet to swim in - not in the pool, not in the ocean. I hate that. I love to swim, and I hate shallow water.
5. The food.... ok, let's start with the ala carte restaurants. I liked that it was easy to book. You showed up in the morning and booked for the next evening. You were never refused unlike at other resorts. The Seabreeze seafood restaurant was amazing. I paid the extra $20 both times and had lobster and steak. Really delicious. I loved the Italian restaurant. We had the bacon wrapped beef both times as it was amazing. The Caribbean restaurant, ironically, was horrible. The service was slow and the food less than mediocre. We never made it to the Japanese restaurant but that also required an additional $20 to eat.
The buffet ... Ok... 100%, you will be disappointed on the first day. Buffet's are never what you hope they'll be. They only offer a handful of options - and dessert is the worst! 3 or 4 little cakes and jello. However, buy day 3, your expectations are lowered and you'll really start to enjoy it. They always have a good mix of American dishes mixed with local favourites. There is jerk chicken, stewed chicken, lots of fish - always mashed potatoes and rice ... They have a different station every night, maybe pasta, tacos, roast pork etc. Breakfast is their no fail meal. They can't screw it up - eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes or french toast, fruit, omelet station, and some local favourites like Ackee and Saltfish and porridge.
In addition they have a jerk chicken hut which is decent and a hamburger/fish shack which is passable... and a snack hut where you can get ice cream and nachos.
So all in all, the food is acceptable. There are pop machines everywhere, and the drinks run freely. So for what you pay, you can't beat it.
6. This is a family resort, so there are a lot of kids. There are also a lot of kid activities - and kids are often included in the entertainment. So if you aren't a fan of them, stay somewhere else.
7. The entertainment was nice. I loved how they had a band or played music every night in the main yard, where the buffet overlooked - very romantic.
Final notes: I only saw one bug the entire trip, a gigantic cock roach in the hall - that was frightening lol. The staff was friendly and polite, no issues there. They require a hold on your credit card when you check in.. I think it's $45-$75. It's not much but just be prepared. The beds are so rock hard, I could barely move when I woke up each morning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- *All rates displayed are All-Inclusive* When comparing Jamaica hotels, consider the All-Inclusive Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Hotel-Montego Bay Jamaica. After an extensive renovation, this favorite Montego Bay hotel looks fantastic! The renewed color theme throughout the hotel will help you kick off your Jamaica vacation. A newly refreshed lobby, enhanced guestrooms with flat screen TV's, restaurants, beach and swimming and sunning areas make this Jamaica hotel better than ever. This Jamaica resort is located approximately 7 minutes from the Montego Bay International Airport. We offer an array of services as well as optional tours. Our wedding coordinator can help you plan your dream Caribbean wedding. Please look at our package page for more information. Conference facilities available. Children activity centre from 6 months to 12 years. The All- Inclusive Caribbean vacation includes room, non-motorized water sports, three delicious meals and snacks - buffet or a la carte. Please note: Some restaurants are not open every day and require reservations. See food and beverage section for schedules. Local brand cocktails and soft drinks. *Must advise arrival flight in info field when making reservations. Taxes and service charges included. Our property offers a courtesy lounge with luggage storage area and shower facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Jamaica
- Montego Bay Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Jamaica
- Holiday Inn Rose Hall
- Rose Hall Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay Jamaica
- Holiday Inn Montego Bay Jamaica
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Jamaica