“Great Time for a Reasonable Price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
mountaintop
“Great Time for a Reasonable Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here 6 nites with my 4 middle age girlfriends, enjoyed it. Is a family oriented resort , lots of children. Room was very clean, no complaints. Food was also very good, staff was friendly, went out of their way to serve you. Lots of security. I never felt threatened. The outside of the resort was not good, but their is a wall around the complex to deter intruders. I enjoyed to ocean water, and the island located 50 yds from the beach. I also enjoyed using the kayaks and the small catamaran. I would recommend visiting Nigril with the 7 mile Bch, Ricks Cliff Diving , and the Nigril version swim with the Dolphins.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,463)
  • Polish first
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

So while its all fresh in my mind (we returned yesterday) I will be as honest as I can on this resort. This was my second time at the Sunspree Resort and my wife's third so we knew exactly what to expect. In holidays at the resort it really is very consistent in what it delivers.

I must point out to people who are planning to book/travel to this resort it is only classed as a 3 star accommodation, but it is a lot better than 3 star you would experience in the UK! But yet people still complain about it, if you want 5 star then you need to book into the Half Moon which is just down the road.

If you have never been to Jamaica before, everyone says take Jamaican dollars. Just take US, its accepted everywhere, some of the smaller change you receive in Jamaican Dollars.

STAFF: -The staff at the resort are nothing but polite, very helpful and always have a smile on their faces, some of the barstaff we have to mention some of the ones we encountered (Neil, Marshall, Lenroy, Antoinette- at the Jerk Hut, Casheda, Orett) as they were good humoured and by the end of the holiday had some good banter with and new our drink orders when we went for a refill!.

The staff at the Portside restaurant were also very polite and helpful despite it being the main restaurant and extremly busy most of the time. They did a great job of keeping on top of the tables, clearing down and providing you with lots of Blue Mountain coffee (which if you like coffee you have to try this).

Also a big thank you to Winsome Hooper - guest services manager who helped us out with many questions and helped organize an amazing evening for my wife's birthday. So a big thank you to her for that.

Entertainment staff work their backsides off to keep you entertained along with the local acts that do the evening shows, big thanks especially to Davia and Greg who were truly hardworking at keeping everyone entertained.

FOOD:- The food is very good, sometimes very similar in some parts but they do a great job in trying to keep it different each day.

Portside is the main buffet style restaurant, and does lots of local and European food so if your a bit interested in trying the local food then you can but there is also a good selection of food for everyone especially the kids who had there own little selection of food.
This covers everything from Breakfast (7am-10:30am - continental breakfast 10:30-11am), Lunch (12noon - 2:30pm) and dinner 6-10pm) so there is always food on the go here.
One point to be aware of is this does not have a dress code during breakfast and lunch but in the evenings you cannot wear swimming shorts/costumes or vest tops for dinner.

There are a la carte restaurants which you can book, only 24 hours in advance at the bookings desk. Check at the bookings desk as we discovered they have menus so you can check out the choice.

Sorrento (Italian) - dress code of formal shirt/long trousers and no flip flops. so pack some of these if you want to go. Kenko (Japanese)- dress code as per Sorrento. Seabreaze r(Seafood) and De Terrace (Jamaican) your ok with T-shirt and flip flops.

Also there are snack bars, The Jerk Hut (jerk pork and chicken as well as a bar), Jus Kiddin (hot dogs, nacho's, Ice Cream, Pop corn).

I love my coffee so if you do, check out the 'coffee station', near portside next to the pool table. help yourself to coffee most of the day.

ROOMS: These were a little tired looking but saying that were well maintained and cleaned, maid service most days unless you popped the do not disturb sign on the door. There is a safe in the room which has no charge unlike other hotels I have stayed at. Bed was large queen size, little on the soft side but thats just my personal view and there was also a sofa bed. TV and alarm clock plus a coffee machine.

We had an issue with the WC in the room where it kept filling, reported this to the reception desk and within an hour it was fixed along with a call to the room on the phone to check this was all resolved.

Highly recommended is either a high level of insect repellant spray or a plug in mosquito zapper and cortezone cream or you will be eaten alive, they may be small but they have a massive appetite! They do what they call 'fogging' most days, so if you see a guy with what looks like a leaf blower on fire thats it!!

GROUNDS/FACILITIES:- The grounds were maintained daily, mowed, trimmed etc and nothing looked overgrown or untidy ever.

ACTIVITIES:- all the non-powered watersports are free, windsurfing/canoe/kayak/pedalos, all others are chargeable. To give you an idea the banana boat was $30 dollars for 15 mins and the para-sailing was $70 for 10 mins.

There is a gym, it is very small and does get full quite easily so you may need to go early or later in the day to avoid the rush or just avoid it altogether and grab a drink!!!

There are lots of excursions you can go on, if your interested in the music of Bob Marley I would recommend the trip to his mausoleum. The trip I took went to Nine Miles which is his birthplace and also where Bob is buried. If you want to learn about his life and music don't expect to learn much here (rent or buy a copy of the film 'Marley) which will give you all you need to know), its slightly commercial but an amazing place to visit mainly it being his final resting place but also for the scenery on the travel there.

On the way back we stopped at Discovery Bay (Christopher Columbus landed here and discovered Jamaica) which is also a very nice bay apart from the large iron ore type industrial works right at the back of the back.

All in all a great place to stay, great for adults, great for kids.

Room Tip: We asked to be in one of the furthest blocks from the main area around the pool, if you don't mi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Graham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

For the last two years I have led mission teams into Kingston (April 2012 and June 2013), and we have ended the trip by taking the Knutsford Express to MBJ and stayed at the Sunspree. Both times, we have had a great experience. The food, service, staff, and facilities were better than average. It is family friendly and I have nothing negative to say about this place. This year's team was four families and we got the kid suites which were a good choice.

Of course it is always possible to have a negative experience or two when staying at any tourist hotel that deals with many people every day. All I can tell you is that we are two for two in regards to good experiences with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Loganville, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed at this property in May...I have been on vacation for the last 2 months and this is my first opportunity to write this review...First off if you are planning to visit Jamaica please stay somewhere else. I am going to provide a fair and honest review. It does not take the Taj Mahal to please me but I do have to have decent accommodations in order to be pleased. I have stayed at many resorts and this is the absolute WORST! .

Pro - The food is great...as in very good. That is the one and only good thing that I can say about it.

Cons- This resort is in a bad area. The resort is mismanaged and that's an understatement. It is overran by locals and I mean many locals are allowed to walk right in and eat and roam all over the resort. I have been to many all inclusive resorts and I know and appreciate the locals and it was very obvious; parents and children with school uniforms and local guys are all over the place. After a long day of travel and then dining at the slowest reservation restaurant of all times, we turned in for the night. Only to turn back the bedding and find a dead roach on the stained sheets. I was horrified and upset because this was avoidable and unacceptable. For $195 a night this was not so good...I called the front desk and asked that the sheets get changed and that I get a return call from a manager. Well that call or visit did not come until hours later. Instead a very pregnant housekeeper came around midnight. Of course it was not her fault she just worked the night shift. Also the grounds are very dark and unsafe... We checked out the next day and went to the RIU Montego Bay Resort and it was worlds better and nothing like this dump. Buyer beware, if you are going to Jamaica go somewhere else!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear tiffanycoloredwaters,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and surpass the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am disappointed to hear that we have left you with a less than memorable experience. I sincerely apologize for the lapse in service and the dissatisfaction you had with our housekeeping services. We always aim to provide the highest level of service and deliver the best accommodation and we deeply regret that we were not able to exceed or at least meet your expectations on this occasion.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bellflower, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The hotel boosts of friendly staff. We came from the airport tired and they offered us free cold drinks. Though the room looks old yet it is clean. The food is even better, buffet 3 meals a day. If you get tired of it, they also serve sit down dinner by which you have to make reservation. Better bring semi-formal clothes for these restaurants don't accept beach attires. The hotel also had entertainment every night which was cool.

The only let down was their nurse station. So, better bring Off, Hydrocortisone, etc.

I would stay in the hotel if given another chance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Staff ok. Food ok management spineless, if you have a complaint and you are white British please dont expect for it to be addressed! Americans are treated so much better ad they are the majority as it was pointed out to me by the manager himself "it's a matter of economics" in other words they have more money ( you can be racist if your rich enough in this country!)

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Mabellucie1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincerest apology for the service you received that did not live up to your expectations. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves non delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Travelled from March 5-12, 2013.
It was our 10 year dating anni and we had our hearts set on Jamaica.
We started looking at prices for Jamaican resorts and almost gave up our dream, since everything was so expensive and we wanted to stay within $5000 for the entire trip (resort, airfare, excursions, tips, souvenirs etc).
Then we found HI and it came to just about $3600 for our entire family (2 adults, 1 child, 1 baby).
Our agent had told us ahead of time, not to expect a 5 star resort, so we went with no expectations.
We LOVED this place.

GUESTS:
I would definitely say that this place is family friendly or great for younger groups.
Its not really a honeymoon place.

STAFF:
EVERYONE here is super friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
We have stayed at 5 star hotels and not gotten half the treatment we got here.
Literally, by the end of the week, it felt like we had stayed with family the entire time.
Everyone smiled as we passed, made sure we were ok at the buffets and overall, made sure we had a good time.
My husband is a very friendly guy, so the entire week, we were treated like Royalty there.
Everyone stopped to talk to us and our kids (my daughter wore a different headband each day with cute outfits and each waitress always stopped to admire her).

FOOD:
The buffet was great.
We never went a night hungry.
My son who used to be a picky eater had PLENTY of choices.
The Banana bread at Breakfast is to DIE for.
We have never had Banana bread that good!

The restaurants are top notch and the waiters are superb.
You have to make reservations in the morning, but we never had issues with getting a spot.

The Jerk Hut is beyond delicious.
The jerk chicken, is just phenomenal!
The cheeseburger hut always had fresh food ready to go when the buffet was closed.

ROOMS:
Its average.
Not glamourous but not crappy.

PROPERTY:
Is always well maintained.
The water is shallow which was perfect as we had a young child with us.
He played in the water and we didn''t have to worry about high waves or anything.
The man made island is cute and a nice touch to the resort.

ADDED PERKS:
We went to the photography studio to ask about hiring a photographer and found out about their vow renewal service, which we ended up doing (I think they only do it on Thursdays every week), did that and hired the same photographer to do a family shoot on a seperate day.
We have so many great photos as memories.
Would highly recommend doing this.

TOURS/EXCURSIONS:
If you are going to do these, I would highly recommend booking them before you get there.
The excursion desk at the Resort is always busy and I didn't really find the deals very good.
We used a tour company called FUN TOURS and enjoyed it immensely.
We did the Dunns River Falls/Ocho Rios/Bob Marley tour one day, the Rastafarian Village/Montego Bay tour another day and then Negril another day.

Overall, this place is such a great value for what you pay.

Would we go back? WITHOUT A DOUBT! (and the only reason, because of the friendly staff!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay? Share your experiences!