“Would go back...but would do a few things differently” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Amesbury, MA
“Would go back...but would do a few things differently”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Overall, this hotel is great. The food is plentiful and available at almost all times, the little island/beach is beautiful and the snorkeling around the island was unexpected and quite good!

The pools were clean and well maintained - and the all-inclusive included everything we signed up for. We booked our vacation through CheapCarribean.com - and about a week before we left, NBC did an expose on Cheap Carribean. They made it out to be a scam - that nothing was as advertised. Needless to say, I was nervous!!! We got an excellent deal on our vacation and I was worried that we had been had! However, everything went really smoothly - and I would definitely book with CheapCarribean.com again. They delivered on everything they said. PHEW!!!

Check-in was a little slow, but the staff brought over complimentary cocktails (Jamaican Delights were DELISH) and we were soon at our room without issue. The room was fine. I am not super picky, though. It was clean, but clearly old. Beds were comfortable. Our room was in building 1 - parts of which are on the pool side. This makes for a nice view, but is one of the big regrets we had during our stay. They offer nightly entertainment (which is great), but we are not late-night people, and the music was extremely loud until 10:30 - 11 pm every single night. UGH! We should have changed our room on the 2nd day, but nobody wanted to pack everything up and make the move...so we stuck it out, but wished we had.

Here are some other pointers that will help you if you stay here:

1) Bring large beverage containers (or buy them in the shopping "plaza" across the street from the hotel). The all-inclusive glasses at the bar are tiny...but they'll fill up any size mug or container. Much easier than having to walk up to the bar over and over.

2) Men: Bring PANTS if you want to eat at the Italian restaurant (which is very good and worth the hassle). We made reservations and showed up with dress shorts - turned away!! Because my husband and boys did not pack pants, they offered to loan them pants - which they used (very funny-looked like clowns, but got to eat!). It was a little annoying to see that they don't enforce this rule for boys under 12. They also need to have collared shirts and no flip flops. They rigidly enforce the dress code (heard that they even turned away a wedding party!).

3) If you want a good driver/guide to bring you around (we went to Rick's Cafe in Negril to cliff-jump...FUN), a good person to call is Stanley with Stanley's Tours. He works right from the Taxi station in front of the hotel...but was a real treat. Super friendly and we felt completely safe and comfortable with him. My boys thought he was GREAT! He told us a lot about the Jamaican culture and brought us to the best shopping spots, etc.

4) If you go to bed early, DO NOT GET A ROOM BY THE POOL!

5) There is good (but fairly high pressure) shopping directly across the street from the hotel.

6) If you want to bring home some Jamaican Rum, booze is MUCH cheaper at the airport.

7) Don't expect luxury rooms (didn't see the upgraded rooms), but they are clean and no bugs at all.

8) I am gluten-free and have many dietary restrictions. I was worried about the buffet - but was able to find plenty of options that worked for me. Lots of fresh fruit, salads, grilled meat and fish, potatoes, etc. I was very relieved!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,218)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I went there with the family -myself, husband, 11mts old girl and 11yr old boy.on June 23-June 30. One of the reasons we chose this resort is because the had childcare included. The childcare is 9-6pm which is free but if you need a babysitter to go out at night you can book one through the hotel but at a extra cost.

The landscpe is very nice and well kept. The beach is nice but short, when I say short I mean the sand area distance to the water. I would advise you to wear swimming shoes because I was poked by a sea urchin and it was painful and had to pull the sparks out with a tweezer.

The food was average regular food and not very ethnic. Please bring your own cups because the ones there are small and are not washed properly I have seen them do the washing! The bar does not measure the alcohol so watch out..lol

The nightly entertainment was good. But I suggest going on excursions every other day so things don't get boring.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear pamela F,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Omaha NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife, son (10), daughter (9) and I stayed at Holiday Inn Sunspree June 25-June 30. This is a very good "bang for your buck" all-inclusive hotel. It is not the Ritz, nor does it try to be. I simply do not understand the negative reviews.

Staff/Rooms: The staff is friendly and very accommodating. The rooms are simple and clean. Some advice: Smile and be friendly. They will do the same. We had some issues with a noisy air conditioner on our first night. I brought it to their attention. They promptly sent someone to work on it. When that did not work, the gentleman came back with a different air conditioner and installed it. Problem solved.

Food/Drinks: The food is plentiful, varied and good. Make sure to check out the Jerk Hut. We had no issues getting reservations for specialty restaurants, all of which were very good. We even showed up at the Italian restaurant without a reservation and took advantage of a cancellation. The drinks were good and plentiful, and yes, the house beer is Red Stripe. The pool and the beach were both nice, although since its surrounded by a reef, it is a bit shallow.

Activities: There were ample activities, including snorkeling, catamaran trips, kayaks, games, contests, bingo, and water aerobics. The evening entertainment was surprisingly good.

Excursions: We took the Dreamer Catamaran excursion. It included great snorkeling, open bar, good vibes and stop at Margaritaville. I highly recommend this excursion. We also made a few trips to the Rose Hall Shopping area by complimentary shuttle and the shops across the street (the latter of which are a little rough).

Our main complaint: Our vacation time ended and we had to leave. All in all, a great time. I would return to Holiday Inn Sunspree.

parsippany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just came back from Holiday Inn Sunspree this was fourth trip to Jamaica first time staying here. First off they do not honor priority club, they could care less if you were the president of priority club. They should not even associate the Holiday Inn name to this resort because it was just not a Holiday Inn quality hotel or Holiday Inn should be ashamed to have their name on resort.
Stayed in Bldg 5 fourth floor they spray for mosquito with no warning to public and the thick fog of chemicals filled our entire fourth floor it smelled like something burning so one of the guest pulled the fire alarm and that caused everyone to panic and people were running down the stairs and hallway screaming fire. It took about twenty minutes for a manager to come and figure out the situation not a firemen not a firetruck and no apologies from the manager. Same night bldg 7 stuck in elevator called for help on phone nobody came to get us out. Pried doors open to get out.
Next night no water not a drop coming out of faucets to shower with not low water pressure no water at all. An hour later water came out brown again nothing from management no explanations and yet still continued to serve tap water that was brown.
Food reservations can't get them. You can try to get to a reservation at 7 am at 9 am all restaurants are booked. Who wants to get up every morning at 7 am when you are on vacation to try to get a dinner reservation. Tried making reservations from home were told can't do that but no problem to do while here, yea right. Had to attend manager party to complain to get a reservation rediculous. Dinner buffet is a joke, the quality of food at this resort is not even good this is a one star resort not two star. Oh yea if you would like to eat at japanese restaurant you need to pay 20.00 per person, so where is all inclusive come in at. The resort is old run down basketball net broke in pool and on court. Shuffle board broke, tennis courts were good, mini golf a joke. Everything shuts down at 5 o'clock, and the evening entertainment is pityful. Same thing everynight. The day time entertainment was another joke, they need to spend a day at the iberostar resort to find out what good entertainment is. The laundry facilites are filthy with their own workers doing their own laundry. There are no renovated rooms anywhere in this resort. There is no entertainment for teens at night and I mean 15-17 other than to drink alcohol of which is very easily obtained at this resort. Again Holiday Inn needs to step up if this is really one of their resorts to do something for peoples safety!!!!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Lhill2105,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Melissa, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My family and I vacationed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree between Jun 14-21. Upon arrival we were greeted by smiling staff, check-in was fast and easy. We had an ocean front room on the 3rd floor of bldg. 4, a big thank you to our housekeeper for doing a great job. The food was very good and the service at the Jamaican restaurant was excellent. Nightly entertainment was awesome. A big thank you to management and all the staff who made our stay memorable.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I had a nightmarish start to my vacation because after a lengthy flight and a somewhat drawn out check in with someone who was not very personable, which was quite a let down as you expect the front of house staff to be more engaging. After I got to my room I discovered that a case of mine was not there. The Management and security staff helped keep me calm down and track the case down, it was not taken off the transfer bus. The staff encouraged me not to worry and enjoy my vacation, this was hard but I got everything back the next day; albeit taking a costly J$5k Juta bus trip to the airport only to have the case delivered to the hotel. After this my Son and I explored the hotel, the food and take in the atmosphere. With so much food and drink available you feel like a kid in a candy shop, but we were there to embrace this experience and so we did. I balanced that out with some tennis, beach volleyball, football and swimming by the pool. It was fantastic meeting other people from all around the world and most of the staff make you feel welcome and want you to be a part of the Sunspree experience. But be aware ladies, you may encounter male members of staff who may wish to cross the line if you know what I mean, so don't keep your beer goggles or rose tinted glasses on for too long! The hotel was clean, the beds comfortable, bathroom clean and functional, beautiful views and the amenities and tabled activities were varied for adults and children. There was so much choice with the food as well as the restaurants that you will be spoilt for choice and I defy anyone not to find something to suit there palate. I loved chilling at the Jerk Hut the most, Troydell and the rest of the staff are so accommodating and fun which created a perfect family atmosphere for my Son and I. Liquid refreshment of all kinds were everywhere with several bars and food huts doted around the complex for adults and kids so everyone's thirst is kept at bay. The views are beautiful and the grounds are well maintained and the air feels so clear and clean that it almost seems medicinal. I could go into so much more detail but that would take up far too much time, furthermore I think that if you have the inclination or opportunity to visit this hotel don't hesitate. I will be returning as soon as I have the chance, it was relaxing, exhilarating and all inclusive in the positive sense. There are opportunities to go out and see a bit more of Jamaica if you wish, but this is a nice place to come back too as it does begin to feel like home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned from two weeks at the Sunspree travelling with my husband and cannot fault anything. The hotel is traditional rather than dated. We had a garden room which was very large and comfortable. The hotel was kept very clean and we found the staff to be very friendly and polite. They all worked very hard. The food was very good, plenty of variety and changed regularly. Breakfasts were particularly good and the omelette station first class. We tried the Italian and Jamaican restaurants and both were great. During the stay we spoke to several people who were staying at five star hotels and all had some complaints about their hotel. I would have no hesitation recommending the Sunspree to family and friends and would love to go again. There is something for everyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay? Share your experiences!