“Read This Review” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Salem, Massachusetts
“Read This Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Ok. After doing much research and reading many reviews we decided on this resort. My wife and I with our 10 year old daughter. In full disclosure I used Priority Points for the entire 8 night stay. So it was zero cost to us.

As we arrived at the hotel in a cab a bellman asked for my name and immediately escorted us to a "special" check in desk for Priority Club members, no waiting, great. He even got us a couple beers. :)

We were immediately checked in (2 hours early), as our check in was already prepared for us. They also set up reservations for 5 nights as various restaurants at the hotel. We were also invited to a special "General Managers" dinner for repeat visitors and Platinum Priority guests.

We stayed in building 1 on the 4th floor facing away from the main pool. We had a pillowtop mattress that appeared new, they was a nice size balcony overlooking the ocen and tennis courts, a couch with sitting area, a desk and small fridge. There are 7 buldings along the beach. Building 1 and 2 surround the main pool and building 7 is next to the adult pool. I would not want to stay in building 1 or 2 facing the main pool as they play music until 11:00 at night, it would be noisy, especially if you have young ones. And the main bar at the main pool stays open until 2:00 AM.

This place is VERY CLEAN. Our room was very clean. There was staff constantly walking around the cleaning, picking up empty cups. The beach chairs were clean. The pools were clean. Even though the facility is a few decades old they get major points for cleanliness.

95% of the staff was great, friendly and smiling, they really go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. This facility was recently bought by a local and you can tell the staff are proud to be working here.

The main pool is decent size but only 3.5 feet deep. There is a stage in the middle of the pool where games and fun events are run all day from water arobics in the morning to music at night. They really make it fun if you want activities to pass the time, lots of kids stuff. There is a small adult pool with a swim up bar (no food) at the other end of the facility.
There is an adult beach area near the adult pool that is very secluded and quiet if you wish. There is also a pretty secluded beach near the mini golf and shuffle board that was quitet. There is a small island (100 yds x 20 yds) about 100 yards from the beach that you can walk to that is never more than 3 feet deep. There is some small rock formations around the island with lots of fish, bring your mask and snorkel. There are plenty of chairs at the varios beaches and pool area for everyone. If you want shade get there early to get an umbrella. We really liked the option of pool or beach. There are kayaks available that we used. There are catamaran rides available but they wont let you take them out by yourself, short 15 minute rides but nice.

The General Manager's dinner was great. Buffet, but as many lobster tails a you could eat. Very nice perk if you are Platinum Priority Club.

The bar at the main pool serves fries, burgers, grilled cheese and fried fiish, food here is mediocre. Bring a large insulated mug/cup to use for drinks. The only beer they serve is Red Stripe on tap, cold and good. There are many mixed drinks to choose from but we especially liked the Hummingbird. There was a breakfast buffet that serves just about every breakfast item with an omlette station. We mostly just had the fresh fruit and yogurt. We give the breakfast buffet a B+ (no cream for coffee). There was a lunch buffet every day, we only used it twice as we mostly ate the jerk chicken, B+ for lunch buffet. There was a dinner buffet that we used 1 time which was very good, B+ or better but we mostly ate at the restaurants.
I ate at least 2 plates at the jerk chicken shack every day, at the beach and opens noon - 7:00, super good and healthy.
There was a kids hut that served soft serve ice cream and cheese dogs all day, i think my daugher had 30 ice creams.

The Italian Restaurant is excellent. The filet wrapped in bacon, the chicken on linguini and the snapper on linguini are 3 excellent dishes.
The Japanese restaurant was excellent and very entertaining. ($20 surcharge for adults was work it). Lobster here was fantastic, our daughter loved the cook, pretty funny to see a Jamacian cooking Japanese and he was probably the most entertaining we have seen.
We ate at the Jamacian restaurant and we would give a B, just OK
We ate at Seabreeze once, enough, was the low light for food of our stay.

Terry Anderson is in charge of fitness for the facility. He is fantastic. If you go to the gym be prepared for him to help you with those planks (back straight) or spot you on a lift. The gym is small but fully stocked with free weights and cardio equipment. There are also tennis clinics every day, if you are a player bring your racket, (but they have them for you),Terry will give you a great game. There are also classes throughout the week, my wife took a kickboxing class that pushed her. There are water arobics classes every day in the main pool.
There is a small 9 hole mini golf they we used every day.
There is shuffleboard. We played every day.

All and all we had a great time. This is not Atlantis, you will not be wowed by the facility. But it is very clean, the food is good, (except for the Italian, Japanese restaurants and jerk chicken whoch were great) and the people are great. If you have young kids they will love it. Although we met a few older people (50+) that were having a great time.

A great inexpensive all inclusive resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,469)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

On Feb.09, 2013 we had the second vacation here (first one in Sept.2012). Everything was good, starting with food, entertainment, services and activities available. How somebody else said in a revision, so many people forget their common sense at home.

Complaining about food? Ok, you're in vacation, but what variety of food you have at home? If you multiply you home menu with 10 and you add some new flavors you'll have the image of the food served at Holiday Inn. Fruits, fish, lamb, chicken, pasta, dairies, salads and a lot of other goodies. Some people never try a new food but they're complaining about a poor menu :(.

Activities? I saw a lot of tourists who don't know that kayak, catamaran and pedalo are for free...Snorkeling is excellent and you can do it 15m away from the beach. My wife attended water gymnastic daily at 10.30 in the pool. Each evening they have great entertainment for families (if you want to see U2 in concert over there you'll be disappointed) and kids have activities at the kids club (we have a beautiful painted T-shirt from last time - bring a white t-shirt with you and see when is the t-shirt painting scheduled and your kids we'll love it). Next time I'll love to do deep see fishing but I must find some partners because it costs 650$ up to 6 people. If you want to have some "genuine adventures" you can search a local guide on coachsurfing or hospitality websites or ask around because the hotel trips are expensive and won't show you the real Jamaica. We took only the shuttle bus for shopping but is only a big yard for tourists and you don't have to much choices of stores - a lot of jewelries, some drinks, few handcrafts and a loud terrace(nothing impressive for an hour between buses).

Rooms? First we had 5th building at ground level and now we had 1st building at 3rd floor. For sure at the ground level you'll feel more humidity, it's Caraibes man. You complain about noise? In this case just tell your neighbors not to drink, not to smoke or not to talk loud on the corridors...I'm joking. People are in vacation and everybody has different standards of noise absorption or alcohol absorption so complaining about hotel when your friend next room is noisy is just mean.

Restaurants? We loved all of them but the Japanese is a treat and deserves the 20$ surcharge per adult. The Jamaican was not extraordinary because you have Jamaican food in the buffet all day long but it was an interesting experience.

Service? Everybody's nice and treats you with a smile. You want a fast drink and you see a line of 5 people? Wait and you'll be served in 2 minutes or take a walk to some other bar - Jerk Jut, Lobby, Barefoot, Port Royal and Big Smaddy. You can get delicious burgers with cheese, fried fish, jerk chicken and pork, nachos with cheese, ice-cream, popcorn apart from the buffet .

Drinks? Just be careful what you ask because you'll get it :). They have it all. You want whiskey on rocks, tequila or tens of cocktails? You'll get it without a problem. I was asking all the time the bartender's choice of cocktail and I got some amazing stuff. The only specific order I had few times was rum cream with ice because I cannot find it in Quebec.

Tips? You want to leave a tip, they'll take it, but the service is the same for everybody. They also have a box at the reception to leave some kind of centralized tip for someone who gave you good service but I prefer to tip directly if I feel like.

All the premises are clean and they try to keep everything working. The ice machine doesn't work on your floor? Don't make such a big fuss and try other floor and you'll get your ice. You need a fridge? Just ask one and they will bring you. Tap water is good to drink, you won't see any mosquito and in case you arrive before check in or you check out few hours before your flight you have a place to leave your luggage safe and a place to change your clothes and to take a shower.

Weather was excellent, nice beach with shallow water for kids, clean and safe pool, lounge chairs everywhere (maybe you won't find a shadow place at 9.30 p.m. but a chair for sure you'll find. No problem with beach towels or other out of stock items like beer, food or you name it.

For sure we'll be back again but we look into a two week vacation because one week is not enough. If you want a personal butler and personalized menu I think it's better to look for another hotel. Here we had an extraordinary normal vacation making no big fuss if they repair an elevator for one day. We saw two weddings and a vows renewal (Valentine's Day) and it was wonderful. Imagine all guest jumping in the pool and the bride taking pictures with random people.

The resort is small and intimate and you have everything in a reach. Free WiFi internet works good but I feel sorry for the vacationers who had such a great time just texting and socializing on their tablets finding no pleasure in the Caraibes. Maybe they are the one posting pictures with so called messy rooms when in fact what you see it's a lost crab which found the door open and got into your room. Get real people and enjoy the views, the people around you and the "ya man" attitude. Jamaica is a wonderful country with nice, proud people. Some of them are poor but this is not a disease and they know how to live happily.

If you need some extra info I missed you can ask me and If I know I'll gladly answer your questions.

Room Tip: If you're not to picky and the room doesn't fit your need, no problem man, just go to the fr...
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at HI Sunspree Feb. 11-17, 2013 with family & friends for my daughters graduation. We were there last year as well & just had an ok time but the price was right & we thought we'd give it another try. So glad we did. From the minute we walked up to sign in to the time we signed out we were given nothing but great service. We couldn't believe it was the same place. The rooms we were given had been upgraded & looked really nice. The staff we socialized with were very friendly & the specialty dinners we had were really really good (Sorentos especially). We loved the jerk hut yet again this year (big shout out to Troydell & the gang) & we did some snorkling just to the left of the resort if you look out to the ocean & we ran into everything from sting rays to eels. It gets shallow in spots but if you can handle it, there are some awesome things to be seen. The evening shows even seemed to pick up a bit & we all enjoyed some of them. The place is still secluded but there are cheap taxis to be found that will take you anywhere you want to go. I'm glad we gave HI another try & after having such a good time this year, we'll be putting it on our list of places to visit while in Jamaica! To management, the upgrades are appreciated & the staff were just such a joy to be around. Thanks for a great time!

Room Tip: Sorentos beef tenderloin was the best food we had all vacation!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Aliso Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This resort is best for families who want to visit a new place and not break the bank. The resort is clean and the pool is perfect for the kids. The rooms are clean, but the beds are hard. If you like a soft bed you might have a tough time. I found rum helped. :)

The food was surprisingly good. I read the reviews and some people hated the food. I'm not sure how that was possible, but to each their own. We ate at two of the specialty restuarants, the Japanese and the Jamaican. We enjoyed trying new things and stepping outside of our comfort zone. The Jerk Hut did not disappoint and we loved eating there. The Barefoot Grill was perfect for lunch by the pool. My son enjoyed being able to go get a burger and fries whenever he was hungry. It made lunch so easy!

I found the staff to be nice and helpful. As I got to know some of the people who worked there and after talking to tour guides it gives you a new respect for the people and how hard they work. What I found appalling was the way they were treated by the guests. I'm pretty sure that if I worked there I wouldn't always have a smile on my face after being treated so poorly every day! We said hello to every worker at the hotel, smiled, and guess what we were given the same in return. A gardener on our last day he was so sorry to see us go. I was actually embarrassed at one point listening to people be so rude to the waitress. As I left the manager asked how we were and I promptly stuck up for the poor waitress.

As other reviews have said this is not the Hilton, it is not a 5 star resort, it is a Holiday Inn. If you could afford the Hilton or a 5 star resort then go there. If not, be polite and be respectful and enjoy your vacation. You are on vacation by the way. You could be at home working and not be laying by the pool with a rum drink in your hand.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 7...it was great for being away from the action. Our view was amazing.
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Attempted to check in with a party of four - two occupants in each room, rooms booked together and nearby through a third party agency. When attempting to check in past the check-in time, only one of the rooms is available, with no explanation or apology offered on why the other room isn't ready (we were later told they had a late checkout). We had to wait a few hours for our room. When we did get our room, it was on another part of the resort, away from our accompanying party. We were told our room would be moved the next day. This never happened. Every time we talked to the person working the front desk, we were told they'd take care of it. They failed on every level even to do the most basic of investigating to find out of our party could get the rooms as booked within the 24 hours we stayed. Eventually, we talked to our travel agency rep who was on-site, who contacted the same front desk manager numerous times - again, not obtaining any type of response from the front desk manager even after being told the issue would be take care of.

During that night, we realized neither of our rooms had hot water, except after running the water for 30 minutes. The wi-fi, which was to be free with our oceanfront upgrade, didn't work in either room. The next morning, the power would go our for five minutes here, ten minutes there, which obviously shut off the phone and A/C. However, when the power would eventually be restored, both the phone and A/C unit would need a maintenance worker to reset it in order to work. Judging by the service we had already received, I'd doubt you'd get any type of service in this area.

Eventually, we asked our travel agency representative to be moved to a different hotel - simply because the non-existent service we received this far. The front desk manager simply failed to do anything to address our situation and deliver us our reservations as booked, in addition to telling us many times that it would be taken care of.

The setup of the hotel also leads to a major problem - most rooms in building 1, building 2, and building 3 are impossible to get any type of rest. The main pool, located between building 1 and building 2, houses a massive sound system that has DJs and activity coordinators shouting through the entire day and most of the night. So, if you're in any of those locations, especially building 2 or building 3 in an oceanfront room, you won't be able to rest until well after midnight.

In all fairness, the rooms and buildings are clean. The showers and sinks were fresh with no dirt or mold and sheets, bedding and towels were all newer, despite the hotel looking a bit 'dated' at first. The bar service is decent as well. The food served was average (at least the buffets we tried - you can't book any of the restaurants within 24-hour advanced notice, so you're stuck with the buffet your first and perhaps second day after arrival).

Room Tip: Request building 4 through building 7 if you're looking to relax.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Eric G,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a last minute trip somewhere for Valentines day weekend (F, S, S M). As an employee of a major airline our decision was based purely on what flights had open seats allowing us to fly standby. Montego Bay was one of the cities that had enough open seats and the Holiday Inn Sunspree had rooms available so this is where we went.

We arrived in MOBAY mid afternoon and proceeded to HI via taxi for $30usd. The trip from the airport to HI took about 15mins. We arrived before the 3pm checkin time but we were given a room in bldg 5 as we asked for. The room is what I would describe as a typical hotel room. Nothing fancy but nothing to complain about either. We were in room 5305 which is closer to the adult pool and beach, which is exactly what we wanted. This room is on the third floor and closer to the street side of the property than the beach. We had a pretty good view of the beach from the balcony. Some have said these rooms are to far from the main pool and restaurants, but we didn't find that to be the case. 2min of walking and you can be anywhere on the property. Overall we were satisifed with our room.

The property: Overall it is a nice property and the staff keeps it very tidy which is actually a large task given all the kids there. The adult pool (where we spent most of our time) was nice and we found chairs without a problem. It did get more crowded as the day went on. The Adult beach was nice, a little wider than the others but there were never enough chairs to go around. One of my pet peves is how people put stuff on chairs to save them while they go do other things. This is not specific to this property but it is due to the fact that there just aren't enough chairs to go around. The main pool was very crowded most of the time, mainly by families. We avoided this area as much as we could. The other sections of beach are very narrow and again, not many chairs to go around. The little island looked nice, we never went over there, but again, crowded and not enough chairs. Yes there is a theme here.

The food: Well its an AI and thats all that needs to be said. The main buffet was unimpressive at best, but we found something to eat when we ate there. We were able to eat at two of the ala carte restaurants. Getting reservations were not a problem, in fact we were able to get a reservation the same day for the italian. The Japanese was good, we had sushi for app and steak and shrimp for main course. Was it worth the extra $40? Jury is still out on that. We also ate at the jerk hut and the food there was good. Overall it was what I expected.

The shopping: We checked out the shops on the property and those across the street. The shops on property were much more expensive than those across the street, but I think the quality of the merchandise was better as well. We ended up bying some stuff at the shops across the street. The coffee was about half the price of the shop on property. My wife didn't like how pushy the locals were off property. I must admit, even a polite "no thank you" didn't seem to be enough for them. I guess this is something that MOBAY will never overcome.

Departure...Our flight was at 8am so we were ready to leave the property at 6am. Checkout was easy and done in a couple mins. We forgot to turn in our beach towels the night before but it wasn't a problem giving them to the front desk. They charge you $20 for each towel if you don't turn them in. We waited about 5 mins for a cab to the airport which was an unknown at such an early hour. The fare back to the airport was $30 and we were there in plenty of time to catch our flight.

Final thoughts.....we don't think we would pick this property again. Mainly because the dining options are limited. I think they could do a better job of developing a better choice of foods in the buffet as you will be eating there like it or not. Same for the snack hut, pretty much cheese burgers and not much else. The beaches were just to narrow and small for our liking and the lack of chairs didn't help. On the plus side, the adult pool is nice. I suspect that this property is suited well for families and they would find it acceptable. We knew this before we went and don't want to give the impression that this is a negative review. The property and staff are nice and we thought it worked out well for our short getaway.

Mike in Tulsa

Room Tip: Ask for bldg 5, 6, or 7 if you want to be away from all the noise of the main pool and entertainment...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear N737AA,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the views.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding dining selection. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I usually do 5 star resorts but got such a good deal this hotel has had really unfair reviews it is very clean and friendly and the jerk bar is fantastic well done Trydell who cooks and serves with a smile best jerk ever. Rooms good we were in block 2 bit noisy with show etc but not enough to request a move the two issues we had with the room were sorted immediately with follow up call to check all ok. Rooms could do with fridge but wasn't a real issue. Food was good always tasty as we tried all a la carets can safely say Italian the best by far, also extra 20 dollars for lobster n steak well worth it. My Husband dives wherever he goes and had no issues but this hotel does not focus on diving do not as geared up as some hotels. We did trips via taxis at hotel ask for Gilbert lovely man who took us all over with great information and good price, make sure u go to Rosé Hall House at night real spooky tour,,,
My advice is go and enjoy this place is great not quite sure what those moaning about want if you want total luxury then go to Sandals if you want a fun good holiday in a great hotel go to the Holiday Inn Sunspree

Room Tip: Blocks 4 5 n 6 I would say are quietest with 1 and 2 closest if don't mind noise .
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay? Share your experiences!