Ok. After doing much research and reading many reviews we decided on this resort. My wife and I with our 10 year old daughter. In full disclosure I used Priority Points for the entire 8 night stay. So it was zero cost to us.
As we arrived at the hotel in a cab a bellman asked for my name and immediately escorted us to a "special" check in desk for Priority Club members, no waiting, great. He even got us a couple beers. :)
We were immediately checked in (2 hours early), as our check in was already prepared for us. They also set up reservations for 5 nights as various restaurants at the hotel. We were also invited to a special "General Managers" dinner for repeat visitors and Platinum Priority guests.
We stayed in building 1 on the 4th floor facing away from the main pool. We had a pillowtop mattress that appeared new, they was a nice size balcony overlooking the ocen and tennis courts, a couch with sitting area, a desk and small fridge. There are 7 buldings along the beach. Building 1 and 2 surround the main pool and building 7 is next to the adult pool. I would not want to stay in building 1 or 2 facing the main pool as they play music until 11:00 at night, it would be noisy, especially if you have young ones. And the main bar at the main pool stays open until 2:00 AM.
This place is VERY CLEAN. Our room was very clean. There was staff constantly walking around the cleaning, picking up empty cups. The beach chairs were clean. The pools were clean. Even though the facility is a few decades old they get major points for cleanliness.
95% of the staff was great, friendly and smiling, they really go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. This facility was recently bought by a local and you can tell the staff are proud to be working here.
The main pool is decent size but only 3.5 feet deep. There is a stage in the middle of the pool where games and fun events are run all day from water arobics in the morning to music at night. They really make it fun if you want activities to pass the time, lots of kids stuff. There is a small adult pool with a swim up bar (no food) at the other end of the facility.
There is an adult beach area near the adult pool that is very secluded and quiet if you wish. There is also a pretty secluded beach near the mini golf and shuffle board that was quitet. There is a small island (100 yds x 20 yds) about 100 yards from the beach that you can walk to that is never more than 3 feet deep. There is some small rock formations around the island with lots of fish, bring your mask and snorkel. There are plenty of chairs at the varios beaches and pool area for everyone. If you want shade get there early to get an umbrella. We really liked the option of pool or beach. There are kayaks available that we used. There are catamaran rides available but they wont let you take them out by yourself, short 15 minute rides but nice.
The General Manager's dinner was great. Buffet, but as many lobster tails a you could eat. Very nice perk if you are Platinum Priority Club.
The bar at the main pool serves fries, burgers, grilled cheese and fried fiish, food here is mediocre. Bring a large insulated mug/cup to use for drinks. The only beer they serve is Red Stripe on tap, cold and good. There are many mixed drinks to choose from but we especially liked the Hummingbird. There was a breakfast buffet that serves just about every breakfast item with an omlette station. We mostly just had the fresh fruit and yogurt. We give the breakfast buffet a B+ (no cream for coffee). There was a lunch buffet every day, we only used it twice as we mostly ate the jerk chicken, B+ for lunch buffet. There was a dinner buffet that we used 1 time which was very good, B+ or better but we mostly ate at the restaurants.
I ate at least 2 plates at the jerk chicken shack every day, at the beach and opens noon - 7:00, super good and healthy.
There was a kids hut that served soft serve ice cream and cheese dogs all day, i think my daugher had 30 ice creams.
The Italian Restaurant is excellent. The filet wrapped in bacon, the chicken on linguini and the snapper on linguini are 3 excellent dishes.
The Japanese restaurant was excellent and very entertaining. ($20 surcharge for adults was work it). Lobster here was fantastic, our daughter loved the cook, pretty funny to see a Jamacian cooking Japanese and he was probably the most entertaining we have seen.
We ate at the Jamacian restaurant and we would give a B, just OK
We ate at Seabreeze once, enough, was the low light for food of our stay.
Terry Anderson is in charge of fitness for the facility. He is fantastic. If you go to the gym be prepared for him to help you with those planks (back straight) or spot you on a lift. The gym is small but fully stocked with free weights and cardio equipment. There are also tennis clinics every day, if you are a player bring your racket, (but they have them for you),Terry will give you a great game. There are also classes throughout the week, my wife took a kickboxing class that pushed her. There are water arobics classes every day in the main pool.
There is a small 9 hole mini golf they we used every day.
There is shuffleboard. We played every day.
All and all we had a great time. This is not Atlantis, you will not be wowed by the facility. But it is very clean, the food is good, (except for the Italian, Japanese restaurants and jerk chicken whoch were great) and the people are great. If you have young kids they will love it. Although we met a few older people (50+) that were having a great time.
A great inexpensive all inclusive resort.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Jamaica
- Holiday Inn Sunspree
- Montego Bay Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay
- Holiday Inn Montego Bay
- Holiday Inn Jamaica
- Holiday Inn Rose Hall
- Rose Hall Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay Jamaica
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- *All rates displayed are All-Inclusive* When comparing Jamaica hotels, consider the All-Inclusive Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Hotel-Montego Bay Jamaica. After an extensive renovation, this favorite Montego Bay hotel looks fantastic! The renewed color theme throughout the hotel will help you kick off your Jamaica vacation. A newly refreshed lobby, enhanced guestrooms with flat screen TV's, restaurants, beach and swimming and sunning areas make this Jamaica hotel better than ever. This Jamaica resort is located approximately 7 minutes from the Montego Bay International Airport. We offer an array of services as well as optional tours. Our wedding coordinator can help you plan your dream Caribbean wedding. Please look at our package page for more information. Conference facilities available. Children activity centre from 6 months to 12 years. The All- Inclusive Caribbean vacation includes room, non-motorized water sports, three delicious meals and snacks - buffet or a la carte. Please note: Some restaurants are not open every day and require reservations. See food and beverage section for schedules. Local brand cocktails and soft drinks. *Must advise arrival flight in info field when making reservations. Taxes and service charges included. Our property offers a courtesy lounge with luggage storage area and shower facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.