“Good hotel for the money” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Calgary, Canada
“Good hotel for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This resort is not the fanciest but so long as it go into it with a realistic mind set, then you'll be fine! Here's a break down:

Location: about a 15 minute ride to the airport which means you're on the beach sooner! This was especially nice when we departed at 735am and had to leave the hotel at 445am...could've been worse....could've been a 1.5/2 hour ride from Ocho Rios. It's a quick cab ride to Hip Strip and probably 90 mins to Negril but close to Dunn River, Martha Brae, Falmouth, etc.

Rooms: perfectly average. I think our room felt very spacious as it could've fit two queens but it had one king but a sitting area with a love seat couch. Unfortunately we were close to the road which was very noisy - I think would be an issue in any building as the hotel is not off the highway at all. I would recommend to bring ear plugs because of traffic and the birds are night - very vocal!

Beach/Pools: great! The beach is lovely and quite big. We were there for the last week of January and we'd normally hit the beach between 9/10am and would always find a lawn chair...however if it was the busy times I can definitely see how it'd be difficult to find one. I think the beach is also great for kids (not that we have any) as its not deep and it seems all the little ones were safe and having fun. It's really nice that there is an adult pool and beach too...

Food: not the worst but definitely could've been better. Everything was edible and I have no exact complaint but I know it can be improved. There could've been more veggies at dinners, more salad bar options. I really liked the omelette and pasta bar...the cooks at these stations were amazing! I'd probably give the food 2.5 out of 5.
We went to the Jamaican restaurant and Seafood restaurant. Jamaican was great and in a good location to watch the nightly shows. Seafood was also good but the building it's in is odd (feels like a spare kitchen, not a real restaurant) and there's also a $20 surcharge for some meal choices.
We both loved the burger bar and jus kidding food hut for afternoon snacks.
All the bars are great and so are all the bar staff!

Staff: super! There were some "Jamaican time" moments where you'd ask for something and they'd take a long time to get it...and no, they weren't busy doing other things...you'd see them wander around and then chat to friends. But everyone is friendly and nice!

Activities/Entertainment: nightly shows are fun...especially the steel drum show!
The water actives are well...kind of lame. Snorkelling, paddling boating, and sea kayaking are all free and none of them were good. There wasn't much to see in the water around the resort and with the kayak/paddle boat you had to stay in this shallow, roped off area....so shallow we actually hot the kayak stuck on a sandy area.

Overall, I would return if/when I have a family but if I can afford it, I'd go somewhere a bit fancier. I would recommend this place to family/friends but let them know its a solid 3/3.5 stars.

Room Tip: If you can, ask to be in building 4 or higher. 1-3 are in guest/kid areas. For any area I recommend...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear SwissMissCoco,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,291)
  • Polish first
KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in early January. We chose this resort near the airport so we would not spend valuable vacation time on a bus travelling to the resort from the airport.

We enjoyed the layout of the hotel. The buildings all face the beach, so most of the rooms have a decent view and the water is just a few steps away. The ocean is scenic and relaxing, but the water only gets waist-deep at best.

There are a lot of families with children hanging around, but the property is wide enough that you will find a spot that suits your needs, from the adult pool at the west end, to the main pool in the center, to the quieter area at the east end. At the east end you will find the fitness center, basketball court, and tennis courts. The treadmills in the fitness center face the ocean, so that was very relaxing.

The nightly entertainment was a mix of events for children and adults. We hung around for the adult events but found a quieter place when the children's came up. I have to stay that the adult bands were of very good quality and we enjoyed them very much.

The food in the buffet was OK. The a la carte restaurants were also OK. My take is that most people are willing to pay the surcharge at the seafood and japanese because of the average quality of the rest of the other food. Was it me or did the fruit in the buffet not taste very fresh?

The rooms were clean and comfortable, but that there is no fridge or drinks in the room - not even bottled water.

One of the pro's for the resort is the culture of the Jamaican people - happy, laid back, good spirited, friendly. I really enjoyed it both on and off the resort.

The hotel is adequate for a relaxing visit to enjoy Jamaica, and I may even come back fo that reason, as it is one of the most affordable options in the area. However, if your mainly looking for value in all-inclusive comforts, I would explore Punta Cana or the Maya Riviera.

Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My Husband and I made the adventure to Jamaica three years ago, before we were married, we had a great romanic fun trip, very accomadating and great all inclusive dinning and entertainment for family or adult fun...My hubby Proposed to me 2 nights before we left...The people at the Sunspree are very nice and helpful, we will return soon...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I read reviews before I went and my take on this Resort was it met my expectations and we were a family of four and I feel it was appropriate very families in terms of food, activities, and overall facilities. Staff was pleasant and very accomadating and quick which I wasnt expecting that figured it would be teh "laid back island attitude" but not the case ..They paid extra attention to "Priority Club members" which was also nice and since it wasnt super busy they were good to upgrade our room too. Beach" kid friendly and plenty of chairs and umbrellas for all and not too wavy which was good for the little ones. Negative a little too much seaweed but I guess that wasnt bad from a snorkeling point of view as it attracted a lot of fish and other things to look at. I highly recommend food in 2nd floor restaurants although they need prior reservations at least they had soem variety such as Japanese, Italian, Jamaican and Seafood restaurant too. Worth doing because what was a bit on the downside was teh quality of the buffet for breakfast and lunch it was decent but coudl be better. Another tip for everyone do some excursions but shop online as I felt teh hotel was very accomadating but prices were more expensive than if I purchased it in advance online. I would go back but next time want to explore teh Hip Strip and otehr places. Overall good place to stay especially if you consider the value and proximity to airport too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed 6 nights at the end of January 2013. We would stay here again if we ever come back to Jamaica. I like the fact that the hotel was of close proximity to the airport, and don't think I would enjoy the long drive to either Ocho Rios or Negril.

The rooms: The first night we stayed on a ground floor oceanfront room in building 1 and switched to building 7 as we requested on our reservations for the rest of our stay. Building 1 could be noisy at night, if your facing the pool and stage area, but the upgraded oceanfront rooms are away from the noise & action and were really quiet at night and during the day. The remaining days, we stayed in building 7 in an oceanfront room. Building 7 seemed newer than building 1 inside and had excellent ocean views. Rooms are average and were suitable for our needs. Beds were comfortable, so we were happy!

Food-
Port-Side Buffet- We ate at the buffet was was basically the same everyday. Omelets and eggs could be cooked by the chef as a made-to-order, otherwise buffet was very basic and nothing fancy. Did not eat dinner or lunch here, so not sure how they were.

Jerk Hut- Great jerk chicken and pork. A must eat!

Barefoot Bar- Cheese burgers & fries & fish & fries were great.

Sorrento- Italian Dinner- Great dinner. We had a great bacon wrapped filet steak and appetizers at the restaurant. Fish was okay. Wine was not very good.

Seabreeze- Seafood- Dinner was good. Liked the mussels appetizer very much, then ordered another plate of them which tasted different and not as good. Wine was not good. The grouper was better than the snapper main dish. Lobster & shrimp meals are extra and we didn't try those.

De Terrace- Jamaican- We ate here twice and enjoyed the appetizers, snapper and the Jamaican cuisine. David, the waiter was the nicest waiter we had at the resort and enjoyed his service. Try the fruit cake (Jamaican cake, not like our fruit cake) and ice cream & bean and peas (not green peas, more like a bean) with your dinner. We liked the snapper here. Wine was not that good.

Hotel Tour Booking - There are no sunsets or sunrises in Mobay, so we booked a tour at the tour office at the hotel (next to the casino) with JTL for the day to travel into Negril. During the tour, we drove past the hip strip (glad we didn't stop here), and stopped at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, went shopping (place 10 @ the mall did have the cheapest coffee, liquor and souvenirs around), and then went to Rick's Cafe to watch the sunset & cliff divers. The cost was $45 per person and we enjoyed this day trip.

Casino- The small room had around 25- 10 cent slot machines that took american currency. Some days the room was cool and air conditioned, and other days it was really hot inside that small room.

The hotel has laundry facilities on site and the facility appeared to cater to families with kids. We did not have kids, and stayed near the adult pool and had a great time hanging out with the adult crowd at the pool bar and on the beach. We also spent a day on the Island and wish we brought our snorkel gear from home as they had all the snorkel gear rented out when we wanted to use them.

One of the things we did not like is people placing towels and marking their turf the night before. Would be okay if you saw them using the area the next day, but many times, they were just keeping spaces so someone else couldn't use them. The hotel should make those seats first come first served so everyone can enjoy the use of the lounge chairs.

We went to Jamaica to relax and that is just what we did! We were not expecting a 5 star resort, only a place to "be happy" and that's what we found here. I would recommend staying here and would stay here again when we return to Jamaica. We ran into a lot of people at the resort who were repeat customers or first time Jamaican travelers.

Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just come back from the Holiday Inn Jamiaca and have had a wonderful time which was made so much better by the staff who always make the difference
In the lobby Bar- Annette is wonderful which is not forgetting Tracy-Ann, Judian and Haverdean if I ran a bar these would be the first four people I would employ
Customer Care - Renee not only deals with what you request phones you to ensure it has been done
Guest Relations - Aneita nothing is a problem and she sorts it
Buffet restaurant - Shanique, Yanique, Onecia & Racquel always go the extra step along with HI 213 & HI 214
Snack Bar - HI 207
Jerk Bar - without Antionette it would be average with her it is great
Kenko - Leon is worth the price of admission on his own, the other chef (i don't have her name) has the voice of an Angel and they can both cook. Given a choice I could not choice between them.
I would recommend anyone to go there and introduceyourself to the wonderful staff they have.

Gull lake saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great place to vacation! Everyone is friendly, snorkeling is great, food is great! See Rupert on the end of the adult beach for great carvings! Second time here and coming back! Swimming is great. Beaches all sand. Lots of shallow areas for kids and some sheltered from wind and waves. Richardo and seven remember your names and check on us every day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay? Share your experiences!