“Excellent Vacation, Best Service, Tons of activities, gorgeous facilities” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent Vacation, Best Service, Tons of activities, gorgeous facilities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

One of the top places that I have been. This resort is beautiful and the best part is that there really are NO RULES. Something is open at all times for food and drinks. When I say food, I mean hot and fresh, not refrigerated and in a machine.
The staff is very friendly and goes out of there way to make you comfortable.
Yes people come up to you on the beach to sell jewlery and et, but if you put music on or lay down they walk right by. I did have a massage in the spa as well as one from one of the people on the beach and let me say they were both great, but the one on the beach was much less expensive.
The resort is close to lots of activities and tours. I did the jeep tour- really great and educational too, with free rum punch, cant beat that. Also did the horse back riding , which was pretty standard... very group style and not a lot of freedom to take off.

I was on vacation with another single girlfriend of mine and we wound up having one of the ladies at the spa take us to the local markets and give us a tour of the town so that we felt comfortable. It was great and very inexpensive.
I would definitely go back

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,290)
  • Polish first
Meadow Lake,SK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Well this was our first family trip to Jamaica. Our family of five and another family of five booked this trip together. The kids ages ranged from 3 to 12 and they all had a blast. We got there very early in the morning and expected not to have rooms ready as check-in was not till 3pm. They had a secure room for our luggage and a big room to get all changed over to our summer atire! We then were free to roam around eating and drinking whatever we wanted.

I do have to shake my head at some of the people that complain about the food. Our two families with 6 kids had no issues with the food and keeping our guts full. The breakfasts were always pretty much the same but with a large variety of food. The omellette bar was amazing and you could even just ask for fried eggs alone for the kids if they wanted fresh eggs. People that complain about the breakfast buffet getting old gotta remember when your at home its usually toast or cereal most of the time so to have the chance to eat a variety of food like that every day is pretty darn good!! The supper buffets were also excellent and every day had diferent choices. The Jerk hut was amazing and we all pretty much snacked there every day!! The pool side lunch snack bar had fries,burgers,and grilled cheese and was really good. Then there was the snack bar that had excellent popcorn,nachos and cheese, and hot dogs and soft serve ice cream. We never went hungry thats for sure!! We did end up going to 3 a la cartes. Kenko(japanese grill),Seabreeze(carribean), and Sorentos(Italian). They were all excellent with the Kenko being the best experience. Adults had to pay 20 each and 12 and under were free. The show that the chef put on was the best part. The food was very fresh and cooked perfectly right in front of you. The kids all were very amazed and loved the food as well. If we could have done it more than one night we would have. As for bookin them it was easy. We always just went to the lobby around 9:30 am and booked for the following evening with times at 6:00 and 6:30 with no problems at all. We would definately do the a la cartes again.

Drinks were easy to get at the bars and never had to wait long at all. Very friendly bar staff and always wanting to entertain the kids and offer all types of smoothies, no matter how many times the kids were running up!! I suggest to take your own mug as it is nice to just refill your own instead of using the small glasses. Someone had complained about plastic utensils, dishes,and cups....well the buffets all had metal cutlery and hard melamine plastic plates for the kids buffet,and glass plates for adults. However the cups everywhere were plastic but I dont really see this as a negative as there would be less broken glasses around with plastic cups. There are plastic melamine plates and utensils out at the snack bars as well as that stuff ends up everywhere around the resort. So probably easier to have disposable utensils and non breakable plates! If people wanted fancy silverware and crystal glassware than you need to stick to the Ritz Carlton!!

There are beaches all along this resort and a man made island that most kids can easily walk out to. We did lots of snorkeling around the island and saw lots of different fish. There are sea urchin around the rocks so beware. The kids found tons of tiny hermit crabs which kept them busy!! There is lots for the kids and adults to discover by just walking around the resort. The water was very warm and excellent to swim in. As for lounge chairs we never had issues on not being able to get any. The entertainment staff alway kept children and adults busy with stuff during the day.

The only reason I never gave this five star review was because I thought that the resort needed a little renovating in certain areas. We stayed in building 5. Apparantly building 6 and 7 are newer renovated. We never had really big issues except that the door would sometimes not want to unlock on the first try. The safe was not working at first and the patio door lock was hanging by a couple loose screws. These issues were fixed promptly!! One room had like a pillow top style mattresses where the other room had hard double matresses. There are no queen matresses here,but after a long day in the sun and plenty of jamaican cheer these beds do the job!!

Oh yeah buy your booze at the airport, don't try and deal with Alex at Be-Dazzled across the road instead go down to the market where you put money in the jamaican locals not some crooked sneaky wholesaler that is trying to put the small guys out of business!! He tries offering beer, free phone calls, and super deals. But when it comes down to the end deal he is actually charging more than the local down the street. He talks a big game and then gets upset if you don't take everything you put on the counter. When you go in there and a 750ml bottle of rum cream is marked at 29.99 and he says special 15 dollars and then you can buy it at the airport for a 1litre for 11 dollars...not a deal. He also had a bottle of rum at 56 then said special 38 for you!! It was 16 at the airport!! Just beware!! Sorry not really a review for the resort,but its close enough being across the street and thought you may want to know!! The locals at the market are strong in the pressure of checking out their shop and if you don't get upset and deal nicely with them you will walk away happy! Remember this is their income and what they are good at doing to keep food on the table.

The staff were very friendly and always great with the kids. They were always willing to help you out and put a smile on your face. Overall I would definately go back to this place again, even with just adults as there is a whole adult pool and bar at one end of the resort beside building 7. We took our kids to the Royal Solaris in Cabo last year and our thoughts were that the food was just as good, entertainment was a little better at the Solaris, the beach area was definately better at the Holiday Inn, and the people were just as nice at either place.

Room Tip: For adults only pick building 6 or 7 as it is closer to the adult pool and bar. People that want qui...
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This really is a 3 star by American standards but the price shows it. Can't complain about that! The hotel was clean and our room was attended to every day. The service was great and the kids loved the pool.
The food was terrible EXCEPT for the jerk chicken shack but the liquor made up for it. My daughter came home with lice from the ladies braiding hair in the water (who are not affiliated with the hotel in any way) and I was stung by fire coral in the water infront of the hotel and the medical staff were able to assist me without any problems at all. The on-site laundry was nice and the weather was great every day. The kids enjoyed kids club and they always had fun things for them to do.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear jettingwithkids,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It's nice to know that you liked our service. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered on some aspects during your stay. Please be assured that all your comments will be looked into and actions will be taken accordingly. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

First – the preamble. We are a couple in our mid-fifties, and up until about eight years ago, vacationed only at all-inclusive 5* or better resorts. Since then, we’ve branched out into more “tourist” vacations, and cruising. This was our first time back at an all-inclusive since 2006, and we knew we were going into a resort rated as a 3 star. But, the price was extremely attractive compared to other resorts (thank you to cheapcaribbean.com).

We were a little apprehensive after reading the reviews here, but our only criteria really was clean rooms, sun and warmth.

The resort is a little aged, but every day, we saw examples of where they were continuing to take pride in the appearance of the resort, from patching the curbs outside the front, to painting railings or replacing chairs. We ran into a couple with young children (8 + 10) who have been going every year for the past six years, and they commented as well that every visit has brought upgrades and changes.

The people are fantastic. I do not understand the people who say the service was poor – we certainly did not experience that. In every case, I was met with a smile and a warm greeting. The rum punch served by Vanessa while we waited to check-in were a welcome relief.

The rooms are small, and the air conditioner in our room (1335) was so noisy you couldn’t have a conversation over it. I have every confidence that if we’d complained to management they would have tried to fix it, but we didn’t bother. We were only in our room to sleep, and we both wear earplugs anyway, so it didn’t bother us much, but it might someone else. The rooms, and the buildings were spotless.

The food is resort food. After many years away from AI resorts, eating in fine restaurants while on vacation, and on cruise ships, the first couple of days were difficult to get used to, I’ll admit. Nothing is served hot. I am sure it comes out of the kitchen hot, but it doesn’t stay hot. Breakfast is a blend of North American (omelettes, toast, cereal and fruit) and Jamaican (fish, meat and vegetables.) It took a little getting used to but having fish and vegetables in the morning is actually a good idea! Lunches and dinners could have been great if the food could be kept hot. They did a good job of keeping the food coming out of the kitchen as the buffet dwindled.

The entertainment was the best we’ve ever seen on a resort. Again, it’s been a few years since we’ve been in an all-inclusive, but one of the reasons we got away from it was due to the lack of anything to do at night unless you wanted to dance to ear-blasting music. But the Sunspree brings in different entertainment every night, and it was all great. A great surprise to find that calibre of entertainment in an all-inclusive.

The a la carte restaurants were okay. Before you book any, find out what night the “Beach Party” is, and don’t book for that night, or you’ll miss a great meal. We ate early in a restaurant that night, but the beach party buffet was so amazing we had to eat some of that too. But, I wish I’d known about it, or that customer service had told us when we booked the restaurant for that night.

The Italian restaurant was just okay (but we’re Italian so take that with a grain of salt!), the snapper at the seafood restaurant was amazing, Kenko (Japanese) is definitely worth the $20, and Da Terrace – the Jamaican cuisine restaurant was quite good. Be aware that you need long pants and a collared shirt, and no flipflops, to eat at Sorrento and Kenko.

The beach was disappointing for us, but we can see why families love it. It is extremely shallow. Snorkeling is available, and is interesting on the far side of the island, but if you have dreams of running into the surf – it won’t happen here. I had to walk out quite a ways to get the water to my waist, and it never reached my shoulders – I’m 5’4”. Not a sandy bottom either – it’s either rocky – and I mean boulder size, or seaweed. Definitely water shoes are recommended.

There are a lot of activities for kids, and the parents we met had no qualms about letting kids as young as six run around the place – there are lifeguards for the pool and the main beach. For those of us who prefer not to partake in the shouting of other peoples kids, there is an adult pool, and an adult beach, both share an adult only bar. At the far east end – there is a better beach, but there is no bar service there, but it is nice and quiet too.

There is shopping right across the street, so you can get bottled water, or snacks, cheaper than in the hotel. Souvenirs and other stuff too – but be prepared to bargain hard. They’ll tell you that they’ll take 40% off of the ticketed price – that’s the price where you START negotiating, after they’ve taken off the 40%.

Also, it’s cheaper to buy booze – regardless of what it is – at the Duty Free in the airport than it is anyplace in town. Learned that the hard way too. Bottle of rum cream was marked at $30, offered to me for $20, I got it for $18, and it’s $14 in the Duty Free.

Bottom line: Excellent value for your dollar at Holiday Inn Sunspree, especially if you have kids, or are just looking to lie in the sun and listen to the waves. But if your Caribbean vacation dream includes running into the water and swimming, or even just playing around, go to Negril.

Room Tip: If you face the main pool (building 1 or 2) the music goes until 10:30 every night. Building 7 is t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Linwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My girls and I stayed at Holiday Inn Sunspree over the long MLK weekend. The price was great, honestly didn't pay much more for this all-inclusive than many luxury hotel rooms in the states. So on to the review: The grounds were kept very pretty, the hotel was old but clean and looked like it was probably renovated recently. The main pool was great-big, clean, close to everything and really where most of the people were. The activities were great there was always something to do. The beach was small but beautiful. We loved the island that you could swim to. WARNING: Be careful if you are going to snorkel. There are a few areas close to the island that have sea urchins. My daughter got them stuck in her foot...not fun. The room was ok. Nothing great but if you are spending a lot of time in your room then something is wrong. The drinks were fine but I highly suggest buying a large cup like many people wrote in their reviews. We didn't bring them with us and ended up buying them during our trip. The glasses are very, very small and who wants to wait in line all day when you could be enjoying Jamaica?The best part of this hotel for us were the employees. Most of them were kind, and genuinely happy. They seemed very happy to make sure we had a great time and this made our trip so much nicer. Now on the cons: The food in my opinion was mediocre at best. Some days were better than others but for the most part my picky kids were not really happy with it. The burger shack was good, the nachos were fine. The buffet was eh. We always managed to get full but weren't really satisfied. The bright spot for us was Kenko-the Japanese restaurant. There is a $20 charge per person but it was very good and a LOT of fun. We didnt try the italian restaurant or the seafood restaurant. So would I go back? Absolutely, it's not nearly as good as some of the other all-inclusives I've been to, but you can't beat the price! My girls and I had so much fun and the staff was AMAZING!

Room Tip: We were in building 2 which is right near the stage and the pool. We loved being close to the action...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Leslie H,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the food selection. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Perth, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

WE holidayed during Jan 11th-Jan 18th, 2013.
8 of us, four adults and four children (ages 7 and 5) just got back from the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay Jamaica.

Our experience was simply wonderful. Staff were friendly and very helpful.

Food was fresh, very tasty(a variety of chicken, pork, fish, pasta, pizza, rice, veg and fruits)
Lunchtime was equally as good. Your choice of the buffet or Bugers, fries and girlled cheese at the Barfoot grill.
Breakfast was our favourite. Paul at the omlette station was amazing. Pancakes, french toast, syrup, fruit, cereals, yogurt, juices, milk, bacon, sausages. It was incredible.

The Jerk Hut was THEE BEST!!! We ate there everyday for a snack. Give it a go, yo won't regret it.

A la carte restaurants were delicous. Sorrento, the Italian restaurant was favoloso. The Terrace ( the Jamaican restaurant) was very yummy as well.

Drinks were delightful.. Red strip is a classic beverage. RUM is a delicious choice too. Several slusky machines to create your own concoction. May I suggest Miami Vice!! Strawberry daquiri, pica polada with coconut rum. Bring your Bubba cups so your drinks can stay cooler a little longer and they hold a more than their cups do.

Rooms were clean and serviced every day. You can drink the tap water. A HUGE bonus for everyone, especially those travelling with small children.

Pool were cleaned every monring and stayed clean throughout the day. The adult pool is a nice alternative when kids are perhaps partaking in Kids Club. Beaches were clean but bring water shoes. There are sea unrchins that can hurt if you step on one.

There was a Kids Club which was great. Kids had fun and staff were friendly. Our kids were only there for a couple of hours for 2 days. They wanted to be outside in the pool or on the beach. Totally understandable.

We took two tours. Ask for private tours if you have a group of 8, they were very acccomodating.
We went to Negril. Margaritaville and Ricks Cafe. Were we cliff jumped and viewed the most beautiful sunset Jamaica has to offer. It was awesome!!

Our second tour was to Black River, a safari and YS Falls. Not so busy but equally as beautiful as Dunns River Falls. Lunch was included, great value and so much fun to get off resort and see the rural parts of the island.

Entertainment/staff was excellent. Kids show started about 7:30 ish (dance offs, magic show). Jamaican time. :0) and the adult/kids show started around 8:30ish.

Would we go back??? In a heartbeat. Great bang for your buck. It was 28 degrees, clear blue skies surrounded by palm trees and turqoise ocean. Our wardrobe consisted of flip flops and bathing suits!! We didn't have to prepare meals!! What more could you ask for. :0)

Room Tip: We were in room 1131. Quiet area. We had a level entre room. We could see the ocean once we steppe...
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Hello! I've been here with my girlfriend the second week of june. Despite all the discordant reviews we read before our departure this place completly satisfied our expectations.
Said that it was true from other reviews that not all of the staff is 100% friendly but still, for how much we heard the people there get paid, you shouldn't expect more of what you get for an all inclusive here.
The beach and the island was really nice, even snorkelin around it was cool.
You can also go far from the beach to snorkeling but that will cost extra money.
We went iat least one in all the restaurant available inside the hotel and twice in the jamaican one! Here we met probably the most friendly and competent server in the hotel, named Edwardian, ask for him if u are going to that restaurant! He deserved his tips at the end of our vacation :-)
Anyway in the main lobby you'll find tour operators and customer service for any other further information. We personally take a one day trip to Negril (and Rick's Cafè of course) and an other one to the dunn's river falls plus the dolphin's cove, in Ocho Rios). I'll honestly suggest both!
I've been in a lot of place around the world, im from italy and my girlfriend from norway...used to different services in our native countries but here we were completely satisfied for our one week long vacation. If we'll head back to jamaica we'll surely consider this place again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay? Share your experiences!