This was our 3rd visit to the Holiday Inn Sunspree in 16 months! That should say it all. We've stayed at other higher-rated properties in Jamaica, but honestly - for price, location, staff, food, beach and entertainment - you cannot beat the Sunspree!
Our first two stays here were long weekends (people rarely think about going to the Caribbean for long weekends, but it's closer and much less expensive than Vegas for those of us closer to the east cloast). This was our first time staying at the Sunspree for a week, and a first-time stay for our daughter and my parents. We were all really pleased that we chose ths property.
Can't be beat. It's close to the airport, but not so close that planes shake the ground on take-off. It's close to Rosehall Great House, Rosehall and Whittier shopping, and a short drive from the Hip Strip. There's a free hourly shuttle to Rosehall shopping, daily shuttle to the Hip Strip, and two shuttles nightly to Margaritaville. Return Sunspress guests also get free admission!!!
Check-in at Sunspree is among the fastest I've ever experienced, and the reception staff is wonderful. Each time we've visited, Denton has checked us in. He's fantastic - very efficient, friendly, and clearly cares about the guests. The one thing I noticed this time was that there was no Priority Members check in, but since we didn't have to wait long anyway, it didn't matter. And besides, it's nice to be greeted as you wait with a delicious rum punch! :)
The rooms are standard but very clean. There are 7 buildings and each is connected by a covered walkway. If it rains, just follow the "umbrella" sign to be directed to the next covered connector. I've stayed in buildings 5, 6 and 7. These are my favourites because they are at the quieter end of the property and very close to the adult beach and the Jerk Hut. The standard rooms are well-appointed and have everything you need, except for a mini fridge...it's my only complaint about the rooms. The suites are very nice; the one we had last time had a king size bed, sofa, chairs and TV armoir, jacuzzi tub with view, and stand-up shower.
The gardening staff does a wonderful job at this property...it's lush and beautiful. What I really like about the property is that it's accessible, not like the new monster properties. You can easily walk from one end of the property to the other, and along the way you're always greeted by friendly staff and guests. The views, both ocean and mountain, are nice. And the pool, although we didn't use it, is a good size and very clean. There's beach volleyball, a gym and tennis courts for use, as well as numerous water sports.
Or should I say beaches? The property is divided up into several smaller beach areas, which I like. Although you can't walk a long stretch of beach (go to Negril if you want that), it gives you some variety throughout your week. Almost always deserted was the beach to the far east of the property, near the volleyball courts. But my fave spot is near the Jerk Hut - never far from food or drink. Another good spot is on the Sunspree's own island, which you can walk over to (water is shallow). It's also a good spot to snorkel around.
One thing that Jamaicans know a thing or two about is food! There was never a shortage of choices at the Buffet and just about everything was delicious! The kids hut serves ice cream, nachos and cheese, popcorn and hot dogs - so there's always something for kids. The pool bar serves hot dogs, grilled cheese and fries, and the Jerk Hut serves, you guessed it, jerk! Amazing jerk! Chicken and pork (though chicken is my fave) and it comes with amazing hard dough bread! Plus here, you get the bonus of some amazing staff. In particular, Antoinette, Alkahn, and trainee Osain were the highlight of our day!
We only went to two al la carte restaurants. The seafood restaurant was very disappointing (and we love seafood). The service was very slow and the food mediocre. I got the feeling something "behind the scenes" had gone wrong that night, but no one came to clarify why the delay. Either way, I wouldn't go again. The Terrace - the Jamaican restaurant, was amazing! Seafood soup, curried mutton, oxtail, rice an' peas...it was all soooo delicious (I tried a bit of everyone's meal)...and our server, Paul was outstanding!
Second-to-none. Honestly. I find the entertainment at most all-inclusives to be cheesy and boring - not here. These are ticket-purchase worthy performances! From the 3 diva singers, to the Michael Jackson impersonator and back-up dancers, to the multitude of musicians, the evening hosts and the professional-quality sound staff and DJs, the entertainment experience at this resort is worth the vacation cost alone! We planned each meal so we could still enjoy the entertainment before getting ready to go into town to party at either Margaritaville (closed on this trip for renos), Pier 1, Blue Beats or Coral Cliffs. And having a nightly shuttle to take you into town and back is an added bonus!
I think I've covered this in every other point of this review. From gardening staff to life guards, bar tenders and servers, reception, guest services and entertainment crew...everyone was very helpful and friendly, and most were efficient and attentive. Some, as with most places, make such an impression that you remember them long after the vacation is done.
So...after all that, would I return? Absolutely! And I'd recommend it to anyone who wants good value for money while on holiday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- *All rates displayed are All-Inclusive* When comparing Jamaica hotels, consider the All-Inclusive Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Hotel-Montego Bay Jamaica. After an extensive renovation, this favorite Montego Bay hotel looks fantastic! The renewed color theme throughout the hotel will help you kick off your Jamaica vacation. A newly refreshed lobby, enhanced guestrooms with flat screen TV's, restaurants, beach and swimming and sunning areas make this Jamaica hotel better than ever. This Jamaica resort is located approximately 7 minutes from the Montego Bay International Airport. We offer an array of services as well as optional tours. Our wedding coordinator can help you plan your dream Caribbean wedding. Please look at our package page for more information. Conference facilities available. Children activity centre from 6 months to 12 years. The All- Inclusive Caribbean vacation includes room, non-motorized water sports, three delicious meals and snacks - buffet or a la carte. Please note: Some restaurants are not open every day and require reservations. See food and beverage section for schedules. Local brand cocktails and soft drinks. *Must advise arrival flight in info field when making reservations. Taxes and service charges included. Our property offers a courtesy lounge with luggage storage area and shower facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Jamaica
- Montego Bay Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Jamaica
- Holiday Inn Rose Hall
- Rose Hall Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay Jamaica
- Holiday Inn Montego Bay Jamaica
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Jamaica