“Everything Youu Need in an Affordable All-inclusive Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Ontario
“Everything Youu Need in an Affordable All-inclusive Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was our 3rd visit to the Holiday Inn Sunspree in 16 months! That should say it all. We've stayed at other higher-rated properties in Jamaica, but honestly - for price, location, staff, food, beach and entertainment - you cannot beat the Sunspree!

Our first two stays here were long weekends (people rarely think about going to the Caribbean for long weekends, but it's closer and much less expensive than Vegas for those of us closer to the east cloast). This was our first time staying at the Sunspree for a week, and a first-time stay for our daughter and my parents. We were all really pleased that we chose ths property.

Location
Can't be beat. It's close to the airport, but not so close that planes shake the ground on take-off. It's close to Rosehall Great House, Rosehall and Whittier shopping, and a short drive from the Hip Strip. There's a free hourly shuttle to Rosehall shopping, daily shuttle to the Hip Strip, and two shuttles nightly to Margaritaville. Return Sunspress guests also get free admission!!!

Check-in
Check-in at Sunspree is among the fastest I've ever experienced, and the reception staff is wonderful. Each time we've visited, Denton has checked us in. He's fantastic - very efficient, friendly, and clearly cares about the guests. The one thing I noticed this time was that there was no Priority Members check in, but since we didn't have to wait long anyway, it didn't matter. And besides, it's nice to be greeted as you wait with a delicious rum punch! :)

The Rooms
The rooms are standard but very clean. There are 7 buildings and each is connected by a covered walkway. If it rains, just follow the "umbrella" sign to be directed to the next covered connector. I've stayed in buildings 5, 6 and 7. These are my favourites because they are at the quieter end of the property and very close to the adult beach and the Jerk Hut. The standard rooms are well-appointed and have everything you need, except for a mini fridge...it's my only complaint about the rooms. The suites are very nice; the one we had last time had a king size bed, sofa, chairs and TV armoir, jacuzzi tub with view, and stand-up shower.

The Grounds
The gardening staff does a wonderful job at this property...it's lush and beautiful. What I really like about the property is that it's accessible, not like the new monster properties. You can easily walk from one end of the property to the other, and along the way you're always greeted by friendly staff and guests. The views, both ocean and mountain, are nice. And the pool, although we didn't use it, is a good size and very clean. There's beach volleyball, a gym and tennis courts for use, as well as numerous water sports.

The Beach
Or should I say beaches? The property is divided up into several smaller beach areas, which I like. Although you can't walk a long stretch of beach (go to Negril if you want that), it gives you some variety throughout your week. Almost always deserted was the beach to the far east of the property, near the volleyball courts. But my fave spot is near the Jerk Hut - never far from food or drink. Another good spot is on the Sunspree's own island, which you can walk over to (water is shallow). It's also a good spot to snorkel around.

The Food
One thing that Jamaicans know a thing or two about is food! There was never a shortage of choices at the Buffet and just about everything was delicious! The kids hut serves ice cream, nachos and cheese, popcorn and hot dogs - so there's always something for kids. The pool bar serves hot dogs, grilled cheese and fries, and the Jerk Hut serves, you guessed it, jerk! Amazing jerk! Chicken and pork (though chicken is my fave) and it comes with amazing hard dough bread! Plus here, you get the bonus of some amazing staff. In particular, Antoinette, Alkahn, and trainee Osain were the highlight of our day!

We only went to two al la carte restaurants. The seafood restaurant was very disappointing (and we love seafood). The service was very slow and the food mediocre. I got the feeling something "behind the scenes" had gone wrong that night, but no one came to clarify why the delay. Either way, I wouldn't go again. The Terrace - the Jamaican restaurant, was amazing! Seafood soup, curried mutton, oxtail, rice an' peas...it was all soooo delicious (I tried a bit of everyone's meal)...and our server, Paul was outstanding!

Entertainment
Second-to-none. Honestly. I find the entertainment at most all-inclusives to be cheesy and boring - not here. These are ticket-purchase worthy performances! From the 3 diva singers, to the Michael Jackson impersonator and back-up dancers, to the multitude of musicians, the evening hosts and the professional-quality sound staff and DJs, the entertainment experience at this resort is worth the vacation cost alone! We planned each meal so we could still enjoy the entertainment before getting ready to go into town to party at either Margaritaville (closed on this trip for renos), Pier 1, Blue Beats or Coral Cliffs. And having a nightly shuttle to take you into town and back is an added bonus!

The Staff
I think I've covered this in every other point of this review. From gardening staff to life guards, bar tenders and servers, reception, guest services and entertainment crew...everyone was very helpful and friendly, and most were efficient and attentive. Some, as with most places, make such an impression that you remember them long after the vacation is done.

So...after all that, would I return? Absolutely! And I'd recommend it to anyone who wants good value for money while on holiday!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,292)
  • Polish first
Waterdown, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I recently came back from a week at this hotel. It was our first time to Jamaica so we didn't know what to expect. We were pleasently surprised. The hotel was nice, it didn't take long to walk to anywhere on the property. The rooms were a good size too.
I was amazed at how the staff treated us, they really went above and beyond to help us and fulfill even the smallest request. Even with checkout, David. who is the hotel manager I believe, was amazing, he remembered us after we first met him, and remembered our room number, when we were checking out he was walking by and I justed asked him if I was in the right line to checkout. He said yes but he'd just check us out so we didn't have to wait in line. Just gave him our keys and that was it. Denton was our favorite person at the front desk, the answer was always yes, and he really gave us a great impression of the hotel and Jamaica. Leonard R. worked in the buffet, and again, really impressed us. I always looked forward to when he was working because I felt that if we needed anything he would stop what he was doing and give us his full attention. So these are a few things that show how the Holiday Inn is different from the other resorts. I felt like I was staying at a 5 star hotel because of the wonderful staff.
The food was good, the nightly entertainment was great, and the snorkeling was amazing their is a little island just infront of the hotel and behind it there are so many fish.
So I would definately reccomend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: higher floors give you a better view, all of the buildings are quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I visited this hotel two weeks ago with my friends,this was my first time travelling to Jamaica and i was very pleased with the service given. The staff were friendly especially shaun from the entertainment he ensures he goes the extra miles to keep the guests happy and he certainly knows his job,I am a radio Announcer in canada and i admire him so much,Chevelle from the restaurant served me with a bright smile and she is very friendly,however every one is always smiling. The check in point was wonderful,the food was great but the cold beverages were watered down.The hotel caters for family so be prepared to see alot of kids.The grounds of the hotel is clean and the room I had gotten overlooked the gardens on building 5 it was pretty spacious.There was just to much to do on the resort.The only problem i have with this hotel is not having a disco and the watered down beverages.U can even bargain with the vendors from across the street of the hotel. Yah mon caunt wait to return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Texas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay and really enjoyed ourselves. The All Inclusive Offer is perfect if you don't want to bother going out and looking for new places to eat at. The food at the hotel is excellent, the drinks served are equally exciting, the staff is incredibly friendly and you will instantly get the feeling that you want to return again for another vacation. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. The beach in front of the hotel perfect for relaxation. All in all, a great place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

we visited in October 2012, on arrival the hotel welcome was warm and friendly. There was plenty of entertainment for all ages, the staff were very friendly always hard working and ready with a smile. The manager was often seen around the hotel speaking with holidaymakers which was very encouraging, staff made sure we had a great holiday. Beaches and pools vey clean, we could have total relaxation in the adult pool. The food was very good with a choice of restaurants, I normally only drink cider which is not on the Jamaican list but I very much enjoyed the pina colades and strawberry dacarie. Organised trips were outstanding. We even enjoyed walking outside the complex to the local shops where the local sold their wares all wanting to be our friends (can be a little intimidating to the faint hearted) as long as you remember to return the friendliness no one is out to hurt or rip you off. This was definately a memerable holiday, We encountered Hurricane Sandy for two days and the staff pulled out all the stops to ensure we were entertained, safe and still enjoying our holiday.

Room Tip: top floor, the room was enourmous with less noise when you want an early night
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We returned for a visit to the Holiday Inn Sunspree and had a wonderful time. As a return guest we were a bit leary but were pleasantly surprised that this time was as good as the first. We were treated to a "Returning Guest Dinner" and the food was excellent. The staff was so friendly, it reminded me of home. I would definetely recommend this hotel to anyone with or without children!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This place is right on the beach and has a great sized family pool for the kids to enjoy as well. they have loads of activities for the kids and if you are all inclusive there is so many food choices to enjoy.
Rooms are the usual standard for holiday inn so if you are a British or american tourist you I'll know what to expect and will not be disappointed.

This hotel is located in montage bay on the seafront and has a handy shopping centre across the way for any groceries you fancy. Please do not be scared to walk out the front door and across the road to the shop. It's great to get out the hotel and the locals will not bite! They might tr to braid your hair tho! But a polite thank you is usually enough ... Also use the taxis out the front of the hotel they are much cheaper and safe to use too.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Montego Bay? Share your experiences!