“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Irvine, California
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

We visited Secrets Wild Orchid and had a blast. The hotel was great, the service was great, the staff were great, the beach and water were wonderful, and the food at all the restaurants was superb.

My wife and I enjoy all inclusives and find Secrets to be a step above the rest.

The Preferred Club was great especially since we had some rain when a tropical storm arrived and it was nice to be able to have a few extras in the room and building.

We are more beach people tha pool people and the beach and the water were perfect. We were able to snorkel right off the beach (we brought our own masks).

All in all we loved Wild Orchid and would return in a minute - unless we go to another Secrets.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,457)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

This is a truthful review and the manager and executive secretary are aware of my concerns so I not hiding behind this website. The food and wine are the most important things when going to a resort, it should be like home and better, isn't that what you pay for? We paid alot of money for 2 weeks and it was not worth it. We met many Americans that varied in prices for one week, from 1,000 to 3,000 per person. This is not a 5 or 6 star.

I got very sick the second day, and was sick the whole time until yesterday Sat Feb 26th when I threw up 3 times! It was disgusting, you don't want to know! I have had food poisoning from other islands but I usually elimate it after a week, but this was the worst, I haven't thrown up like that ever!!!

The food was NOT good, the wine for the first few days was that Don Rodrigo, terrible, then came Las Alanas from Cordoba Spain, much better, then Malenas from Mendoza Argentina, much much better. I purchased 4 bottles since I was there and the best was a Greg Norman Shiraz 2007 for 43 dollars. Fantastic. When I wanted it at the French or Italian restaurant ( can't remember which one), they said it was not available, then I tried for Wente Cab, that wasn't available, but one of the days we went to the buffet for dinner and there it was on display and I grabbed it, it was mine!
They have to get there inventory right especially for the wine.

It all starts with the overall sanitation of the room, if the room isn't clean to your expectations then who knows what happens in the kitchen?

Two nights before we left on the Today show was about the travel books, it shows a picture of the hotel at certain angles and then they went to that place and did the exact same picture and it was not what it was supposed to be. Also, there are people who are on this website that are paid to give a good review and they have not been to that resort or hotel. That was also on the show.

Again, we pay alot of money to go to these places and it is not what it is!!!

We met alot of people who will NOT be returning here.

The government has to build an airport for the Ocho Rios and Negril destinations respectively. Montego airport is a zoo and long line ups.

After my fiasco, I still feel a bit bloated, and my boyfriend is definately not feeling good, he is really tired.

The mosquitos were in the room so I swatted them before I went to bed with the shower mat towel, and it was clear so I could sleep, as you can imagine I haven't slept yet, but in the morning you go pee and there were mosquitos again, where in the hell did they come from?? I think its the vents in the bathroom, how else did they get in. I have to put spray on every night ( really romantic smell).

Who designed the bathroom, the same as the Majestic Elegance, I hate the frosted glass room. We are not large people and I felt closed in, so how did the larger people feel in that room, because there is none. Whoever designed it should be fired!!

I can't believe the chef of the Italian restaurant is Italian. I said to the manager of the hotel who is Italian, that the chef should be fired! I'll show him how to make an excellent sauce and make lasagna. Whats up with the bowl? And the no cook noodles, make them fresh? Why not?

There are too many mishaps, and they have had a year to figure out the kinks and it has not been done. The person who desinged the whole resort was only thinking about maximum capacity and money.

There were so many terrible stories about the rooms, cleaniless, food, wine, running out of Tia Maria, Hello its made in Kingston! To run out of Grand Marnier, even the Red Stripe beer for the room a couple was told for their mini bar, that they ran out! How can this be?

The masseuse I had slathered me up with oil and it was not a good massage because how is she supposed to get into my muscles if I'm greased up. I complained about that and the asst manager gave me a free massage for 50 mins (I paid for 80 mins), and I requested a male, and he let me feel the dry oil and it was much better than the wet (which is grape seed oil mixed with evoo; I use this for my salads) and it has a soft lilac flowery scent, very nice, I wanted to buy it but it was not for sale.

Of all the places we've been, and I'm sorry to the lady who listened to me when I was there, but this was the worst.

The turnover of employees is very high, for our second week it was very very busy, very loud Americans throughtout the day and night, why? Did you not pary when you were a teenager or in your early 20's? We thought it was a quiet place with no kids, it was worse.

I am definately going to contact the government and a couple of Jamaican/Canadian people to help fix the problem in Jamaica. Its a beautiful country, and they should be growing organic or not, veggies, fruits, and where is the seafood??

There is so much you can do for this country and the Jamaican people should try do this.

All the best in your travels everyone.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid from Feb 22 thru Feb 26 and could not say anything negative about this resort. Don't read the negative reviews written on the site because I did not experience no such things. Since the moment we walked into the complex we were treated like kings. We stayed in the Preferred Club and highly recommend you paying the extra money to experience the over the top service. The room was beautiful with an exit out the back into your own private pool. Beaches were beautiful. Food was above average. Best thing to eat is the Jerk Chicken from the cart each day during lunch when they are walking around the facility. Only negative thing I can say about the resort was the mosquitos but there is nothing you can really do about the climate. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing vacation with beautiful weather. My wife and I are already talking about staying here in the near future.

State College, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I feel that online reviews tend to focus on the negative so I am going to try and break this convention and provide both the good and bad experiences of my trip. I should also mention that this was my first stay at an all inclusive resort so I have nothing to compare this to. For that reason, I am not at liberty to recommend, or not recommend, Secret's Wild Orchids. I was here in February 2011

The Good
1. The staff was great. they were very helpful, kind, and went out of their way to make sure you were happy
2. The rooms were magnificent as well as the rest of the architecture. Beautiful pools and restaurants. Very little outside noise penetrated into your room.
3. Very safe and relaxing atmosphere. You won't get workers bothering you to by weed (although it is very easy to find if you are looking). I think only one time did I even smell ganja.
4. Beautiful landscaping

The Bad
1. Check in was supposed to be at 3, but even though we were there and ready to check in we were not able to check in until 6:30. Check out was at 12 and we were not permitted to check out of our room late even though we could not check in when we wanted.
2. Finally, after we did get checked in there was no hot water. This was resolved by the morning.
3. Food, in particular dinner, was bad. I thought it was obvious that the management was trying to save a buck here
4. Even though restaurants did not take reservation we regularly had to wait 15-30 mins to get a seat for dinner.
5. Beach is not very nice. It is small and rocky
6. A few stray cats were running around. This did not bother me, but my girlfriend thought it was gross and told me to include that in my online review.
7. Internet was not free. I am not sure what the daily rate was for wifi, but if you want to use the business center it is 50 cents a minute for internet

In general, I thought it was obvious that the resort was understaffed. Various times I just wanted to voice my displeasure with the workers there, but I bit my lip becuase it was not the workers fault. I felt like I was being nickled and dimed the whole time, and I probably will not be doing an all inclusive vacation in the near future. Next time I go to Jamaica I am going to check out Negril because I hear the beaches are nicer.

markham, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed here from Feb12 - 19.

Thing we love:
1. The best beds that you would ever sleep in
2. Sherica Kelly - she used to work as one of the entertainment team from Iberostar Grand (the best resort by far) now she works as a hostess. Please hire her on you're entertainment team since you have no entertainment in you're hotel. Shawn, Reception manager, waived the fee for me to use the spa. I was promised to used a complimentary room for 3 days in a row, when the day came, none was available. Justine, she let me used the phone 2 times in the front desk to confirm my cab on the check out day. Jheanell, bartender and beach waitress, she always have a smile on her face when she asked me what I would like to drink. You guys should give her a raise, she's soooo nice.
3. Complimentary SPF 15 lotion, I love this! The smell is like an Orange smoothie. This is a nice touch.
4. The Dj that they have at the Desire lounge was great. He played nice selection of music compared some of the other resort clubs that I have been too.

Things you guys should improve.
1.Entertainment - I stayed 7 days here, not once did any entertainment staff invited me to see the show or join any games even after having eye to eye contact because they are so busy entertaining themselves. You're show with some with entertainment staff trying to practice their voices and moves are horrible. Do what Iberostar Grand does, hire professionals. Ask Sherica Kelly, she'll tell you what entertainment is really like.
2. Food - Is there a Pastry Chef in this resort? It feels like you buy you're cake from Costco. It's the same cake and mouse the 7 days I was there. Ice cream flavours was Chocolate and Vanilla. Also, if you're looking for lobster, crabs and good food in the buffet or ala carte restaurant. You will not find it here. They serve you the same stuff all over again. Please improve the food. Its too salty or bland. Even the Coffee Place, serves a nasty hot chocolate. Let me tell you what they have for breakfast 3 out of their 5 station. 3 for the same egg omelette, one for hot cake and crepes and one for bacon and bean. Then fruits, cereal and bread. Thats it! There's no fresh doughnuts like the iberostar grand and something new and fresh every day.
3. Beach - Being a MAN MADE BEACH, they tried they're hardest to really make it nice. But it is too Rocky, with big reef like stones so be careful to bump you're head. If you're a beach person like me, you might not enjoy this location so wear water shoes because this will really hurt you're feet.
4. Courtesy and Treatment - They could have ace this part but they fell short again. Let me give you an example. I lost my bag with 4 sunblocks. Yes, this is my fault for forgetting it on the beach. I talk to Shavonie the next day from front desk and ask if somebody might have turned it in. She told me that she will be doing an investigation and explain the whole process. So I ask AGAIN, if somebody have turned it in. She got upset at me and was in a condescending voice explaining the whole process again. I ask her politely, I only need a yes or no answer but she was talking to me as if I was dumb. You're Front desk people also seem to be picking their noses 3 of the time I asked about their complimentary room. Really guys, this is common sense. Also, 8 out of 10 times i come across you're employees, they seem to be checking they're text message on the phone. Checking they're phone while talking to me.
5.Emilio, the general manager, if you want to know more, email me so you can see it from you're guest perspective.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed at Secrets WO last April for our 25 Anniversary and the trip had several issues that hampered out stay. Secrets offered us a return trip(we didn't ask for it), and visited 2/19-2/24 and were curious to see the changes/improvements, etc. We were very satisfied with our stay and didn't thank Caulette until our last day to prevent any concerns about favortism, etc. Really enjoyed the improvements and had no issues with housekeeping, room amenities or some of the other problems we encountered last year. Ate at Portofino, Bourdeaux, Oceana and Himatsu. All were great except the walk up Chinese restaurant(Himatsu). We bailed after 2 hours as the service at this one was very poor. All the rest were excellent and the staff was first class. Was nice to see all of the shops and resort amenities open and would say that 99% of the staff really enjoy working there(as evidenced by the singing and friendly banter with guests). Stayed at WO and was surprised to see the condition of the beach(erosion and rocks in the water) but that's Mother Nature and they are doing their best to address that. Watched a wedding occur each day and was very appreciative at how respectful the guests are when the ceremonies occur. (Remember, it's their special day). Would like to see the resort address the "reserving" of beach chairs and thought this was a ridiculous and selfish practice by guests who tie up chairs and spend only a few hours at them. Enjoyed the steel drum show and the house band who are very good. Got to enjoy the food from the vendors who walk the beach area every day(burgers/pizza/jerk chicken which is excellent-don't miss it!!). I do believe we will return each year and look forward to seeing the progress the resort makes to keep the experience fresh.

RI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

My husband and I along with three other couples just returned from Secrets Wild Orchid. We will mostlikely not be returning. This is my eight time to Jamaica. I've stayed at better resorts for around the same price- Couples Resorts and the former Grand Lido Braco-now Rio Bueno and Breezes. We arrived at the airport and were a bit bummed that there is no hospitality room in the airport and no included transportation. I guess we've been spoiled by other resorts that included this ammenity and should have checked more closely when booking the trip. We paid $30 for a cab. (Expedia offered transportation for cheaper-but I didn't realize that I needed it when I booked it. Also, the line in the airport waiting for shuttles was extremely long.)

When we arrived at the property I was asked for my travel voucher. I had my confirmation number but no voucher. I was taken to the "Preferred Club" to use the Internet to show proof of my reservation even though they had the confirmation listed. That was a hassle but it worked out fine. The internet is only free on the preferred side.

We were shown to our room on the fifth floor. The room was beautiful and the bed was super comfortable. The door to the bathroom (frosted glass) was stuck and would not slide closed at all. There is only a sheer curtain separating the bathroom from the bedroom so it became awkward if friends were hanging out in the room, and I needed to get changed. Other than those two things and the shower leaking-the room was fine. The toilet and shower were enclosed with frosted glass.

We got down to the pool bar to join our friends, and the bar tender was miseralbe!. My friend ordered a Red Stripe Light, and the bartender poured a regular Red Stripe (The only beer other than Heineken that the resort has). When my friend corrected the bartender he said "same thing" and handed him the beer. Another friend is not fond of Appleton rum and had difficulty getting Bacardi. The drinks were all fine for me.

The breakfast buffet was good, and the Jerk Chicken at lunch was awesome. The food overall was pretty good but usually not hot enough. The guys were required to wear long pants at most of the restaurants for dinner other than the pool side ones and the Mexican Buffet-which had no Mexican food at all in it other than chips and nacho sauce. The food at the French restaurant and the Blue Mountain Grill was good. The pool side restaurant had decent food but we literally waited hours to eat. The Japanese restaurant was typical, and the food was good, but our chef must not have shown up for work that night as we had a cook who usually works inside the kitchen come out and cook tableside. He seemed extremely nerovoud but did a fine job. On either side of us, the chef's were making an entertaining show of it.

The beach was beautiful, however, there was a bit of a drop off getting into the water, and the sand in the water was pretty rocky. The resort does not have floaties for the beach. My husband grabbed one from the pool for me, and we got the whistle blown at us- apparently a big no-no. The attendant was actually really nice about it and and brought me a raft that another guest must have left there. On the last couple of days we could not find beach loungers in the shade. Also the towel guy actually yelled at me for not turning in my beach towels one day.

We did not go to the nightly shows, so I have no comment on them. The night club was fine, however, the resort seemed like a ghost town after 11:00pm or so. The spa staff were a bit rude as well.

Guests are given a coupon book upon arrival, and there is a $40 coupon good towards massages. I booked a massage-which was lovely-Thank you Michael!!, however, upon check out I found that the $40 had not beed deducted. The front desk clerk told me that I had to go to the spa to straighten the matter out with them. It should be noted that the spa is located in St. James about as far from the rest of the resort as you can get. When I went to the spa, the manager argued with me stating that I had not provided the coupon- which was not true. She eventually deducted the $40 as if she was doing me a favor.

We had one other issue (I know I'm getting long winded). My husband had left his prescription glasses and a hat by the pool. When we asked for lost and found, the towel guy called there and almost immediately told us that they did not have it. A couple of days later his stuff was located. A front desk clerk called the room to notify him that it was found. When I answered, she stated that records showed that I booked a single room and again asked if I had shown my voucher. I told her that it was a double and my husband was with me. I was nervous that the resort would try to charge me extra upon check out, but that didn't happen.

Overall, I felt like the resort has great potential, but the Jamaican hospitality that I'm used to is lacking. Staff seemed to expect tips while being unpleasant and rude-at Couples- tipping is not allowed, but we'd try to sneak it anyway. I'd also like to say that Serena was awesome.

We'll probably go back to Couples Negril on our next trip to Jamaica. The ride is a lot longer, but it's worth it. While thr rooms there are not chic or fancy, the staff go out of there way to make you feel special.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!