“spoiled rotten” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Apopka, Florida
“spoiled rotten”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

This was a great trip for my husband and I.....When we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed with hot rags and champagne. We stayed preferred which cost a little extra. Preferred was worth it for the freedom. While on the preferred beach we witnessed a couple get kicked off the beach for not having a black card....the security was on the job. Loved the turned down service.... The manager Keisha was so awesome...she made sure we were happy and satisfied. We were always greeted with a smile....the food was satisfactory at the restaurants....but look for the PAN MAN (jerk chicken)..yummy. Overall it was a very relaxing trip.
The only negative about this trip was upon checkout ....Stacey checked us out and gave us such a hard time for the Spa vouchers....She treated us like liars and thieves....seriously??? we paid extra for preferred so we dont have to deal with BS. Everyone gets vouchers at check-in but they ran out so we didn't get ours. However front desk told us that it will be deducted upon check-out so we used the awesome Spa anyways. It was really unnecessary Stacey.... you were the only aggravation for the weekend. So be sure to get your hotel vouchers upon check-in to avoid confusion. Have fun

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

3,361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,253)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

My wife and I have traveled extensively in the Carribean. It's been 8 or 9 years since I've been to Jamaica but I've been there 7+ times. This was my first time to stay in MoBay.
We wanted to go there because of the proximaty to the airport. I've stayed in Negril and Ocho Rios which take forever to get to and the ride is not fun.
After reading the reviews, some of which were very negative, we took a chance. Here's what we liked.
1. From Atlanta we left our house at 9:15 AM and opened the door to our Wild Orchid room at 3:00PM (they're on eastern time also). In less than six hours we were on the beach. We can't reach the coast of Florida in that time and that's allowing three hours to get thru the Atlanta airport.
2. The service was excellent. The word 'no' didn't exist for them.
3. The pools were clean and fun.
4. For an all inclusive the food was far above average. We ate at the French resteraunt almost every night where the filet, mussles, and snapper was excellent.
Like most all inclusives the breakfast was outstanding.
Lunch by the pool is what we like. Jerky, Jerky, Jerky chicken. You'll get it when you go.
The room service menu was somewhat limited but again was better than most all-inclusives
5. We are tennis players but didn't take our rackets. We hooked up with the pro, Cliff, who lent us good rackets and drilled with him twice. He was fun and accomodating,
6. The gym, by most standards was fine. Not smelly and enough equipment and a decent view.
7. While we didn't use the spa, we did tour it, and by all accounts from those that did said they loved it.
8. One limtiation I saw was their liquor selection. They had Jack Daniels but no Crown which is my favorite. I drank CC instead. Only one tequila, Pepe Lopez. To me, this wouldn't ruin my trip. Their beer selections seemed to be adequate. Red Stripe, Heineken, Bud Light.
9. Golf- White Witch was a very challenging scenic course. I played 36 holes from the tips and loved it. My caddy's name was Fabian and he was terrific. (Shot 86-76).
10. The beach and the view were excellent. The sunrise and sunset were beautiful.

Here's our review in a nutshell. WE'D DEFINITELY GO BACK!!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
WOconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
Dear Guest::

Thank you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor. We do appreciate that you have given us your perspective as it allows future guests an opportunity to make an even more informed decision when considering our Resort.

We are very happy to note that your time here with us was an enjoyable one, and take your suggestions as it relates to our liquor selection (tequila) and our room service menu under advisement and pass on to the relevant departments for their consideration.

It has been our absolute pleasure to be of service to you and do look forward to your return visit.

Best regards,

Caulette Mornan
Social Networking E-concierge
Secrets Resorts & Spa, Montego Bay
econcierge.sesmb@secretsresorts.com
PH: (876) 953-6600
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Sometimes I am dumbfounded by responses on Trip Advisor. How anyone can find something wrong with a hotel like this is just astonishing. I would hate to travel with people that look as though they are just looking for something to complain about.

This hotel is perfect. The people are so nice and helpful. They DEFINITELY do NOT water down the drinks at this resort. Sometimes I had to tell them easy on the rum, haha. It's definitely more of a couples' resort. But the beach if wonderful, the rooms are spacious. The beds (and surprisingly the couch) were the most comfortable I have ever slept/sat on for a hotel, especially in a different country. There was turndown service every night with a detailed page of the next day's weather and events.

The television in the room actually had a ton of choices. From NY/LA/Miami/Chicago News, A&E, BBC, ABC, NBC, TBS, Lifetime, etc. The balconies were really big. Room service was really fast. A good selection of restaurants, and the food was pretty decent for an all-inclusive resort. Sometimes that can be pretty hard to find. The Italian place was always packed every night, so get there early if you want to eat right away. The hibachi is the only reservation only, but that is to sit at the hibachi tables. If you want a normal table, no reservation is required.

The staff was really accommodating from the moment you walked in. They take you to the lobby to sit down, bring you champagne, and someone comes to you to check you in. And you don't have to wear those really annoying all-inclusive bracelets, which was really nice.

The bathrooms were really big, with a huge tub, a rain shower and a double vanity. The safe was really big, large enough for a macbook. The resort was really secure, and there weren't people trying to sell you anything on the beaches, which is a HUGE plus.

Montego Bay is gorgeous and feels safe. Way better than Ocho Rios, which is the only other place I have stayed at in Jamaica. I already plan on going back to Secrets again. If you want a towel for the lounge chairs, get there early. They did tend to run out really fast every single day. Or get a towel on your first day and keep it in your room to use the rest of the trip. They also have a couple of heated pools, so that was great. And they don't make you feel pressured to tip for anything. The hotel even says it's not necessary. We did, but that's because the service was great everywhere we went.

I highly recommend this hotel--this coming from somebody who has traveled a lot.

• Stayed January 2011
Dear Valued Guest:

On behalf of the management and staff at Secrets Resorts & Spa, Montego Bay, we thank you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor. This is much appreciated as it helps guests considering our Resort for a future stay, an opportunity to make an even more informed decision.

As guests satisfaction is our ultimate goal, we are very pleased to note that your time with us was an enjoyable one and we are happy that we were able to meet your expectations.

We recognize that there has been some challenges with the beach towels and as such this will be addressed in the very short term.

Once again, we do thank you and certainly are looking forward to your return visit.

Best regards,

Caulette Mornan
Social Networking Econcierge
econcierge.sesmb@secretsresorts.com
PH: (876) 953-6600
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Hotel was very nice.....food was terrible. Lost one night's stay due to cancelled flight then was told had no reservations. A real disappointment. Only good food was breakfast and "jerk chicken" man walking around complex. Air Jamaica the worst! Flight cancelled leaving and returning due to mechanical problems. Our friends' flight returning was delayed nine hours. Flight crew not really helpful nor that friendly.
We travel very often and this was an unacceptable trip. The New Years Eve party at the hotel was well done, although the dinner and desserts were inedible. To add insult to injury they charge $15 a day for wireless internet!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

I have stayed at many all-inclusives in Mexico and the Caribbean and this one is one of my favorites. The grounds are beautiful and well taken care of, the water and views of the mountains are gorgeous and the staff are quite possibly the happiest, friendliest people on earth. They are so nice, it almost makes you uncomfortable! The food is decent for all-inclusive type food. I went to every restaurant but the hibachi, and I think the Jamaican restaurant (Blue Mountain) was my favorite followed by the French restaurant. And I'm a vegetarian, and they had options for me at each place. My boyfriend enjoyed the jerky cart guy a lot, the jerky guy also takes great pride in his cooking!
The drinks are strong! They definitely do not water down their drinks. The piano bar is very crowded at night, so I recommend getting your drinks at the lobby bar, I met a lot more people over there anyways. Also, get your beach or pool chairs early, they go quick, and so do the towels! But here's a tip: You can rent these plush beds - that are secluded and out on these rock piers and you get a waiter all day - for only $10, for the whole day!
The rooms are very nice and modern with IPod docks and soft beds. The bathroom however doesn't give you much privacy. One wall is a see-through curtain and the toilet and shower are only fogged glass, so I hope you're not shy! I think they were trying to make it sexy, but its not.
Taxi's from the hotel are expensive, they will say they have set rates - but they don't. You can negotiate. If they still won't come down enough - walk out of the front gates of the hotel, the cruise ship port is right there with lots of taxis lined up. Apparently, you can get a better deal right there, but I didn't find that out until my last day.
If you go to one the craft markets - be aware that they are extremely aggressive in getting you to buy something, way more aggressive than in Mexico.
And lastly, our excursions were great! Zip-lining is a must-do! Diving and snorkeling were also a blast, there is so much to be seen in Jamaica! Have fun!

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We just returned from a week long (Jan. 3-9) stay at Secrets Wild Orchid. Neither my wife nor myself had been to an all inclusive before and some of the tripadvisor reports had us worried about this place. We are active travelers but our primary goal on this trip was rest and relaxation, thus our decision to be at an all-inclusive resort. Most bad reports we read seemed to harp on minor details, plus we tend not to place too much trust in reports by people who have never posted or reviewed any other properties. We had a blast, and we were very happy with the resort and cheapcaribeean.com, the booking service we used.
We arrived and had no problem with our airport transfer or check-in. We were shown to our room (2207 in Wild Orchid) by the fabulous Jamaican woman who checked us in and this was the first of many top-notch customer service experiences we had during trip. The employees all seemed so happy and eager to make our stay a success. I have to mention our maid who was extraordinary and had our room cleaned everyday before 11 am. On the first day my wife returned to the room while maid was cleaning with door ajar. Before allowing my wife free access to the room, the maid asked her to step outside, closed the door, and asked her to swipe her key card. We were happy with this extra level of care that we found from all employees. Even at a resort restaurant when my wife dropped her napkin, a waiter quickly picked it up for her. I cannot understand previous reports of bad customer service, the employees here are the resort’s greatest asset.
We were satisfied with our room. Our room was spacious with large bathroom, great tub, comfortable bed and patio with a great view. Every night while out to dinner our room received a turn down service. The grounds of the resort are kept in great condition; there is ample seating at various poolsides and on the beaches. As all pictures show this is a sandy beach, some people complain about it being a rocky beach, which is absurd. I have been on rocky beaches before and this is not a rocky beach. There are some areas in the sea where the seabed is covered with large rocks. We heard people complaining of this and fighting there way out, but there are also easy accessible paths out into the sea where there are no rocks at all. If rocks in water are a major problem for you, bring a pair of aqua socks. One caveat was the towel situation, at times towels do run out, and if you are arriving to the pool at noon you may find an hour or so wait for clean towels. We never had a problem with chairs, though you may have to search around a bit late in the afternoon to find a group of chairs together. This may also be a good time to discuss differences between Preferred Club and regular resort. The Preferred Club has two separate buildings, in the lobby of these buildings Preferred Club guests have two computers with internet access and a selection of food. Often a large selection of desserts and one hot food item is out. The rooms are largely the same from the regular resort except for special swim in/out rooms. These rooms are the most expensive in resort, but were our least favorite. They are not private at all, your tub is outside, but basically it is ground level and is viewable by everyone at the pool. People at the pool also can see into your room all day, these rooms have no view at all. The swim in/out option sounds and looks cool on website but once you see it the novelty loses its appeal. The main benefits of the Preferred Club are access to private pool and beach area and more comfortable lounge chairs. The Preferred Club has cushioned chairs while the main resort has rather uncomfortable chairs at beach and pool. The Preferred Club does not have bar in the pool, and loud music is not played here as in other parts of the resort. No matter where we sat, waiters/waitresses were often near and available for drink service.
We do not drink alcohol, so have nothing to report on the strength of the drinks, but can say bars were never too crowded and it was always possible to get quick service. We are foodies, and we arrived with very low expectations regarding the quality of our meals. Breakfast was always good. It was never too crowded and the buffet really had something for everyone. Whether you are on a health kick or out to indulge, many options were provided. Egg/pancake/crepes/waffle stations were set up to order and various other foods were in the buffet. Our coffee cups were always kept filled particularly by the singing coffee man O’Neil, who brightened our mornings. Lunch was always our least favorite meal of the day and we thought the food could be improved. A great touch though is the wandering Jerk Chicken cart that does provide some very good chicken. A similar pizza cart also provided a serviceable version of a calzone. Dinner was hit or miss, again we may have benefitted from having low expectations. Cross the Mexican Restaurant off the list, it was terrible. We missed the two-poolside restaurants at night, and did not do the private candlelight dinner. The places we ate at always had great service (occasionally we waited, once our salads did not arrive) but the staff was always friendly and helpful. We were able to always dine outdoors and found some of the food quite good. The Asian restaurant provided a stellar rice dish, and we also enjoyed the Jamaican restaurant. We did not think the resort would be able to pull off the level of Italian food that we are accustomed to, but we found it surprisingly good. The coffee bar was tremendous and we took full advantage of the desserts, which seem to be lurking at every corner. We definitely over did it on desserts.
We used the gym a few days and it was good. Never too crowded and good mix of machines, free weights and cardio workouts. Yoga, aqua fit and various other classes were offered throughout the week. They advertise a jogging trail, but this is really the main pedestrian path through the resort and is not great for jogging. The resort itself was much more busy on the weekends, so any stay mid week will be more enjoyable. There was always entertainment and we loved dancing outside to a live band and viewing the Jamaican Musical at the theater.
Internet service is not included and we had to end up buying it for the week, a charge of about 90 dollars. We really had no complaints though. We did not spend any other money except for tips, which were not solicited. We did not pay for a five star resort and we were not expecting one. We received top-notch service and since the resort is new the accommodations were fantastic. One note is that some construction is going on outside of the resort near the St. James portion. If you are staying in St. James and do not have an ocean view room you will be looking at a construction site. That is all I can remember at the moment. We had a great stay and would recommend this resort for what is it, an affordable all inclusive in a wonderful location.

Windsor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed here for 7 days - which got extended to 10 days because our return aircraft could not get out of London.
We enjoyed the hotel and the concept of different restaurants. Our room was excellent, large and well appointed.
The staff serving drinks, in the restaurants and in reception could not have been more friendly and helpful.
The hotel was completely full - which we found out when we needed to stay the extra three days. At first it looked as if we would have to seek other hotels. However, the staff listened to our plight and worked wonders to accommodate us. We cannot praise them enough.
Our only complaint was the noise level. For some reason, some of the other guests seemed to think that it was important to have disco music blasting out all day long. Even when we sat on the beach 200 yards away from the pool, the “music” was intrusive and it was difficult to relax and read a book. Also, there was a small area surrounded by shops where the hotel showed a DVD (like Avatar) at night. The sound level was so loud that hardly anyone was able to stay and watch.
The majority clientele were 30-40 years old, tattooed, loud and into serious drinking all day long.
One word of warning: don’t book the tennis court for 17:00-18:00. It gets dark at 17:15 and the entertainment staff seems completely incapable of organising the flood lights despite being requested in advance. Full of promises but it just didn’t happen – several times.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!