“What a great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
youghal
“What a great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

WE have just spent 2 weeks in this hotel we stayed in the preferred club area as we have walking difficulties it was perfect as the resort is very big.The staff are quiet unique as all are so happy and extremely helpful. The pool the restaurant reservation in food hall and reception. It would be unfair to name one member of staff as we never encountered any staff with bad attitude. The evening entertainment was excellent. If you wanted to be active there was always something to do.Very good choice of food and restaurants. Drinks service round pool and beach amazing.

Room Tip: Worth upgrade to preferred club it is closer to most restaurants and entertainment.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,510)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Absolutely beautiful. Very courteous and friendly staff. The drinks and the view are wonderful. If there is a wedding or nightclub party going on it may be noisy if you want to spend the night in your room.

Room Tip: The resort property is sprayed every morning, so you do not have to bring insect repellants.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed in the Preferred Club Junior Suite there Feb. 23 - March 1, 2015. We were treated like royalty when we arrived and during our entire stay! Joseph, Owen and Wendy did an exceptional job checking in on us and making sure we had everything we needed. The meals and restaurants were very good, and there was a fine variety of tastes. They had nightly entertainment and what we saw we really enjoyed. The spa was very relaxing and personable. This property is the cleanest beach and facility I have ever seen. Amazed that we spent 7 days basically outdoors and never noticed any insects or pests. I would recommend this resort to everyone.

Room Tip: go for the Preferred Club! Ocean View
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We travelled , three couples for two weeks in early February , and have been to a few islands in the Caribbean before, and to Jamaica two years ago, in Negril. My first thoughts were, that this is a fantastic place, in a fantastic beachfront location, the resort is only a few years old 5 , I think. Some body has put a large amount of time into the design and logistics of the place which is huge. (very funny comment by a previous reviewer ,as built by LEGOLAND Architect , with watch towers!!) I did not expect 700 rooms in the two complexes , but the gardens are quite beautiful and looked after by some dedicated staff , one of which was the hard working and extremely pleasant Robert. All in all, the Staff are the most hard working and dedicated we have met , they make the resort what it is. They are Fantastic. Ranging from the excellent Petra in the Barracuda bar ,to the other boys Ricardo and Leo in one of the pool bars, incidentally he is as crazy as a bucket load of frogs!!! The lovely hard working Rosie on the beach to the guy who runs the Coco coffee bar , they are all special. I do think the Brits travel quite well and are nicely mannered with their Please and Thank You, unlike some other rather rude and abrupt guests. The staff always return your complements with a smile. Moving on, the rooms are quite adequate with balconies , mostly with sea views and comfortable beds and a decent shower and jet bath. Ok the shower door leaked a bit, put a towel down for god sake ,you're on holiday !! The mattress was changed straight away for a harder one , which was better for our backs, all pretty efficient. The beach area is great with decent sun beds and nice bathing with great drinks service. The beach area had great Wifi for those of us that cannot survive without doing some work while laid under a palm tree . A man can only take so much sun!! A think an upgrade to Preferred is unnecessary. Moving on to the food, breakfast is the best meal of the day , eaten in the largest self service café. The fruit is very good , but not everything available every day, I think this is a supply problem being an island, but the three egg ,omelette and pancake stations are excellent ,staffed by efficient and smiling staff, there's not much here that you cant find, really very good. The usual fight and scrum at the toaster station , isn't this the same at any large hotel, you either have to put the bread round three times, or it comes out burnt the first time!! The rest of the restaurants are adequate for the evening meals . The best being the teppanyaki cooking at the Asian, well worth a visit, but book up. It didn't do it for me, none of the others grabbed by the throat and said wow that was amazing, , I must hurry back. Lastly, there is this incessant and ridiculous tipping, encouraged by our cousins from over the pond, I see one reviewer lashed out $125 in 5 days!!! Why on earth do people tip every time for filling a glass with beer for god sake?? Tipping, in my book, is a reward for good service and a friendly attitude to a server who takes pride in what they do. We went to our usual table , got served by the same server most days , and told them we were there for two weeks and we shall tip them at the end, which we all duly did and they were all happy, whether it was on the beach or in the bars or restaurants. Otherwise you walk about like a mobile hole in the wall all day!! Anyway we all had a great time in a lovely place with nothing that you couldn't find, looked after by some very special people. Did we enjoy -yes, did we have a good time,-yes would we go back - possibly not , a little too big.

Room Tip: Try to go high up
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Our trip to Secrets was extremely disappointing. The staff at this hotel seemingly enjoys telling you "no."

For instance, my gf and I went to dinner at a nearly empty restaurant on the property. We sat sown at a 2-top banquette that was next to 10 open 2 top banquettes. We took it on our own to push two of them together so we could sit side by side on the banquette. A host then came over and told us we had to separate the tables in case other guests came (no other guests ever came).

After dinner we walked over to the restaurant next door hoping to have dessert and a drink (it was about 9:30, so a half hour before restaurants stopped serving).. We were excited because the restaurant had a large patio with about 20 tables (all open) under the stars. We asked the hostess to seat us. She asked if we would be having dinner, and we told her we just wanted dessert and a drink. She told us she couldn't seat us because she needed to keep her tables open for people who might come for dinner. I asked her if she really expected 20 tables to come in in the last 1/2 hour of service, to which to replied "we have to expect the unexpected." Yet again, no one ever came. Her snarky smile as she said this showed me she enjoyed being as inhospitable as possible.

When I tried to go snorkeling one day they told me that they weren't snorkeling because of the water quality or something and they didn't know when they would be able to again. I tried to inquire about times to make it work in my vacation, and they pretty much told me to buzz off.

This was pretty much standard issue for the service we received.

The food was absolute pathetic. The served the lowest quality food that they could get away with. The "steak" was like a salisbury steak from a tv dinner, and the "jumbo shrimp" that came with it were like those tiny cocktail shrimp you find on a prepared shrimp cocktail platter at your local grocery store. The world buffet food was school-cafeteria level.

I will say the drinks and bartenders were professional and great. The room was also quite nice.

Room Tip: Don't waste money upgrading for ocean view, not worth it
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

We booked a company group incentive trip to Secrets Wild Orchid for 35 people. The group staff at the resort was excellent to work with (Lylibeth and JodiAnn). Our entire group was very pleased with the property and most of the staff. I personally enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere and the beach location. We had previously stayed at the Iberostar Grand RoseHall in Montego Bay and I would say both of these resorts a very nice with friendly staff and comparable.

We liked the Hibachi Grill the best and our Chef was Melbourne or as he would say Mel to the Bourne. We also like our water there Knashville.

The grounds staff was very pleasant and almost always smiling.

My only complaint was with the servers at the French Restaurant and the Italian restaurant. The were not nearly as friendly as the rest of the resort staff. I'm not sure why but they were not smiling and almost burdened to serve us. We tip well so this made it hard to tip our normal amount.

Joseph was our bellman and he was awesome and always had a Huge infectious smile.

We did the preferred service and had a personal Butler (Calvin and La Choy). I would say that La Choy was by far the better butler of our two.

We stayed in the Presidential Suite which was very nice.

Overall it was a fun trip and we would recommend to anyone looking to go to Jamaica and stay there.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I have been around the world and on many cruise ships and I would say this resort has spoiled me for any other adventure. By far so much to do and eat there just isn't enough time. I travelled with one of my sisters and the room was more than accommodating for the 2 of us. What can I say about the service, it was impeccable by the end of our trip it was so sad to leave because the resort staff felt like family. Leo, Ricardo and the rest of the sugar reef bartenders were the best we never left their swim up bar!! Even though there was 4 other pools and countless bars. Not only did they make us feel welcome from the very first time Richardo managed to cure the stomach flu I arrived with, all it took was a special concoction as he put it made with "love" and it sure did the trick.!!! And then there was Leo, he made sure there was never a dull moment at the pool and bar....so much positive energy and vibrations I am sure this is the type of person Bob Marley had in mind when he sang of Jamaica's virtues and it's people. The resort has plenty to do and if you need a beach lounger Michael the lifeguard was always ready to help!! I cannot say enough about the how clean this resort and the beaches were. The best was the walkway running the resort that made it easy to walk or jog, so much easier than the beach as the sand was so powdery and fine which is not a bad thing by far!! The restaurants never had a wait and all restaurant have an appetizer, second course, main course and dessert....so much variety. Coco's cafe is the best for coffee on the run with unlimited cappacino, lattes etc....even alcohol after 10am if your coffee needs a boost as well as snacks and unlimited soft serve ice cream tucked in its corner. Free WIFI everywhere!!!!!!!!! I mean everywhere even on the beach.....I know what???? Yup for real!! Andre at the piano bar was the best too and desires nightclub - black light!! Beach parties, s'mores and sing-a-longs, beach yoga, the pace band at night....to name a few nocturnal events, loved, loved, loved it!!!!

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!