“3rd Day here and it's exceeding my expectations !!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“3rd Day here and it's exceeding my expectations !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

3rd Day here and it's exceeding my expectations !! Carissa our Concierge is wonderful along with all the other staff so far. Food is best we've had at an all inclusive by far. We upgraded to the preferred area access and it was well worth it for us to have the full bed type lounges and private beach area.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

Our many thanks to you for taking time to share with us via Trip Advisor. We are very happy indeed that we have been able to meet your expectations and we thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you for your next planned vacation.

Very best regards,

Caulette Mornan
Social Networking/eConcierge
econcierge.sesmb@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I understand how important reviews can be to a hotel as I work for one of the top international hotel brands. Therefore I am also very critical.
This experience was fantastic. If I could hire everyone I came in contact with, I would.
The staff in this property make it excellent. Everyone was so engaged, positive, genuine, and were so in tune to cues and proactively met every guest's needs.

The property is a short trip from the airport and we had prearranged transportation which was wonderful. The airport was easy to get through, as was customs.
When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a joyous “Welcome Home” from very eager bellman, doormen, registration attendants, and servers. Everyone was friendly, smiling, and appeared to have a genuine desire to be there.
Check in was smooth since we were with a pre-keyed group, and the bellman, assisted with luggage to our room. He came in the room with us and made sure we knew where everything was, and that we had everything we needed.
I loved the “secret door” as he called it. Here is a small compartment that you can put your dirty Room Service trays in so that they are not out in your room or in the hallway. It locks from the inside so the room is still secure.
The room was nice. Bed was comfortable, extra pillows and blankets in the room. Shower was great, rainfall shower head with a wand. It did leak but that was not a large enough issue to report because the service more than made up for the inconvenience of throwing a towel on the floor. The only small thing is that the bathroom is divided from the main area with only a sheer brown curtain. The toilet is behind a frosted glass door, so anyone in the room can see you in all your glory. A bit uncomfortable for a modest guest.
The pool was clean, and there is a restaurant poolside. Very convenient. They serve wraps, jerk chix/pork or burgers. Also a concession stand style location for burgers, hotdogs, homemade kettle chips, nachos, a soda fountain, and a beer tap. AWESOME!
We visited a few of the restaurants. The hibachi is a must! You need a reservation to sit around the chef but you can walk up and sit anywhere with no reservation. Food was incredible! Service spot on.
They tell you that the hibachi is the only restaurant that takes reservations, but we made a reservation for the Italian outlet. The food was incredible, but the timing was off. We were there for almost three hours and left prior to ordering dessert just because we didn’t want to spend our whole evening there. If you are not in a hurry or you have a small party, I’m sure it would not be an issue.
The breakfast buffet was great, variety of options, always hot and full lines. Omelet chefs and the servers sing to you! We also ate there for lunch and the food was just as enjoyable. Not as much service happening at lunch but we arrived only 40 minutes before lunch service ended so it was not very crowded.
Room Service was timely, hot, and the server brought our tray in ON HIS HEAD!!! Loved the entertainment factor of the staff! He got a nice tip! The menu is good before 10, then after 10 the menu is limited but chances are you dined in a restaurant and aren’t in the mood for a huge meal at midnight anyway!
The resort has photographers around property all day and night taking shots of you. You can purchase these photos at a kiosk, and the quality was exceptional. They were pricey, but you get a copyright release and they will put them on a disc so it’s a nice convenience.
There are a number of gift shops, but beware- pack more sunscreen than you anticipate needing! It was $32 for a bottle of SPF 50! Sheesh! But what are you going to do?!  The attendant at the gift shop was so nice; he engaged and talked with us about the weather and the local community. He had never seen snow and told us that he wears hoodie sweatshirts on the beach at night! We bought our son a hat with dreads on the back and he recommended taking a photo of him and posting it to social media. I WAS VERY IMPRESSED with that marketing thought process! And I did just that!
The entertainment was great, there was a beach party with dance contests and live music. The DJ was great; music was to date and a lot of fun. We had a beach Olympics event which was created especially for our group and everyone really enjoyed that. We took advantage of the sailing and snorkeling, which was very fun. The equipment was in good shape and the guides and attendants were of course very pleasant.
There is a jerk chicken cart that gets pushed around the resort every afternoon. You have to try it. Very spicy but you can get it without the sauce. Also a cart with fresh fruit, and another with fresh coconuts.
The spa. Oh the spa. My husband and I each had a massage. I had the Swedish, he had the deep tissue. We came early for the Hydro Circuit. It is a surprising rotation of steam room, cold shower, Jacuzzi, cold water plunge, and water jet pool. It was invigorating and was the perfect start to our day. The attendants were wonderful, the massages were totally worth the cost, and the facilities (although far from our room) were very well maintained and clean.
Now, I saved the best for last- THE SERVICE AT THIS HOTEL WAS INCREDIBLE. Point blank, no argument, best I’ve ever seen.
I wish that I had the names of all the incredible staff members that helped my group over the 5 days we were with them. Each of them deserves a special thank you! Our wait staff at the pool/beach/swim up bar were the best. I’m sure that they get kudos a lot being that is the heart of the property but they are all very talented people. LEO!! LEO!! LEO!! What more can we say? This guy does not walk. HE RUNS. He wears a straw hat that is overly large and shaped like a taco, he sings as he moves from place to place, and he makes up rhymes for everything. All of them very very funny! He remembers your name, he remembers your drink, and he makes you remember him! I don’t think he had a day off because he was always there! He served the pool and bar in the morning and early afternoon and then went to change his clothes into a more “butler” style suit/tuxedo. And what did he do? HE DOVE INTO THE POOL! Belly flops, backflips off the bar, and lead rhymes and chants with everyone in the pool. What a great time! He is truly a pillar to this resort.
One of the “banquet” waiters serving our opening night reception came to take my order. I asked for a Pina Colada. He said “no problem”. (Everyone says No Problem). Little did I know that he had to walk to a bar across the resort to get my drink. When I figured out where he went I thanked him so very much and commended his service level. Later, about 30 minutes, I walked up to the restroom with a friend and on our way back saw this young man coming toward me. He had a Pina Colada on a tray and called me by name. I had not asked for the drink (I wasn’t planning to, since I knew it was such a trouble to get) but he had taken it upon himself to provide that touch of above and beyond service that I am raving about now.

Every hotel will make a mistake. You will run into a “problem”. But what this resort has done is remarkable. They have ensured that you are going to have such phenomenal service, and such a wonderful time that any problem you come in contact with will mean nothing in comparison. They are doing something right. I strive to hire staff every day that truly “gets it” . That truly has a passion to serve and to serve well. To the staff of the Secrets Wild Orchid- If you ever find yourself in Louisville Kentucky- I have a place for you!

Bulverde, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My husband and I were sent here, all expenses paid. We heard many great things about the hotel and for the most part the hotel was pretty good. We had, I believe a mini suite... Room was spacious with a nice patio. Stand up shower and a seperate tub make he room look pretty cool however I was not a fan of the shower as it was smaller and also was a detachable shower head that seemed to have a mind of its own. The bed itself was ok but the pillows really messed my neck up.. Room was always cleaned and our lady was very friendly.

Food was again "ok" Nothing to write home about... We have been to Cozumel palace resorts and I am guessing have been totally spoiled as there foor was amazing... Secrets... not so much... there jamaican bread was spectacular though. All in all food wise we ended up leaving the hotel to hit the little boat house restraunt which is a big must!

If you plan on Scuba diving forget it! My husband has been scuba diving in a few places and always had spectacular service... This howeveer would be my first official dive after being certified in the states and lets just say they were not very helpful. Plan on settin gup your own equiptment and also be prepared to feel as if you are an inconvience to them! Not good!
Also during the dive unless you want to just see coral... dont bother.... barely any wild life and unless my husband had pointed it out i wouldnt have even seen the few fish that were down there.....

Spa service was great.. I had a facial howeveer it was my first so I have nothing to compare it to...

I wouldnt go back to Secrets because I feel I can get better service and quality at another resort

Room Tip: from what I saw they are all pretty good
SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was a great all-inclusive choice, but as always, it depends on the type of vacation that you are looking for. For my husband and myself, we just needed a few days R&R, without any plans to sight-see, or to explore the local culture, or be more active - for that type of vacation we would not choose an all-inclusive! That said, this fit the bill for us very well. The room was very comfortable, clean, and well-tended. We did choose the Preferred Club, for the above reasons, and I believe it was worth the extra cost. It is certainly more private, quieter, and laid back, but you still have the option to utilize the more active areas of the resort if desired. Our room was one of the few non-ocean front in the Preferred Club, and I may have liked it better that way. There are only 16 of them and unless your on the ground floor you have a lovely view over the bay area. At night the hills across the bay are lit up, and below you are overlooking the outdoor restaurant areas and piano bar. We would people watch at night and listen to the music from our balcony. The beach at this resort is not a long, natural stretch of beauty, but is still very inviting, well-equipped with a variety of sun & shade lounging, and the water is clean and wonderfully refreshing. The service is very dependable, and drinks are generous. Most importantly, I wanted to make a few comments on the food, as there is plenty of other resort information available from reviews. My husband is gluten-free and we were very pleased with the choices and quality of food. The Italian restaurant was so good we ate there twice. They have gluten-free pasta and make it to order - so expect a bit of a wait - but VERY good quality and taste. The breakfast and lunch buffet was always dependable with gluten-free choices (rather than the typical beachside burger without a bun route) and we were pleasantly surprised by a few desert cakes and cookies that were gluten-free. The staff is extremely friendly and went out of their way to provide for our dietary constraints. Our only complaint was no decaf coffee available for the room coffee maker, which seemed rather strange, but we were able to get decaf at the restaurants. For an all-inclusive, and certainly for the buffet-style dining at this resort, the food quality and dining options were above our expectations.

Room Tip: The Preferred Club is worth the extra $ if you are looking for a quieter, more intimate resort exper...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Myself and 3 of my girlfriends visited Secrets. Checking in was not a smooth process and took almost 2 hours, Kevin seemed to be doing too many things at one time, thankfully I had a drink in my hand while waiting! All the staff were so eager to please. The grounds were immaculate. We had awesome rooms, ocean view. Patio outside our room was perfect for our breakfast in the morning. The one thing I was disappointed about was the food. I had never been to an all inclusive before, the food was mediocre. They did have lobster night on Saturday and that was great. But the drinks were plenty full, the weather everyday was in the 80s and sunny. We were in heaven. We ventured off the resort and went to Negril and OchoRios. I would recommend visiting Dunns River Falls in OchoRios. We had an amazing time climbing the falls from the bottom to the top and also a got a video of us doing it! We stopped at a locals spot and ate snapper and lobster and shrimp after the climb. They over charged us, and it took forever for the food to be done, but I would do it again! We went to Rick's Cafe in Negril and I could have passed on that! The food was awful (I was very sick after eating there), but the sunset was breath taking. It is a 2hr ride there and back again, so I would pass on it next time. We also went land and sea horse back riding. What an experience! It rained while we were there but it didnt matter because it was so warm. The tour guide held our camera and took amazing pictures of us. The best part was being on the horse as it swam, what an experience. All the bartenders at the resort were awesome, anything we requested we received. Danielle is in the main Bar off the lobby, Martino was all over the place, they were the best! We went to Pier 1 night club which was interesting lol. A lot of weed smoking going on. The DJ was awesome. I did not like that they had no where to sit! Not one single chair! I was glad I didn't wear my heels that night! We used the transportation from the resort every time we left the resort. I did not like the fact that people held chairs at the pool. They would get up extra early in the morning and put a towel or a book or hat to hold their chairs and then disappear for half the day. The Jerk chicken cart was sooo good! I don't like very spicy so I didn't get the sauce and without the sauce was just as flavorful. If you go snorkeling do it in the morning! I did it in the afternoon and it was such a waste of time. Nothing but grey fish. There was absolutely no color. But I spoke to a coworker who was there the same time I was and he said it was beautiful when they went in the morning. Overall, this was the best vacation! I am looking at dates to go back this year!!! I will upload photos this evening.

Room Tip: We were on the ocean side, ground floor, 2 skips and a jump from the ocean. Absolutely beautiful!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Well, we came 2 years ago to Secrets St. James and just came back from Secrets Wild Orchid. I have to say, this is one of my favorite places to stay out of all the places I've been. The people are just so nice and willing to go above and beyond to make your stay the best possible. The pool bartenders Cordiff, Chrisna and Donald were so great and Cordiff remembered us from 2 years ago. Also the entertainment and waitresses around the pool couldn't be better. Nadine and Erica were great as was Candy Crush, Vanessa, Tina Marie and others. Nadine waited on us 2 years ago so it was nice to also see her again. We'll be back!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

Thanks for choosing our resort for your vacation once again. It was our pleasure to host you this past February and I am very happy that you enjoyed our service as well as the friendliness of our team members. We truly appreciate your recognition of those team members who added to the value of your experience here.

Thanks for sharing your review and hope that you will come again soon.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant
Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Nice Place, Showers did leak into toilet area. Our bed was upside down so mattress was very soft and you rolled into each other. Other than those minor things we had a wonderful time and would revisit again.

Dear Valued Guest:

It was a pleasure to host you for your recent vacation and I am happy that you had a great time with us. Please accept our apology for the issue you had with the mattress. This was not intentional and we would have been happy to adjust this if notified. Despite that, it’s great to read that you had a wonderful time.

Thanks for having selected our resort for your vacation and please do come again.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!