“Best Experience in Jamaica yet” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Mishawaka,IN
“Best Experience in Jamaica yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have traveled to Jamaica 3 times. Twice now to Montego Bay and once to Negril. This was my first time at Secrets Wild Orchid (I previously stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean and Couples Negril.) I love that this resort was close to the airport (15 minutes) but farther south so you don't get all the airplane noise as you do at some of the other resorts. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly, offered rum punches, jerk chicken and fresh cut pineapple. Everything seemed fabulous as this was the best greeting I have ever received when traveling. When we were checking in we found out they had either overbooked or had a computer glitch and we would not be able to get our preferred swim out suite (our friends received a different story than we did so I can't say for sure which reason it was). This was very concerning as this was a major reason we picked this resort and booked in February for a November vacation. We were offered monetary compensation and some comps (massages, private dinner on the beach, etc.). We were all tired and just wanted to check in so we took the deal. Just make sure the monetary compensation is the actual difference in the rooms. Do the math on your own people. They gave us a room on the 4th floor which was amazing. The view was stellar and in hind sight, I am glad we didn't get the swim outs. The people at the pool can see everything you are doing unless you draw your curtains. I enjoyed the privacy of our 4th floor corner room and the spectacular views. The room itself is great. The beds are very comfortable and I never once heard our neighbors. The shower has a detachable head and also a rain feature which was very nice. The room comes with bottles of Rum, Vodka and a bottle of Merlot. Our refrigerator had a selection of Coke, Sprite, beer, and water. They restocked it daily and housekeeping did an amazing job.

Some of the other reviews have indicated poor food which I never once had. I enjoyed every single meal I ate. Breakfast, lunch buffets, and dinner at each place was amazing. I enjoy spicy food so the fact that they had a spicy option everywhere I went was great. My husband however is a very bland eater (chicken strips, mashed potatoes, fries, etc.) He was able to eat great at every restaurant. There is something for everyone if your willing to branch out a little from all the processed American crap we are so used to. One night we tried to get in at the hibachi grill but it was all booked. We had a table right next to it though and got to see the whole show without all the added heat from the grill which was nice. The dinner we ate at our private dinner on the beach though had the most amazing food of the entire trip. If you can do one, I highly recommend it. The preferred lounge is also great for snacks and drinks till 11pm. After that they serve late night food till 2am at El Patio. We took advantage of that too as we are night owls.

Love love love the 24 hour room service here. The selection is great. They are very prompt and extremely polite. Even if you just want to order three additional Pepsi's, they run them right up.

We stayed on the preferred side which I would highly recommend. Its quiet and relaxing and there are pool side servers. If you want to play pool volleyball and have some fun the main pool always has something going on. I am 33 however and don't need to listen to fist pumping music while I am trying to read. I never had a problem finding four chairs together. I also didn't have a problem with people saving chairs and they told us the resort was at 100% capacity. Loved the pool area. It was kept so clean as well. Never any trash anywhere. The beach was nice too. Always some little fish swimming around.

Drinks were great. Quite strong. I love fruity stuff so I mostly enjoyed pina coladas, banana daiquiris and margaritas.

One thing that was concerning to me is how other travelers treat the staff. Some people would snap their fingers at the pool guys or forget their manners entirely with wait staff. Yes you paid to be there but they are still human beings. Have a little respect for your fellow man.

I highly recommend the coffee bar. This became one of my favorite places and it was nice to not be shelling out $5 for fancy coffees as I drank 4 a day.

The resort had a daily activity sheet which included the drink of the day, the times for all the events and activities that were happening. They showed a movie every night, had talent shows, a circus, a beach party, all kinds of fun things. If you are not a participator this all ended by 10:30. After that there is a cool piano bar that keeps going and a night club.

I loved walking around the resort at night. Unlike other resorts I have been to they have a very nice sidewalk that runs down the ocean for quite a while. You can just stroll around and it is so peaceful. There is a decent mix of ages here so I didn't feel too young or too old.

Overall this was my most favorite resort in all my Jamaican travels. I would go back again in a minute.

Room Tip: I recommend a room that is higher. The views are stunning.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,380)
Fleetwood, Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Nice rooms, beautiful beaches and area.
Food is great, and you can drink yourself silly with the all inclusive everything if that's your bag.
Wish I could buy the beds they have in the US, they are fabulous, can't find them anywhere.
Service not what I expect from a resort like Secrects/UVC. Follow up on requests fell through the cracks repeatedly. Had ants in the hallway and room, reservation dates different from the confirmation they sent me VS.what they had in their computer system.Wireless service expensive and terrible.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Everything from check in to check out was beyond amazing! They hotel staff couldnt be more helpful and friendly. Food was fantastic as well as room service! The view and beach were beautiful! There was always something to do at the resort every day and night! My favorite place to eat was the hibatchi grill Himitsu! We traveled for our honeymoon and we were upgraded from St. James to the Wild Orchid which was incredible. The room was huge with a beautiful ocean view! We were even given an ipad for the week that could be used as a wifi hotspot for our phones! I would absolutely reccommend this resort to everyone!

Review collected in partnership with AMResorts

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The service was over the top fabulous!!! I love this resort good food relaxing and fun time. The location was great not far from airport. The spa was fantastic and relaxing. If you need to just get away and relax I recommend Secrets Wild Orchard.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with AMResorts

Georgetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We spent a week at this resort for a family wedding and were overwhelmed at the great place it is for both relaxing and enjoying so many activities at the same time. The staff was second to none in meeting (with smiles and courtesy) any need we had, from providing attentive (and even entertaining!) service at meals or bringing coffee and cookies to the pool deck at 6 in the morning, to walking into the ocean to deliver a drink for someone cooling off in the surf. The restaurants were excellent, and the evening entertainment very enjoyable. I just wish I could have stayed awake all night to enjoy more of it. The holiday was 51 weeks too short! Yah mon! Wow!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jamison, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was our second time at Secrets, and we loved it just as much if not more. We were there with 2 other couples for a quick 3 night stay in the beginning of November. As we always do, we booked our trip with Steve from Beach Bum Vacation!

The first thing you notice upon arrival is the stunning beauty of the resort, and smiling faces. The pools, swim up bars, hot tubs, beautiful beaches, charismatic entertainment staff, and of course the anticipated daily arrival of the jerk chicken cart fill your days. Each night we went to a different restaurant, where we had delicious entrees with unlimited cocktails. (We went to Portofino, Bordeaux, and the hibachi place) Nightly we also visited the piano bar so socialize and hear some good music.

We stayed in a Preferred Club ocean view room. Beautiful view of the ocean and pools. Room service is available 24/7, which is always nice.

South Park Township, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Was looking for a Great Resort with no kids and found one here...Room and room service was excellent. We were in the Preferred Presidential Suite and my Children and there spouses were in Junior Suites...All the views were perfect, and we loved the fact that we weren't bothered by people walking the beach soliciting. Very quiet and private in our area. Very clean and lots of helpful people... Loved the Jerk chicken everyday which was served from a cart// real deal!
Lots of restaurants to choose from however the Freshest was the Hibachi..
Will definitely be returning...one slight no so good would have to be that the food, while looking wonderful, did not always have great flavor...a small token from really a Super resort.!! .

Room Tip: Preferred area is nice if you like it a little more quiet...all other areas are open to all so you c...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!