“OMG! What an amazing place - Paradise on earth!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Southampton, United Kingdom
“OMG! What an amazing place - Paradise on earth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Well, where do I start?

One word......................fantastic! amazing!, wonderful! ok I know that's 3 to name but a few :-) but there really aren't enough words to describe this beautiful place, its people and its scenery.

We travelled to Jamaica to get married and have our honeymoon at the same time. This was a holiday of a lifetime for us and the memories that the hotel and its staff have given us are priceless.

The hotel and its grounds are immaculate thanks to the army of grounds men that work throughout the day. A big hello and thank you to OMAR who looks after Bob & Rita (the resident parrots), he took the time everyday to speak to us and was courteous, polite and friendly.
NALINI on the front desk was there to help us with any questions or requests we had regarding the hotel and its services.

The restaurants and their waiting staff were amazing - the food? OMG! 5 star all the way and the choice! We loved the Bordeaux and regularly dined on steak & lobster all of which was cooked to perfection every time.

The wedding staff were brilliant - they talked us through the ceremony and were on hand for anything we needed. They could not have done more for us so a big thank you to them, especially TONY the photographer and DERRICKA who looked after us on our special day.

We loved the rum and all the fantastic cocktails we tried (daily & nightly) go see ERNEL, he makes a mean cocktail!

If you are going to do some excursions I would definitely recommend the following which we booked through our Rep at the hotel:-

Black River Crocodiles
Ricks Café
Sunset Cruise
YS Falls
Appleton Rum Tour
Negril 7 Mile Beach
Swim with Dolphins

Our hotel room was amazing - we had booked the preferred club junior suite, ocean view with private swim out. This gave us a bath on our balcony which we loved to sit in and drink our rum watching the fantastic sunsets and steps down into our private pool. DANION kept our bottles of rum coming and all the coffee and soft drinks we wanted. We had a Jacuzzi bath in the room which the staff decorated on our wedding night with rose petals! The bed was huge and my husband who is fussy about his bed said it was the best bed he had ever slept in.

The hotel provided some amazing entertainment - Pace and the Steel Drum group were brilliant and I tell you the Jamaican ladies that danced would put Miley Cyrus to shame with their 'twerking'!!!

All in all we cannot praise this hotel and its staff enough - for us it has given us the best start to married life we could have possibly hoped for so a huge 'THANKYOU' to you all at Secrets Wild Orchid.

We are now officially Jamenglish!

Room Tip: If you can spend a little extra go for the preferred club junior suite private swim out rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
Vernon, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Just got back from a weeks stay at the Wild Orchid. Check in was a nightmare. Never offered welcome drink, lobby area full with no line so people just went to desks in any order. My travel agent never gave me any paperwork because they had messed up our reservation and only finally booked the resort a week before. The desk clerk said we needed a voucher to check in, which we had never received. She had me check my e-mail and it wasn't there, since I had just checked my e-mails that morning. She called every day and left messages, which we couldnt get because the message button on our phone didnt work (that will follow). Finally was in the room and spoke to her 5 days into our vacation. I told her that i tried to call the travel agency and couldnt get a call out. She told me she wasnt supposed to let me in the room without a voucher. Really my travel agent had made the reservations by calling directly and couldnt they call directly back and arrange to have the voucher e-mailed. I found it odd that no one we spoke with in the pool knew anything about having to have a voucher.
While checking in we asked the clerk to check because my husband was having a scooter delivered because he is on oxygen and can't walk long distances. She would say she was going to check, would get up get to flirting with other male workers and come back without even checking. This happened more than once.
She never gave us any information. We arrived around 2:15, finished check in at 2:45 and was told our room wouldnt be ready until 4:00, funny since check in time is 3:00.
We upgraded to the preferred club and was charged $560.00, but was put into a room in the regular building, room 2425, it did by no means look like an upgrade. Never used the preferred club because it was to far for my husband to go in the heat because of his breathing. A total waste of money.
Finally got to our room, read the book with instructions which explained the icons to press on the phone to get services.we wanted to get room service, our telephone had no icons. Tried to use the internet information that was free with preferred club, wouldn't work in the room.
Most employees that did anything for you expected to be tipped. We came with plenty of ones, but the tips are supposed to be included.
The food from room service was not very good.
I know it sounds like a lot, but, The French restaurant was the best, the Japanese was also very good. The pool bartenders were very nice. The pool was beautiful.
We were there celebrating our 5 year anniversary we had gone to the Couples San Souci on our honeymoon, this resort really couldnt compare and was much more expensive. We will not return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Awesome trip!! Only complaints are a slow check in if several people arrive at the same time. Also the low room temperature is locked, so we could never drop it really cool enough at night to sleep really well. The resort was great and most the employees very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013
Fall City, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Met some friends here for long weekend in October. Resort was very nice, clean, good location (close to airport but not in flight path). Rooms all faced the ocean with some having slightly better views, but not to the point where I would pay anything extra. We got free upgraded access to the preferred club which turned out to be not much more than better liquor, appetizers and wifi in the lobby of the preferred club. A number of people we met paid extra for it. Probably not worth the $$$ ?? The preferred pool was nice but small and too quite for our group. We ended up moving back to main pool to hear some music and be able to joke around without disturbing others. The pools were a bit of a disappointment. They were pretty small and I could see it being uncomfortable/crowded if the hotel was full. The beaches were also small but nice (some rocks/weeds you have to try to avoid). Food at poolside was OK but the restaurants were very good! Couple of issues with service made this visit less than 5 star experience. Specifically, check in service was very good, poolside drink service was hit or miss (ended up getting drinks ourselves most of the time), bar service was definitely at a "Jamaican pace"(bring your patience), and long waits to be seated for dinner were a disappointment. WiFi was terrible...plan on being 'off the grid' at this place... Overall I had a good time and would definitely return to Secrets resorts, just probably not this one... (Having been at other Secrets in Mexico etc. they are nicer/better service). Hope this was helpful... Safe travels...

Room Tip: Don't believe there is much difference between rooms, even compared to sister resort next door...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Delray beach, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband surprised me with a trip to Jamaica for my 40th, little did I know 11 of my family and friends would also be there! It was an amazing trip that will be close to impossible to top. The food was delish, the grounds were beautiful, we spent time in the piano bar with sing alongs of our choosing. The Dance club was fun and we ended the trip on Karaoke night which was perfect for one particular person in our group! He had everyone dancing and singing! The setting on the property was so nice- a true paradise. The food surpassed any cruise I've ever been on. All the other guests we met had a great time too. Such a wonderful trip!! I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
melville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

my wife and I just came back from a 4 night stay and couldn't have been happier ! we traveled with 2 other couples and we all had an amazing time , rooms were nice ., food was good and the staff was great ! there was plenty to do or you could just do nothing , entertainment at night was nice , band could have played later was my only complaint of the whole trip ! we are planning to go back with family for new years, hopefully !

Room Tip: higher level rooms have a better view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Crown Point, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Be advised if you pick this square deal you will be sent to St. James if they send you to one of the two. We were sent there and first thing our shower was leaking all over the floor, soaked all of our luggage and clothes, and we had no ocean view. After walking around the resort we quickly realized everything is catered to and conveniently located on the 'Wild Orchard' side of the resort. We paid cash to upgrade next door, ocean front and it was well worth it. I give Secret's Wild Orchards 4.5, there is no way to give that so I am choosing 4 over 5. For the price WE paid, it was phenomenal! However, we talked to many couples who were super disappointed because they paid triple what we spent and the reviews are a little better than the service and food they anticipated! Staff was rude, expect a tip for EVERYTHING, almost uncomfortably. Which was ok, we brought $200 in singles. I recommend always bring at least $100 in singles on any all-inclusive, we made that mistake our first vacation, no one had change, EVER. Food was average, not great, the jerk chicken was the best. Drinks were weak especially at the outdoor bars/pools. I suggest the classier small bars inside. Beach was ok, not great, but the views are stunning. I would go back. Had a HORRIBLE experience at the St. James Seaside Grill/Oceana? We ordered the Calamari as a appetizer, when served it was strung together by thick black long hairs, MULTIPLE. I immediately asked for a manager and he took the plate within seconds, probably worried I was going to take a photo, which I intended to do. He then apologized over and over and wanted to "make it up to us". He then called our room to ask us to come back downstairs later on that evening for a romantic dinner. My husband agreed to meet him, but said we would not be eating THERE again. He then gave my husband and I a cocktail with Patron. He must have thought that was like giving gold away. In reality, we drink that often, we were expecting at least a dinner on the beach, but o'well. We moved on. My favorite thing about Secrets is 100% their rooms. They are so comfortable for a vacation, I am extremely picky and I have to give it to them on that, they are clean and luxurious. Once you upgrade to ocean front/preferred club, you have a private bar and appetizers in the lobby which is quiet, relaxing, and classy. Not over the top, but quaint. I would go back again! Beautiful place, very romantic, best I've ever been to yet!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!