“Amazing 1st anniversary..if the food was better it would've been 5 stars” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #11 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
san diego
“Amazing 1st anniversary..if the food was better it would've been 5 stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Very beautiful and amazing resort! Wild orchid and st James basically is one big resort with guests sharing both sides including beaches (st James side much larger and way less rocky than wild orchids side), pools, restaurants and entertainment centers. No wrists bands or restaurant reservations needed except for the himachi grill part of the himitsu restaurant (reservations not needed for a la carte dining). Never had to wait any longer to be seated.

I'm a foodie and based on reviews on TA was expecting better food. Went to Secrets the Vine in Cancun for my honeymoon last year and every single meal was exceptional and surpass my expectations... First class.

World cafe Buffet during breakfast was good. Made to order Omelette station. Basic american breakfast fare. Eggs, bacon, sausages, ham, smoked salmon, fruits, bread, pastries and fruit juices.

World cafe Lunch buffet was not very good, boring and repetitive. Oceana (wild orchid poolside) lunch serves design your own wraps type of menu with a cold bar buffet of fruits and assorted salads. We fould it ordinary and kind of like cafeteria quality. Nothing special. So we tried lunch at st James side's version of the poolside dining (forgot the name) and it too wasnt very good..fish of the day was dry. Then there was barefoot grill (set between a beach path walk from wild orchids to st james) which serve chips, nachos, burgers, beef/chicken jamaican patties and fountain drinks. This is a good option for people who wants a quick bite to eat. I really wish there were more quality lunch options to choose from. So we ended up eating jerk chicken from the cart they pushed around for lunch the rest of the trip which was EXCEPTIONALLY good by the way!!! Moist succulent chicken in a rich and spicy sauce. We're really gonna miss the jerk chicken for sure.

Saturday nights are lobster nights at the buffet. We were really excited about it and expected lobsters more than one way. They had 3 stations with lobster and side dishes. All three station served the same grilled lobsters and the same sides. Lobsters at all 3 stations made by different cooks were very dry. And dinner lacked "buffet" variety in both lobsters and sides.

For our anniversary night dinner we decided to dine at Bordeaux. Their top fine dine restaurant. Again another disappointment. We ordered all the recommended dishes. Escargot app lacked flavor. Savory crepe app was pretty one note and also lacked flavor. Surf and turf (sirloin and half a lobster tail) asked for med rare but came out well done with again, a dried out lobster tail. Husband's dish was unmemorable. Can't remember what he had that night for the life of us and we've only been home 2 days. We pretty much gave up on the food here but we gave Bordeaux a second try on our last night and its was an amazing last supper!!! Maybe it was a different cook?? Idk but we both loved it!! Lobster bisque, some type of cheese fondue app, lamb 2 ways entree and tried the surf and turf once again. Everything was excellent!! Husband especially loved the fondue plate. And the surf and turf made a complete 180 on me. Steak perfectly cooked and well seasoned. Lobster tail was deliciously "melt in your mouth" tender!! I wished the food was was at this level the first time we tried the restaurant!! We would've eaten here more often.

Portifino only has one good dish out of the 8 we tried between the 4 of us and it was the prawn risotto app. Sooooooo yummy!! Creamy yummy deliciousness!!! Or pastas all lacked flavor and proteins were really dry and underseasoned...even the meatballs!!

Himitsu's himachi grill was really run and entertaining. Food was once again dry..steak, shrimp. Fried rice really salty. It was good that they asked if anyone had food allergies though. I really give it to the himachi grill guy chefs..they were so entertaining and funny. The diners behind us at the girl's himichi grill seemed kind of quiet and bored though...maybe she's new. She was quiet and shy. We came back another night for a la carte and it was OK. We enjoyed the spicy soup and the miso soup.

Didn't get to try the blue mountain restaurant.. It wasnt open everyday. And wasn't able to try patio restaurant.

Room service's breakfast menu was very limited for non preferred room guest. No eggs, bacon, sausages...only fruit, pastries, yogurt and cereal. All day Menu (I think its from 11am-10pm) was decent. Late night menu is limited too..mostly sandwiches..so for a 6 night stay it did get repeatative. We eat late night a lot.

There are mosquitos here. Even more during this raining time of year and I got eaten alive. I had lots of large, inflammed, throbbing and super itchy bites. I wasn't prepared for this. They have repeallent at the convenience store on site. Expensive though. Some people had my types of bites while others had tiny nothing bites. They will spray your room down if asked. Had to get it done daily.

Overall I had a excellent time at this beautiful resort. Great service but we would only come back if their food quality improves. Hope this review helps

Stayed here for our 1st anniversary 9/7-9/13.

• Stayed September 2013

3,143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,149)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Wow! I just got back last week from the Secrets Wild Orchid at Montego Bay, Jamaica. It was a little piece of paradise just about a two hour jet flight from the east coast of the US. The beach, the room, the staff, the service, all was OUTSTANDING! Special recognition for going above and beyond the call of duty goes out to Relaine and Natalya at the concierge desk, Sherita and Karon in VIP services and the waitress and waiter at the piano bar on the St James side of the resort. I had great experiences with all the employees I interacted with. However, if there's a bonus program, the aforementioned names I highlighted deserve every dollar. It was just what I needed to relax and unwind. I look forward to returning as soon as I can.

Room Tip: The Wild Orchid Resort was in closer proximity to the restaurants and entertainment.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We booked a preferred club room, which is a separate wing to the main hotel. The first room we stayed in over looked the bars and restaurants and was very noisy. We asked if we could change room and we decided to go for the paid upgrade to the master suite. It was amazing. Beautiful views over the sea, lovely and quiet. Separate living area, jacuzzi on the balcony and butler service.
All the butlers I dealt with were amazing, top notch service from all the staff but the butlers were superb.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a master suite once you get there. It made our holiday very special
Sartell, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I had a recent opportunity to view this property while doing site inspections for travel business while I was in Jamaica. I was amazed at the beauty and quality of this resort. I did not want to leave. All the staff we encountered while on the property were so friendly and helpful. The spa looks incredible and I can not wait to return to this property for a vacation. A definite must experience resort on my list.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room at this resort.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest:

It was our pleasure to have hosted you at our resort for your most recent vacation. We are very happy that you enjoyed your time spent here. Much effort is made to ensure that all guests have a great stay and we appreciate your time taken to share your experience with us. Looking forward to your next visit!

Warmest Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant
Suffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Wow just wow! Just got back the other day from Paradise on Earth. The beach, the room, the staff, the service, all was FANTASTIC! Special recognition goes out to Karma our waitress outside at the piano bar, she was so pleasant and took great care of us. Just a couple small gripes...they only have red stripe (and it tastes different that at home) for beer and the gift shops are extremely overpriced ($40 for a t-shirt smh.) Every restaurant was good especially the Japanese hibachi. The service was a little slow for dinner but your in Jamaica mon, where do you have to go? lol. I highly recommend the zip line excursion, so much fun, one line is over 1000 ft long and over 500 off the ground while your surrounded by jungle, so cool. The food highlight of my trip was the jerk chicken cart that goes up and down the beach, I miss it so much! The chicken was so tender and the flavor out of this world. The view from our room was breathtaking. I cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Wild orchid side is better and newer than the st. james side.
Fayetteville, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I read through hundreds of reviews before deciding to book a wedding trip for my wife and I. I noticed that at this location, most every review specifically mentioned members and staff. Now I realize why. Every single member of the staff that you encounter at this resort goes out of their way to make your trip a great experience. For that reason, I'll begin my review there.

STAFF:

From start to finish, each member of the staff we encountered at the Wild Orchid treated us like family. We hit a snag immediately at check in due to an issue with our card being flagged for attempting to swipe it in another country. The front desk staff was incredibly patient with us, helped us call our bank, and served us drinks while we got the situation resolved. I had a good buzz going before we reached our room. My wife had grown concerned about the card issue, but the staff was very reassuring and friendly. We got it resolved. We also learned at check-in that we had been upgraded at no cost to the MASTER SWIM OUT SUITE, instead of a standard swim out. More on that room (which was in my opinion the most ideal room on the property) later.

From there our bags were escorted to our room by more friendly staffers.

After that, we met the two butlers, which is a service I was not prepared for but came included with our room. REFINESHA and PETRONA were absolutely the best part of our entire trip. I really hated to say goodbye to them when we left, because those two are largely responsible for making our trip as good as it was. We were hesitant to even call them. It just isn't something we were used to and didn't find it necessary. They were insistent though and took care of literally everything. They booked special dinner reservations, spa treatments, set up our hot tub, randomly sent us special room service orders, and most importantly to me, they made sure I always had cold Red Stripe! I can't really describe how incredible and kind they were.

Bartending and drink waiting staff was also excellent. They were friendly, entertaining, and mixed excellent drinks. CHRISNA and ROMARIO from the Barracuda Bar near the beach were excellent. I showed up there around 11 AM on Sunday to see about watching football there. They were happy to turn the channel to the NFL game I wanted to watch. They got a kick out of the love Americans have for football, but had a great time watching the games with us. They always made sure you had a drink in your hand, and for added measure they would randomly set up and take shots with you every few minutes. Those two were awesome.

Two other notable staff members I wanted to mention were our pool cleaner, Louinne (sp?) and our house keeper Latoya. Both were incredibly friendly and helpful.

One thing to note is that none of these staff members asked for, nor let on at any time that they expected a tip. Of course, I believe they more than earned it and was happy to tip bartenders, drink servers, meal servers, then a little bit more substantial tip for the butlers. I don't know what is customary, but don't be concerned about it because none of the staff ever let on that they expected it. They were extremely professional.

THE RESORT PROPERTY:

The resort itself is very clean and kept. The grounds are strewn with beautiful vegetation, flowers, peacocks, parrots, etc. I suppose the place is still relatively new, because there is very little in the way of wear and tear. The lobbies are scented with incense. We were in the Preferred area, which I highly recommend. It is much more private. The beach was never crowded. In fact, we would go out at times and there would be no one else on the beach. The beaches and entire resort are incredibly clean. The surrounding waters are very clear, beautiful turquoise colors in peak daylight. The waters feature a lot of sea life including various fishes, barracuda, crab, urchin, jellyfish, and we even saw Dolphins a few hundred yards out. Everything is close to the preferred club area on the Wild Orchid side. The restaurants and bars were all nearby. The only thing that wasn't was the spa, which was a pretty lengthy walk to the other side of the St. James resort. Fortunately, our butlers arranged transportation for all my wife's spa services by golf cart. The spa did a great job on her hair for our wedding day by the way.

ROOMS:

As previously mentioned, we were upgraded to the master swim out suite. We spent a couple hours just looking at the various room locations on the property and did not see any room that was better. Our master swim out was situated on the end of the preferred building. This room was situated maybe 25 feet from the beach and maybe 50 feet from the water. The view was just incredible. Since we were already so close to the water, we spent far more time on our patio and the swim out area. It was just a perfect spot, but also private enough. The patio leads directly into the swim out area. I don't think it is technically a private area, but there was never really anyone swimming in our pool area except people we invited. The patio also features a large, private hot tub.

The interior of this particular room is really, really spacious. It opens to a large living room with furniture, flat screen, sliding doors, dinner table, cabinet and refrigerator area and an assortment of lighting options. From there you enter the bedroom, which was also very spacious and features another flat screen. The bed itself was an 8/10 comfort wise, not too shabby. The bath area is huge. Large tub with jets. Double sink vanity area. Closet with safe. The shower was the best part. It is massive, with two ceiling flow shower heads, then removable shower heads on the wall. The shower has a seating area inside as well. It was just awesome.

FOOD:

The food here was shockingly good. I expected mediocre food, but really enjoyed most of it. I will break it down by dining option:

-Blue Mountain: This is the Jamaican style restaurant. We both enjoyed our dishes here. I had curry goat, my wife had a shrimp dish. Service was great.

-Portofino: This was the Italian place and featured my favorite dish, which was prawns and risotto. We had 3 courses here, all of mine were great, including linguini and meatballs and pork tenderloin. This was my favorite place.

-Himitsu: This was the Japanese place. We didn't expect much here, but it really wasn't bad. In fact my wife enjoyed this place the most. I had their beef teriyaki special. It was alright. We didn't do the hibachi, but they were very entertaining.

-World Cafe: We went here every day for a big, big breakfast. They have literally every breakfast food you can imagine in a buffet setting. My favorite dish here was ackee and saltfish. Try it.

-Oceana: Very good wraps, nice spot for lunch over toward the St. James side. More of a party atmosphere there.

-El Patio: This is the Mexican place. We didn't enjoy it as much as the others. The chicken enchilada special was alright though.

-Room Service: The room service was just okay. They did have really good fried provolone cheese and decent salads. The portions are very small, so order multiple if you're hungry. They are happy to fix it for you. I would avoid the cheesecake here. The topping is rubbery, peeled off like a sheet of latex. That was literally the only thing I didn't like on our stay.

-Cafe CoCo: This was a great coffee stand near the casino and game area. Garfield serves various coffees there and he does a great job. Check it out if you enjoy coffee.

CONCLUSION:

This is a place we would definitely return to. We were extremely well taken care of. If you get an opportunity to get that specific room near the beach, take advantage of it. It is just an incredible spot at an incredible resort on an incredible island full of incredible people.

Room Tip: The master swim out suite on the end of the preferred building nearest the beach and large hot tub i...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

OH.MY.GOSH is all I should need to write but I won't because I want to share my thoughts with you all!

This place is amazing and so much more. The grounds are gorgeous with wonderful views, the staff are friendly, polite and extremely welcoming, the food is delightful: Mexican, French, Italian, Japanese, Caribbean plus the FANTASTIC mouthwatering buffet (unlimited food & DESSERTS) all free of charge including alcohol as it is an all inclusive resort! All of this from one of the most negative and fussiest people in the world!

I met so many lovely (and annoying at times if I'm honest) guests from all over the US and the UK (like me). There were weddings everyday which was lovely to see. The weather was gorgeous even when it rained- which it did bearing in mind that I chose to go in hurricane season!

There's plenty to do on site and off site depending on the type of tourist you are and my mum, twin sister and I were treated like family for the 2 weeks I was there. I cannot thank the staff enough for a wonderful break and I hope that I will go back to celebrate my birthday in January. It is THE place to visit, you see plenty of sashes on the suite doors welcoming: returning guests, honeymooners, anniversary/birthday/wedding guests you name it! I truly LOVE it hence my first and VERY long review on TripAdvisor :)!

Make sure you visit, if at any point you are not happy for whatever reason the staff are very accommodating and will be sure to change that! I see that some reviews mention theft which thankfully to my knowledge did not occur to any of the MANY guests I met during my stay and certainly did not happen to me as I appear to have everything I went to Secrets...actually I left with more thanks to the generosity of staff i.e. My mum was given a hand made flower arrangement plus a cake etc!

Also, I didn't use the Spa services but quite a few guests mentioned that they were really good which is a shame because you receive vouchers on arrival which I never used thinking back now! There's plenty of space in the pools and on the sun loungers...bottled cold water and food like Jamaican patties, fritters, jerk chicken etc are readily available on the beach. For those who need alcohol, it is just as easy to have wherever you are on the resort: lobby, beach, restaurant you name it. Well stocked mini bar in the rooms which is constantly replenished and strangely NO MOSQUITOES so either all the deterrents that they use actually work or I was very lucky ;-D! 35/40 min. room service whatever the time of day, regular housekeeping, daily turn down service...I just cannot recommend this place enough. They won't please 100% of the people but I'm pretty sure that they get a close 99.9% because even I was shocked at how great this place is...I thought the reviews were exaggerated but me and my family literally had the best holiday we've ever had ANYWHERE!

Lastly, thank you to practically everyone there especially Kevin (Front Desk) Billy L (Guest Services) Lincoln B & Mark (Taxi Service) Jeffrey, Tergeary (Guest Services) Nicoleen (Amstar Desk) Jahmar, Shanomar, Wilton, Marvin, Leo, Cordiff, Andrew (Bar Staff) Andre, Kaneil (Landscapers) Carl (Chef) Sophia, Oneil, Joven, Kanute and Martina (Restaurant Staff)!!!!!

Whoo what a long list, I've never had to thank so many people for such great customer service! Well done Secrets, I WILL be back for sure!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!