“Best trip I've ever taken.” 5 of 5 stars

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Best trip I've ever taken.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We came to Secrets for a wedding at the end of may for five days. At first I was floored at the price as I'm a frugal person and couldn't fathom spending so much on a resort. Boy oh boy was I WRONG. This resort raised the bar and showed me you truly get what you pay for. I had the BEST time of my life. I am still a little sad to be home and its bee 2 weeks :-/. Everything from beginning to end was perfection. I've never been more relaxed and at ease in my life. I truly think that everyone should experience this resort and the island of Jamaica at least once in their life. I LOVED Godfrey (Best Lemondrop martini!)(Piano Bar), Rayon (server at Portofino) (as he says, "like the material" LOL), Oscar (Room Service) and PARTY Leo at the pool! it sucks to be back home but one thing I will always have are my memories from this glorious paradise. How can I forget. THE JERK CHICKEN!!!!!! Omg. Best chicken of your life. Was always more of an oxtail fan. This place changed that! I'm currently in school so this was a treat for me. I can't wait until I can return and come for more days. Anyone on the fence. There's really nothing to think about. Anyone who gives this place anything less than 5 stars has something wrong with them and is just miserable with life and NOTHING short of Jesus appearing would make them happy and crack a smile LOL

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,335)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Hello there my Fellow TripAdvisor loves!
Let me first say that this was the best vacation that i have ever experienced in my life. Let me tell you I have never felt so special and been treated so well by a group of staff in my life. First off lets talk about the staff....
Renae who checked us in quickly and picked the most amazing rooms with the best views for me and my girls, you were amazing with us and our requests and our needs. You made us feel like VIP's from the start and I cannot thank you enough.

Omar, you were the sweetest most charming fellow that we ran into on the resort. Thank you so much for the spa certificates and the lovely introduction we had with you. You are truly special.

Our AMAZING BUTLERS_ Petrona, Dalton, and Michael you all are dream staff and I can truly say that I love you all. I truly feel that thru you all I had some of the best memories and experiences because of your efforts for me and my groupl and all of the work that you all put in for my birthday. Just incredible. Such genuine and kind people made our stay amazing.

Kassandra and Nicola our wonderful Housekeepers. The way you kept our room beautiful and clean was so nice. And the work that you all put into my Birthday party and the decorating of my suite was absolutely wonderful and i cannot thank you enough.

Now to the resort....
A group of 6 girls on a resort can be hit or miss, but my friends and I had a blast. From the start we were greated at the doors with champagne and appetizers. Friendly faces and warm spirits were what welcomed us and greeted us at Secrets Wild Orchid. Renae checked us in and found us the most amazing rooms with fabulous views as she promised when we had questions about our room locations.
The rooms were spacious and clean and up to date. The beds were oh so comfortable.and the room stays nice and cool as long as the doors are closed. The service we recieved was just incredible. The food was wonderful and every night was something delicious. Lobster night and all american grill nite were a couple of our favorites at the World Cafe.
Italian at Porvino was fantastic and very tasty. All of the bars were great including the Barefoot grille, The Barracuda Swing bar, and the Coco Cafe were great. I was totally impressed.
Also let me say, the liquor was always top shelf and when you ask for stronger or more you definitely always get it. No questions asked. The service was impeccable and I have absolutely no complaints. Our butlers and all of the staff were so warm and kind to our needs and they fulfilled our dreams of a great vacation beyond our expections. We were treated like royalty and it made my birthday PERFECT!
The beach was clean with beautiful water and dozens of cute little fish and crab and the occasional small friendly little sting ray. Although it was rocky in some areas of the beach and water, the water was so nice and cool and refreshing.
One of the sweetest parts is that this place is wonderful in the aspect of being adults only, and also with that there is level of comfort and relaxation that just isn't found at family style resorts. Everyone was in a great mood and the place is just alive with color and beautiful trees and plants.
The parrots were a particular favorite with my group as were all animal lovers and enjoyed talking to the parrots, The beautiful peacocks were amazing and always fanned out in the early morning for mating.
The hit with my group was also the absolutely fabulous SPA, wonderful hydrotherapy circuits, and top of the line massage treatments and wraps. We were in HEAVEN. Afterward you are greeted with cool cucumbers and a cool towel after you leave the sauna. Then we were lead into the relaxation area to lounge with a glass of champagne, fresh fruit infused water, or coffee and tea. I just love this place and people . Such an amazing experience.
On the night of my birthday they made sure the Hibachi grill was all set for me and my party and they also made sure that my local (Jamaican) friends were able to come as well. I felt so loved and so special and I just can't thank you all enough. I literally cried when we left the resort, and will be back in November with my mom bc this place should NEVER remain a SECRET.
Thanks you and love you all!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We're just back from 10 nights of pure honeymoon bliss. We stayed at the preferred club in a swim-out and it was worth every extra penny. The resort is 4.5/5 for quality; but I'm basing this more on materials than visuals (visually the place is fantastic) but some of the materials used aren't holding up for such a young resort (cracked floor tiles, shower leaking into water closet, browning stainless steel in the bathrooms, etc), nothing serious and these things don't detract from the stay.

The swim-out, oh my lord, what a great option. After a hot day, sitting in the cool water with a drink (Bob Marley is a good one) is a great way to chill out. And being able to just walk up onto our patio when it starts to rain, giggling at those who didn't pay attention to the clouds is a good bit of fun.

All the pools on site are fantastic, the main pools at Wild Orchid and St. James are party-pools, great music pumping all day long. The preferred pools are quiet and relaxing where you can hear the lapping of the ocean waves.

Cleanliness is 4/5. Things get missed, it's understandable. There was mildew behind the bathroom sinks, the pools need to be skimmed more often, mirrors in the restaurants should be polish-clean; but they're not, the painters drip paint all over the place, including into the pools, etc, etc. Again, minor things; but the truth is in the details. (Side note - my wife didn't notice any of this, I've just got an every for details).

The staff, easily 4.5/5. Most of these folks are fantastic, over the top friendly, every one of my thank yous were confirmed with "my pleasure" even if it was a staff member stepping aside to let me pass by. We brought 100 x USD $1 to use for tips and we used almost every one of them. I can only think of 4 or 5 times we didn't tip (those people didn't try to please us) and only 1 time a server at El Patio just didn't deserve a tip, in fact someone in our service zone got up and left due to the service; but I think this was an extreme case. Most of the staff seem genuine in their attitudes and the majority of them sing; if you're unhappy, you don't sing. And my god, most of them have BEAUTIFUL singing voices, especially the porter Jeffery at Preferred Wild Orchid, the man can belt it out.

The folks working the jerk chicken, fresh fruit & coconut carts were great, as was their product. The non-stop pool-side drink servers were fantastic, always cheery and having a laugh with the patrons. The bar staff were professional, always smiled and made GREAT drinks!

The hotel from desk & concierge staff were always "on". very professional, very helpful, always got results.

The room service crowd didn't let us down.

The dreamer catamaran staff were over-the-top great, what a blast we had during our 3 hours with them.

If you visit secrets, make sure you hire Amstar to take you to the hotel and back to the Air Port, Warren is a great guy to start your trip in Jamaica, he points out a dozen or more places en route and he's an excellent driver/great personality.

The selection, quality and supply of food is astonishing, pretty much anything you want is there in some form or other. From simple burgers/hot dogs/chips/nachos at barefoot grill between wild orchid & st james in the main beach path, to the buffet of endless food to the specialty restaurants that provide flavors and dishes of all kinds. The cafe is really good and there is a soft-serve ice-cream machine by the games room which is self serve.

The evening entertainment could use some beefing up. The band plays pretty much every night and a movie is shown; but the circus & musicals are only "great" if you're intoxicated; but don't get me wrong, it's still a good way to spend an hour with loves ones. The beach party was ok, little too loud for us. We didn't make it to the romantic bonfire; but I'm sure it was good.

All day long the entertainment is really good. Lots of games, classes (cooking, speaking, yoga, etc).

The gym is good, enough equipment for the use it gets. Tennis/basketball/beach volleyball/horse shoes/ beach badminton/pool-side shuffleboard/some kind of beach bowling (it's a British game I believe)/dart board/pool tables/table tennis/giant chess and the casino.

The spa is ok, it's beautiful; but the massage was a joke, though the body scrub was nice. Maybe if I bought the $180, 80 minute deep tissue massage I would speak differently.

The maid service twice a day is great and the ladies do a swell job. Same for the mini-bar staff and the dish collection staff (no more dirty dishes in the hall way, the resort has built in dish cupboards accessible from in the room and hallway. There is also a privacy light which you switch on in the room and the red light in the hallway signal the staff to keep walking!

We will go back, maybe for our 1-year anniversary. Overall, it was a great stay. You didn't have to do a tap for yourself except get up and protect your skin.

I would consider this a high-end resort. You can definitely go all inclusive cheaper; but not like this, this is special, this is better then home!!

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I were big fans of Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana, and thought we never needed to visit another resort. But when we waited too long to book our vacation this year, all of the direct flights sold out. We simply couldn't justify wasting precious vacation time by traveling over 12 hours each way. So I shopped around for another resort and found a good deal for Wild Orchid Montego Bay. Our plan was to "make the best of it" this year, and return to Punta Cana next time. Wild Orchid had another plan. Here's how they won us over:

EVEN BEFORE WE LEFT HOME: I emailed a little with the concierge staff prior to our trip, and I had a good feeling about the rapid responses I received and the friendly overall tone of the emails. By the time we traveled, I already felt welcomed and taken care of.

OFF TO A GREAT START: I wish I could recall the name of the woman who checked us in. She was friendly, fun and very accommodating. She knew all about the email chats I'd had with the concierge team, and if she had simply met our requests for a king sized bed and a quiet room, that would have been wonderful enough. But we were blown away when we were given everything and so much more - more than we would have dreamed to ask for. This generosity was a recurring theme at WIld Orchid. During our stay we frequently felt we were being given far more than we'd requested.

SERVICE: The first person we encountered at the resort was the fantastic bellman, Daemon. He was professional, but at the same time friendly and warm. This casually-excellent vibe is present throughout the resort. The standard for service is very high, but it never feels too stiff or formal. There's plenty of laughter, fist-bumping and high-fiving alongside the ubiquitous courtesy and politeness. "Welcome Home" has a special meaning when you are actually made to feel at home, and we were.

OUR ROOM: #2551 on the fifth floor. It had a beautiful view of the bay from the balcony, but I found I could also enjoy it while laying in bed. Seriously. I could look at the ocean while lying in bed - a bed that was huge and insanely comfortable. Great pillows and bedding; soft - but not saggy - mattress. Don't miss the body pillow in the closet. We didn't notice it until our last day. (A tip about the bathroom situation: there's little privacy. We managed fine by taking turns retiring to the balcony. But also, there are very clean and little-used bathrooms scattered throughout the resort. The restroom hidden just to the right of the elevators in the lobby helped us out more than once.)
(A tip about the temperature control. The AC goes off when you leave the room, and when you are asleep. You need to reset it to 20C each time this happens, and sometimes readjust the fan to high. I just got in the habit of checking the thermostat regularly. At night, if you wake up to use the bathroom, make sure you pass in front of the motion detector. That turns the AC back on.)

HOUSEKEEPING: I wouldn't have thought that the housekeeping staff could figure so large in a vacation experience, but they did. Kesha and Vanesha took extra-special care of us. Not only did they clean our room spotlessly every day, but they also went out of their way to fill every request we made. Even when it meant they had to return later to do so. I loved that we knew their names, and were able to communicate by notes when we didn't see them. They left us a farewell note that is my favorite souvenir from the trip. We also loved the nightly turndown service. One night, we were treated to an aromatherapy bath, that Christina prepared for us, complete with rose petals, candles, and romantic lighting. It was a true highpoint, even for my boyfriend, who wasn't so into the whole idea of an aromatherapy bath at first.

MINIBAR: Again, who would have thought this would matter so much? Ruth, our minibar attendant, was ridiculously great. She filled every request we made, and in no time customized our minibar to our preferences as though she knew everything about us. It was fun to communicate with her by little notes; and when we'd run into her in the hallway, she'd remember who we were and what room we were in. She's a superstar!

BEACH: I've read some complaints about the beach here, but we absolutely loved it. There is indeed a little rockiness a few feet from shore, so if you have very sensitive feet, water shoes might help. Otherwise, just walk slowly through this part, it's really not bad. You can see the bottom perfectly, so that helps you navigate. Once you're past that small strip of stones, the bottom is soft and sandy. Because there are very few commercial activities going on in the bay, the swimming is relaxing and quiet. We spent far more time in the water than we usually do. There are no other resorts in view, so the beach feels very safe and private.

BEVERAGE SERVICE: Wow. I've never had such attentive service on a beach. Love to Avion and Fun-Leo, who never liked to see our glasses empty. I've read some negative things here about the drink service so I want to say this: Yep. Sometimes after you order, it takes a little while for the drink to arrive. You know why? Because you're on a beach. And you're not alone on that beach. Plus it's 90 degrees and you shouldn't expect your server to run through the sand with his/her tray. Plan accordingly.

DINING:
Breakfast. The buffet was great in both quality and variety. Omelets to order. Fresh tropical fruit. Pancakes/ Waffles/ French Toast (if you hang back and wait to take whatever is coming fresh off the griddle, you will be in for a special treat.) Mimosas for everyone! Cereal, pastries, bagels, smoked fish... Don't skip the smoothies that sit in pitchers near the omelet station. I didn't try them until the end of our stay, much to my regret.

Lunch. Jerk chicken on the beach along with tropical fruit, cut to order. Pair it with a pina colada made with dark rum, and you've got edible nirvana. I had that almost every day. Once, we waited too long and the chicken ran out, so we had burgers and homemade potato chips from the Barefoot Grill. It was fun, and good. But it wasn't jerk chicken. Damn... I really miss jerk chicken.

Dinner. There were 3 special buffet nights while we were there, otherwise the food at dinner is all ala carte restaurant dining. I was worried about this because my boyfriend isn't a very adventurous eater. We usually make out best with a buffet. But we didn't have a problem here at all. We went to the French restaurant twice. The first time it was good, the second time it was GREAT. We both loved the italian restaurant - I had the lasagna and my boyfriend had chicken parmesan. (The Mexican restaurant was not so hot for either of us, if I'm being honest. It wasn't terrible. Just blah.)

EXTRA-CURRICULAR STUFF:
There's a coffee bar with great - and I means GREAT - coffee and coffee drinks, particularly when Garfield is behind the bar.

There's a self serve soft ice-cream machine near the coffee bar! With cones!

There are ping-pong and pool tables!

There are plantain chips at the piano bar!

There are barrels stocked with chilled water bottles all along the beach!

Cool wet towels at the fitness center!

Extras seem to be the norm at this resort. Our expectations were exceeded at every turn. I thought we would miss Royal Beach, but instead I think they are going to have to miss us for a while... We are already planning our return trip to Wild Orchid..

Finally, If you read reviews obsessively before your trip, like I do, you might be confused by the extremes of good and bad reviews here. What I want to say about that is this: Was our vacation perfect, wonderful, magical and unforgettable? Absolutely. And if I were looking for flaws, could I have found some? Absolutely. This is not the kingdom of heaven, people, it's a vacation resort, staffed by humans... humans who have lives, and who occasionally make mistakes, and who sometimes forget things. You know who you are... If life seems to perpetually disappoint you, and you generally find much to criticize in the world around you, don't expect miracles here. But if you are used to approaching life with appreciation for the people and circumstances that make your life sweeter, then by all means, expect greatness. You'll surely find it here.

Room Tip: Upper floors for better views. Away from the pool area for peace and quiet!
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay for 2 weeks in April, 2013 and IT WAS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC IN EVERY WAY, service, food, rooms, activities, all of it was wonderful. Carissa, our host, is a wonderful gal to deal with and Damian, our bell boy, rocked it, he was just fantastic! The resort really caters to your happiness, without being too overbearing. Customer Service is definitely #1. We would definitely go back!!! Everything is so clean, organized, and beautiful resort, huge, not crowded.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room directly facing the ocean, it was perfect. I called ahead to plan for an Annive...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you and glad we were able to provide you with an ‘awesome’ stay.

As a team, we endeavor to ensure that all our guests are offered great service in the most impressive atmosphere. It gives us great satisfaction to know that everything was fantastic and that you enjoyed the service, food, accommodations and activities provided.

Your recognition of Carissa and Damian is also very well appreciated and we will definitely pass this on to Human Resources Department for them to be duly recognized. We certainly appreciate you posting your review to Trip Advisor and thank you once more for making Secrets Resorts your vacation destination of choice.

Best regards,
Christina Smith
E-Concierge Assistant
Morris Plains, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Let me start by saying this is my first time out of the U.S. and as such, my first all inclusive resort. I traveled with my wonderful girlfriend as a surprise vacation. So how was it? AMAZING! First of all, Secrets is an amazing company and they are doing something wonderful here in Montego Bay. I heard they are opening a new resort outside of the city and I hope I can stay at that resort when it opens! The property is gorgeous and perfectly maintained. All the pools are pristine, the beaches are combed, and the restaurants are beautiful. The staff at Secrets were always greeting you with a smile and a greeting. If you ever needed anything, anywhere you were in the resort, there was someone VERY willing to help. Some names I'd like to mention specifically were our server from Portofino, Travis, the bartender at the Piano Bar, Michael, the bartender at one of the poolbars, Cordiff, and the server at the Bordeux, Dwayne. They all gave extremely professional and perfect service, along with great personalities! Half of our enjoyment of the trip came from the great people of Jamaica! I can't emphasize it enough! My girldriend mentioned how mellow I seemed on the whole trip. Its because Jamaica is so beautiful, warm and with nothing to worry about on the resort, I was truly at ease. I could go on and on about Secrets, Jamaica, and its people, but I'd rather you go experience it yourself! Two complaints I had about Secrets though...the club, Desires I think it was, smelled HORRIBLE. It was very off putting. And I was approached by several staff members, in a very friendly and subtle manner, asking if I needed drugs. I don't use drugs and while I appreciate that some people go to Jamaica for that specific reason, it made me feel uncomfortable. I had read that this happens in Jamaica, so I expected it to happen. But I still didn't like it. But those two things didn't ruin my trip! Love Jamaica and WILL be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for your kind review and we are happy to know that we were able to make your stay an ‘amazing’ one. As a team we do our very best to provide all our guests with a great friendly atmosphere and exceptional service.

It is great in knowing that you found the different areas of our resort to be ‘gorgeous, well maintained, pristine, combed, and beautiful. Consistently good customer service is of the utmost importance to us and it is certainly thrilling to hear that our staff always greeted you with smiles and very willing to assist.

Your mention of a few of our staff members is indeed invaluable and this recognition will certainly be passed on to the relevant department for them to be duly recognized. We are indeed cheerful knowing that they were all professional and provided ‘perfect service’.

It was our extreme pleasure being of service to you and it is happy to know that you had a relaxing vacation. Feedback from our guests is welcomed as it provides us with an insight as to our guest’s experience. We thank you once again for highlighting deficiencies and certainly your time and the expression of your vacation stay – ‘paradise’. This allows us an opportunity to review our current processes and implement the changes required to ensure that we are consistently delivering the best possible service to our guests in all areas of our operations.

We are happy you had a wonderful stay with us and we can’t wait for you to return Home. We look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,
Christina Smith
E-concierge Assistant
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I were at Secrets Wild Orchid May 19-May 26, 2013. The resort was fabulous!!!! Everything looked as good or better than the pictures on their Facebook page and website.

The food was excellent!!! We tried all of the restaurants except for the French restaurant. My favorite was the Blue Mountain Jamaican restaurant. But, some nights the World Cafe has a buffet and you can not order off of the Mexican or Jamaican restaurant menus. So, be sure to check the schedule the housekeeping staff leaves for you every day. We never had a problem being seated at any of the restaurants. But, be sure to make your reservation for the Japanese Hibachi tables - those fill up fast.

The service was excellent (especially the bartender/server, Leo). The housekeeping staff was excellent and did a great job every day.

We LOVED the beach and the ocean. There were a lot of seating options on the beach and it was so nice to not have to worry about rushing outside to make sure you had a chair.

My only suggestion would be more “reggae” type music and access to Wi-Fi….never could get the Wi-Fi to work.

We will definitely go back to Jamaica and I am certain we will stay at Secrets Wild Orchid again.

Room Tip: Request rooms that are 3rd floor or above for better view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!