“First time in Jamaica; First time at a Secrets” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Baltimore
“First time in Jamaica; First time at a Secrets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Let me first say that we were booked at the Secrets St James. We arrived late due to airport delays, so when we got to the St James and used our UVC upgrade, we were taken over to the sister resort of Wild Orchid. This resort is fabulous! It was our first time at a Secrets; our first time at an adults-only resort. The grounds are stunning, right down to the resident peacocks who wondered the grounds. Our house-keeper was Arla. She took great care of us, made us feel at home. We accidently left our safe open one morning and she stayed and kept watch until she could let us know, so we could lock it up. This is integrity at its highest! We applaud Arla and the Secret's staff, who called while I was in the room to confirm everything was good to go.
ROOM - we were put in to a main floor suite that opened up to the main Wild Orchid pool. We only had to walk a few feet out from our patio each morning to get to the pool.The room itself was great. I enjoyed the fact that they have several NY TV channels, plus ESPN. I know, we're on vacation, but its still a nice touch. The swim-up bar right outside of our room was the Sugar Reef, where Harry, the best bartender at Secrets!, kept us happy with Mango Tango's the whole week. I found out that the staff rotates around, but if you get a pool-side server named Kedeshia (hopefully I spelled that right) you will never have to leave your chair for a drink and will never go thirsty. Service at Secrets is top priority.
FOOD - DON"T pass up on the jerk chicken cart! This stuff is awesome! The cart goes up and down the main sidewalk between the pools and the beach, from one end of the Wild Orchid side to the other end of the St James side from about noon until 2-3. We tried all of the restaurants, couldn't fault any of them. Our favorite meal was at the French place... the beef tournadoes were melt-in-your-mouth. I won't go into great detail, since food is so subjective, but will give one piece of advice. If you're the type who wants to "get in and get out" for a meal, you may find the service a tad slow, as I'd seen in some reviews prior to going. For me the service was spot on. We go on vacation to relax and enjoy - the servers do everything in their power to make sure you have a fantastic meal. All of the servers we had were great... Donna, at El Patio, was wonderful.
Entertainment- The entertainment staff here is really great. I wish I could remember all of their names, but I'm sorry to say the names aren't coming to my mind while I write this review. Especially sad as the young man with a french sounding name starting with "M" was absolutely the best I've seen at the 3 resorts I've been too. He kept us laughing all the time - We even talked him into jumping into the pool fully clothed one afternoon. Someone got it on camera, hopefully its hit FB by now =) We didn't stay up for a lot of the night-time entertainment as the sun and the alcohol had us in bed early. But, we did hear the steel band one evening. They put on a great show.
TIPS for your trip - For some reason I only booked our shared transfer ride one-way from the airport. Jaital transfer company is very good and prompt. Book both ways when you book, or book your return trip as soon as you've checked into the resort or you'll pay a hefty rate for a taxi back to the airport. FYI - for your return, make sure you allow a good 3 hours before your departure time. We only allowed a tad over 2 hours and had very little time to shop at duty-free.
TIPS in general - the cosmos at the piano bar between the restaurants are AWESOME! and the guys there who play the piano, and one sings too, are a real treat. This bar does all types of martinis as their specialty. Its a nice change from the frozen drinks we enjoyed at the pool. Get there early, 6ish, to get a spot at the bar. You can get a beeper if you have to wait for dinner. Its well worth the wait.
Lastly, we are Unlimited Vacation Club members - we booked a regular suite and used our membership to "upgrade" our room and to get the free wi-fi. When we looked at the rates for wi-fi we realized that alone saved us $90US. Its a really nice perk. Could we have lived without it? sure! But, it was nice to have. Also, a nice shout-out to Navarro at the Preferred Club - he was there to help me anytime I had questions. Colleeta, over at St James was our UVC concierge. She reminded us we were there to be pampered. And boy did they do that!! This was our first time booking through UVC and let me tell you it was everything we were told about during our membership sign-up. We couldn't be happier with our membership. We were thrilled by all of the employees at this resort, who, welcomed us home! Thank you all! We loved Secrets Wild Orchid- you all do a fantastic job!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was a first timer to Jamaica and all inclusive trips. My group was celebrating our 40th birthdays. I must tell you this property and the staff are simply amazing. Upon arrival, you are treated like royalty. Champagne, a cool towel, and some of the sweetest smiles in the world greet you. You are escorted to your room and all your ammenties are pointed out. The rooms are extremely comfortable and include a mini bar, which is restocked daily. You can even make special requests for items you prefer. The giant jacuzzi tub is a plus as well as the wonderful rain shower head. If you book the ocean view room, your balcony views will NOT disappoint. I was completely blown away by all of the food options at this resort. I can honestly say I never had a meal that was not absolutely yummy! Never had a problem finding beach chairs or pool loungers for my group. Once you get comfy in your chair, don't bother getting up for a drink. The servers are always ready to bring you a frozen concoction or an ice cold beer. I literally never had to move. The evenings are filled with music, food, and fun. If you forget to bring something with you, never fear. It can be found at any of the shops located on the property. The spa services are top notch too! Do yourself a huge favor and visit this resort!!! If you see Mr. Billy Love or Mr. Alex Jeremy upon arrival, tell them the group of crazy Tennessee girls sent you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

It is great to know that we exceeded your expectations and that you were satisfied with many different areas of the resort. We do take much delight in ensuring our guests receive top luxury service and we are happy to know you enjoyed the variety of amenities offered to you and your group.
It was our pleasure having you here at the resort and we are hoping you all return soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I had the most enjoyable, relaxing vacation I have ever had at Secrets Wild Orchid. The resort yielded the utmost in luxury. Everything from suites, the food, the grounds, to the employees was perfect. Garfield Gunning (Bellboy) was my favorite employee on the resort. He was super friendly and always made me feel comfortable.

I have and will continue to recommend this resort to anyone looking for a luxurious vacation. It is AWESOME!!!

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your kind words. It does please us much that we were able to provide you with the right environment for you to have “the most enjoyable, relaxing vacation ever”. Guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and much pride is taken to ensure that we offer the kind of luxurious service that is expected of us.

Looking forward to creating more happy memories for you!

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had our annual company trip at this resort and it was amazing. We've been to several other countries and stayed at resorts - mostly Riu - and our company's consensus was that Secrets was the best so far. The grounds were beautiful, the food was diverse and delicious, and the staff was fantastic! On several occassions, we found different staff members singing - from the waiters and waitresses, to the maid service, to the concierges, and bellboys. Either Secrets goes out of their way to hire the happiest employees they can find or they pay them well enough to make them happy. Regardless, their happiness was contagious! We had an awesome time!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

We are glad you had an awesome time here with us and that this has been the best stay for your group so far.
Here at our resort, we do have many talented individuals that are a part of our team who enjoy entertaining our guests on a regular basis from singing to dancing, and putting a big smile on faces.
Hope you choose Secrets Wild Orchid again for your next annual company trip.

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The resort is very nice, with beautiful views of the beach and water. The food was very good, although it was impossible to find a cup of coffee before 7AM. The staff was very helpful. This is the perfect place to stay if you want to do nothing but lie on a raft in a pool, have a swim up bar in the pool, and drink and eat. There are Kayaks available for use and the water is very clear so the kayaks are fun. If you want to use the internet, that costs $15.00 per day, which seems to be an unnecessary addition when rooms are $550. per night with a 4 night minimum. Unless you have lots more money, don't plan on leaving the resort. The surrounding area of town is depressingly poor.

Room Tip: Rooms with beach views are nice because they have a beautiful view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Glad to know you enjoyed our resort recently. It is quite unusual though that you were unable to get coffee before 7am as there is 24 hour room service available as well as in-suite coffee making facility. Your comment on this and our Wi-Fi service is duly noted and will be addressed by the relevant department heads. With regards to Wi-Fi service though, there are plans currently under weigh which will bring about a total transformation to this service. I do hope that you will return for future visits and experience the enhancements that are being implemented.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The question is where to begin? Describing Secrets Wild Orchid is almost impossible. It is serene and relaxing while at the same time being exciting and exuberating. If you feel like just kicking back and enjoying a beautiful, lush garden atmosphere surrounded by a white sand beach and crystal blue ocean, Secrets Wild Orchid is for you. If you’re looking for entertainment, music by the pool, volleyball on the beach and various activities each day, Secrets Wild Orchid is for you!

Upon arrival, guests are greeted by the bellmen with warm smiles and the greeting “Welcome Home”. These gentlemen escort you to the lobby of your building, while providing a guided tour along the way. At reception, a glass of champagne, chocolate chip cookies, fruit and a cool towel are presented to each guest as they wait to be registered. Once completed, your bellman escorts you to your suite, bringing your bags in and pointing out the views of Montego Bay. (Those we have met on our visits include Billy, Jeffrey & Joseph…thank you, guys!)

The lovely front desk ladies of the SWO/Preferred Club take good care of you throughout your stay, as does all the staff. If you have the pleasure of staying in that building, you can rely on Shonieka, Lisa, Sharol and Christine to make you experience a pleasant one. The very congenial, helpful and caring Preferred Club Manager, Isabel, makes herself available and visible to all guests. In addition to being a professional, she is a delightful person. Last, but certainly not least is Caulette, the Assistant Rooms Division Manager. Caulette is a very gracious, warm and reliable lady, in the true sense of that word. She is genuinely concerned that each and every guest is content and comfortable in their surroundings. Bernadette who operates the Signature Shop in the promenade is a sweetheart. Stop by and see the beautiful dresses, cover-ups, shirts and souvenirs that she has in stock. Don’t bother with last minute shopping at the airport, these shops have it all. (Love you, ladies!)

Let’s move on to the spacious accommodations. The mattresses and pillows are incredible. The suites are clean, comfortable and well stocked. A tip…don’t pack a hair dryer…the one in the room is awesome! The views of the ocean are spectacular as are the lovely views overlooking what I call ‘restaurant row’. Be sure to catch the sunrises and sunsets from your balcony, they are gorgeous. Thank you to Natalie for keeping our room sparkling clean during our last trip! I’m fussy about cleanliness/neatness, but no worries at Secrets Wild Orchid!

The restaurants are very good. The service is top notch, the food is high quality and the cocktails are plentiful! The house wines are about average, but you have the choice to order wines from the wine list. The restaurants along the ocean path, Oceana (ask for Margret!) and Seaside, are open air venues, which I personally prefer for lunch. However, I’ve had dinner at both and enjoyed the meals very much. I will say my favorites are Bordeaux (French) and Portofino (Italian). However, I also enjoy Himitsu, Blue Mountain, and El Patio which offer Pan-Asian fusion, homemade Jamaican cuisine and Mexican. The World Café breakfast and lunch buffets are unbelievable; more food than you can imagine! Have Stacy make you a Ceasar salad table-side at lunch. She does a great job with her fresh lettuce! This past visit there was also Surf & Turf night (excellent) and Barbeque night (heard that was also very good) at the World Café.
I also have to mention Coco Café which serves fantastic coffees (with or without alcohol), pastries, tea sandwiches and the best melon flavored water! I wish they had the melon water at the bars – it’s really tasty with vodka or light rum. Another spot to stop by for a quick bite is Barefoot Grille, which offers several different burgers, hot dogs, meat pies and homemade potato chips. And, last but not least, the jerk chicken cart that roams the property around the lunch hour…you’ve got to try it! Okay, one more…room service is very good. I love the Cobb Salad, pasta & burgers and the omelets and eggs at breakfast are eye-opening!

Now for my “shout outs” to the remaining staff I consider VIPs at SWO. Let’s begin with Sheldon, who takes care of the pools and beaches like they were his own property. This gentle man (not a typo) has a smile and demeanor that never wavers. From day to day, he greets his guests with a remarkable enthusiasm. I want to send a big thank you to Sheradine, who picks up after the guests at the pool and makes sure the towels are plentiful! And, of course, the ever vibrant beach servers – Kerry Ann, Alicia, Chaviena, Leo and Simone have to be mentioned (or else!). They are five of the many hard working, personable and attentive staff that deliver your cocktails to the beach and pool side. Also, look for Cassie, Genius, bon jovi and Inch from the Entertainment Team. They certainly are entertaining! (Big hugs to all of you!)

I’m also partial to a few bartenders. Seek out Godfrey for a good drink and some of his brain teasers. Marlando at Seaside Grille is also a great bartender and a fun guy to be around. Our two young ladies at the PC lounge, Cherrise and Jennelle, are sweet, helpful and a delight to spend time with while enjoying cocktails and appetizers.

A special thank you must be said to Mr. Emlio Huhn, the General Manager of Secrets Wild Orchid and Secrets St. James. It’s obvious from the marvelous staff he employs that his knowledge and expertise in the industry is extraordinary.

Now the question is…where to end? I could go on for pages, but do yourself a favor and check out their website, http://www.secretsresorts.com/wild-orchid-montego-bay as well as their facebook page. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
texasgirl-98
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Any time we go to an all inclusive, I try to write an extensive review and cover as much as possible in order to be informative. Hope this helps someone make a decision!

We opted for the bus from the airport to the resort. We made sure to call the number provided by our travel agency on our agenda 24 hours prior to departure in order to get details on what to do to catch the bus. They will let you know what counter to go to once you arrive in Montego Bay.
We had reservations in the “Preferred” section of Wild Orchid. There seemed to be some confusion when we got off the bus because everyone is dropped off at the main entrance, which creates somewhat of a bottleneck. After a couple of minutes someone called out for all the Preferred guests to follow him. We went back outside and down a walkway to the left of the main entrance. The building we then entered said “Preferred” on the side, so it was very clear. Once inside, we had to wait for our turn to check in. It was not the speediest process. Of course, they try to get you to sign up from their little tour/sales pitch, but we didn’t. It isn’t a high pressure sales situation so it was easy to avoid.

Our room wasn’t ready, so we had lunch at the World Café which is the only buffet option for lunch. Lunch is pretty much the same everyday. I liked the pasta bar and mixed the red and white sauces, per the suggestion of the cook. World Café is the ONLY place to get breakfast other than room service. The French Toast was great and we really enjoyed the omelet station. The smoothies where also very good each day.

More about the PREFERRED PERKS… All day snacks are available in the lobby (cheese, tiny sandwiches, desserts, etc.), and you can mix our own drinks. Juice and water are also always available. I’d recommend getting a cup of ice to take with you to the beach so your water stays cool! The Preferred side at Wild Orchid was very quiet, which is exactly what we wanted. There isn’t a bar in that section (but there is one not far away) so you don’t have people constantly coming and going. They have drink servers who come by starting at around 10am or so to get you what you need to drink. (Leo was our favorite!) All the restaurants are closest to the Preferred area at Wild Orchid. It’s a long way from St James to any of the main restaurants. The bath amenities smelled great! I don’t know what “upgraded bath ameneties” means since I never saw the regular ones. They did have a mending kit, toothbrush, shave cream, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, lotion, and sunscreen. Although the purchase of the room comes with wifi, it was VERY tempermental and only ONE person could sign in at a time. The best place to get connected is on the balcony or actually outside by the pool.

Our beach and mountain view was great! We didn’t want the swim out suit and we were glad we didn’t get one. Not much privacy and you don’t get a nice view of the water. Something that isn’t exclusive to Preferred, but was very cool was the room service box. You don’t have to open the door to get your food. They place your order into a door on the outside and you open a door in the room to pick it up! I would have liked to see more snacks in the room. They give you a package of peanut M&Ms and two bags of banana chips (taste like regular salted potato chips) daily.

The BEACH/POOL… As mention above it was so nice and quiet! The party pool area with at the regular Wild Orchid pool. I was asked once if we were preferred, but other than that no one seemed to care. It is MUCH less crowded in the preferred area. The location was great because you get a private beach and pool. I’d recommend bringing your own snorkel and mask. We saw starfish, barracuda, sea horses, a giant sand dollar, and other sea life within the roped area. You can swim our past the rope and they don’t care. There is a reef where they take people to snorkel not that far away. There are barrels of cold, bottled water on the beach every so often. They also offer virgin and regular drinks at the bar. Many people just ordered virgin drinks because they enjoyed them so much. There were always plenty of towels. I don’t know if there is a limit in the regular area, but not in preferred. And the towels are remarkably soft. You don’t need to mark a spot early in the morning. There are plenty of empty chairs throughout the day. The weather was great in early April. Cool-ish mornings (still can wear shorts), but then it gets a little cloudy in the afternoon to help take the edge off the heat! Perfect!

A little about the RESTAURANTS:
- Portofino: We had to wait about an hour on our first night because it was raining and they couldn’t utilize their outdoor seating. We didn’t have to wait again at any restaurant. Food was good here. Best item: Tomato soup
- Bordeaux: Good food with several options we wanted, so we went back a second time. Best item: Fondue
- World Café: Prime Rib night was okay. Nothing spectacular.
- Oceana: Outdoor atmosphere was very nice. Food was good. It’s a great option for jerk wraps at lunch. NOT to be confused with the jerk chicken cart guy. His chicken is really good and make sure to you get the sauce! The jerk cart also seems to be around at dinner too kind of outside the World Café.
- Himitsu: You must make a reservation if you want to sit at the teppanyaki area, but not the regular dining room. We made a reservation and it was very good. Make reservations early.
- Blue Mountain and El Patio “close” when there is a special night (Steak and Lobster, Prime Rib, etc.) at World Café, so plan accordingly.

THINGS WE LIKED (not previously mentioned):
- The magazine exchange by the great coffee bar in the shopping village made it easy to leave our old magazines and get new ones. Great idea!
- We were able to buy snorkels at one of the gift shops for $33 a piece. The thought of renting them wasn’t appealing.

THINGS WE DIDN'T LIKE:
- The spa didn’t offer pregnancy massage options and they aren’t licensed to do so. My husband said his massage was just okay, but it was still pretty pricey. He also mentioned that the spa amenities weren’t spectacular. The options we have seen in Mexico were much better.
- Too many conventions and/or meetings! It really detracted from the “couples” atmosphere to have people constantly walking around in polo shirts holding portfolios. They were also generally loud and traveled in large groups. Our first full day, these people seemed to over run the resort.

OVERALL REVIEW:
- Preferred IS definitely worth it if you are looking of a quiet spot with a nice view.
- Proximity to the airport was very convenient. About 20 minutes away.
- Food was pretty good. Not great, but not bad. Make a reservation at Himitsu to enjoy the teppanyaki show!
- Our favorite experience was just relaxing quietly on the beach!
- I'd definitely go back to Jamaica, and I was pleased with this resort, but I might be willing to try somewhere new.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!