“Staff, Food, Entertainment, Hospitality, and the Jamaican people were extraordinary!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Millersburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Amazing, wonderful, fun-filled incredible week.
KiKi, Happyfeet, Sereen, and Kevin exceeds expectation in customer service. They should teach all staff how to engage travelers. They were exceptional staff members.
Hotels were cleaned and linens and necessities refreshed twice a day if needed.
Food amazing and plentiful. Everyone should visit the Himitsu and enjoy the chef at the first grill. He was funny, entertaining, friendly, and I wish I recalled his name to mention but I do not. However, the food was delicious.
The spa was a wonderful experience and the staff treated all with dignity and grace while performing the massages.
The Secrets staff work hard but always had a smile on their face and were willinging to do anything to ensure you enjoyed paradise. The staff walked the sands and poolside constantly to make sure you had what you wanted.
This was my second trip back to Jamaica and I will definitely return again.
I appreciate the Jamaican people and their hospitality.

Room Tip: Ocean view fabulous but if you do not like the poolside activities and music you may want to request...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,709)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Pros: Just returned from a week at Wild Orchid. Property is beautiful and well-kept. People and staff friendly. The rooms are awesome, spacious and clean. The best thing I did was to purchase the Preferred Club section because it had it's own pools and part of the beach that was quiet and restful, to read and swim. I could always walk over to the loud and fun main pool, but there were hardly ever chairs available after 9 a.m. there. Loved the top shelf touches such as cold towels brought around beachside and top shelf spirits.

Cons: The food was pretty bad (and often cold) and even snacks in the preferred club lounge. The two best places to eat were Blue Mountain for Jamaican and the Japanese Tapenaki table. Otherwise, food was really poor quality. I was so disappointed :( The jerk chicken cart and the fresh fruit cart during the day was a savior. There were often hour or two waits at the restaurants! Room service menu was poor, but the breakfast was OK. Like others have mentioned, it depends on your frame of reference. I am lucky and fortunate enough to know good food. This is NOT it.
There was an annoying loud screeching bird on the property, but I was in the preferred club, so I did not have to deal with it much. The air conditioning system fluxuates and I had a hard time setting it at one temp.

As a solo traveler, it was not ideal, unless you are outgoing like myself. I met a lot of nice couples, but not many singles. I knew that going in though. The best part of my stay was the piano lounge, where all the staff that work there are friendly and fun. A real professional team. Simone made me feel very welcome and kept an eye out for me the whole time. She was warm and a pleasure to see every day. Rayon was an amazing bartender, as were all of them. Bryan, a manager for entertainment (?) was welcoming and a real leader of all these staff. I also found Sharol at the front desk most helpful and on top of things.

Room Tip: Preferred Club on Wild Orchid side- closest to restaurants and lounge.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our second stay at this resort. We again upgraded to the Preferred Club and it was very much worth it. This upgrade puts you in building 1 which is the most ideal location. Close to restaurants and the piano bar. Most rooms view to the north or west although the sun setting on the ocean is obscured by mountains. The food served in the club lounge, mostly hors d' oeuvres, is the best food we have ever had at any resort. And the beverage selection is wonderful including Miller Lite, Red Stripe Light and all top shelf liquors. Staff was excellent- everyone goes out of their way to make your stay pleasant. We would like to recognize the following for their very personal service...
Christina Smith, E-concierge
Natalie Cunningham, Housekeeping
Steven, Pool and beach maintenenace
Cherisse Allen, Preferred Club
Jheanell Box, Prefered Club
Knashville, Himitsu (our favorite restaurant)
Taneisha Scott, Preferred Club Reception

Room Tip: Building 1, the Preferred Club, is our preference. Ideally located to restaurants and piano bar, ver...
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We have just returned from an 11day at Secrets Wild Orchid. It was lovely. Our room was spacious and well furnished and the bathroom was really nice with a free-standing whirlpool bath, separate walk-in shower room, separate WC and twin wash basins. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the gardens surrounding the hotel are immaculately maintained. We ate at all the different restaurants and enjoyed the food at each one - our favourite was the Bordeaux. A nice touch was the excellent jerk chicken cart which came around each lunchtime, followed by a cart where you could have a fresh coconut cut to drink, followed by a fresh fruit cart. The pools are clean and surrounded by comfortable sunbeds, although there needed to be more sunshades. The beach is raked every evening and is kept clean and tidy. The entertainment staff are all great fun and there are daytime activities for all ages. Unfortunately we had a couple of days of bad weather and the staff put out lots of different board games for people to use. The resident band 'Pace' are very good indeed, and also worthy of a mention is a guy called Stanryik who was guest artiste on Saturday night - don't miss seeing him. The talent show on Friday evening was also very good and not to be missed. We found the house wine to be rather 'rough' and we do feel that that the hotel should consider a better quality wine. Also, on occasions, the service at the bars, particularly the Piano Bar was poor. I would mention that the staff do expect to be tipped which can add a large cost to the holiday. However, despite these few minor negative comments we had a wonderful time and are now considering a stay at a Secrets hotel in Mexico.

malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I returned yesterday from a two week trip to Wild Orchid and having read many glowing reviews, wanted to put ours forward.
I felt that I had done my research well and carefully considered T.A reviews but had completely misunderstood the concept of Wild Orchid which for us, ruined our romantic break.
The room was fine but although it's views we're excellent, it overlooked the pool bar which was frequented by numbers of very loud people who were often drinking all day and getting louder and louder by the minute. We had not expected the constant playing of excessively loud music which couldn't be quietened by shutting your balcony doors or the daily playing of loud games, and dance lessonsetc. As previously mentioned, sun beds and especially parasols are at a premium as are beach beds with people reserving theirs as early as 6.30 am. They are also squashed in around the pool and beach which is not shown on Secrets website.The beaches are small and narrow and although the beach sand is soft, getting into the sea is painful with much broken coral. The areas where the sunbeds are do not get covered by the high tide so we found a lot of cigarette ends on the sand which is disgusting especially first thing in the day. All of the resort facilities including restaurants are shared with Secrets St James which also helps the overcrowded feel.
The resort is filled mainly by Americans some of whom were very rowdy and it almost seems that it is marketed differently in the UK. The staff are a very mixed bunch, some of whom are wonderful and some who will not give you the time of day. Good service often depends on your tipping habits. We were under the impression that this was all inclusive but the generous Americans who are used to tipping all the time do appear to have given the rest of us a disadvantage.
We found the restaurants to be good. We loved the Italien, French and Asian and for us, good food was served in restaurant quantities. They do have a big problem in that, when it rains, two thirds of the restaurant space outside is out of service. As you cannot book tables it can mean a lengthy wait of upto and hour and a half. This is dissapointment especially for special occasion meals.(Spoilt our 35th anniversary evening!)
Reception staff were unhelpful and long waits for help at reception were normal. Our room was at the end of the corridor which meant that our service was often not done before 5.00pm and the staff had often run out of bath towels, floor mats and shampoo and shower gel. The floor of our wardrobe was very dusty with debris still there when we left and a hair ball on the toilet cubicle floor ( not mine !) also remained for most of the holiday. We had two robes for one day, one robe for most of the holiday and none for some. Our mini bar was restocked infrequently and although we left many requests for diet coke, we're usually only given one per day if we were lucky.
I had tried to book a preferred suite but there were none available and we tried to upgrade locally but were unable to do so. A great many thanks must go to Sean, duty manager, who I emailed desperatly whilst there. He had no preferred rooms to give us but allowed us preferred privileges .to use their pool and beach area which were quieter. This improved our experience no end. Also a great many thanks to Glen Garden who leant me his personal Kindle charger and actually gave us the impression of caring about the guests holiday experiences rather than the impersonal experience we had come to expect.
This would be a great hotel for people wanting party fun with free flowing alcohol but if you want peace and romance, please, at the very least, book a preferred suite.
We will not be returning to his hotel.

Room Tip: Go for preferred!
McLean, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out, the staff we encountered, with a few exceptions, were either uninterested in being helpful or were affirmatively unfriendly. We received a poor room upon check in and were told that the resort was sold out and we could not be moved only to be moved a few minutes later. (It was mid February, the resort was not sold out by any means.) We told the resort that were celebrating a birthday and the resort did nothing to acknowledge that. The airlines lost our bag, and when they delivered late upon the night we arrived, the resort turned them away, saying we were not staying there, after we specifically told the concierge to expect the bag. Our room had no toiletries other than a bar of soap. The service at the bars and restaurants was painfully painfully slow, and they often ran out of food on the menu or forgot to bring you what you ordered or brought you the wrong items. We attempted to reserve a catamaran to sail for 30 mins and were told that we could no do so after 4:00, even though the Water Sports signage said they were open until 5:00. The woman who worked there was very rude. We saw waitresses arguing and one of the bartenders was noticiably intoxicated. It took about 10 minutes to obtain log in information to sign on to the internet and wifi was weak in the room. Also, please note that while alcohol is included, they only offer a house white and red wine, which was almost undrinkable. If you want better wine you have to order by the bottle, and you must pay a huge fee. For hard licquor drinkers, there are no issues. Also note that the resort credit is basically coupons to use for a few services, you cannot apply the whole credit to an activity, like on a cruise ship. Finally, do not use the bus tranfer to the hotel. You have to wait for a long time, as much as an hour. You can easily take a cab to the resort, which is only 15-20 minutes from the airport. We did raise these issues with the manager, who did nothing. Overall, it was a completely disappointing experience -- esp given how beautiful the island and resort are and how expensive it is!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I didn't plan on writing a review however my post vacation dealings with Secrets St. James have been less than ideal.

Upon returning from a wonderful stay (the staff and resort are terrific) I noticed my mastercard had been double billed. It appeared I had been billed at the time of booking (via the resort website) and at the time of my departure. I reached out to the hotel via email and recieved no response for a week. I preceeded to call the hotel and was told they would look into the problem, at this point I felt it would get resolved relatively easily, no problem.

I have since heard back from the Hotel that they have no record of the double billing and that I would have to dispute the charge with my credit card company. In no way am I implying this is anything but an honest mistake on thier part however the inability of the hotel to resolve this issue leaves me frustrated and disappointed after such a wonderful vacation.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for posting your review and it is certainly great to know that you had a wonderful vacation here with us at Secrets Wild Orchid.

We do sincerely apologize for the lack of follow up on this matter and the delayed response to your concerns.
Guest satisfaction is and will remain a high priority for us and as such we are extremely disappointed that we neglected to provide the ‘after care’ necessary to you.
We thank you for highlighting this as it is with feedback from our guests that we are sufficiently able to implement the changes necessary to ensure improvement on our overall service delivery.

We appreciate your patience and trust that as we realize our stated objectives that you will be encouraged to make Secrets Resorts your vacation destination of choice.

Best regards,
Half Moon, A RockResort
Half Moon, A RockResort
#4 of 64 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 stars 1,548 reviews

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!