“The Perfect Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“The Perfect Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Before you read my review, please know that I am (A) nervous about traveling, especially out of the country, because I'm spoiled with American hotels. I'm always nervous my money will be wasted on a bad hotel in a foreign country. And (B) I've worked in the Hotel industry over 5 years, at upscale locations. This resort far exceeded my expectations, which speaks volumes considering my employment and preconceived notions. The food is excellent (especially that famous Jerk Chicken Cart on the beach), the drinks are good and cold, and the resort/views are amazing. The staff is great as well. Of course there's always a bad apple in the bunch, who may just be having a bad day, but we were so impressed and comfortable. Our honeymoon was a week long; we stayed in the Preferred Club; we only left the resort for a bike tour and scuba/catamaran excursion, and both events were enjoyable. If you're considering Secrets Wild Orchid as your next vacation destination, then you will not be disappointed in your selection. Bravo Secrets! See you on an anniversary trip!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a wonderful week long honeymoon at Secrets Wild Orchid. Our room was clean and comfortable. The food was great. Room service was tasty too and they delivered withing 15-20 minutes. The service was wonderful from the time we stepped foot on the resort. It was our first time at an adult only resort and we really enjoyed it. No kids screaming and splashing around. Nice escape. We enjoyed the snorkeling tour, cooking class and the nightly entertainment. Make sure you visit Alving at the bar for his famous shots. Mexican dessert was delicious. We would love to go back someday! Definately recommend this resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Billy Love's team of bellmen are awesome! Super polite, go that extra mile no matter what. Always smiling, efficient and work hard, really especially for big groups that visit the resort. To name but a few that will always go that extra step: Hopeton, Oneil, Veproy, Marlon, Jefferey, Ezekiel, Hermon, Owen, Garfield and Dameon. Thanks guys!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

just returned from a thursday to monday trip.

+ 20min from airport
+service
+food
+entertainment
+2 yr facility, well kept
+comfortable beds
+all inclusive that included room service, mini bar
+strong drinks
+jerk chicken and fresh fruit cart
+coco cafe
+restaurants were good

-small gym
-undrinkable house wines
-breakfast was a wait and even more so for a cup of coffee
-massage at spa was so so

tip: they sell club mobay passes for the airport at $40, you can call ahead and prepay for $30

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jericho, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in September 2012 for a week. The service and everyone was great. The property was beautiful, our room was very clean with a perfect view of the beach. The food was ok, there were many resturants I recommend the hibachi one Himitsu, or a romantic dinner on the beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Howell, Nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Let me begin by saying, this is my first adult-only resort and what a difference it made! No crazy screaming kids splashing or crying. (I have nothing against children, but the lack thereof was a nice change).

Just arrived home yesterday and I am already missing the property, weather, food, and staff! I will break the review into sections to make it easier to read and write.

Accommodations:

The grounds of the resort are impeccably well kept. Landscaping well groomed, beach and pool areas well maintained, restaurants clean and pleasant, and the rooms are gorgeous. We stayed in the regular Wild Orchid suites with a king size bed and an ocean/mountain/bay view. We requested any room above level 3, and stayed on the 4th floor. The bed was super comfortable and the shower was great! It had 2 settings, a rain-like stream from the ceiling or a hand held shower head. The Jacuzzi bathtub was wonderful. Plenty of space in the closet and drawers. Nice desk area that I used as a make-up station. Balcony was a nice size and was offset so that you have a little bit of privacy from your neighbors.

Restaurants:

This resort is all-inclusive and you will never want for food or drink. The only sit down restaurant open for breakfast is World Café located between El Patio and Blue Mountain. The buffet actually uses the seating areas from those two restaurants, not having a dining room of its own. Breakfast buffet changed daily but typically included an omelet bar, waffle/pancake/crepe bar, eggs cooked to order, various breakfast meats, a few Jamaican dishes, various breads and pastries, fruits, cheeses, and juices. Do not neglect to try a spiked coffee from the coffee cart man Oneil. Not only is he entertaining and funny, but he makes a mean coffee. Another area open for breakfast is Coco Café, offering iced and hot coffees along with some breads and sweets. Garfield makes the BEST iced coffee and lattes there!

Lunch gives you the choice of poolside dining on either the St. James or Wild Orchid side. Wild Orchid’s restaurant has various burritos and burgers while St. James’ offers pizza, sandwiches, etc. There is always food available at the Barefoot Grill located off the beach between St. James and Wild Orchid. They offer hot dogs, burgers (YUM!), chips and nachos with cheese, empanadas, and veggie fritters (absolutely my favorite!). Also, World Café is open for lunch. My biggest recommendation is to skip all of that and go for the Jerk Chicken man who roves around the beach area. He pushes a cart with a grill on it and is constantly cooking jerk chicken all day. Forget any reservations you have about Jerk seasoning because this is not the crap you get in the US, it is so good!

For dinner, you have a few different choices. To view their full menus you can go to the World Café entrance before dinner. Most open around 6-7 and remain open until around 11pm, but I would recommend getting to whichever restaurant around 7 to avoid a long wait. We only ate at the following restaurants: World Café for rib night and surf and turf night (the lobster is to die for and you should definitely not miss it!), La Primavera for Italian food, Oceana for seafood (this is aka the Wild Orchid pool restaurant), and Hibachi Grill. I really enjoyed the squid and scallops at Oceana, could have passed on the Italian restaurant, liked the hibachi show more than the food, and loved the lobster at surf and turf night at World Café. One note: you need to make a reservation to sit at the hibachi grill. If you want to order from the a la carte menu, a reservation is unnecessary.

Room service is always available and after dinner hours there is a small buffet offered in El Patio for the late night partiers. Also there is soft serve ice cream available throughout the day next to Coco Café. We did order room service 2 nights and I would highly recommend the steak frites and fried provolone.

Pools and beaches:

The pools were always clean and wonderful despite the pool bars. I have been to other resorts with pool bars and sometimes they have a nasty smell coming from them because of people spilling drinks in the pool but I did not have this issue here. There are numerous places to sit and relax in and around the pool and there are multiple mats for your floating pleasure. The staff is very friendly and constantly looks to keep your drinks full. I have read some negative reviews here complaining that the staff will only serve you if you tip them largely every time you order, but we did not find this to be true. We were always offered a drink refill every time she passed by. And they are not shy with the liquor! Each drink is REALLY strong (in my opinion), but they also offer soda and juice concoctions for those who do not drink. I recommend trying a bushwacker: a mudslide-ish drink with banana, amaretto, and vodka. And for those who don’t drink try a mesmerizer: strawberry puree, mango, orange, and pineapple juice. The beach was small and calm and the water was beautiful. I spent more time in the pool than on the beach.

Entertainment:

The entertainment staff is fun and energetic. There is always something going on to keep you busy. I typically played pool volleyball every day with Kiki, Tia-Maria, or Happy Feet organizing. I also participated in beach volleyball, a Jerk cooking class, Bingo, and Beach Olympics. There is a schedule posted at each pool for the day’s activities and there is a news letter delivered to your room with the turn-down service every night including the following day’s activities. While we were down there we had 2 “holidays” – Marti Gras and Valentine’s Day. They put on an amazing party for Marti Gras with a live band (Pace), DJ, dance contests, beads, drinks, etc. It was a lot of fun. For Valentine’s Day, there were many couples activities offered and the women were given roses at dinner. Along with daily activities, there was a nightly schedule as well. This typically included a band playing for a few hours, some kind of show or guest participation game, karaoke, and partying at Desires nightclub until about 2am. Pace was usually the band that played in the evening. They always got the crowd involved and made sure to have a playlist that was recognizable to visitors from all over the world. Make sure not to miss the talent show or their version of the newlywed game! There were also movies in the courtyard a few times a week. It’s nice to relax, have some popcorn or ice cream, and watch a movie under the stars.

Complaints:

I really enjoyed my stay, but there were a few minor complaints: We never got what we asked for in the mini bar. We left notes for our lady, but she only obliged once. There were about 3 nights where we had to call down to room service and ask for more water to be delivered to the room. The maid was sometimes lazy and wouldn't leave us towels, washcloths, or toilet paper. We had to call and request these items as well. Sometimes pool bartenders were inconsistent. Drinks would not always be made the same way and had different types of alcohols or tastes.

Tips: Make sure you pack your nice clothes! Some restaurants will not seat you if you are not properly dressed. Make sure to bring heels or closed toed dress shoes, no spaghetti straps, no shorts for men. Bring bug spray! If you sit outdoors for dinner, you might just be mosquito bait! VIP upgrade is unnecessary. I was not impressed by their swim out option.

I really enjoyed my time at Secret’s Wild Orchid and would even go to say that this is one of my favorite properties I have stayed it. With some minor changes, our stay would have been perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor or higher for a nice view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Peoria, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We are seasoned travelers and have been to many all inclusive resorts. This is by far our favorite all inclusive. The whole resort is gorgeous, clean and friendly. Beautiful accomodtions and grounds. We had an ocean views junior suite and it was wonderful, rooms were sound proof, maids were great, beds comfortable and the balcony was a nice touch. We opted not to do the preferred suites as the price did not seem to justify itself. After seeing the outisde of that area, I am glad we did not choose that. We mostly used the swim up bar pool (which I believe was heated) and very relaxing. The bar tender Harry took wonderful care of us the whole week. Plenty of swim rafts to use and lounge chairs around the pool. We took our Bubba Kegs (insulated mugs) as we always do to keep the drinks cold. Drinks did not appear to be watered down and if you think so, just tell them to add a floater on the top. Lots of fun going on there. I received the best stone massage at the spa that I have ever had. Beautiful facility. We were at the resort for Super Bowl and that was a very fun evening watching the game on huge screens and also overlooking the ocean, while being served food and drinks. The restaurants were good,
wtih the Asian and the Blue Mountain being our favorite. Wait staff everywhere was top notch. At all of the dinner restaurants, men have to wear pants and closed toe shoes. They will send you back to your room to change. Entertainment is very good. We had a fantastic guest talent show on friday which we enjoyed. Dont waste your time going downtown to shop, really not that much there. We hired a taxi driver by the name of Hurbert Graham phone 876-426-3727 who will take you anywhere and is very nice. We chose the Mo-Bay Club on our return flight $30 per person to expedite you through security and immigration at the airport and then provide you a lounge to wait for your flight. I recommend this for speediness, but the food is not great, just ok. Full bar though. We had such wonderful warm weather, I am wondering if they have this always?? I only have two small recommendations to the resort, 1. Have a dinner restaurant for casual attire 2. Think about different accomodations for the parrots, they are couped up in that cage and screech loudly at each other and fight. Our room was near there on the 3rd floor and that is very annoying and does not add to the ambiance. Other than those minor things, we loved it here and will definetely come again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!