“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Montego Bay, Saint James, Jamaica
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

It was an excellent experience- Feb 2013. The staff was very friendly. The customer service was outstanding; the food was second to none.
We would like to make special mention of the following persons who helped make the vacation great one: Leteisha and Renae at the front desk, Gillicon Hines from Apple Vacation, Ruth- mini bar and Ann- housekeeping; keep up the good work guys.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice and have the softest bed we've experienced at a hotel.

2,934 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
Costa Mesa, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was amazing! Having the all-inclusive unlimited luxury package made it extra relaxing. No need to be frugal, order up & try new things LOL!
I would recommend bringing 50-100 singles, as it seemed custom to tip for pictures, room service, bar, tye dye class etc..
Every employee really goes out of their way to make everything PERFECT for you, and they are the FRIENDLIEST people out there :)
Maybe bring OFF since there were some mosquitos (none on me, but they loved my bf!), as well as a waterproof camera (i wish i did)!
Enjoy a beautiful, relaxing & ROMANTIC vacation in paradise!!***

Room Tip: We had requested a corner unit and loved it :) very private! 3rd floor or higher for best view..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We just came back from a 5 night stay: Jan 31-Feb 5. We had a great time!! The hotel is almost brand new. Everything is very modern, the room had a spectacular view with a stand alone jetted tub and a stand up shower. Beautiful! 24 hour room service was amazing, we used many times after coming back from a late night.

The entertainment was, in my opinion AMAZING. The staff during the days at the pool went above and beyond to keep the guests entertained. We participated in crab racing (with real crabs!!), pool side large block janga, and bingo. Super fun.

The drink selection at the bar was above my expectations. There was premium hard alcohol at almost all bars. The bartenders knew how to make some cool drinks that I would have never asked for. The only down side I found was that the "house" wine was not good. And at dinner time they had alternative wine list that you had to pay for -- these bottles were good but over priced. Prices ranged from $30-$350. At an all inclusive it's nice to have a premium wine selection but the prices were too high to warrant a purchase.

We went with another couple and chartered the speed boat for an hour for $150 and went for a little tour and a private snorkel in the middle of the ocean. Fully worth while. There were TONS of fish!!! And our staff member: Junior was so accommodating and fun! He was great ;)

The nightly entertainment at the out door stage, again exceeded my expectations. In particular we LOVED the 3 little birds and the dancers who went along with them were out of this world CRAZY amazing!! Also Jerry Jackson - a reggae type singer was awesome!! We also loved the staff member who did the piano sing along every night great!!!

Another feature that was great was that the outdoor jacuzzi were open all hours. We often made a late night stop to jacuzzi :) AND the food carts ---- the jerk chicken was crazy good. We also loved the coconut guy and the fresh fruit lady. Perfect afternoon snacks :)

****Biggest Tip I Can Give******** Every Friday night they have a secrets talent show, where first prize wins 5 free nights!!! Second place 3 free nights and third place a massage. There was only 5 guests who signed up to compete so the odds were really in there favour. Future guests should totally rehearse and try to win!!! You can do anything: skit, dance, sing, comedy.

DOWN SIDES------

The food at all the night time restaurants is mediocre. The buffet on the other hand, for all 3 meals offered was great. The wrap place (by the pool) was also great. I just don't recommend he night time restaurants -- which is a shame because the atmosphere is great in all of them.

We also felt like the resort was trying to charge us money for every little extra: Internet, wine, snorkelling, sailing, there is a fee for all of these. Also despite what the website says the staff DO expect tips. And some deserve them - but with every drink ordered, question asked, snack eaten -- we spent a ton of cash tipping --- which wasn't our intention --- but it was what everyone was doing.

Bus to and from the airport was not included in our stay. Apparently the locals said it would topically cost $1 (yes that's right $1!!!!) to get to or from the airport but they rip tourists off and charge $40 --- each way. Huge rip off!! A shuttle should be included, especially given it is only 10 min away.

STAFF COMMENTS------
Our check-in to our check-out the staff were so friendly, Damien (double D, as we called him) the bell hop - remembered our name. Kevin (from the tour desk) and Brian (check-in staff) were so funny, professional and funny!!

Pool side entertainment staff were AMAZING: particularly Moya -- who remembered my name throughout my stay and every time she say me asked if I was having a good time. Genius was just strait funny and entertaining. She entertained us for 3 days at the pool and was a blast!!

Junior at the water sports desk was great.

Room Tip: You can upgrade room cheaper when you check in BUT there is no need to, the base room is amazing! We...
toronto, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We arrived at Secrets St. James & were told that we were being "upgraded" to Secrets Wild Orchid. It is virtually the same hotel, except St. James seemed a bit quieter. If you get room 2042
be prepared for a lot of noise from the horseshoe pit & the giant hot tub. Check in was very prompt & friendly. The only sore point was being told that they had "free coupons" for us. The coupons are in fact a ruse to get you to attend a long, tiresome sales pitch for their "travel club"
Beware.
The room was quite comfortable. The beer fridge did not seem to keep the beer cold.
The lighting in the bathroom was very poor. The inside corridors were very dark & gloomy.
Thats all the less than perfect stuff. The great stuff was not having to make reservations for a la cart meals. Divine. I enjoyed every meal I ate. Even the wine was drinkable. The serving staff were warm & friendly & very capable. Even the room service was tasty.
They have beer taps that you can serve yourself from. No more waiting forever for the bartender to make us some fruity mess.
They did not guard the beach towels. You could have as many as you wanted, no attitude.
The snorkelling trip off the beach was quite good. Worth getting wet. The beach wasn't great. Oh well. My Husband enjoyed his scuba trip & found the staff quite knowlegable. $110 us. for a 2 tank dive.
The most memorable aspect of our trip was the staff. What a wonderful bunch, not a snarly one on the whole property.
Heartily recommend this property but try to get an upper floor room for a better view & some peace & quiet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My first experience at Secrets Wild Orchid was amazing, the customer service is none that I have every experience before. Special shout out to Ruth and her supervisor in housekeeping. Letiesha at the front desk, Archibald the bell man, the gentleman who sang to us in the main dinning room and all the staff of Secrets for making our stay the most memorable one. I really enjoy myself and would advise anyone seeking a hotel for vacation to go to Secrets. Love you guys hope to visit again soon.

Mrs. K. Lewis

Room Tip: All the rooms are perfect
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was my first trip to Jamaica and I absolutely fell in love with it and the people! Secrets Wild Orchid overall is very (very) nice!!! There were just a few things that happened which I had to deduct a star for. Any questions, please PM me. If you're looking for a tour group / private tour guide use Reggae Tours; they are fab (will submit a review for them as well) and price was the best of all the places I "shopped around" at.

Pros: Close 15-20 minutes to the airport, beautiful and super clean grounds, FABULOUS beach bar/wait staff (shout outs to Nickolov, Karen and Ashlee), fresh fruit cart, Carlton the coconut man (love me some fresh coconut water and it's even better with some coconut rum mixed in), Jerk Chicken Cart (deelish!), modern rooms, fantastic housekeeping (Nicole and Michala you two were the best housekeepers I've ever had the pleasure of cleaning & straightening up my room for me), I never worried about leaving my iPad, cameras, iPhone, money, out in my room as they never touched those things (many places you leave those items out and they are "lost" in the blink of an eye), great food, premium liquors, Nicholas at the spa gave me the best massage of my life (I always go to Bliss Spa or Red Door Spa here in Chicago so that says a lot and it was a fraction of the price), free snorkeling with a guide 3 times a day, many activities (if you are bored it's your own fault), hobie cats for 30-min. with a guide is only $10, free kayaks, super comfy and soft bed (not at all like the beds in Mexico) and gorgeous views from the rooms (stayed in 2310 & 1420), loved the resident peacocks and macaws (I think that's what they were), service at most restaurants was sometimes pretty slow, but the staff very nice and food was some of the best of the all inclusives I've been to and I've been to my fair share (check my reviews). I would not hesitate to return here by myself (I travel solo a lot) as the staff never made me feel weird when I was by myself and there's a great mix of people (age wise and other singles and families). Preferred Club lounge was nice and the light bites they always had out were very good. Their beach area was less cluttered with people, great service, had a hammock in the water and you were very close to all but 1 restaurant. I recommend paying the extra money.

Cons:
#1 I'm highly allergic to insect bites, so always cover myself with Off even before going to bed. Well the first night I woke up with huge welts covering my body and the second night I woke up with my left eye swollen shut. I went to the front desk and spoke to RaJohn. He was rude to me and pretty much said that hello we're in Jamaica, there is nothing they can do about insects. I reiterated that you could see tons of them in my room (I never keep my sliding door or room door open) and hearing them buzzing about; maybe my room was infested? He laughed at that. I asked for a room change and a bag so I could ice my eye until the nurse arrived at 9am. 30 minutes later I was still sitting there and he hadn't said another word. I asked about the bag for me to put some ice in and he replied curtly, "I'm working on changing your room for you; that's what you want isn't it?!?" I told him that he could call me when he was done as I needed to ice my eye. Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to work the front desk alone. My parents were staying in the Preferred Club and my mother came to find me (I called and told her what happened to my eye and that they were switching my room). Well, they switched my room but didn't update their system. They had my poor mother in a panic as she couldn't find me and they kept on telling her I was in a room I no longer was in. I finally found her down in the lobby of my building. After meeting with the nurse and getting a doctor to arrive, my mom went and spoke with one of the concierges at the Preferred Club, asked for a manager in charge and explained the situation. They said that the front desk manager would call her and that they could fumigate my room for all insects. YAY! Why RaJohn couldn't have told me they do that is beyond me or offered for them to fumigate my room. Employees here were obviously hit or miss with the information they know. The manager called my mother's room, apologized for everything and said that they would like to move me to the Preferred Club, fumigate a room for me and move all of my belongings. I told her and my mother I didn't care what type of room they put me in as long as it was fumigated. All of this nonsense made us miss a half day of our vacation. Given I was only there for 5 nights and an entire day was lost due to my eye being swollen shut, I wasn't the happiest person, but hey they tried to make it right. I have to give them credit for that. **If you suffer any type of allergic reactions to insect bites, ask them to fumigate your room before you arrive** They do not have any floor fans to give you (these also help as the bugs aren't strong enough to get to you in the breeze.

#2 The noise from the events every single night and the fact that they closed the beach bar at 5pm every evening instead of being open until 9pm (each day the sheet would say it was open till 9pm and then right at 5pm a manage would come up and close it immediately) as the events had that area to themselves. You could feel the bass reverberating in my room each and every night from the parties!!! Good thing I like to stay out for a while at night. If you go to bed before 11pm, there is no way you will be able to sleep until the parties are done. At least none went to 2am while I was there.

#3 Service at the World Cafe every morning (only restaurant open for breakfast) was lacking except the one day I sat inside at the first table to your left, then my server was on the ball! Other times, I would have to sit myself as the hostess for the tables outside was usually not there and then the servers wouldn't come to my table. I went to the server stand many times to get water, refill my water cup, put down a dirty plate so as to not clutter our table, etc. That is not right. Oh well, that won't make or break my vacation. Service everywhere else was much better.

#4 There is no air movement at all in the piano bar. How are there no fans in there? I can't imagine how hot it gets in there in the summer months. Everyone is there was sweating. Not so comfortable, however the singers and the piano player were great!!! Please Secrets, get some fans!

#5 Room service...food was never what I ordered, but was edible and only took 20 minutes.

#6 For the price, I was expecting better customer service. Preferred Club concierges were great! The non-preferred ones, not so much.

#7 No privacy in the bathroom area. As I had a room to myself it wasn't an issue for me, but if you're staying in a room with a friend or family member it would be interesting as the curtain that separates the bathroom from the room is transparent so changing will be interesting (there's no way you could change in the toilet area as that is super tiny) and you will be able to hear and smell everything going on in the bathroom.

Overall: Would I stay here again? Absolutely! But I now know to request that my room is fumigated first, who's section to sit in to get the best service and who to go to for my drinks. Every trip there is a learning curve and I am so glad I finally made it to Jamaica and have already planned my return trip. Note: I am a member of their Unlimited Vacation Club and even with these issues, Secrets Wild Orchid is now tied with Dreams Villagmagna as my favorite AMResort! This says a lot, trust me!!! Stop reading and book your vacation now people!!! Peace, love and respect mon!

Room Tip: If you need quiet, stay on the St James side as the parties are all held at Wild Orchid and are LOUD...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Newark, De
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I will keep to new thoughts on this outstanding resort, as I reviewed this in November 2011. We had a master suite with a butler---it is worth every penny to be a preferred member. Our balcony was ENORMOUS, and had a great view of sunset and hills of the island. THe food at the preferred lounge, although lighter fare, was, at times, better than the restaurants. The beach is never too crowded, yet if you wish, you can gett eh watersports guys to roll out a padded lounge chair out to the water for you. The grounds are immaculate, and the landscapers are always planting something new. They clean things that don't need cleaning!I appreciated that the resort was close to the airport, yet your weren't bothered by aiplane noises. Restaurant food needs some improvement, but you could have as much as you want. We have stayed at the WIld Orchid side, and now the St. James side. THey are pretty much the same, but WIld orchid is a little more secluded. As a preferred member, you had the run of the place. I heard the word 'no' only once during our stay. THe spa is very relaxing, the fitness center is adequate, and the tennis courts were spotless. They try very hard to have a top notch resort, and they accomplished this with flying colors! We will be back!

Room Tip: Beg your travel agent to get you upgraded, as the master suites will blow you away!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!