“Things to keep in mind at your first all inclusive” 5 of 5 stars

Big Fall Savings!
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kenai, Alaska
“Things to keep in mind at your first all inclusive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

so I ready a lot of the reviews before booking this trip. I had no choice but to stay here as it was where my friends wedding was, but I wanted to take time to dispel some of the negative reviews. First, the food. It is fine, not 5 stars in Nappa Valley, Not two stars at the local Dennys. Keep in mind that many of the fruits and veggies you are used to aren't indigenious (sp?) here so most of it has to be barged in so you sacrifice freshness, thereby sacrificing flavor. AND its an all inclusive, not a gourmet all inclusive, just a regular one that only promises food anytime you want it at no additional cost. The fun isn't that you get a meal you wouldnt normally get at home, its that you dont have to make it and you dont have to think of the cost. That said, the Jerk Chicken cart is awesome.
Second the staff. They were, for the most part, phenominal. There are hundreds of people that work here, and I am sure that a couple of them have built up a resentment for watching a bunch of predominantly white people enjoy a level of lifestyle that may seem out of bounds for them. So I think its fair to give a pass if you run into a couple rude employees. Also, it can take awhile to get a drink sometimes at some bars. But as a man that drinks his fair share I can say that about literraly every place that serves alcohol in the entire USA. Calm down and be patient. I was tipsy the whole time so it couldnt have been that bad.
Last, yes the site says that you dont have to tip, but it goes a long way. The only people that complain about this should not be aloud to leave Arkansas.

This place was beautiful, friendly, and I would come here again without question. There was a guy that was exceptional about helping keep our mini fridge stocked I think his name was Damon Clark or something to that effect. Thank you to the staff for making this such a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: Don't do the preferred package.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Donny:

Your kind words are warmly welcomed especially since you had a preconceived idea of our resort from other negative reviews. We appreciate your honesty very much and will work towards ironing out the kinks in our operation. Included in all the impending enhancements, we will make every effort to reinforce the need for all staff members to always be pleasant no matter what. I know this is very important and means much to all guests.

Thanks much for sharing.
Warm Regards,
Caulette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,710)
LaSalle, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was our second visit to this fabulous resort and this was our best vacation yet. The resort upgraded us to VIP Status in the Master Suite of the Preferred Club due to an issue from 2 years ago. We were treated so wonderfully by each and every staff member we came into contact with. We have traveled to approximately 15 different all-inclusives, and this is on the top of our list. It is the only resort that we have visited twice.

Everything was spectacular! Our check in was very smooth with Kayann. We went for a quick lunch and then brought to the suite by the Manager. This was a beautiful room on the 3rd floor (corner). The view was fantastic. The balcony had a table and chairs, loungers, and a large round hot tub (with candles, towels), on it. There was a large jetted tub for 2 inside with a large window beside it overlooking the water. The shower had 2 hand held wands and 2 rain showers inside along with a built in bench. The king size bed and bedding were so inviting. There was a living room, a bar area with snacks, liquor, coffee and esspresso makers. There was a dining area as well. There were 2 televisions, and 3 phones.

We were provided with a programmed cell phone should you need the assistance of a butler.
We were provided with the opportunity to go on a catamaran ride, which we did have to decline, but appreciated the gesture.

The food and all the restaurants were great....my favorite was Himatsu! As always the drinks flowed and were served up by the nicest people. We never really had much of a wait for any restaurant. They will give you a beeper if you want to enjoy a drink at the piano bar while waiting for a table.

We ordered room service for breakfast each morning so we could enjoy the morning on the balcony. It always arrived timely and hot. We ordered it each night before so we could expect it at a requested time.

We really enjoyed the beach in the morning. The water was clear and warm. We moved over to the pool bar each afternoon and met some really great people.

It was nice to have free wi-fi in the Preferred Club. We were able to keep up with our daughter's last collegiate volleyball game of the season. We did treat ourselves to a few snacks at the Preferred Club lounge as well.

The grounds are beautiful, and we even saw 2 peacocks walking past our building. The starfish cove was spectacular.....Mother nature at her best.

I can't say enough about Wild Orchid.......ONE LOVE!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Stan and Colleen

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view!
Dear Guest:

We are joyful to have had the opportunity to host you a second time around at our lovely resort. It was more than a pleasure to have extended our “red carpet” service to you; just a thank you for your loyalty  . We are all happy that you enjoyed everything and hope that this was even greater than your last stay. I’m sure that you have seen many improvements since your first visit here and hope that you will be back for many stays in the future.

Thanks for having took the time to update us.
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed there in October. This resort is beautiful! The food and service is excellent. The staff does everything possible to make you feel at home! When we travel we only stay at Secrets resorts. I am looking forward to returning in the very near future!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I’m fortunate enough to conduct business in Montego Bay and have stayed at many resorts. I was lucky enough to land a reservation at Secrets over a year ago and have continued to make them my destination of choice.

I travel there every 45 – 60 days and have business colleagues that do the same. I’d say that collectively we have at least 8-10 people doing this for the two years they’ve been open.

Every time we stay the experience is top notch and we always look forward to coming back. Some of the highlights are as follows:

Staff
• Each and every staff member takes the time to understand and meet your needs
• Staff members are very professional and create a fun atmosphere
• Staff members take the extra time to remember your name and provide recommendations for your trip
• Go above and beyond to make you feel appreciated

• 27/7 room service for free
• Innovative dishes that cover all cultural boundaries
• Top quality produce and meat

Rooms
• New and modern designs
• Room service is performed promptly and always top notch
• Amazing beds and showers
• Great temperature controls

Make a smart choice…Book Secrets!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest:

Secrets Resorts Montego Bay is fortunate to have had you as a visitor here and we are happy that you continue to make our property your Home away from home for business or leisure. It is a collective effort within our organization to ensure that we all offer great service with warm and friendly hospitality while maintaining much professionalism.
Your appreciation of our food and the aesthetics of our property are greatly tresured and these are things we certainly pay much attention to. We are happy that you enjoyed everything and look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues and friends here for many visits to come.

Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid for a business trip and I could not be happier with the service I received! The staff was so friendly, welcoming, upbeat and just all around made my stay enjoyable. Everyone does everything possible to make sure you are taken care of from the moment you step inside - including a cool towel and a drink. The room was very nicely decorated, always clean and so comfortable to relax in at the end of the day. The food was excellent in every restaurant - my favorite was Himitsu, the Japanese grill, as it was entertaining as well as delicious. I will definitely be recommending this resort to family and friends and trying my best to get back as soon as possible!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I went here for 8 days/7 nights to celebrate our honeymoon. Upon check-in we were directed to the Preferred building where the staff was friendly, nice, upbeat and very informative. This is how I rate our stay:
Staff: Friendly, helpful, talented, bubbly, patient, etc. Everyone here was super nice!
Room: We were located in room 1206 which is a corner room with an amazing view of the ocean, mountains, hot tub, and partial walkway. The room itself was decorated nicely and look just as the pictures show it. The room was clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable, plenty of storage to put your clothes away or hang them up, mini fridge with standard items (water, beer, soda, etc) and an extra perk included a bottle of rum, brandy and vodka. The only flaw was the shower leaked into the bathroom, so we had to keep a towel on the floor the entire trip just to avoid stepping or slipping in a puddle of water...and yes, the front desk was notified 3x but nothing was fixed (it just needed caulking).
Food: Room service is how we did breakfast 6 out of 8 mornings and you can't go wrong with eating in the privacy of your own room overlooking the ocean. The restaurants were good and had a good variety to choose from, but some were better than others. My ranking: Portofino (Italian), Himitsu (Japanese), Oceana (Seafood), El Patio (Mexican), World Cafe (Buffet) and Bordeaux (French). I wasn't a fan of the desserts, but the food at most places was pretty good. I will say that bringing Pepto Bismol or getting an pre-cautionary antibiotic (Cipro) won't be a bad idea though seeing as both my husband and I had a day where it was def. needed (to be expected eating in another country I guess)
Entertainment: There was a variety of shows whether it be musical, talent or a game show...most of which were fun and entertaining. Some things dragged out here and there, but overall it kept people mingling and out of there room. Aside from the shows, there's a handful of pools to go to, the beach, the spa, a casino and so on. There's never a dull moment!
Overall, this resort was amazing. This was our first trip to Jamaica and it won't be our last!

Room Tip: Corner rooms give you a 90 degree view and ocean view is always the way to go. Higher levels are als...
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was recommended to this resort and I can see why.. This place is a home run. The staff are all so nice- not nice because they have to be but nice because that's who they are. Joseph the bellman epitomized this. The oceanview room was very roomy and had a great comfortable bed. The food is very good (The Blue Mountain restaurant was real good- Jamaican cuisine at its finest). Drinks were super easy to get whether it was at the pool, or the other bars on the grounds. Biggest compliment I can give is I'm coming back...no questions asked.

Room Tip: higher the floor- better the view...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!