“great vacation....Sharon Parker” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
plantation florida
“great vacation....Sharon Parker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Had a great time, great place, excellent food, staff, accommodation.Special thanks to Billy Love who made my trip such a great experience and all the other great staff including Robert Coates...couldnt have picked a nicer place, the staff so friendly...omg, great experience wish i ould've stayed longer, but i'll be back very soon..thanks again to u all...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,417)
Barrie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

If it were not for the extremely poor quality of food and wine this hotel would deserve a 5 star rating. Sadly the quality of the meals and wine is substandard. We have enjoyed many all inclusive resorts in Jamaica and this one stands out as having provided us with the worst meals. However the staff is wonderful and the rooms, beach, pool etc. are superb

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Let me start by saying Secrets Resorts are one of the best chains I have ever been too (for the money). I have stayed at SR's many times and like there Resorts layout, also love that most of there resorts are under 400 rooms. Now with that said I should have know that Secrets Wild Orchid would not be like the rest of my stays. To start the rooms are great,large and all of them have a great view of the nice beach.But when you leave your room you start to feel like your not that important to the staff. I hoped that over 700 rooms would not change the feeling of the resort but it did. Some of the staff are really nice and would do anything to make your stay nice on one hand. And on the other hand wish they never got out of bed... They do not know how to treat people with respect. More then a few times I asked for something from someone and they never came back with it(Milk, coffee,and thing like that).And when I asked them again they would give you a look like you were so wrong for even thinking of something for them to do... I did however talk to the resort manager and he informed me that they know this has been a problem and they will be training there staff in the slow session. I have stayed in Mexico and the staff would do anything to make your stay great and I think that the Jamaicans can learn a few thing from them. But after I was there for a few days I could see who I should ask and who I should stay away from. Leo at the pool bar can and will do anything to make your stay in Jamaica a happy one. I do tip and I gave him at least $120 over my 6 night stay but he took care of the people that never tip him with the same smile. The food was ok not like Mexico's Secrets where the food is some of the best I have had (I'm from NYC so I know a thing or two about food lol). All and all we made the best of it. If you have to go to Jamaica it is still your best bet on the Island . If your not set on Jamaica I would have to say try Secrets Maroma and if that's to much money for you try Secrets Silversands. This Trip with Air from NYC for 6 nights was $2587.84 on be4youbookit.com

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem to have a nice view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012 via mobile

This was our first time to stay in Jamaica. The resort is new and the facilities are very nice and the rooms are clean. We did not stay in the preferred club but from talking to those who did, there didn't seem to be any difference. We all had access to the same restaurants, bars, etc. Breakfast is good if you get something freshly made. The lunch offerings are not very good. The chicken cart is the best option for lunch - very tasty and unique. The dinner options are good. Don't go to the "Japanese" restaurant if you expect something close to Asian food. It's not. The other restaurants are good. The Internet access is bad. We were not able to get a connection in the room. My iPhone would lose connectivity easily. The preferred club gets complimentary Internet access. We had to pay. But everyone was connected to the same system so everyone had the same problems. The beach and pool were great. The staff is hit or miss. Some were really nice and others were awful.

• Stayed December 2011
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We have had the pleasure of staying with 2 other Amstar locations, Dreams Cancun & Dreams Puerto Vallarta. When we decided to travel to Jamaica for the first time, choosing Secrets as our resort was a no brainer. I, too, have read the reviews on here regarding this lovely establishment; I will tell you in honesty that I feel most of the negative reviews are more a reflection on the traveler than the resort itself, but yet there are some areas that could use some improvement.
Upon arrival, we were greeted as friends by the curbside bellhop, Hopeton. He made us feel welcome right from the get go and ensured that our check in was timely. We were escorted to the "ocean view junior suite" we had booked by Billy Love, who is every bit as lovely as other TA reviewers said he would be. Our room was stunning, the same large, comfortable bed that we loved from other locations we had visited, a wonderful jacuzzi soaking tub, separate rainfall shower, a desk and chair, and a couch and coffee table. The room was even larger than I expected, with ample closet space and drawers. The only slight disappointment I could mention would be that our ocean view was, while gorgeous, a bit obscured. As you'll see in the pictures I post with my review, we had quite the view of the promenade and our ocean view was more off to the right than straight on. In other locations we stayed at, booking the "ocean view" meant full on, facing the ocean, no obstructions. It was our own fault for having those same expectations, as the resort more than provided a stunning balcony and room.
We dined at several of the resorts restaurants and bars; including Oceana for lunch, the Hibachi table at Himitsu, dinner at El Patio, dinner at Portofino, buffet night and most breakfasts at World Cafe. We chose not to try Bordeaux as we do not care much for French cuisine and simply ran out of time to try Blue Mountain. I highly recommend upon your first day or so there, to take a seat outside of World Cafe. On the coffee table by the outdoor couch, you will find the menu to all the resorts restaurants, very helpful in deciding where you want to go during your vacation. All of our meals were excellent, my favorite being El Patio and my other half's being Portofino. I was pleasantly surprised to see Lobster Tails available during World Cafe's dinner buffet of Surf and Turf, and even more happy to report that it was delicious! An unexpected treat! If I could make any small complaint, it was that on occasion, our dinner meals came out less than piping hot. It was certainly edible, but I prefer to have my food hot, hot, hot. Also, we had one issue with our pager upon waiting for a table at Portofino. The host advised us we'd have time for about 1 drink at the Piano Bar before a table would be prepared, but after about 3 drinks and 45 minutes we still had not been paged. We went back and the host was completely embarrassed, he had apparently paged us less than 15 minutes after we checked in and our pager never went off. He sat us immediately and was extremely apologetic. We did our fair share of drinking during the trip and have no complaints about the alcohol content as some reviewers have mentioned. The Sugar Reef swim up bar was a lot of fun and it is in the heated pool of Wild Orchid (the other half of the main pool is not). The Barracuda bar was excellent as well, be sure to secure a swing seat! The Piano Bar was packed our entire trip so a bit of time to order a drink but also had the best Mojito on site, so hard to complain! Our favorite bartender was at Rendezvous lobby bar, not only did he make us a delicious 'pineapple upside down cake' shot, but also took the time to introduce us to some local Reggae music on our Iphones. The club Desires leaves a bit to, in fact, be desired as it did not attract a lot of guests during our stay and while the music was pumpin', not a lot of dancing. The only place that we had any trouble getting drinks was from one particular female Beach server. She wore a scowl our entire trip and would just pace up and down the Beach, trying to avoid eye contact with guests instead of taking drink orders.
Daytime entertainment is full of fun. There is music playing constantly around the pool, sometimes recorded but often a steel drum band or an entertainment staffer singing. Beach volleyball was a great time for my other half, and the games always attracted more than enough players. We have no trouble finding a lounger on the beach or around the pool during mid morning. During our stay there were dance classes, yoga on the beach, kayaking, snorkeling, and more.
The night time entertainment did lack a bit. The house band Pace was wonderful, a very talented group. But the shows and events didn't seem to really 'hit the mark' with guests during our trip. The Showtime Theater was mostly empty on nights we stopped in and the couple activities hosted near the outdoor stage consisted of "Name that Tune" and "Couples Scavenger Hunts" > please be forewarned that the latter includes collecting bras from women in the crowd who then have to shake what their mama gave them onstage in order to get said bra back from the host....! Yikes. But it was good for a few laughs and most evenings, we wandered around to find our own fun.
In the mornings, we had coffee at Coco's. While it is very, very good; it is a bit limited in selections. You cannot add Rum Cream (like Bailey's) to your coffee until after 10 am (haha) and the only flavors they offer are chocolate and vanilla. The coffee is poured into an approximately 5 oz styrofoam cup with no lid, making it quite the feet to get 2 coffees back to your room to enjoy. I recommend all morning coffee drinkers bring a reusable thermos of some kind instead.
In the afternoons, you'll hear the call of the Jerky cart and yes, it is every bit as yummy as other reviews say it is. Get the Secret Sauce!!! But what isn't mentioned as much, are the talented and funny men making fresh Rum Slush (chopping off of an ice block with a machete!!) and carving lovely pineapples and making Rum infused coconut drinks. Seek these gentlemen out, its completely worth it!
I would say that the biggest area for improvement is with the housekeeping. We found it to be inconsistent and even a tab bit frustrating during our stay. Most late mornings, we would have time go down and have breakfast, come back up to change for swimming and they would just be starting to make the rounds. I used several of the room's items up and never had them replaced until I asked for one off of the housekeeping cart days later. Turn down service only did so about half of our stay. Our tub was not cleaned out after usage and sometimes the floor was not swept. Also, if you stay in the non preferred side, you are not given a nightly Sundial (the resorts newspaper that advises of the next day's activities), if you want one, you have to go down to the lobby to request one (if and when they have one available). However, in meeting friends who were staying on the preferred side, they informed us theirs were slid under their door each night.
Another small complaint was the Secrets box. Awesome in theory but the room service folks could use a bit more efficiency. Our food was always timely and very good, and after we finished, like we were told, we put our dishes back into the box. Except that very often, half a day or more would pass until it was picked up. I found that if you leave the outside part of the box open before housekeeping arrives, you have a fair chance that it will be emptied.
For fellow football fans reading this, I would also mention that the resort does not have the regular Fox channel, only CBS and Fox Soccer. We had asked upon our arrival if we would be able to watch our Packers play at the resort and were assured we would (we even mentioned the time and channel they were playing on) and come Sunday noon, we found out that we couldn't. It was a bummer to us and a few other guests but a good reminder that we should have been out enjoying the beach instead of watching tv!
The beach is not as rocky or unswimmable as some reviewers would have you believe. It was more than pleasant to take walks on and splash around in. But yes, the St James side of the beach did seem to have a bit softer sand for some reason. Also, all the water sports are located on that side, and I highly recommend taking out the Hobby Wave. It is $20 to have a captain for a half an hour and completely worth it.
I could go on and on for days about this resort, both the stellar and the areas for improvement. But all in all, this is a wonderful resort with fantastic people running and working it. We ate, we drank, we swam, and we sunned; who could ask for more on a beach vacation? Go in with the same laid back, fun loving spirit that Jamaica is none for, and you will have "No Problems, Mon!" Happy Travels!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view! Corner rooms do seem to have bigger balconies!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012 via mobile

I had my heart set on France for our honeymoon destination, however, after buying a home, we decided to settle on a Caribbean vacation instead. We definitely did not settle! This place is amazing! The employees are super friendly! Harry, the bartender working at the swim up bar was awesome! Leo was great! And the talent team sure knows how to party! The food was decent, the surf and turf at the French restaurant was great, a must have. There are plenty of excursions available for next day booking, the dolphin swim was pretty cool.

We met so many great guests as well! We are so happy with our decision, and I'm confident that whoever stays there feels the same way!

Great resort, spectacular views, and wonderful memories to last a lifetime :)

• Stayed December 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay from December 13-20. Overall, we had a good time. The rooms are very nice and the food is pretty good. The grounds are beautiful and the views of the ocean and the mountains are lovely.

However, we really wanted to just relax on the beach on this vacation and this was extremely difficult for us because the rap, hip-hop, and reggae music around the main pools is extremely loud during the day. You can hear the bass thumping constantly! They also have speakers all along the beach that play different music as well as music in the beach bars that all blend together. We tried every area of the regular beach and could not escape it. It was so loud that I couldn't block it out even with my noise cancelling headphones. Our room was an ocean view on the 5th floor and it was very loud in our room as well. I tried to talk to management about it but the first day I called, I never heard back from anyone. The second day, I spoke with a night manager who said that he would speak with the entertainment manager and get it turned down. That did not happen. The third time, I went to the front desk and the attendent was able to get permission for us to use the preferred beach for the last couple of days of our trip. It was finally quiet enough to relax. I felt like if the management had really cared about customer service, they could have suggested this fix to us earlier in our stay. It's not like we were looking for an upgrade, just a quiet place to relax!

The food is pretty good, not as good as some other resorts we have been to, but good. We didn't like the Mexican or the Jamaican restaurants, but the French, Italian and Asian ones were all really good. The lunch buffet is WAY better than the two other places that are open at that time. The jerk chicken along the beach is really good! We don't drink all that much but the few drinks that I had were really good.

Overall, the resort is nice but if you want to avoid the constant loud reggae, rap and hip-hop music, make sure you stay on the preferred side or pick another resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!