“My trip to Secrets Wild Orchid” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Beavercreek, Ohio
“My trip to Secrets Wild Orchid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My trip to Secrets Wild Orchid:

My husband and I resided at Secrets Wild Orchid Preferred Club from September 1st through September 10th. We had an absolutely wonderful time! Most of the staff were excellent, a few were just good and only 1 or 2 weren’t very pleasant (honestly customer service is much better at this resort than in the States!). We had a more difficult time with disrespectful patrons. For example, while my husband and I were wading in the Wild Orchid regular pool some (probably drunk) person decided to practice his remedial swimming skills and kicked me in the shoulder. This kick prohibited me from snorkeling the next day, as my shoulder continued to ache, which made it difficult to swim. Though the man did not appear to be the brightest bulb, I hope that he remembers this experience so that he does not kick another innocent bystander again. Having said that, we did meet some wonderful couples from Ohio, NY, D.C. and Oklahoma.

The food--what can I say--it’s not the best, but if you are an informed traveler you know that going into the trip. Each restaurant has some good dishes, it really depends on what you order. The best steak I had during the entire trip was at El Patio. The best fish was at Blue Mountain. Both of these restaurants are typically rated the worst by many reviewers. Bordeaux typically has the highest ratings and I only thought the food was average that night. So it really depends on what you order, the chef, etc... I’d recommend that you try all of the restaurants (if you can) and judge for yourself.

My husband and I really enjoyed the preferred club amenities. If you like to eat or drink any time of the day you might want to pay for the preferred club (especially as room service, though pretty tasty, is rather limited). If you are missing something in your room, i.e. part of your anniversary or honeymoon package, room amenities, alcohol, just ask. So many people complain that they didn’t receive something, but they also didn’t ask. Yes, it can be inconvenient, and yes the staff shouldn’t have forgotten, but people make mistakes. We asked for vodka and cranberry juice and we received it in a few short hours. You’ll also get a better view of the ocean and pools in preferred club, great for taking pictures from the balcony!

The housekeepers did a great job at cleaning our room! We turned down the turn down service at least once, but they offered to turn down our room every night and cleaned our room every day.

I would recommend utilizing the water sports, we had a wonderful time sailing (my husband is an ex-instructor) snorkeling and kayaking. We also parasailed (at an extra cost), which was wonderful.

I used the gym almost every day, there typically wasn’t a long wait (no more than 10 minutes) to use the treadmill. Most days we didn’t have to wait at all.

Tipping—we tipped for extraordinary or excellent service, not for everything, and we still received great service!

If you have read my review, you’ve probably read several (or like me—many) others, so you know about the mosquitoes (if they like you--bring bug spray!), the jerk chicken cart and coconut water cart, how to adjust the a/c (check the Secrets wild orchid facebook page if you don’t know how), different excursions available, the lack of privacy in the bathroom (it is a couples resort!) and how the service/food/night life may be inconsistent. So I’m not going to go into any of that.

Overall, I loved this resort! My husband and I had a great time! Would we go back, probably not, but we usually do not travel to the same location twice. We like to try different hotels in different locations. I would however, highly recommend this place to anyone interested in a beautiful resort, laid back atmosphere and overall great experience.

P.S. One thing that I didn’t know prior to the trip: the shower stall is very dark, this makes it difficult to shave your legs!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,331)
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

My wife and I had one goal in mind for the honeymoon: RELAX. And we did. From the start I was impressed with the genuine quality of the "pampering." We got off the bus that dropped us off and were whisked away to the "Preferred Club" building (I recommend shelling out the extra cash for that). My first cold Red Stripe was sipped while we checked in. The wife had champagne.

The room was as I had hoped. For the first time, I felt like I got what I was paying for with that "luxury." We used our bathrobes. We used our balcony. We used our private tub on the balcony. We used our jacuzzi inside. We used our free wi-fi (Preferred Club perk, I believe). We used the mini-fridge that got restocked as needed -- love that all-inclusive.

We used the gym (also nice). We used the tennis court and basketball court. We used the game area (foos ball, ping pong, pool). We used the beach, the ocean... all in all, it was a great honeymoon. I became a fan of Red Stripe, and we both liked very much the Miami Vice (tasty cocktail). The service was great everywhere you set foot.

And how can you NOT like ordering room service at your leisure when it's all-inclusive?

I don't know if we just got lucky with timing (August), but it never felt crowded, either. Partly I'm guessing that's the Preferred Club, but even when we were just lolling on the beach, swimming in the ocean, it felt secluded. Pretty darn nice.

Only complaints: A week is long enough, because by the end we were both ready to get back to the states and have a real variety on the menu again. There's "variety" at Secrets, but it is kind of all the same stuff, if you know what I mean. I will say it's worth it to make reservations and go to their Benihana-like place. It's the one chance of pace, menu-wise, they've got.

Lastly, when I got home, I learned my credit card (although still in my wallet) was busy wracking up quite the bill in Jamaica. Not cool, 'mon. I used it maybe 3 times, all on the resort at gift shops (everything else is, say it with me.. all-inclusive!), something obviously went down there. Can I blame Secrets for that hassle? Meh.

We had a great time, and everyone should do all-inclusive once in their lives (honeymoon seems like the best time). We probably won't be back there or even do all-inclusive again (I like the adventurous side of vacay), but for our honeymoon?

It was all good, 'mon!

Room Tip: "Preferred Club" with ocean view. Worth it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We have stayed many places and the Wild Orchid In Jamaica was by far the best!!! Everyone was friendly and the service was great. Rooms were fantastic and very clean. The casino was small which was OK but personnel not too friendly. If you won or wanted to change to another machine you would hit the cash out button this would alert the attendant who would come over and turn off the light and then you followed them back to the desk to get your money. They never seemed very pleased when you pushed that button. We have no other complaints except that you can't get any small change $1 if you need some for tipping so make sure you bring ones. I was reading the other reviews and can't believe the negative ones ---we were at the same place. Yes it is hard to find a lounge chair at the pool, especially one under an umbrella but this happens any where you go. We are going to go back next year!! Never felt pressured to tip, sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't. The only noise we heard when in our room was people opening or closing their door we never heard people in their rooms. The entertainment group was fantastic. They would organize activities and be a part of them too. Nakoy Asher was one person that stood out. He was teaching us some dance steps and it was a blast. He had the moves and we all tried to follow the best we could. We had an awesome time!!!

Room Tip: Looked like all rooms had good views.
iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our vacation started off in the Secrets St. James side of the resort. We booked a ocean view suite and it was nice. Upon arriving to our room we thought it was a little bit smaller then we are used to but nothing to complain about. After taking a shower though we had a big leak problem with the shower. The water went all over the bathroom and into the hallway. Then the closet door handles fell off along with the shower head handle. It was a bit dingy as well. We aren't big on complaining but the next day we decided t see if there were any upgrades available. We were told yes and were supposed to meet someone in the perferred club to show us the upgraded room. Well we took a wrong turn and ended up at the perferred club on the wild orchid side. The girl there offered to show us a suite that was available there. It was fantastic...like we were at a different resort! We quickly upgraded for about $800 . We checked the price of the room we upgraded to on line and lets just say we saved at least $10k! So upgrade after you're ther if you can. The suite was amazing with a large living room dinning room with table for 4, seperate bedroom with king size four poster bed and big jacuzzi tub with slide awat privacy doors and a seperate bathroom with huge shower, not to mention a double balcony with a hot tub and unbelivable view. We got to enjoy a private beach area only for the perferred club wich made a huge diffrence. The beach on the other side was crowded. The cove St James sits on is so beautiful and the waters are streaming with starfish and lots of other beautiful fish. I say do go snorkling! We also had a great couples massage at the spa. Very nice. The service was great, the food was just ok and the ones on the St James side were bad. The jerk chicken on the beach was excellent. Drinks were very good as well. We've stayed at more expensive resorts that did have better food and better entertainment but this hotel was great for the money....once we upgraded. The room and the beach made this a great vacation. I would stay again but only in that room!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We visited Secrets Wild Orchid on our honeymoon September 1 – 8th. Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay Jamaica is a beautiful resort, but the service is below average. This was our first time to Jamaica and was really looking forward to staying at Secrets WO. I read many of the reviews before selecting Secrets WO. But decide to go and see for myself. Every person has certain things they consider important. Customer service is very important to me! Secrets WO service falls short of their price point and my expectations. I would give an example, but it was across board. It is a shame because they have a breath taken location and faculties. Only if the management can correct the service of their employees it would truly be a paradise. Final note, if you consider service important I would not recommend Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay Jamaica.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I am late on this review, by over a year, but I felt I should still write a review. I had found this place doing some research on Jamaica, because I was looking into resorts for my best friend and now sister in law to get married last June. She had chosen Jamaica, so when I found Secrets Wild Orchid I was set that it was the perfect place for her wedding and our trip!
We stayed in the preferred sweet on the top floor of Wild Orchid. It was an amazing room, with an amazing view, and great amenities such as the jet tub and the spacious bed and mood lighting.
They had a beautiful wedding in the gazebo, and got some amazing wedding photos.
We all had a great time lounging in the pool and in the ocean, with great drinks and food. My favorite lunch meal was the jerk chicken, it was AMAZING! I have been craving it ever since we left!
The restaurants were really nice, except for some that had no air conditioning. Without air, things got sticky very fast and that was not good for my husband or any man that had to wear the slacks to dinner.
There were great food choices (our favorite the Chinese restaurant) and great drinks. I loved being able to grab a glass of champagne any time I wanted!
The snorkeling tour was so much fun also. We just swam out into the ocean where we were guided to gorgeous coral and fish. The snorkeling was amazing, and definitely beat out our recent snorkeling trip in Hawaii!
It was a perfect vacation with beautiful scenery. All of the people who came were so thrilled with everything and loved the resort also. I would love to try out more Secret's Resorts in other locations because this one was perfect!

Room Tip: Top floor in the Wild Orchid Prefered- way to go!
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I went to Secrets Wild Orchid for my 30th birthday. The location was beautiful and we stayed in the preferred club area. The room was nice but kinda dark, the lighting was odd. The preferred club beach was nice and I thought a real advantage if you like quiet. It was a great snorkeling area with a man made reef all around it. I also liked the preferred club lobby food area. It was much easier to grab a quick breakfast or snack there than to wait in a buffet line. The jerk chicken cart, grilled hamburger cart and coconut drink cart were by far the best food in the entire place and primarily what we had for lunch everyday. The restaurants were not that great in my opinion. I have had much better food at the Excellence resorts but I have had much worse food than Secrets at other places so I'd say it was okay but very repetitive and not that interesting. All the desserts, for instance, are essentially the same little cheesecakes and finger foods at every restaurant. The best meal I had was actually on my birthday at a place called the Houseboat Grill just down the road from the resort, I totally recommend that place...the food was amazing. I did also go to the spa which is on the St. James side, so if you are in the Wild Orchid preferred area like I was it is a little bit of walk to get there. My husband and I had couples massages and I had a facial. My husband said his massage was excellent and she really worked out a lot of tension in his neck. Mine was very weak, even when I asked for more pressure, and my masseuse had very dry hands. The same woman gave me my facial and she was dead silent the entire time so no information about what she was doing or anything. Luckily I had facials before so I knew about extractions and those things or I would have been kind of surprised. All in all it's a beautiful resort, I wish I didn't have to do all inclusive and could get food elsewhere and I'd probably go back.

Room Tip: If you have the extra money preferred club at wild orchid is nice.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!