“A good experience for an all-inclusive” 4 of 5 stars

Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York
“A good experience for an all-inclusive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I'm not a big fan of all-inclusive formats, but this is a newly built facility and does a good job making you comfortable. Friendly staff, good range of food choices. Top shelf liquor available at some bars. We took advantage of a special that made the trip very affordable. The spa there is beautiful and had a great hydrotherapy circuit. (My first time, but apparently something that my wife is very familiar with and she said it was very well done.) The swim up bars are a treat and offer a laid-back venue for socializing.

Rooms were clean, attractively decorated and had great soaking tubs as well as separate showers and a small refrigerator stocked with beer and soft drinks. Room service was included and had enough choices to be a viable meal option when you are tired. We hired Clive's Transport Service to handle our airport to hotel transfer and hired a taxi at the hotel to take us to town.

Internet access was good enough to use Skype. As one might expect, the wine list was not good. Bring your own wine if you care about wine.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,587)
Huntington, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I try to take an all-inclusive trip every year to somewhere different. Jamaica was our destination and we choose Secrets because we stayed at the Secrets in Punta Cana the previous year and loved it.

After reading reviews we decided we wanted the upgraded amenities of the "preferred club," unfortunately when we arrived they were overbooked and had to stick us in a regular room but with access to the preferred side of the beach/pool, etc. and a free return stay for 6 nights for two in a preferred room. Hard to pass that up!

Although we didn't receive the in-room upgrades and had to figure out for ourselves how to get the preferred club key cards, we were overall every happy with this arrangement and will be happy to return next year for free.

The service at the resort was great for the most part, not as quick as Mexico, but it didn't bother us. Once the bartenders get to know you and you tip them a couple of bucks with your drinks you start getting fancier and stronger drinks.

The food was so so. Our favorite dinner was actually the Italian place which really surprised us both. We had the French place the first night and I really liked it, but my boyfriend wasn't feeling the best so he really didn't have an opinion of it. If you go right at 6pm you get seated faster and out quicker. All the desserts were pretty much the same at all the restaurants and not my favorite.

I really liked the coffee bar, a few sections but all pretty good. Jerk chicken was fantastic! The places open for lunch were ok, we preferred the buffet because you got in and out and back to the water quicker. Room service, not so great, the nachos were horrid, stale corn chips and watered down cheese. I think the burger was the only decent item on the room service menu.

Favorite drinks-dirty banana and the iceberg (red stripe with a clump of frozen margarita on top)

As far as the rest of the visit and Jamaica as a whole we loved it and would highly recommend it to especially to someone traveling out of the country for the first time (it was the least overwhelming/imitating airport we have been to and it helps that their official language is English!) The people were super friendly and the island was beautiful! Everyone should as least try it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

This property is beautiful, but quickly became referred to as "the base, or the compound." Although asthetically pleasing, if you want an island-feel of te real Jamaica, this isn't it. Very sterile environment, and many of the staff we spoke with were afraid to bring much personality to their jobs. It was a great place to enjoy some beach time and water, but no way you can tell what country you are in, so if that's what you are looking for, go for it! All the other reviews tell you the story... Long waiting times for understaffed restaurants. We even left one after waiting 45 minutes just to order, once seated. It would have been three hours to get fed! That's beyond a reasonable expectation, no matter the food. Drinks are premium at the hotel bars, but not outside, you are back to the rail. Who would have thought no Mojitos in a resort of this calibre? Room service after 11PM is nachoes, sndwiches, or a burger. - not nearly 4+ stars in any stretch of the truth.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

If you are considering the montego bay area secrets is a must. Our room was very contemporary, comfortable, and roomy!!! There was a continuous party on the resort (we went during the Jamaica's independence week). The food was decent and there was something for all to enjoy. Pool was laid back and drinks were good!!!! I enjoyed the trip and wouldn't stay anywhere besides secrets!!!!!!!

Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

First I would like to say how much I loved the property! Simply beautiful and well maintained (super clean, pretty landscaping and beaches) From your room to the hotel restaurants and amenities, the resort is very, very nice! It is wonderful that it is all inclusive, great drinks and food wasn't so bad. Breakfast buffet is the best. There are variety of restaurants, my favorite was the Italian. Make sure you make a reservation for the Hibachi house if you want to seat at the grill/table on the first day you arrive because it gets crowded. The French restaurant was good too. Small portions so make sure you order all the courses. The entire staff were wonderful, specially the wait staff. Waiters semm happy to do their jobs, always with a smile and singing. Loved the attitude, except for the host staff, some were rude.
If you go on a group, it is hard to get table for everyone (7 of us) since most people that go are couples, but they do try to accomodate you. The pool/beach was fun, Leonard is the BEST waiter! Super fun, Sue and Phillip were nice too! Beach was beautiful. Please tip the staff, they work hard, no matter if it is all inclusive!!!
Good prices at the hotel shops and night entertainment wasn't bad either. They try to do different activieties each night. The soca party rocked!!!
Definitely try the jerk chicken cart at the beach/pool area, very yummy! And also have some fresh coconut water and pinneaple. The guy is super nice!!!
Overall, great trip, had a great time! Secrets staff, keep up the good work! Ya mon! Jamaica, No problem!!! We;ll be back :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My Husband and I just returned Aug 6, we celebrate our 8 yr anniversary. We actually got married in Montego Bay This place is truly paradise, all the is shown on the Wild Orchid site theirs no false advertising. PARADISE!!!! I am a very picky individual, BUT I didnt have one single complaint nor negative experience.. This place had everything you could imagine. Resturant, live shows, etc... super super fun. The staff is excellent, especially Ricardo in the hibaci grill, pure entertainment.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

For starters, I'd like to stay that my husband and I stayed at the Secrets Resort - Maroma Beach in Mexico and had a fabulous time. We decided to stay at the Wild Orchid Resort. St. James and Wild Orchid are next door to each other. The decor is different in each resort but all of the dining is on the Wild Orchid side and the water sports are on the St. James side.

Upon check in the staff was wonderful. My husband and I decided to upgrade to the preferred club. I would definitely recommend upgrading. The preferred club has its own pool and beach, which is not as crowded as the regular pool and beach. We never had a problem finding an open chair under an umbrella.

The food was worse than mediocre. Every night we waited at least an hour to eat at one of the restaurants. It was very frustrating. Each restaurant was themed (French, Jamaican, Italian, Mexican), however, we felt like we ate the same meal every night. I do recommend eating at the hibachi grill, but you do need to make reservations and make them early in your trip. I do recommend eating the jerk chicken from the cart. I ate this everyday for lunch - the only food on the entire resort with flavor!

The cleanliness of the room was good. However, the sliding door to the balcony was broken and no one ever came to fix it. The concierge is rather slow - it took 3 calls to have extra towels and hangers delivered to our room. The beds are uncomfortable and the pillows are worse. I'd suggest bringing your own, if you can!

The service was also mediocre to horrible. When you ordered a drink at the beach, it would take the server at least 45 minutes to return with a watered down, weak drink. I felt like the servers did not care whether we tipped them or not.

We did enjoy a great time snorkeling in the reef. The guides were very knowledgable. I would recommend going in the late afternoon. The group before us had 14 people on the boat, we had 4.

My husband and I had a relaxing week at Secrets Wild Orchid, however, we will not be returning to this resort any time soon!

Room Tip: We booked on Expedia and saved $$$. Then upgraded to the Preferred Club on site.