“We Had Our Dream Wedding!” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Fort McMurray, Canada
“We Had Our Dream Wedding!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

My new husband and I chose the Secrets Resort over the Sandals resorts that we had been considering because the Secrets wedding package included a lot more things such as: steaming of the dress/suit, bridal hair and makeup, spa session for the newlyweds, and dinner for 20 (Sandals only offered dinner for 8, and additional tables were $500!).

Overall, we were very pleased with what we got for our money, and even more happy with the wedding department staff, inlcuding Lisa-Marie and Sade, who really looked after us. The only things that could be considered some of the drawbacks were: a sound system is not included in the wedding package, and it costs $540 to rent the one on the resort (which was kind of hidden in the small print). Thankfully, we had caught it before we left and instead of shelling out that money, we bought a portable speaker for our iPod for about $150 and used that instead. Also, the resort charges $350 to decorate the venue, although the standard decorations that you get for that $350 is two sheer panels and two flower arrangements. It is pretty, but not worth that much money. Instead, we bought some tule and silk flowers and had members of our wedding party put them up for us. It only cost us about $50 to do it that way and it looked just as nice.

I had read some other reviews of other resorts where people cautioned about sending your dress for steaming, because the other resorts had ruined it, but Secrets did a great job of my dress and my groom's suit. No complaints there at all. I had also had people tell me not to let the salon do my makeup because they'd make you look way too dramatic. I didn't find that to be a problem at all. Some of the makeup was a little dark at first, but I just asked them to change it and they did: no problems, mon! They did a fabulous job on my hair and makeup and I couldn't have been happier.

Our photographer, Dwayne, was also awesome. We have oodles of great pictures. I think one big hint to making sure you get what you want with your pictures is to be prepared. I know lots of people pick destination weddings because it is supposed to be less maintenance, but a little preparation goes a long way. Before we went, my husband and I spent a few hours browsing the internet for examples of destination wedding pictures. We saved the ones we really liked and printed them off to give the photographer. That way, he knew exactly what we were looking for. He was great at taking our suggestions and had some great ones of his own, too.
The package comes with 50 photos (and the CD of all the photos costs over $1000, which was too expensive for us), so instead what we did was ask one of our wedding party to accompnay us on our photoshoot. He basically followed us and the photographer around, and every time the photographer snapped a picture, so did our helper (Note, he has a really nice camera and is kind of a hobby-photographer himself). As a result, many of his pictures came out just as nice as the photographers, some of them even better. That meant that besides the 50 we got from the package, we also had another 200 that were just as great. We got the best poses from each and it didn't cost us a thing.
Kudos also goes out to our videographer, Damian, who was very funny and worked really hard to get our video just right for us. He even put in some OT and stayed to get our first dance. The other FABULOUS thing was that the wedding staff pulled some last minute strings for us: It had been raining all day. It had let up enough for us to have the ceremony in the gazebo, but not enough to have our cocktail hour and dinner outside as planned. They told me we would have to move it to our back-up location (a conference room), but the conference room I didn't really care for. It had small windows and no view at all. I was disappointed, but willing to go with it because the weather was hardly their fault, and then, they told me that they would move it to another location. One of the restuarants, Oceana, closed at 5pm that day anyway, so they moved it there. It is a pretty open-air patio type restuarant, over looking a pool and the ocean in the distance. It covered us enough to keep the rain off, with plenty of room for danicing and our band. That was really a great touch that just made everything come together, and we were sooo happy they arranged that for us!

So I would highly reccomend anyone considering a Jamaican wedding to pick this resort. I really don't have anything negative to say about the professionalism and friendliness of all of the staff we worked with.

Some other things to consider about the resort itself....we did travel with a wedding party of 10 total. When we went to have meals together, sometimes it was difficult to get a table together, because the restaurants don't take reservations. We usually had to wait a little while, which wasn't too bad, but there was once that we couldn't get in at all and had to split up. The beach (which I had read in some other reviews) was a little on the rocky-side. I didn't give that too much thought when I had read it, becuase where I live the beaches are rocky anyway. But at home I only go to the beach once or twice a week for a few hours, not 8+hours every day for a week! So after a few days my feet started to get a little sensitive to it, so make sure you have comfy shoes!
I was also a bit disappointed with the water sports offered at the resort. Snorkeling was only free if you went on the guided tours, which were only about 30 minutes in the water and most of it was spent swimming to the reef and back. Taking the snorkels out by yourself required a rental fee. Next time, I will just take my own. Kayaking was also nice, but they required you to check in every 15 minutes, which limited how far you could go. I also never saw any windsurfing, and that was something I had really wanted to try.

The food at the resort was excellent....even for me and I'm a vegetarian. I'm also a dessert-atarian and they had plenty of those, too! The resort was laid out quite beautifully, with lots of walking trails and romantic sports and picture opportunities. We never had any problems getting a beach chair at any time of day, which is something I had heard about at other resorts. All of the staff that we encountered were so friendly and accomodating. We really have no complaints about anyone we encountered, and we are looking forward to staying with the Secrets chain for our next vacation!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

To sum this property up, every where you look it is beautiful. You can go into areas that have crowds of people of go for a stroll for some privacy. Personally the Jerk Chicken Cart was very cool to see, friendly staff singing the jerky jerky song. Restaurants accommodated our large group and very much enjoyed the food (buffet had lots of options) Concierge area is highly recommend, just an added touch to your vacation. (free wifi for concierge level :))

Viewed a wedding setup, I don't think a bride could ask for more. This was on the beach, however seeing the entire property there are many places that can be set up for weddings.

I did not use the spa but I got to see it, it is so gorgeous I didn't want to leave. If you choose to not use the spa I recommend getting a pass just to use its facilities.

I can go on and on about this place, but just go see it for yourself!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Overall, an amazing vacation. We landed at the airport, were at the hotel within the hour, checked in, and drinking with new friends on the beach by the afternoon.

Before i start, placing a bet with your wife that whomever says "hey mon" has to do an immediate shot of tequila is not a good idea...lol....By the fifth shot, you start to forget stuff and say it even more...ha ha...oh well, its a vacation.

We stayed at the Preferred Side/Secrets in one of the suites. It was absolutely awesome. We had a living room, bedroom, amazing ocean view, and a gigantic jacuzzi on the balcony. If one of their suites is available, I highly recommend it. We by no means have alot of money and were able to talk the check in people into giving us a great deal at a big discount. We never stayed in one of their properties before and just took a shot at trying to score an upgrade at a big discount. You never know unless you try!!!

The Food: Absolutely awesome food for every meal. We ate at the italian place, hibachi place, and the world cafe for the majority of the meals. Honestly, the world cafe had great selections of fresh fruit and vegetables every meal. We liked to eat alot of healthy food and found that place had the best variety and choices. Recommend that you stop by the world cafe to check what the theme is for dinner IOT make the best decision. The Italian Night was absolutely phenomenal. We lived in Italy for many years and their italian food was on par with Italy. The eggplant was amazingly fresh and perfectly cooked.

Drinks: Never had one problem getting a fast drink or ever running out of ingredients. There are so many bars that you can always find an empty seat to grab. We definitely challenged the pool staff with all the shots we ordered!!! Great job to all the servers and bartenders..>Great crew!!

Gym: Very surprised and happy with the selection of equipment, free weights, towels, etc in the gym. It was never super crowded and if you waited till after breakfast, it was basically empty for you to work out. The stocked refrigerators of water were lifesavers to get rehydrated from partying all night....Very good to see a ton of people running around the hotels in the mornings. Kept us all motivated..

Bed: Bottom line, I want one!!!!! Best sleep ever!

Staff: Some of the nicest people I have ever met. They were all top notch and treated us like rockstars. We never felt pressured to tip anyone but we def did because it guaranteed quick service and timely help no matter where we were.

The beach: You have to get some snorkels and swim around the reefs located 100 meters off the beach. You could spend hours out there just mesmerized at all the fish. We also grabbed some kayaks and cruised around. They are free and also a good workout as you see the hotel and beautiful sea from a different perspective. Recommend you bring your snorkels with you. You can get a very cheap set from walmart; compared to like 30 bucks at the hotel.

Excursions: We didnt do any. We just wanted complete relaxation on the beach every day followed by a night time of partying with new friends and new guests. At night we would just eat dinner, go for some walks, and end up at one of the bars outside meeting new people and enjoying the beauty of the hotels. Definitely make your way down to the water that is lit up by the piano bar. There are literally hundreds of starfish that hug the rocks. Pretty cool.

Shopping: If you smoke cigars or use tobacco, recommend that you bring them with you from home. They are very expensive in jamaica because of import taxes. Bring small bills with you for tips and small purchases. They have an atm on site too but we didnt have to use it. They have a few shops on the grounds but who is on vacation to buy jewelry or some of that other stuff. Just go there and have a good time!!!!!!!!!!!

This was an amazing vacation and would go back there in a heartbeat. Everyone from the guests to the staff were absolutely awesome. Have a great time and remember its a vacation.

Here is the deal about all the bad reviews or people who complain about the resort. There will always be people who have to complain about something. It makes them feel better to find fault in others or something. We all work with that one person who has to complain and cant be pleased no matter how beautiful of a place they are in....If you run into one of those people during your vacation, just get a fresh frozen margarita and find a new place to sit.....They arent worth your time!!!

Morris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I cannot say enough good things about Secrets Wild Orchid. We just spent a week there for our wedding, and we were sooooo sad to go. We are already planning on going back next year for our anniversary!

Wedding: It is a little nerve racking trying to plan a wedding in Jamaica from afar, and I have to admit, I was a little frustrated with the lack of communication from the wedding department prior to arrival. When we got there, however, everything was perfect and I could not have asked for a more beautiful wedding. The wedding department is extremely nice and very accommodating, especially Lisa Marie. We had rainy weather the day of our wedding, but they knew we wanted to get married on the beach so they were able to push things back a bit so we could wait until it stopped raining. I got my hair and makeup done at the salon, and I highly recommend it. Ask for Evette - she is awesome! She made me look absolutely gorgeous. Jardin, the spa manager, is wonderful and checked in on us to make sure everything was going ok. When I received the phone call that we had to move our reception indoors due to the weather, I broke down in tears, and the girls at the salon were right there with a warm herbal neck wrap to relax me, and gave me lots of words of encouragement. The food at our reception was to die for - everyone loved it! The DJ was great - he played all the songs we requested and a lot of other good ones. The only snafu with the reception is that they ran out of beer with an hour left of the reception. We asked for more, but they never brought anymore. My flowers were absolutely gorgeous - I recommend the orchids.

Check-in & Room: Check-in was a breeze. They immediately handed us mimosas to enjoy while we were getting checked in. Our bell hop was Damean (Double D), and he was awesome! He took our luggage to our room and explained everything in the room for us. Every time we passed through the lobby he had to stop and say hey and make sure our trip was going ok. We stayed in room #2522. There was a honeymoon banner across our door when we got there. The room was beautiful, and we had an amazing view of the Wild Orchid pool area and the ocean. We LOVED the bed - it was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on! The mini bar was great and was restocked every day. Housekeeping was wonderful - they cleaned our room every day and it always looked immaculate and smelled wonderful. Air conditioning works great. Loved the balcony. They have handy little racks out on the balcony to hang your wet swimsuits. They have Secrets boxes that they will deliver your room service to if you don't want to be disturbed - such a great feature! There is a privacy light you can turn on, but the light is very hard to see during the day when the sun is shining so there were a couple times they didn't know we had it on.

Drinks: If you're a beer drinker you'll be drinking Red Stripe. My husband and I are avid beer tasters, and this was the first time we had tried Red Stripe. We both really enjoyed it. We both love darker beers, but you will not find any at the resort. We paid a staff member to get us a case of Guinness. We had read about a beer that Red Stripe makes called Dragon Stout, but of course they don't have that at the resort either. We ended up taking a cab to the grocery store to purchase a 4 pack of that. It was a very tasty stout! The mixed and frozen drinks are delicious. My favorite was the Bob Marley. I also really enjoyed the Rum Punch. They do not hold back on the amount of liquor! The staff is also very good about making sure you always have a drink in your hand! It would be nice though if they had more cocktail servers down by the beach.

Food: Room service was OK. I was a little disappointed with the lack of selection. What they did have though was pretty good. I recommend the Dreams Club or the Tuna Sandwich - both very tasty. The World Cafe was a great place for breakfast. It's a huge buffet with every kind of breakfast food you can imagine, including omelets made to order. The muffins and pastries are to die for! We usually ate at Oceana or Seaside Grill for lunch. Seaside Grill had a little more to choose from. The salad bar is very good - I really enjoyed all the fresh pasta salads and seafood salads. It seemed like they had different ones every day. I recommend the King Fish sandwich at Seaside Grill. Also, you have to try these little things, I believe they are called Tastee Patties. They have them in a little warmer box next to the salad bar. It's a fried tortilla type thing with either chicken or beef in it. I miss those things! Blue Mountain restaurant is OK - probably our least favorite. Portofino and Bordeaux were both delicious. You will not go hungry at these places! At all the restaurants you can each order your own appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and dessert. You might as well do it because it's all included! I definitely recommend making a reservation for the hibachi table at Himitsu. The chefs are very nice and very entertaining, and the food is amazing. Our only issue with Himitsu was the waitstaff. They were not very friendly, and it took forever to get chopsticks after we requested them. For the most part we had great service at all the other restaurants. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you are happy and have everything you need.

Entertainment - There was a lot of great entertainment at the resort. Each night they had a different show or musical performance of some kind. The steel drum band was awesome! Make sure you go see them! We really enjoyed the Circus too. They had some amazing performers! Karaoke was pretty good, although they didn't have the greatest song selection, and the acoustics in the Desires night club were not very good for karaoke. Make sure you talk to Alister! He is part of the entertainment department. We became really good friends with him, and he made sure we had a really good time! He was a great emcee and put on great activities during the day such as beer pong and flippy cup. The piano bar was great, although we were disappointed that it didn't start until 10:30pm each night. If you have dinner early, sometimes it is hard to find something to do between dinner and when the entertainment starts.

Pool/Beach: The beach was great, although a little rocky in some places. We loved the chairs that you could pull down into the water so you could lay out while feeling the water at the same time. The pools were very nice. The water was the perfect temperature - refreshing, but not too cold. They had quite a few rafts and noodles floating in the pool that you could use. LOVE the swim-up bar!

Shops: The shops at the resort are all very nice and have a good selection of souvenirs, etc. My only regret was that they had a really poor selection of sizes for women's shirts. I was trying to find a Jamaica Harley Davidson shirt for myself, and all they had were XL and XXL.

All in all we had an amazing trip, and I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. The staff is amazing and everything there is beautiful. We had been planning to try a different Secrets resort for our anniversary, but after spending a week at Wild Orchid we could not imagine going anywhere else. It truly feels like a home away from home, and we were so sad to leave.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

My husband and I just got home from our 5 day stay (July 11-15). Overall, we really don't have many complaints. This will get long, but it's totally worth the read: As others have said, after reading reviews, I was skeptical that this trip was not going to meet mine, or my husband's, expectations. And let me tell you, I'm the first to complain when I'm not happy. I proudly consider myself a snob, and a pretty opinionated critic. Anyways, our check in was a breeze. Our room was not ready, but it was no problem to hang out poolside for a few hours. We were taken to our room, which had the BEST view! The room is just as it looks in the pictures. About the room: the bathroom could definitely use some more lighting. If you are concerned about toilet privacy, you had better get over it. The water closet is nothing but a toilet behind a glass door, which is directly located next to the shower. About the shower: be careful! Getting in to and out of it gets very slippy! And the floor in the bathroom gets very slippy as well. I almost busted my butt quite a few times! The bed as people have stated, is amazing! I seriously think my husband is going to buy one! There is a privacy light for the rooms, which if it is on, should serve it's purpose. But, we received 2 knocks and one walk in while our light was on. Yes, you read that right, a walk in. I was very annoyed to have a man walk right in to my room after barely finishing his knock. The light was on, but it's very hard to see in a daylit hallway. There are door signs for privacy, but someone stole ours. The pool area is lovely. There are definitely not enough blue rafts for use, however. So many people would double up or save one for someone else, and I found myself annoyed on several occasions trying to jump in the pool and bolt to get a raft when someone gave it up. They should definitely invest in about 10 more. The wait staff offering to get you drinks is very slow. There would be times we'd wait a half hour to get a drink we ordered. I might as well have walked to the bar myself. The beach is beautiful, but very rocky both in and out. The sand seems to be man-made so it's very rough and full of shell particles. The beach took some time getting in to and some paying attention while in it to avoid rocks. I'm still wearing bandaids from the cuts I got on my feet in there! But, it's beautiful none the less! The food was hit or miss. We only dined at the World Cafe, Bordeaux, Oceana and Portofino on our stay. The World Cafe was GREAT for breakfast. The scrambled eggs were very gooey, and the toaster was VERY slow. And, it only toasted one side of your bread! Selection was good. Bordeaux was by far our favorite dinner choice. The portions were just right, and it all was very tasty. Oceana was where we did lunch a few days. Not much to choose from, but the guacomole on the cold bar was awesome! I could have just eaten that and been happy. There are birds that fly through looking for handouts, but they didn't bother me. Portofino was terrible. My husband ordered carbonara and literally got noodles and baco-s. Yes, baco-s. I got chicken parmesean. My chicken was delicious, but the pasta was awful and the sauce literally tasted like chef-boyardee. Shopping is pretty so-so. I didn't find much for my taste. The one thing that totally annoyed both myself and my husband, was on the last day we went to the gift shop so I could get some sinus medicine. The medicine was just a single packet, costing $1. We only had a $20 bill. so he handed that to the girl. She told him she had no change for a $20, and that she couldn't go to another store and make any change because then those stores wouldn't have any money. He went to the front desk and they would not help him there either. They wanted him to go the money exchange counter where we would have to get Jamaican dollars. Therfore losing money on the deal! He got pretty irate and the bellman jumped in and got us change from one of the excursion tour people. It was a very annoying situation! When we got back to the store, there was a guy in line who was trying to pay with a $50 bill. He was purchasing more than what we were, and convenitently the girl was able to walk to another store and get change for him. Right in front of us! So, I guess if we had been spending more money, she could have helped us!? Ok, on to photographs. We were approached at Bordeaux to get sunset photos the next day. We showed up at 5:30 as were were told, and Christopher was our photographer. At 5:30 the sun is nowhere near setting, so this was a total waste of our time. He put us in 4 different locations, and did the same 3 poses at each one. Needless to say, we hated the pictures and we were pretty disappointed we didn't have such a special souvenier to take home with us. We did see some other beautiful pictures on the screens, so my advice to you would be to NOT get Christopher. Man, I really wish we got some good sunset romantic pictures like others were. I think this about sums up my review. All in all, yes we would go back to this resort. The biggest advice I can give you is to make sure you carry smaller bills. We only had $20s, and that proved to be a pain in more situations than one. EVERYBODY practically begs for a tip (even though that's supposed to be included in the price of your stay). The front desk not willing to make us change and forcing us to only have the exchanging as an option only ruined our ability to tip their staff. But, having traveled internationally before and stayed at all-inclusives, this is the first place where staff was 1)allowed to accept tips and 2) practically begged and expected them!

Room Tip: anything on the 5th floor in building 2 offeres GREAT views! We had room 2526
Queens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

THIS IS A LONG REVIEW, BUT READ IT IF YOU WANT SOME TRUTH. my travels were 7/7-7/14. Before we booked we read many reviews on this site, I was a bit timid on booking the trip based on reviews. BUT, here is our take on the resort.
4/5 STARS: The room was out of this world!! We did get lucky with our room facing the sunset. Not all rooms do. The service was 5 star!! The bars, dinner(some places), and front desk. We did arrive early but our room was not ready. Not their fault. So what else was there to do??? Drink, eat, and swim until it was ready. The resort itself has everything you need from quite areas to the Piano Bar(nice place). The beach and pool bar was great!! Overall could not ask for more. The World cafe was the best breakfast and lunch in the resort. Great selection and variety. Food room service was awesome. Call at anytime and ask for things that are NOT on the menu and you might get lucky(like NY strip steaks) and check your Secret Box, you will understand when you go!!The Himitsu and Bordeaux was awesome. Fresh food from the kitchen!!! BUT READ BELOW
2/3 STARS: Room service for us was not up to par. We had to ask for our room to be cleaned. In a resort such as SWO, why would someone have to ask!!! The food at the rest. was not a 4/5 star quality. The Blue Mountain food came out precooked and just heated for us. Service was good but food not worth it. World Cafe dinner was less than stellar as well. Look, I dont ask for much but the food should be fresh is all someone would want.
Daily entertainment: If you are looking for a party atmosphere with music and beer pong, this is not the place, thank goodness!! The nite life is perfect for what one might need or want to do.
OVERALL: I cant wait to go back again. Ask for Joseph as your bell hop and good times will happen. Hope this review helped.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011 via mobile

Love the resort. Love the staff. This was my second trip to Secrets. First time was February to celebrate my birthday. Had so much fun, i had to return. This time it was to relax. The resort is safe and clean. The property and views are beautiful. Love my secret box. The food is good and so is the services. Ask for Richard in the spa he has magic hands. Mr.Robert Coates is an excellent customer relations manager ,he should be GM. Thank u for making my vacation in mo-bay more better. Great room. Great bed. Great beach. Shout out to Bigga. "Don't work to hard, will be back with big tips". One-Love.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!