“A New Paradise – Secrets Resort at Jamaica” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
New York City, New York
“A New Paradise – Secrets Resort at Jamaica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We arrived at Secrets Wild Orchid very shortly. It's an adult only all-inclusive resort. We must say that we came with very high expectations based on their site and they exceeded our expectations. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted with bubbly champagne and fresh tower at the Preferred Club Desk. After we check in we were escorted to our rooms and boy oh boy, the room is magnificent with a breathtaking ocean front view. We just can't wait to watch the sunset from our balcony.

The resort is so beautiful and very well kept. I have been to Puerto Rico and Puna Cana in the past, but the beach at Secrets is the most beautiful I've seen. I'm not a swimmer nor can I float, so I never set myself into the ocean. However, the water is so clear here that I don't mind going inside. So if you like snorkeling this is the perfect beach. With that being said, there are also plenty of chairs and hotel staff by the beach for us to relax and enjoy this island paradise.

The food and drinks were absolutely amazing at the restaurant and the bar. We had so much food at Secrets Wild Orchid. Since it's all-inclusive, we are basically non-stop eating and drinking everyday. The breakfast buffet offers so much variation, there is always something we like. Dinner were pretty decent cuisine. Some were outstanding, especially the Jamaican food. The Preferred Club Lounge always has good snack choices and yummy desert all day long. I love their finger sandwiches, chicken and wild selection of cakes.

There are five restaurant for dinner, which are Jamaican, Mexican, French and Japanese. My least favorite is probably the Portofino Italian restaurant – that's because I been to Rome, Florence and Tuscany. I had so much italian food in Italy so I am just comparing them to what I had in Italy. Overall it's still a good dinner. Room service was excellent, we had our breakfast delivered to our room and breakfast at our balcony facing the ocean was a unforgettable experience.

In summary, we had real relaxation, beautiful sunsets and amazing beach. What more can we ask for from this beautiful resort?
For mroe pictures please check out my blog at http://su.pr/8h6kYQ & http://su.pr/9JjdRU

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,542)
Delphos, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

‎"It is my pleasure".....but it was really OUR (my husband and I) pleasure to stay at SWO. My husband and I just returned from our stay from May 29th thru June 3rd. We loved the resort and did not want to leave! We stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach in 2009 for our honeymoon....and if you have stayed there and loved it, you will not be disappointed in SWO. The only difference is the culture and the beach! But SWO is a wonderful resort and we will definately return if visiting Jamaica again! From the time we stepped onto the property to the time we boarded our shuttle to the airport, we were greeted with nothing but smiles, warm welcomes and responses of "no problem" and/or "It is my pleasure!" The service is very impressive!

The food was delicious with a wide variety for everyone! The drinks were not watered down as I have heard some mention! We tried a variety of new drinks and were not disappointed! While there, if you like frozen drinks, try the Jamaican Smile, the Dirty Banana, and the Bob Marley! Delish! Could not get enough!

I have also heard some mention that the rooms are not cool enough, but the key is to keep the doors to the balcony closed. If they are kept open the AC automatically shuts off!

No worries about the weather.....it may rain a little but typically does not rain all day! It is a tropical location after all....don't sweat the small stuff! And even if it does rain, there are plenty of activities that are planned in preparation. Or just belly up to the bar...."no problem mon!"

There are some shops that offer a variety of souvenir items without the need to leave the property! One night local vendors were on the property to purchase your little piece of Jamaica! We found some quality souvenirs!

During our stay we also visited the Spa which is five star! The atmosphere is very relaxing! Our Swedish massages were so relaxing we followed up with a nap in our room ....in that bed! Oh yes, that bed that I wish we could have taken with us!

So if you are considering this resort, this is the place to be! You will not be disappointed!

Brazoria, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

We spent 5 nights at Secrets Wild Orchid at the end of May. This is a very nice resort, so convenient to the Sangster International Airport. We are very accustomed to the hour and a half typical ride to a resort (Negril, Ocho Rios, Runaway Bay, etc.) that this 15 minute trip was a breeze.
Once at the resort, our luggage was handled efficiently leaving us to go about checking in. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful, explaining all the features of the resort. Since our room was not ready, we went to lunch at the buffet. No problem finding something there we liked. The only complaint was that it was a little warm inside. Air conditioning would have felt nice. With lunch over we went back and got the pass to our room. Luggage followed promptly. (Admittedly I find it strange that they have a check-in time of 3:30, and you shouldn't expect to get into a room before that. Since we all arrive by plane, we have no choice on when we will show up at the resort. Is there no way to accommodate travelers who arrive at 2:00, or 1:00? Everyone doesn't check out at the same time. so rooms shouldn't all be ready at the same time. Seems like it could be managed a little different)
The rooms are very nice, well appointed, with a fantastic view. I should ad that we stayed on the Preferred Club side, and I enjoyed the selection. Very comfortable bed, excellent shower, and a well stocked mini-fridge. We never lacked for anything. I did notice that the mini-fridge did not keep drinks very cold. Because it uses electronics as a cooling medium (vice a compressor) it can only lower the temperature inside the fridge about 30 degrees cooler than the outside. The fridge is placed inside an enclosed section which traps heat. If the inside of the cabinet is around 90 degrees, the drinks will only get about 60, at the minimum. Leaving the door to the cabinet ajar let the heat escape, and the fridge cooled much better. They should provide for better ventilation.
We ate at several of the restaurants and liked them all. The only one you need an invitation for is the Hibachi style table. But you can also eat at that Asian restaurant without reservations if you dine at one of the regular tables. There you will choose from the menu, where at the Hibachi table your only choice is what type of soup you want. Another consideration is that at the Hibachi tables, they are on a schedule, so if you want to enjoy a slow meal, you will find yourself being given hints that it is time to move on. They must set up for the next presentation. But the presentation was very entertaining. The two chefs were back to back working their own tables, but played off each other which added to the humor. We also liked the French restaurant, where we had the Chateaubriand steak. Delicious. Admittedly, the wine left something to be desired. You would think that a luxury resort would serve better wine. Although palatable, it was weak and lacked body. Definitely an area for improvement. As many of the reviews have stated, the food is good. Not over-the-top cuisine, but good. We enjoyed our meals.
The resort has distinctly different areas. The main pools by the Wild Orchid and St. James areas are larger and attract more activities. The Preferred Club area is smaller and much quieter. We enjoyed the ability to get where it was quiet and relax.
Since we are divers we inquired about some dives at the onsite PADI office. A one tank dive was $85. We have stayed at many resorts where diving was included. We didn't do any diving on this trip.
In my opinion, the strongest asset of the resort is the staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. We found friendly greetings everywhere, and felt welcome. They made for a very pleasant experience.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

I recently stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid over Memorial Day weekend for 5 nights. Prior to my vacation I read the reviews on tripadvisor, both good and bad, so I went with an open mind.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with champaigne and friendly staff. We arrived about an hour and a half before check-in, but had no problems checking in early and were checked in within minutes. My room was beautiful. The King size bed was so comfortable; great mattress and plenty of pillows. I normally don't sleep well in hotels, but i was so comfortable that I slept like a baby every night. The shower was nice and I liked the rain spout and it had no mold or draining problems (which I had read about in other reviews). Also, the whirpool tub was excellent - I took many baths before bed and on the morning that I left. Also, my refrigerator was stocked with coke, diet coke, sprite, fanta, bottled water and red stripe everyday. It was not the coldest temperature but the drinks were cold enough.

The beaches and pools were beautiful and clean. I never had any problems getting beach chairs. Also, the water activities were great. The Kayaking was so relaxing and the snorkeling was fun. Unfortunately, It wasn't windy enough to sail. :( I also did a star fish gazing tour which was nice.

As for the food, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. I have no complaints. The breakfast buffet offers so much, there is something you will like. The coffee counter was also great. I had a frappacino every morning and it was as good as what I am used to from StarBucks. My least favorite restaurant was the French one- but I would not say that it was horrible. My advice is that if you don't like something, order something else, and order as much as you like, after all you paid for it! The 24/7 room service does have a limited menu but I found it to be fine. My food was always delivered w/in 20/30 min.

The spa was excellent. Definitely do the water, sauna and steam room circuit prior to your spa treatment. I had a 50 min. swedish massage and it was wonderful.

The entertainment was better than I thought. We watched the silver bird steel drumb orchestra band and it was a wonderful show. A definite must see if they are performing during your stay. Check your itinerary that you receive every night for the next day's activities and entertainment to plan accordingly! I wasn't able to do the yoga, bicycle tour and pilates b/c I took a tour to Black River and Appleton Rum Estate (which i recommend.).

I don't know what else to say except that I cannot wait to go back. The resort is beautiful and clean and the staff is so wonderfuland friendly. The people who gave negative reviews must be very hard to please and plain negative people. As others have said, some people just cannot be pleased. Also, I am sure there are glitches here and there ( (such as those who wrote reviews about having items stolen or air conditioning problems, etc). The staff seemed to be willing to go out of their way to make sure any problems were resolved promptly. I have worked at a hotel before and it is very difficult to always please people.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
San Angelo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

This was our honeymoon. I have been to several nice all inclusive resorts and I will not recommend this place to anybody. I will keep this pretty short because I don't want to get too angry about the thousands of dollars I wasted on this crappy vacation. First off, everybody that works on or for the resort wants a tip. So now you have to carry cash around at all times so they guys that helps you get in and out of the kayak has his fair share of tips he is looking to get. This was one of the more frustrating things for me. Next, the food everywhere was awful. It all tasted pretty boring and I would have been much happier eating at a chili's or something. Some of the employees were nice but a lot were not friendly at all. If you need to use the internet its .50 cents a minute in the cyber cafe. The beach is very rocky and you need water shoes to get through. The pictures online do not show the extra chairs squished together to overpopulate any given area. Housekeeping sometimes didn't happen until 7 at night, turn down sometimes until 10pm. The stocked mini fridge consist of 4 red stripe beers and water and a couple of sodas. The bathrooms were bad, the shower constantly flooded and the toilet had very little privacy. This was a Saturday - Saturday trip and I was ready to go home on Tuesday. Yes ready to leave on Tuesday. If you have never been to a great place that truly is paradise or haven't been anywhere I am sure you will find this place okay. If I were to recommend a place to vacation or honeymoon in Jamaica I will tell you Couples Resort Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica. It was paradise and I never wanted to leave. I have sent 6 couples there for their honeymoons or vacations and none of them have had a single negative thing to say about it. I didn't go there on this trip because I went with a girlfriend a few years ago and I didn't want to take my wife to the same place. If I were to do it again I would just take her back and deal with it. I am not sure she will ever want to go back to Jamaica because of the experience we had at Secrets Wild Orchid. Please do not go to Secrets Wild Orchid, enjoy yourself beyond what you thought possible and go to Couples Swept Away.

Room Tip: dont go
DAL71
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a long Memorial Day weekend at Secrets Wild Orchid and the resort definitely met our expectations. I had read a number of complaints about the resort from people who stayed there fairly soon after it opened, and I was concerned that they would still be working through some issues. Things are definitely running more smoothly now. The property is beautiful, the food is mostly very good and the staff are very responsive. My wife and I were hoping for a very relaxing time away from our daughter and that is exactly what we had. Location with respect to the airport is also a plus. We would definitely recommend this resort.

Silver Spring, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Beautiful resort. godfrey at the bar is the man, but their welcome agent Carteria,Shearlene the resevation specialist and Marlene should be fired for unprofessionalism.They decevied me about adjusting my reservation. I had to pay for an extra night due to a cancelled flight, that was communicated to shearlene the day of the cancellation. Shearlene did not make the correct adjustment to the reservation.She charged me for the night missed and was not understanding to the position I was in. I will NEVER visit Jamaica again, as beautiul as it is, NEVER.

Room Tip: Look at the pictures through a multiple resources.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!