“Awesome hotel, great spa” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Marlboro, New Jersey
“Awesome hotel, great spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Despite having travelled the world I never made it to the Caribbean and this was our first all-inclusive do-nothing re-charge getaway.
We stayed for 4 days and was very impressed. The staff is great and friendly and everyone and everything really is "Yah Mon No Problem Mon !"
The only tiniest complaint I have is that the food could have been better, but then again I may be spoilt with all the fine dining I have access to in Manhattan. Breakfast is buffet and The World Cafe and El Patio are actually the same restaurant but the switch the entrances around to give the illusion of 2 separate restaurants at meal times.Full selection of restaurants is only available during dinner. There is an italian and french restaurant which we didn't try but did try Blue Mountain Cafe which serves Jamaican inflluenced fare. Hitmitsu is said to be Japanese but serves mainly Thai with Teppanyaki.
There is a poolside cafe for lunch and ofcourse free room service (limited menu though), The Jerky-Man and Coconut-Man were great and the real highlight as the walked up and down the pool/beach area selling hot jerk chicken and fresh coconut water.
The beaches are GLAMOROUS and beautiful and romantic. Does get crowded but if you walk around you can find some great chaise lounges. Its a big resort and the spa is fantastic. I had a facial and massage and was in heaven. Do try the hydro therapy circuit.
Not much to do in Mo Bay. I refuse to do silly Spring Break things like going to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville but a lot of people (young honeymooners especially) went there en force. My husband and I ventured into downtown Mo Bay and ate patties at a local bakery and got some reggae music but there isn't much to do and the flea market is 126 shops sellling the exact same things.
For sightseeing you have to go to Ochos Rios to see Dunns Falls and Negril for the beaches, etc.
All in all I give this hotel 4.5 stars. We had some minor issues with housecleaning, etc but nothing to keep me away from this place. We went for R&R and definately got it. Food was good, the hotel excellent and new, staff super-friendly, GORGEOUS GORGEOUS beach.
Hope this helped !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
Detroit, Mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

We just returned from a 6-day trip to Secrets Montego Bay - Wild Orchid. To qualify this review, this was my first experience at an all-inclusive resort. Overall, I was very pleased the facilities and the experience. The views were unparalleld and the resort is modern and clean. One benefit of staying in Montego Bay is that you are a quick drive from the airport, and after traveling all day, it was nice to be so close to the airport to start the vacation. May was also a great time to visit - the weather was beautiful and the resort was not crowded.

The staff is well trained and they are committed to ensuring you enjoy your experience. Some servers are more engaging than others, but in general the service is of a high quality. I agree with similar comments that tips do tend to lead to better service, but that didn't really bother me,

The rooms were lovely and the private balcony was fantastic. Ladies will appreciate the great hair dryers in the room - the best I have ever used in a hotel. There is also a soaking tub for those who want to relax instead of taking a shower, which was great.

Room service can be a bit slow, but it is very nice to have the option to order in - especially the late night menu if you have been out partying. The food was decent - what I would expect from any place that is cooking for that many people at one time. We ate out at one of the restaurants every night and had wonderful meals and so-so meals. We decided the food overall was hit and miss based on what you ordered. I think each restaurant has 3 great entrees/appertizers and the rest is just above average. My favorite restaurants were Blue Mountain (Jamaican cuisine) and Himatsu (Asian.) The daily lunch and breakfast buffet was very comprehensive with lots of options to choose from - and fare of various types. The buffet always featured some type of traditional American fare, and some kind of "traditional" Jamaican dish and a wide array in between. The jerk chiken is amazing!! There is a cart that comes around in the afternoon offering jerk chicken - get it. It is also the same as the jerk chicken you can order from room service, but getting it off the cart is a litle more fun and guaranteed to be hot.

The spa is amazing! There are a series of steam rooms and hydro pools that you get the chance to enjoy before you go into your spa service. My massage Swedish massage was good. My husband was not pleased with his deep tissue massage - too harsh. The spa is overpriced, but it's a nice treat to give yourself. Beware - if you have spa credits they do not apply to "salon" services. This includes manicures, pedicures, etc. Overall, a wonderful experience at a great resort.

Room Tip: The further away from the pool the better.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

My wife and I spent our Honeymoon with secrets Wild Orchid from May 9th - May 16th. This resort was everything we expected. We did not experience any of the problems mentioned in other reviews. When we arrived we where taken straight to our rooms. The room itself was beautiful. The secrets box along with the privacy light where fully explained to us. The staff was exceptional and the grounds where beautiful. We had no problem finding a spot on the beach, and couldn't finish a drink before someone was coming by to get us another one.

There have been some negative reviews on the food, but I didn't see the any grounds for them. Service was quick, and the food was very good. It was not over the top exceptional, but if you can't find something that you like at each restaurant you are to picky!! The serving sizes where plentiful, and if not you can easily get something else. The room service menu is limited, but there is enough to choose from if you wish to use it. Room service delivery was always prompt.

Some people have complained about ants and Mosquitoes.... We had no problem with ants. we just made sure not to leave any food out in the room. When you are done with it just put your dishes in the secrets box. We did not get bit by one mosquito the whole time we where there. They sprayed nightly and there was never a problem.

If you are on your honeymoon the eternity package is worth it. We had a moonlight dinner on the beach just the 2 of us. I won't ruin it for you but they have a nice surprise for you included with your dinner.

Don't be run off by bad reviews. This place is paradise!!!!

Room Tip: Wild Orchid Prefered is the best choice
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011 via mobile

My new husband and I went to Wild Orchid on our honeymoon. We arrived on the 8th. My husband has never been out of the US and I selected the resort as a surprise for him. It turned into a nightmare!

I have traveled to many all inclusive resorts and all of them I would rate top notch. I expected the same of Secrets WO and was more than disappointed. As others have stated, the rooms are ok but the bathrooms are not. The shower got clogged everytime taking a shower, the toilet smelled of sewage all of the time and the housekeepers didn't clean well. There was always a film on the floor and the room stayed warm. It wasn't permitted to adjust the temperature so it was usually uncomfortable at night sleeping.

The food was AWFUL! The restaurants were miserably hot and the pool didn't have a swim up bar on both sides. If you were in the bigger pool, you had to get out of the pool in order to get a drink. The service wasn't anything special and if you needed something right away, good luck! No one was ever in a hurry to help with anything.

The end of our honeymoon began with a day trip and upon arrival back to our room, we noticed a piece of our luggage was missing and had been stolen. A neighbor of ours noticed us talking to friends of ours about the incident and told us that she witnessed someone crawling through our "secrets" box with our door propped open. They were wearing khaki pants. We immediately contacted management and throughout the night dealt with multiple people of management and no one seemed to care or knew what to do. We asked for the police to be involved and about 5 detectives came and fingerprinted the room, looked around, took a detailed report, completed an incident report and then asked us to come back in the morning to talk with upper level management who had already been briefed on the theft. Upon arrival, the management had no clue of the situation and once we discussed it with them, they offered no resolution or monetary compensation for our loss or stay. The GM then had the nerve to say, "since I'm not doing anything, can I go back home on my off day?". We were furious! The values of items stolen were upwards of $2500 and they had nothing to say. We asked for documents to take home before leaving so we had record of the incident and they refused to provide us with anything. This was an absolute nightmare to our already disappointing first trip as husband and wife. I would absolutely NEVER recommend anyone go to this resort and I hope those that already have booked a trip be safe and trust no one.. Worst vacation EVER!

• Stayed May 2011
Richboro, Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I was kind of scared before going to this resort due to the reviews I read, but after arrival I can't believe that this is the same hotel with the bad reviews. The service upon entering could not be anymore friendly, we had a ocean front room that was just breathtaking, the room was cleaned everyday with turn down service at night, the food at the restaurants was good and the bar service was friendly with top shelf liquor. The resort was full but we never had to get up early for a chair and there was always floats available in the pool. We been to other Secrets and Excellence resorts and we will definitely return to Wild Orchid

Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

If you are a professional traveler constantly staying at all -inclusives and comparing each one to the next, you will probably find many things to complain about. However, if you are looking for a beautiful resort and a relaxing escape from home, I definitely suggest Wild Orchid/St. James, especially for couples. The rooms are gorgeous and, while the bathroom may seem open to some, the style is very flowy and modern. DO bring many $1 bills as getting change at the resort is literally impossible. Tipping was everywhere, although there were plenty of times where we just didnt have money or would get them once for multiple rounds. Some of the staff was SO fantastic though we found ourselves returning nightly just to visit! Food was alright, we did stumble across a few meals that were better than others. For lunch there is no better option than the jerk cart. The pool cafes for lunch are pretty bad but dinners are better. Its hit or miss, but if you dont like something, order something else! You MUST find the cart where the guy cracks coconuts open and gives you a shot of rum and a straw. So delicious. Play the games by the pool... you win bottles of Rum you can take home! Preferred Club was only worthwhile because we got the honeymoon package included with the upgrade, otherwise really everything is shared. Spa was excellent too. Resort was so empty and peaceful in the week. Great destination for couples who want to chill and relax and meet some great people. I would return to another Secrets in a heartbeat.

Williamstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011 via mobile

Just got home. Wish we stayed longer. The staff is very nice and helpful. A few of the bartenders were not sociable but maybe it was an off day for them. The beach waitresses were excellent. The spa was great. I loved my massage. The food was good. It isn't chef ramsay or iron chef but its good. Portions are small. The jerk chicken cart is awesome. Dinner takes a long time. Service is slow so just be prepared. All in all the hotel is clean gorgeous and the view is spectacular. We will definately go back. We really had fun.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!