We were married at and spent two weeks at Wild Orchid. First week in the regular Wild Orchid junior suite and the 2nd week at the Wild Orchid Preferred junior suite. I want to be very clear we were blown away how great this resort was we give them a 98%. My issues are VERY minor, but they were the only reason I couldn't give a 100%. I would recommend this resort to everyone.
We had 21 people in our group, every single person said the either Wild Orchid was either the very best, or tied with the best resort they have ever been to.
GETTING TO THE RESORT: don't let the red hat guys at the airport touch your luggage, they basically hold your luggage for ransom until you give them a tip that they feel is acceptable (and they only take your bags about 60m/100ft). Move your own bags.
WEDDING: We booked our wedding here, at the beginning we were really nervous about giving up control of the wedding planning to someone we had never met. But it turned out fantastic in the end. During the planning there were some communication issues, turns out that that there were some internet server issues at Wild Orchid. Lisa-Marie, Sheerene, and Sade in the Weddings dept. were fantastic, we were so happy with our wedding we went back to thanks them multiple times. BTW Rev. Gordon was great and made us feel so special. He took a couple hours of his own time to get to know us a couple days before the wedding (none of which he was required to do, nor did we expect it). Rev Gordon was very realistic and told us to expect only about 90% of what we arranged for to work out to to unavoidable issues, but we hit 99.8% Our advise, don't do what we did, just relax, it really will work out. Within 5 min of meeting the wedding ladies we were calm and confident in their abilities. If you are getting married get the ultimate package... it is fantastic. But add on the steel drum band, it is really worth it. Also the pictures and DVD taken through the resort are phenomenal.
Issues: The only area of improvement is the the website still illustrates purple orchids as an example for tropical flowers (included in the ultimate wedding package). Due to decreased availability, orchids are only available at an additional cost, and the only flowers included are daisies and carnations. When we left the website wedding guide was still advertising the orchids/tropical flowers, hope that they have changed it now.
WILD ORCHID JUNIOR SUITE ROOM: Room was great, view was great. Bed is probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on away from home. Our room was made up very fancy our the night prior to the wedding and the wedding night (I'm not going to ruin the surprise).
1. Housekeeping only came once every 2 days and did not mop the floor (quite dirty). I know I could have called the front desk to have them come, but should I have to? We were very attentive to whether our privacy light was on.
2. Check in took almost one hour, even though all 3 desks were functioning.
3. It would have been nice to have either been told or have a guide as to how to use the room ex. what the secrets box is for, how to use the A/C panel, etc.
4. Air conditioning control did not function right (and did not function right in the majority of the rooms of our group)
5. Surround sound control did not function (only functioned in 1 out of the 11 rooms in our group)
6. When housekeeping was called they only actually showed up 1 out 3 times.
WILD ORCHID PREFERRED JUNIOR SUITE: Room was great, but the room itself not worth the increased cost from the regular wild orchid. What was worth the extra money was the staff. At the front desk Peta-Ann and Shanique (I hope I spelled her name right) went so far above and beyond expectation. They were so polite and really cared that you were having a great time. We will really miss them, I wish we could have taken them home with us. Garfield (bellboy) was awesome, talked with him for a while. Not only was he a great help and a great person, he believed in the resort and his work so much that he gave us his contact info in order to help show the resort to prospective vacationers looking at wild orchid. He said "I will even take pictures of the resort and email it to them and many of the pictures online don't do this resort justice". In my opinion Garfield should not be a bellboy, he should be managing resort promotions. Niron the minibar guy was very friendly, always made us smile when he came in the room. He made every effort to make us happy even if it wasn't his job. If someone in another dept made a mistake Niron took it upon himself to fix it, but not to the expected level. His wanted it fixed to 150%. A great guy.
1. lots of ants and mosquitoes in the rooms even though the patio doors were never opened. I literally mean thousands of ants. The housekeepers called them sugar ants. We had 2 different types of ants, and each night about 10-15 mosquitoes in our room. They were everywhere, tables, vanity, bed, dresser, and in our luggage After multiple sprayings the ants were down to 10's-100's. The staff and management were very concerned and did their best to address the situation. Spraying got rid of mosquitoes completely, but it seemed as if the ants enter the room through the secrets box and look for anything sweet in the room. I am still covered in bites. While some insects are expected in tropical climates, but when my wife lifts her purse and the table is swarming with ants, this is a problem. There were no ants or mosquitoes at the regular wild orchid rooms and we were on the same floor in both buildings.
2. Housekeepers were fantastic compared to the the normal Wild Orchid, they were in twice a day, everyday. But they did not wipe counter tops even though they were very aware of the ant issues and this the where ants were being found. Even when we had the privacy light on, the housekeepers would keep knocking. Even when they tried to open the door and the lock was on they still kept knocking until someone answered to door (was woken up 4 times).
RESTAURANTS: I found all the food was great in all restaurants. The service was exceptional as well. My personal favorites the Portifino and Himitsu. But also do not miss mexican or surf and turf night at the World Cafe. Our waiter for our Romantic Dinner was Gavin, I have never seen a person in my life work so hard to make 2 people happy.
Issues: 1. Information in the Sundial (daily paper giving restaurants and other info) was not accurate quite often. Ex. 3 times we walked to Seaside restaurants as the Sundial said it was open. Everytime it was closed.
2. The resort said that they may close restaurants for supper at times of low hotel occupancy. We were told several times by several front desk staff that both St. James, St. James Preferred, Wild Orchid, and Wild Orchid Preferred were all running at full capacity. Yet in 14 days Seaside was not open for supper once, Oceana was only open 3 times (that I noticed). However a couple of times they were booked for private functions. Instead we were told that there was a 1.5 hour wait for any other sit down restaurant (other than the buffet). I wish that at least either Oceana or Seaside were open but serving both restaurants menus. Seaside has been our favorite restaurant at any amRESORTS resort.
3. Too often restaurants were running out of certain foods, Ex. Lamb in Bordeaux, Duck in Bordeaux, Lamb on our Romantic dinner, nachos for room service, Calamari at Seaside, Club Sandwiches at Seaside
Thanks so much everyone at Wild Orchid, especially Lisa-Marie, Sheerene, Sade, Peta-Ann, Shanique, Garfield, Gavin, Niron. We WILL be seeing you again soon.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Splendia so you can book your Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay Hotel Montego Bay