“Beautiful hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets St James

You added Secrets St James to your Saves list
Secrets St James
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lot A59 Freeport, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Secrets St James the first week of July. The hotel had been open for only a few months and still had a few kinks to work out but all in all we had a great time. We stayed in the Preferred Club section and our room was on the first floor next to the pool. At first we weren't sure if we would like being so close but since this was the Preferred Club pool it wasn't very crowded. The pool was beautiful and the service was exceptional...the drinks were great and you didn't have to wait very long to get them poolside. The 4th of July celebration was amazing....everything was decorated in red, white and blue and there was a parade through the hotel and around the pools and fireworks at night after the entertainment. The staff really went out of their way to make it a special celebration for the Americans staying at the resort. We talked to other travelers on the plane that stayed at other hotels and told them about Secrets celebration and were told that the hotel they stayed at didn't even acknowledge the 4th of July.

Most of the restaurants were really good but there were a few that were not so good. Since this is a new resort they are still working to train newly hired staff and I'm sure it will improve with time and experience.

We thought the room arrangement was a little strange. The bathroom has a frosted glass door enclosure for the toilet and one for the shower to give you privacy but the jetted tub is out in the open and seperated from the room by only a sheer curtain. Not a problem for my husband and I but not a great arrangement for friends traveling together.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
WOconcierge, Manager at Secrets St James, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Good evening:

Please receive warm greetings from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay.

We wish to express our thanks to you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor. This is much appreciated as is gives other guests considering vacationing at our Resort, an opportunity to make an even more informed decision.

We are very happy to note that you did enjoy your time with us and trust that you will make us a part of your destination vacation plans in the very near future.

We do acknowledge your comment on the quality of our food, and wish to advise you that guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us. Your review has been seen by our Food & Beverage Director, and necessary steps have already been taken to improve on the overall quality of our service.

Once again, our sincere thanks for making us your Resort of choice and we do look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Caulette Mornan
Social Networking Econcierge
Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay
econcierge.sesmb@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,440)
Charleston, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

Okay let me first say ... whomever the person is that gave this place a bad review and said it was a horrible vacation..you obviously did not have nearly the experience that we and many others have had. My husband and I are hotel snobs.. and yes... were were a little worried after reading a few negative reviews... but GO....we stayed preferred in the St James building and really liked that this pool was laid back and relaxing. The St James and Wild Orchid Pool is where the action will be. We like a little variety and that is exactly that you get at this wonderful resort. The people are nice.. but they don't bug you on the preferred side...We had Pizza and Jerk Chicken poolside, at the beach - whatever you want mon :) The restaurants are wonderful, the best food at an all inclusive hands down. You will not get bored... I am here right now and as I look out over the water after just running a hot bath on my balcony ... I wonder how could anyone could not love this place ;) Internet is including if you stay preferred... and playboy channel is free.. if you are into that sort of thing...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Econcierge_Assistant, E-Concierge Administrative Assistant at Secrets St James, responded to this review, December 7, 2010

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience through trip advisor and for selecting our hotel. We have a great team in place and we are working hard day in and day out to exceed our client’s expectations. It is extremely important for us to offer those one-of-a-kind experiences. We really appreciate your time and your comments and we look forward to your return.

plantation
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

secrets was told to me by my travel agent, that it was brand new and very nice.

well it is new although it looks like a bunch of students came out and put it together, without thought of any professionaliam. ie: if you sit in the lobby of the piano bar and look up it seems as though they where in a hurry to get done that day and the plaster is not correct so they just painted over it as well as large cracks in the walls.
ok so thats not a lot to ruin your vacation, but waiting ALL day to have your room done is! my wife and i called from 3 pm till around 7 pm with no service whatso ever other than the lip service we got from the people on the other end of the phone as well as the front desk, we finally found some woman walking around with a radio and told her of our problem and it was half assed made up for the night.
so we had no fresh towels for that a.m. and no room made up at all except when my wife found this woman to complain about the room problem.

no iwould efinatly spend my money at any of the sandals franchises other than this place.
room service sucked big time as well.

Erie, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

Let me start by saying we read the negative reviews here and were a little worried. When we got there it was great! They meet you with champagne and you sit and drink it as they check you in! Awesome start! The room was beautiful! They all have great views - some are just closer to the food area. No big deal - after all the eating and drinking I needed to walk! The food was fantastic! I love the romantic outside seating with dinner by candlelight. I felt so spoiled. We had one small problem at check - in - our room had no garbage can. When we told them, they brought us one. We didn't have a stopper for our soaking tub either, but a wash cloth worked! These were only small things that really didn't mean too much. Overall we loved it and plan on going back in the spring!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Econcierge_Assistant, E-Concierge Administrative Assistant at Secrets St James, responded to this review, November 25, 2010

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

We had an excellent one week stay at the Secret St James. Though the resort is frequented by couples mostly on special occasions, 4 of us family/friends had an equally good time and did not feel out of place at all.
I have difficulty equating the description of the resort by the previous reviewer to the experience we had. Nothing could have been more different. We found the service excellent and as this was sold to us as a "no tipping" resort we also experienced no demands or expectation of tips. The staff were uniformly of a high standard offering a cheerful and personalised service.
The beach is heavenly, the sun beds plentiful, the sea warm and transparently clean. The activities appeared fun, but there was no need to feel you had to participate. This was no holiday camp (British travellers will understand what I mean by this!) atmosphere, but a resort in which you could participate in whatever was your way of holidaying.
The food was of a high standard and on the very odd occasion where it was not haute cuisine then the ambience of the well appointed themed restaurants more than made up for it. I can really recommend the French restaurant where we dined twice it was so good. And though the food is geared to the US palate, it is nonetheless very good indeed. The choice was beyond expectation.
The rooms are large and open onto a balcony all having sea view. There was one anomaly in the room (see attached photo) meaning you would have to know your room mate pretty well. Fine for couples but when you pitch up with just a friend the open sided bathroom was a bit of a surprise. There is a translucent door to both the shower and the toilet compartment but the whirlpool bath and sinks are behind a transparent curtain and no wall so the bathroom is in effect open to the room. We suggested a blackout curtain as an option to pull across for greater privacy and I believe the management would be well advised to take heed of this observation as I believe it to be the one and only aspect which would cause me to have reservations about this resort.
And though we were not in the wedding market I can think of few more wonderful spots than on the gazebo overlooking the water with family and friends with you all enjoying a perfect holiday.
For those like me sadly needing to work too the wifi was brilliant. Costs $15 per day but (sad I know) it works in the rooms and also outdoors by the pools.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Berkeley Springs, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I just wanted to make a point. This resort shares amenities with sister resort Wild Orchid.
The hotel is beautiful!! Beaches Beautiful!! Food, excellent, and Bar's day and night plentiful!
For evening entertainment, they have several shows in showtime Theater, and on the outdoor bandstand. Also the piano bar is open all evening, and closes at 12. midnight. For after hours there's Desires lounge open til 2am!
All of these places have a bar, and waitress service!!
It is true that the restaurants are on the Wild Orchid side, its not a very far walk tho, and we utilized both resorts for the entire week. The Saint James resort is close to the gym, tennis courts and spa.
We took a 3 hour shopping trip with Amstar (they have a table right in the front desk area) and it cost us $15. per person. We loved it!!!
They picked us up at 10:30, and we left to head back at 1:30.
We were taken to several different shopping areas, one of which was the craft market area. Be prepared.....as we were prepared by our tour guide, that those at the craft area can be pretty aggressive and really want you to buy their goods!
Water sports are right in the middle of both resorts . We took the ride on the glass bottom boat and really enjoyed it. The spa is BEAUTIFUL!!! and very upscale.
Food, excellent, and even tho both resorts share, we didn't wait once..and I know that Wild Orchid was at full capacity.

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Thank you for sharing your experience with others through Trip Advisor. It is extremely important for us to offer one-of-a-kind experiences. We have taken your comments into consideration in order to continue to delight our future guests. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you on a future vacation to our beautiful Secrets Wild Orchid/St. James!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

September 20th-25th was THE greatest part of 2010. Myself and two friends traveled to Secrets and were heartbroken to return. I would have written a review earlier, but life happens. Billy Love gave me a personal serenade to celebrate my birthday. Somehow management got wind that I was traveling for my birthday and I was upgraded to "Preferred". We were greeted on the first day with Mimosas, fresh cookies and cool towels. Check-in took all of 15 mins. We were escorted to our room and there was a "Happy Birthday" sash waiting at the door. After being blown away by our view and the room, we noticed I was left with a birthday cake, bottle of champagne and fresh fruit basket. GREAT way to start the trip. My friends and I quickly became the "Birthday Girls Group" and it seemed that the entire staff knew about us. We were treated like royalty on every front. We created the night life and turned the dance floor out each night. The one night we ventured to Margaritaville (BAD idea) we were missed :-) Drinks were amazing, Jerk Chicken outstanding. LOVED every minute on the beach. Breakfast plays angelic singing when you walk through the doors, I'm sure of it. We went on the shopping excursion on the last day and had a time (tip: US dollars are preferred and you can purchase items at the end from different vendors for dirt cheap compared to in stores. the street vendors thrive on tourism, its their only income). The SPA is the greatest thing this side of Heaven. Should have gone more than one day. Tipping the housekeeping was important to us because I sure wouldn't want that job. Never ventured into the pool, was too in love with the beach. Room Service ALWAYS arrived hot and within at most 20 mins. Little things like rain, flooding shower and paint jobs are such trivial, insignificant issues that had NO bearings on the wonderful time we had. We literally were in tears as we left and can't WAIT to go back. Don't forget the "Birthday Girls"

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Econcierge_Assistant, E-Concierge Administrative Assistant at Secrets St James, responded to this review, November 23, 2010

Ashleigh – Feel free to contact me at: econcierge1.sesmb@secretsresorts.com

Been to Secrets St James? Share your experiences!