“Perfect honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets St James

Save Saved
You added Secrets St James to your Saves list
Secrets St James
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lot A59 Freeport, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Atlanta, Georgia
“Perfect honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

We had an amazing honeymoon at Secrets St. James. We traveled June 6-13, and stayed in a Junior Suite with Ocean View in the Preferred Club. I'll try to break it down the best I can.

Service: Service was great. Check in took about 10 minutes, and that was only because we forgot our confirmation at home and had to use the public computer to print it out again. The staff is so friendly and helpful. There was never any waiting for a drink at the bar - it probably helped that the resort was only at about 50% capacity. The only places that need some improvement are the restaurants, especially at peak dinner times. We had to wait for a table at Bordeaux one night, and other times had rather slow service in the dining room. As long as they kept the wine flowing (they did), we were ok with that, though.

Room: I love love loved our room. The bed was huge and comfortable, with perfectly fluffed pillows. The jacuzzi tub (big enough for two) was perfectly situated. I know some people have complained about the room set up, but we thought the open floor plan was perfect. We could recline in the jacuzzi tub and watch a movie. There is a door that you CAN'T see through between the room and the toilet, and you can't see into the shower. Also, we are planning on installing a shower exactly like this one in our house (seriously, this is my dream shower). There was no evidence of any sort of leaking or water damage in our room (as previous posters have complained about), nor did we have trouble with the phone or Wi-Fi.

Food: I think my new husband and I both gained about 10 lbs at Secrets. Bordeaux is really delicious; we went twice. I had the stuffed chicken, and he had the steak the first night, and the lamb later in the week. All were delicious. The bouillabaisse was also incredible. The only soup that was more delicious was the Pumpkin Soup at Blue Mountain. I wanted to bottle it up and take it home. The only mediocre meal we had was at El Patio, the "Mexican" restaurant. I had a seafood burrito that was okay, but my husband's "Mexican Shrimp" was yuck. Definitely get the mushroom appetizer at Portofino, and make a reservation for the hibatchi table at Himitsu (you get to try everything on the menu). The World Cafe buffet is wonderful for both breakfast and lunch, but make sure to head to Seafood Grill or Oceana a couple of days for lunch - some days they offer fresh snow crab claws on their salad bar! And room service is 24 hours, and quite tasty (the french fries are amazing after a long day and night). We definitely did not go hungry!

Grounds: The resort is lovely. Not as lush as I would like, but that's to be expected as it's new. As previous posters have mentioned, there is some evidence of a rush to open on time - some of the tile looks hurriedly put up, with spackle everywhere, some of the painting looks shoddy. But, overall, everything was nice. I actually enjoyed the open-air restaurants. The pools are great - since we were Preferred Club guests, we hung out at the PC pool in the mornings, but usually went over the the busier St. James pool with the swim-up bar in the afternoons. There's also a basketball net in that pool, leading to some entertaining games with other guests. We never once had to wait for a chair at either pool, or had trouble getting to the swim up Bar Manatee. While there were enough other guests to chat with, there were few enough that we never felt crowded. It was perfect.

Honeymoon Package: We got the honeymoon package. Unfortunately, we procrastinated in scheduling our "Romantic Beachside Dinner," and they were booked once we tried. Instead, they offered a second Champagne Breakfast. The Champagne Breakfast was great! You schedule it a day or two in advance for the time you want, and can order whatever you want off the room service menu. We ordered a little of everything - fruit, cereals, pancakes (delicious!), eggs, bacon. The tray was massive! They included different juices and a bottle of champagne. They brought it right to the bedside, so we could literally eat breakfast in bed. No problems redeeming our spa package.

Spa: GO TO THE SPA! It is so nice. We had the Couples Massage and Couples Facial (both included in our Honeymoon Package). So relaxing. After your treatment, make sure to take advantage of the sauna, steam room, and hot tub. Even those extra amenities were quiet - only a couple of other people were there.

Cleanliness: They cleaned our room daily. One day we asked housekeeping to come back as we were getting ready to go to the pool when they knocked. When we returned to prepare for our spa appointment, the room had not yet been cleaned. I called the Concierge and asked if they could come while we were at the spa, and gave our appointment times. By the time we can back, the room was clean. No problems there.

Nightlife: We went to bed early about half the time, and went out the other half. The Piano Bar offers near nightly sing-alongs, which are fun! The song list is a bit limited, but it was still a blast. One night we watched a Cirque du Soleil-style show, put on by the Secrets entertainers - they are amazing! The Secrets in-house band is great, and they also play nearly every day. We also went dancing at Desires Music Lounge, which was a little small, but we had a blast! There is definitely something for everyone - the lobby bars are quiet and open late, perfect for a relaxed cocktail. Or you can dance and sing the night away.

Activities: We only participated in the non-motorized activities included in the package. We went kayaking almost every day - SO. MUCH. FUN. One of the Secrets photographers caught some great pictures of us out on the water. Don't miss the Hobie Cat (sailing) rides! We got a great view of the island, and had a great time hopping the waves. They also offer 2 guided snorkeling trips per day.

Preferred Club: Is it worth it? Yes and No. I am really happy we were PC. The PC lounge was great, with all top shelf liquors (including Grey Goose, Johnny Walker, and Maker's Mark), and an irresistible buffet table that had desserts, cold cuts, veggies, and a hot option or two (like fish sticks, nachos, etc) so we didn't have to go all the way to the restaurants if we didn't want to. (NOTE: The first few days they did ask for our names/room number several times to verify we were PC guests, so they are trying to crack down on non-PC taking advantage of these amenities). The PC staff offered even better service than the rest of the resort, if that's even possible. We got free Wi-Fi in our room (non-PC has to pay for it). We were able to walk right out of our room, and into the PC pool. We were able to get a daily paper delivered to our door. So definite perks. However, I suppose it depends on how much extra it is - someone mentioned that it's like an extra $50-100/day now, which I'm not sure would be worth it (we had booked before the grand opening, and got a killer deal). I

Honestly, my only complaint about Secrets St. James and Wild Orchid is the bugs. I had not been to Jamaica before, so I'm not sure if there are mosquitoes elsewhere, but the resort is near the lagoon and has quite a mosquito problem. They do a non-toxic spray of some sort daily, but I still had quite a few bites. If you're going soon, remember to pack some bug repellent. My husband is already planning on returning next year, and taking some other couples with us next time!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,364)
Loganville, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

Well let me start with the good stuff, the resort is beautiful, the staff is great and we love Caulette!!
The ugly: We arrived on May 31st for a 6 day 5 night stay, and we were celebrating my birthday. This was our 1st trip to the island and we were excited. When we arrived we were wisked away to the preferred club. During check in we were given a glass of champagne and a wet towel to freshen ourselves. We were then escorted to our suite. We requested a King sized bed however the room we were given had 2 queen size beds. I understand there is no guarantee but we did request our preference when we booked. The conceirge did change our room and we were given a king suite with no problem. We settled in our room, but it was really warm. I know Jamaica is humid and hot, so we expected the air conditioner to be on full blast. It was not. It was hot as heck, and for me to say it was hot trust me it was. I am the person who is forever cold. We reported this to the desk and they insisted we had a door open and this is what was causing the sensors not to work. So we went back checked the doors to make sure they were closed. We went to dinner. (I'll get back to that later) When we arrived back the room was still hot. We were to tired to complain anymore that night. When we got up the next day we went down to the front desk and complained again. We were advised they would send maintenance up to check, Needless to say maintenance never came. After another day of this we were finally moved to another room. This rooms air worked great but there were ants. Another trip to the front desk was made. We were advised that they would take care of the situation. When we arrived back in our room the ants were gone. It was hard to get maid service to be consistant. One day the bed is turned down the next day it isn't One day the room wasn't cleaned at all.
The bad: The food left a lot to be desired. Not a lot of choices and for some reason it was never hot it seemed to always be lukewarm. The Italian Restaurant had a really bad wait staff. So if you go there be prepared to wait and get no attention. Breaksfast was the standard buffet and again never any hot food always lukewarm.
The activities staff tried but they need more trainning. The outdoor activities though planned weren't really eventful. I wanted to take Sala lessons which were advestised but they had to locate a sound system, which was never located. So I got a quick 5 minute lesson.
Back to some good: We didn't want to make a big deal about what happened to us but considering we paid a good deal of money we spoke with Caulette (not sure if this is the correct spelling) She is they best customer service person they could ever have, She listened to our concerns and spoke with us to explain the growing pains of the new resort. She didn't make excuses for what happened she was just excellent. I'm sure we have delt with customer service reps who have been less then attentive, or have given you the impression that you were getting on their nerves, She was NEVER like that. When I say she listened I mean just that.
I would reccomend the Resort becuase I know it has potential to be great. They just have to work out the kinks!!

aneudek
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

After spending three months compulsively reading the reviews (and complaints) about Secrets St. James I finally get my chance to write my two cents about the resort (and some of the prior comments written) after returning from an anniversary celebration with my wonderful wife. We had a great celebration and the resort was a good value for the money.
Being new, the resort looks like the pictures. The spaces are warm and pretty. He designs deserves to win some architectural awards. There were several comments about the restaurants being hot at night. We mostly dined outside but ate inside in Bordeaux one night. It was warm. Our idea of going to the beach is to be outside and enjoy the wonderful Caribbean breezes in the evening. Our room was large, comfortable, well appointed and we appreciated the money spent on plumbing fixtures. We kept the patio door and blinds closed and the room was cool every night. There have been numerous comments about the quality of construction of the resort; we did notice some examples this but the beach and rum was still as enjoyable despite the chipping paint and plaster and incomplete hardware. The beach was the wonderful soft Jamaica coral sand and the ocean was like we expected it – with fish and a few stones and even some seaweed. The pools looked nice but were lost on us. We got fewer bug bites than when we sit in our own back yard in the summer.
The food and drink met or exceeded our expectations. The breakfast and lunch buffets were comparable to other resorts where we have stayed. The dinner menus were basically “meat and potatoes” but they rivaled plates we have had at higher end “city” restaurants. The meals made up in quality what they lacked in complexity. The snapper we had one night was surely swimming with us earlier in the day when we were snorkeling. Everything, including the side dishes, was very fresh and well prepared. But why can’t any Caribbean resort find a creative pastry chef? The fabulous smoked fish for breakfast missed fresh bagels most mornings. The cava (Spanish champagne) they served on our first night was a find and we put more than one bottle away during our stay. The wine list was a cornucopia for tastes and budgets, from Yellow Tail to one on my favorite popular wines, Conundrum, as well as some wonderful Champagne and French wines-kudos to the sommelier. People dressed well in the evening, which was appreciated by us. There have been several comments about the drinks being too strong…after a few drinks every morning on the beach we did not notice.
The staff was all friendly and attentive, from the front desk to water sports desk to bartenders to maids. We had a few minor administrative issues with the coupons, which were unavailable at check-in, but they were resolved by the last day.
We did take advantage of the spa. Not going to the spa defeats the concept of a luxury vacation. We chose Secrets to experience a little pampering and bodily pleasure. We enjoyed the hydro-therapy circuit and several treatments. The staff was attentive, although they weren’t the best massages we have had, they were perfectly fine. We have been to resorts where the massage therapists are “imported” and the therapists here were friendly, competent locals. The staff did not seem to understand that many guests needed to be guided into what to do transitioning from the locker room to the relaxation area to the hydro-therapy circuit to their treatment. They also did not explain how to use the hydro-therapy area and many guests were confused by what it was and how to use it. The management could do a better job of training staff or of outlining in signage suggestions for making the most of the spa area. I also heard of a guest who could not get appointments until later into their stay (possibly due to so many wedding parties at the resort) so I suggest making appointments before you check in (we planned our spa treatments two weeks in advance).
I am saddened to read on Facebook that people are worried about going to the resort. We had a wonderful time and we certainly would recommend this resort –as it is now – to our friends. We like to experience different countries on our travels and would likely go to another Secrets resort based on our experience here. It was a great vacation for my wife and I, away from my usual job, which is evaluating resorts for purchase (really!). Don’t go expecting the Ritz, but the Ritz wouldn’t expect you to be walking around in flip flops or have such a friendly engaging staff either.

long island, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

overall we (my husband and I) had a good experience and a great time! as far as the value, we couldn't go wrong. it's easy to just list the 'bad' stuff, but i'll try to list both likes and dislikes.
ROOMS- we stayed on the St. James side in a preferred room. our check-in was delayed an hour because they tried to tell me that my rate was based on per person when it was indeed booked per couple. almost amusing since i booked directly through the secrets website and confirmed via telephone, TWICE!!
our room was beautiful and clean. we were pleasantly surprised to see spf15 sunscreen, razor blades. toothpaste and toothbrushes were provided, along with other amenities. although my room was consistently cleaned, i'm not sure why they have a 'do not disturb' light when the maids completely ignore it! she woke us at 8:30 one morning! the pillow are great and the bed is extremely comfortable. I have to be honest, i'm not sure i would stay on the preferred side again, i don't know what the difference is, but i will tell you, nobody ever even asked us if we were preferred members when using the amenities! and SJ pref. is the furthest from everything except the exercise room and the spa. be prepared to walk!!!! don't know why they wouldn't have employees on golf carts to take you to the other side of the property! (where all the restaurants, piano bar, entertainment areas are!) that is definitely my biggest complaint!
POOLS- we personally liked the more 'quiet' pools. we spent all our pool time at the SJ preferred pool and was very happy that getting a chair or a towel was not a problem at all! the waitress service there was wonderful, and always with a smile.
RESTAURANTS-although the food was good, and the service was relatively fast, we weren't always served with a smile. for some reason they try to seat you outside, by telling us there were no available tables on the inside when it clearly was not the case. we told them we'd wait for a table on the inside and they sat us immediately. they did this on several different occasions, at different restaurants. i must agree with previous posts that the air conditioning in the restaurants is poor! i completely disagree with them requiring men to wear pants considering how hot it is. there's no reason why men shouldn't be allowed to wear shorts with loafers and a collared shirt!! it is vacation!!! i heard about this chef who cooks burgers, jerk-chicken, etc. on the beach but never once did we see him. and we did ask. EVERYDAY!!!
ENTERTAINMENT- not one of their strong spots! although they do have a piano bar and a disco, it ends at that! the piano bar is outside and not even a fan on the ceiling to keep you cool. the disco was nicely air-conditioned (i think it's the coolest spot on the entire property) but i'm still wondering what the employees in the red shirts were supposed to be doing there aside from taking up space on the already small dance floor. not to mention we went to the SJ beach volleyball net everyday at the specified time to play and not a single employee showed up! there was virtually no entertainment!!
SPA- went for a massage, and it was very nice and very relaxing. didn't know i was going to get use of the sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, etc, which was wonderful. the problem with the spa is lack of communication. they should tell you to bring a swim-suit and a change of dry clothes. i happen to come from the pool, so i had on my swim-suit, but when i was finished with my massage, i had to put that wet swim-suit back on! not so relaxed after that!!
i do recommend you pack bug repellent as the mosquitos will get you. nobody can blame secrets for that as they do spay everyday around 5:30pm. the beach is beautiful but i recommend wearing flip-flops as it is a bit rocky.
all-in-all i would recommend this hotel to people as long as they can get past the small stuff, it is very romantic!

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. It located just 15 minutes from the airport on a beautiful stretch of white sandy beach. We stayed in the St James Preferred Club on the ground floor. The room was clean and comfortable. It was located very close to the Spa, so if you're into that this could be a room to request, but let me make one thing clear about the resort: St. James and Wild Orchid are the same resort! They share the same facilities, beaches and restraunts. My only observation is that Wild Orchid is closer to dining and activities.

There are about 5 restraunts to choose from and only one of them requires a reservation (Asian). There is only one restraunt that is air conditioned (French), all of the others just have ceiling fans. My wife and I were not impressed with any of the food. We loved our honeymoon for its beauty and relaxation, but we were so relieved to get home for some good food. I know this sounds silly, but the ketchup there was horrible! We stuck with jerk chicken the entire trip which was delicious.

So I only have 2 things that I want to make you aware of, the spa and the cab rides. I won't get into the whole story, but if you get room credits/coupons for the spa be sure to read the fine print. My wife and I booked for the morning before we left and wanted to use our credits. The credits were very restricted and there is an appointment cancellation policy for 50% within 48hrs. I had to argue to get out of paying it so just beware. The credits are good for nothing, they'll basically get you and hour massage for $90 instead of $120. The cab rides are interesting...seems like if you want to take a cab in town (15 min) it costs $100 if you go through the resort and $1 if you go outside of the gates to catch a cab. Yes, I said $1. So you can guess the rest of the statement here, if you want to take the risk, go for it, if not you should sign up for one of the shopping trip excursions for $15 per person.

Overall the trip was great. Beautiful, fully stocked bar with all of the Red Stripe you could drink, free snorkeling, sailing and kayaking. I would recommend this place to friends and family. Oh, and though they fumigate daily, DON'T FORGET TO BRING MOSQUITO REPELLANT!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Monroe, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

We just returned from 10 days at Secrets St. James Preferred Club, 05/27 - 06/06/10, celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We arrived at the resort about 1:00 PM, and were promptly checked in and taken to our suite. Our suite was beautiful, so much more than we imagined. While we were there, we were always greated with smiles and kind words by the staff. The housekeeping and nightly turn down staff did an excellent job. We received fantastic meals and service at all of the restaurants, and the wait staff on the beach was very friendly and timely. Angela, our Concierge, was very helpful and checked in with us often. Our thanks to everyone for making our trip so memorable. We look forward to visiting you in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

If this hotel were rated three stars, I would give it a raving review; however, because it is a five-star rating, I feel the need to speak up. The bar serves brand liquor and strong drinks--not skimping there--and (most of) the bartenders are professional. (John at Marlin Bar or the St. James lobby; Tino; or Lesmore are the most professional we encountered.) Also, the wait staff at the restaurants are exceptional.

However, the beach is full of HUGE rocks so that you can barely walk. Bring your own beach towel; the beach towels are as thin as paper and they only let you have three. The cabana boys/ladies are rude.

The concierge is hands down, the most unhelpful, disorganized, and unprofessional concierge we have ever experienced; they were consistently curt and abrupt and sometimes even rude. Friends of ours were forgotten at the lobby bar for a full hour before the concierge remembered to check them in.

There is no currency exchange available. We wanted to tip the bartenders and wait staff--both great--extra, but the concierge could not get us change--Jamaican or American. We did not change our money before we arrived because there is a currency exchange counter on the property; it was never opened. Thus, we--and other guests--were unable to tip extra when we wanted to do so.

The maid service is HORRIBLE. I actually wonder if my room was actually cleaned before we first checked in. There were mosquitoes coming from the air vents--to the tune of about 60 every evening (and that is a conservative estimate!). (We asked the concierge to spray our room, but we were told there was no spray for the rooms available on the property.) Further, the maid staff ignored our Do-Not-Disturb light four times; we kept on the light so they wouldn't open the doors b/c of the mosquitoes that would fly in from outside. So, we had to forego turndown service and maid service a few times to save ourselves from welts.

The electricity in our hallway was not working for 4 of the 6 days we were there. So, at night, it was completely pitch black so that you had to use your phone to light the way to your room.

The food was good. The wait staff is exceptional. The food at the Seaside Grill is not that great--for lunch, go to World Cafe. Earl is the best waiter we found, though they are all great. Don't miss out the jerk chicken from the guy on the beach--YUM!

One day that we were there, a heavy rainstorm occurred while we were having lunch in the restaurant. On the way back to our room, there were SEVERAL employees walking with umbrellas--or waiting under shield with umbrellas in hand. Nobody offered to walk us to the next awning--as we stood beside them preparing for our next run to the next awning, they merely laughed.

The entertainment is excellent, albeit a bit overly interested in audience participation. Vacationers are there to relax and be entertained--not join in EVERY entertainment opportunity themselves. Not to ding--just some constructive criticism.

This resort was so poorly run that I didn't even go to the spa--so no comment there. I had my credit card preauthorized for charging to the room, but I decided to forego the spa b/c I was afraid it would be too much money for what it was (as a result of the previously described experiences).

Fitness center is great. The guy on staff there is great, too.

All in all, there is a lack of infrastructure and employee training. This resort might be worth visitng again in a few years, but if you've yet to buy there--try elsewhere. It's definitely not a 5 star!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets St James? Share your experiences!