“Great Holiday but customer service is not 5 star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets St James

Save Saved
You added Secrets St James to your Saves list
Secrets St James
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lot A59 Freeport, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday but customer service is not 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I spent 10 days at St James with my partner. Hotel room was great, bed very comfortable. Pool and Beach were stunning and well looked after. Food in the restaurants and cocktails at the bar were 10 out of 10.

St James is one of the four buildings in the Secrets Resort. The other is Wild Orchids and then a 'preferred' version of the St James and Wild Orchids. So in total, there are probably around 1,000+ guests at the resort.

We spent the last two years at Secrets Silversands in Cancun which is 10/10. Jamaica was great but not near the level of service at Silversands.

My only gripe was the customer service. Some of the staff were exceptionally nice - Alex and Melo in the Entertainment Team were extremely warm, welcoming and took the initiative to introduce you to other guests. Really glad we met them.

However, in some areas, the service was appalling. You would go to the bar each day around the pool and even though it wasn't busy, the bar staff would sometimes ignore you and you'd be standing there waiting for long. Kedeisha was an exception, really going around asking people and getting them drinks around the pool.

You get the impression that the staff take their time and have no issue keeping you waiting across all departments. On arrival, we waited over 30 mins for our bags so I eventually went and got them myself and saw a couple of bell hops standing around doing nothing.

You would go to breakfast and there would be a long line of people waiting to be seated and they'd be there for ages, despite loads of tables available.

You would go to one of the many amazing restaurants. For some of the better ones e.g French, Italian, there would be a 40 minute wait despite you can see that there are loads of tables free (clearly short staffed). You would eventually be seated and you'd be ignored for 20-25 minutes and then you'd get to order.

The room wasn't cleaned on the first few days until I complained. Just before dinner at 8pm, I asked the Reception saying: "They gotta clean our room already!"

We asked Housekeeping for towels (they took an hour), we asked Housekeeping for two new pillows (they took an hour). 5 star would be on it immediately.

My girlfriend's biggest gripe was housekeeping walked in the room without knocking and we were changing. And apparently this happened to other couples whilst they were on their honeymoon (wink wink) and another guest who was showering at the time.

Great experience overall but the service needs to be better.

Room Tip: Rooms near reception have Wifi. Rooms further away do not.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,321)
Somerset, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I am in LOVE with this resort! Delicious food, beautiful grounds, and very clean. The staff is very friendly and attentive. Especially the entertainment staff Ali and Mello were very inspiring and entertaining. The resort is very romantic. It is a great choice for rekindling the romance in your relationship. The rooms are beautifully designed for romance with hot tub, dim lighting and sheer curtains to divide the room and the bathroom. Bed is so comfortable your body just sinks into it. I will come here again and again! I didn't want to go home. What I really love is that there are several restaurants and you didn't need to make reservations to eat at them so we were not subjected to buffet style every night where it is easy to overeat. :).

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just returned from st james staying there for 2 weeks. Unfortunately i got a chest infection the first day there but i tried to not let it get me down. The staff were fantastic and go out their way for you.my only down sides to this hotel are :- theres no doctor just a nurse who cant write prescriptions so not sure what shes paid for?? I told her i had a chest infection and needed antibiotics she said id need to see a doctor which would cost me 210 dollars!! Thats with out medication. I refused to pay that and went to a clinic just down the rd and it cost me 22 pound to see that doctor so feel we should be told by the hotel of that clinic. The reception staff were lovely especially misha (i think thats how you spell it).the gardeners were very content and friendly, a big thanks to Erica and simone who looked after us very well!! Also to the amazing staff at the barefoot grill who do amazing burgers., thanks nick!! This hotel is so romantic for couples Weddings etc but not for single people. We felt like idiots walking around when everyone was having candle lit dinner s and holding hands. It said adults only so thought there would be single people there but only saw a few.the hotel band was amazing the drummer has a voice to die for!!! The food was five star and delicious cant fault any of it!!! The only other moan i have is the non Motorised water sports were ment to be free but when i went to put my name down to take boat she said i had to pay 20 dollars to take one of the guys with me? I said i could do it myself and it looks simple enough but she said 20 dollars was nothing between two people. Its was the principle as i knew these were free and u shouldnt have to pay for them. So that spoilt it for us so never used them. Vincent and jermaine were lovely on the beach asking how my chest was daily.lastly the atm machine was broken for a month and the exchange girl sent me to it knowing this!! Then when i returned and said its broken but you knew that didnt you? She just smiled! And then said my barclays visa card didnt work in her machine so couldn't get any money to pay tips. That was a big let down for me. So was left with no money.take American dollars instead of jamaican as they use these more! To round it up a beautiful hotel, tasty food, lovely hard working staff, beautiful grounds, fab weather. 5 star all round just not for single people. Oh one more thing we went to Mexican restaurant one night and the waiter was so annoying we left. He kept saying 'remember your getting VIP treatment' and walking past every 2 minutes saying im so excited at what your eating tonite and im keeping my eye on yous!!!this was a big turn off so we got up and left. We didnt return either. U feel some try too hard and it is annoying at times. I loved this place although it sounds i didn't but if these few problems are ironed out it would be perfect!! If your married, engaged, or a couple then you will fall in love with this place. Its Sooooo romantic!!!

Room Tip: I had 3111 it was gorgeous beach on my door step.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My partner and I stayed here in September and had a fabulous time. The property has a wide choice of restaurants and bars. The staff are extremely friendly and rooms are a great size with lots of luxury. The property is beautiful and is in a very good location. We will definitely return here. The entertainment was great and we in particular very much enjoyed the beach party.

This was our first time staying in a Secrets resort and from this stay I would recommend Secrets hotel in St James. I will also stay in a Secrets resort when booking my next holiday if it is not in Jamaica.

Room Tip: Higher floors have an amazing view.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Beautiful resort and staff especially Xavier and the bell boy Chris. We were upgraded to preferred and repeat guest status with banners of both occasions on the door. Best bed ever. We stayed in three Secrets properties in Mexico. Jamaica St James was our favorite. Stayed Labor Day week for 7 nights. Great butler service with Patrick and Travis they made our dining experiences special with rose petal on the tables and special touches in our room 4401 which was an awesome room. Everything about our stay was spectacular.

Room Tip: 4401 preferred room on higher floor great view
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

The resort had fantastic service provided by an amazingly friendly and fun staff. Very Clean and well maintained resort and hotel rooms. The maid service was great and very attentive. There were plenty of free activities such as snorkeling and paddle boarding and entertainment at the resort for everyone. The food was overall good and had many dining options.

• Stayed September 2014
Ypsilanti, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is the place to be. Excellent service throughout. This place was spotless. The atmosphere was great! Secrets Wild Orchard is right next door and is connected for you to enjoy there amenities for free as well. Each has their own main pool and one hot tube. There is about 6 restaurants. The food is great! Wifi is free. The beds are so soft and comfortable. The balcony was large. The room service is free and also great. The rooms are very nice and romantic. My only complaint is I asked for an ocean view and had a view of two trees so we couldn't see the ocean. We were on the second floor. The nightly entertainment was absolutely wonderful. Live bands, singers and games for everyone to enjoy. The setting was very romantic with comfortable chairs, candles and tables right off the ocean. Lighting was perfect. Large area for everyone to enjoy. The beach was nice..there were some rocks that could have been cleared way. There were many games for you to enjoy.. horse shoes, corn hole, darts, pool tables, ping pong, large size chess board and connect four along with a casino. Water sports included sailing, Kayak, snorkeling and glass bottle boat. The pool entertainment was fun. The wait staff and service here was great. They are very friendly. Everyone spoke to you in the hallways and in passing. They had water stands on the property as well. The bartenders were funny and loved to serve you. One of the best things was they had Jerk chicken carts to serve you around the resort and it was very good. They also had a hamburger hut next to the pool area.. One of the bars had swings for you to sit on while you had your drinks. The night club was nice too. The dj was great and projected each songs video. My only complaint would be if you request an ocean view make sure your not on the second floor..the trees will be in your view. During the nightly entertainment they should turn down the resort background music during showtimes. It interfered with the live entertainment. Overall this was the best resort I have stayed in since I have been going to Jamaica for the past 7 years.

Room Tip: If you request an ocean view room make sure your not on the second floor. Trees blocked our view.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Secrets St James? Share your experiences!