“An OK resort!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets St James

You added Secrets St James to your Saves list
Secrets St James
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lot A59 Freeport | St. James, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
California City, California
“An OK resort!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Overall the resort itself was beautiful; however, the bathroom could have used some upgrading, see pics. Although MOST staff were very friendly there were about 40% that did not appear to like their jobs! One clerk at the rum store in the shopping area never looked up from her phone when I was asking her questions, yes this could happen anywhere but when I am spending this much money I NEED your attention! I had to damn near fight for wash cloths! There are only 3 non-motorized water sports included (not what our paperwork said) everything else you have to pay for! The "good" offsite" excursions were a bit pricey! Who wants to pay $4500 for a trip & then pay $150/$200 a day to go offsite to find something to do! if you are looking for a beach/pool type of resort then this is the place for you but if you like to be active & you choose to stay @ St James bring lots of extra cash so you can leave the property! I was not impressed with the day to day food options, for $1099 person I expected more! I became best friends with the ice cream machine:-)! Also, the check in process is horrible! Needs work!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,612)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The resort was beautiful. The grounds were just lovely. I'm a plant freak so I really enjoyed seeing all the tropical plants! It was very clean and well groomed.

The staff was excellent. We did not encounter one grumpy employee. All of them were friendly and very accommodating.

The food was as expected for a resort. Good but not great. I'm from Texas so I'm probably a little picky about Mexican food. Overall I wasn't dissappointed in the food. There were plenty of choices. We ate in the Italian restaurant twice. The asian restaurant was okay. I didn't like my meal, but my boyfriend's meal was good.

We left saying we would definitely return. There were several repeat guests there during our stay. I enjoyed meeting people from all over. Everyone we met was having a great time.

Asheboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Our stay (9/5 to 9/10) was simply excellent, far beyond our expectations with respect to hospitality, cleanliness, convenience, amenities, attention to detail and facilities. This was our first visit to this resort and it won't be our last. We were warmly welcomed by Curtis who carried our luggage and showed us to the preferred club check in desk. There Nalini did a wonderful job checking us in and informing us of all the amenities available to us. She recognized we were there to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and made us feel very special, like we were the most important people at the resort.

The added benefits of the preferred club upgrade were well worth the money. The lounge on the ground floor with all sorts of food and drink made it convenient to maximize time spent at the pool and on the beach, which are both top notch. The grounds were manicured perfectly, the chairs and large soft towels were plentiful and the service was great.

The restaurants were great, the service was super and the food very very good. We looked forward each day to our next dinner experience. We utilized the spa and it was wonderful. Calm soothing atmosphere, total pampering, great facility.

Overall, the thing that stands out the most for us was the warmth and friendliness of all the employees and staff. This allowed us to be completely at ease and totally relaxed. This was like the icing on the cake.

You can't go wrong choosing this destination if relaxation is your objective and top notch facilities, amenities and service is your expectation.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a great view of the bay and surrounding mountains.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was probably too hard on Secrets in Montego Bay on my first, and maybe my second TA review, but this time it all worked out.

I travel to Mo Bay regularly on business, this time my wife joined me and we upgraded to the Preferred Club of St. James and it was indeed worth the upgrade. The pool is much quieter and much less busy. My wife enjoyed a 1/2 day at the spa and reported back that it was as good an experience as she's had in the Caribbean, and we travel often.

The food on the resort is good, not great but on the higher end for an all inclusive property.

I love the fact that the hotel is 15 minutes from the airport - you can be relaxing with a Red Stripe within an hour of landing.

Finally don't miss the Jerk Chicken cart, every day from 12 - 2 pm.

Room Tip: Go for the preferred club - St James
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Me and my partner, decided to stay at this hotel after reading positive reviews on trip advisor and have to say it lived up to everything we could of asked for.
From the moment we arrived we found the staff very friendly and helpful, after a long 10 hour journey getting to the hotel and getting a rum punch was an amazing way to start. Our rooms were always cleaned and had some amazing towel art done I think there was only 2 days in our 2 week stay that we did not have towel art.
As for the grounds themselves they were amazing the staff were always busy keeping the grounds in great condition, and it showed. Yes I do have to agree there is a few cats around which someone else did mention they can be a little bit annoying at times but it did not bother me.

As for the restaurants our favourite was the Japanese we went there 3 times at the end we have to give a shout out to Nashville who is a waiter there he is amazing and such a funny and great guy. The Mexican and Jamaican were good, I was not to impressed with the Italian first time we went the starter of eggplant was amazing, but the chicken parmesan was awful over cooked chicken and cold spaghetti. We did not try the French restaurant.

If you want a drink at this place this is always plenty on offer, my favs were the Bob Marley and Dirty Banana. But there was so much to choose from!!

Some of our favourite staff there were, Chris Brown, Nashville, Craig from Marlin Bar and Rayan one of the grounds team.

We will be back!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room the views are amazing. If you find the food size a bit small just ask nice...
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Enjoyed every moment of our holiday apart from the thunder storms in the afternoons!! Room was very spacious and clean, but a little disappointed that we only had one towel art during our two week stay. Restaurants very good - favourites being French, Italian and Japanese. Would have liked a buffet available for dinner as sometimes only wanted a salad or light snack/meal. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Special mention to Allendo in the Lounge Bar and Mark at the Pool Bar. Music round the pool a little loud sometimes and very repetitive in choice of songs. Not sure if we were bitten whilst in the room at night or whilst we walked of an evening but seemed to have lots of mosquito bites when we woke in the morning - take plenty of hydrocortisone cream - you will need it. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking pool and sea is fantastic. View of sunset from room not to be missed.
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I went to Secrets St. James for our 27th Anniversary. We had a great time. Our room was ready when we arrived. We were greeted kindly with a cool towel and a cold drink. Our check-in went smoothly and we were upgraded to the Preferred Club. The Jamaicans are wonderful people. The staff at Secrets st. James were awesome. Special thanks to Jason at Portofino, Orville at Bordeaux (ate there 2 nights) and Karma who served us drinks on the Preferred Club beach. We went in September which seems to be the rainy season. Sunny in the morning but rained every afternoon. If you want all day sun September is not the best time. Overall though a great time at Secrets St. James. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: 4th or 5th floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets St James? Share your experiences!