“50th Wedding Aniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets St James

You added Secrets St James to your Saves list
Secrets St James
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lot A59 Freeport | St. James, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“50th Wedding Aniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have stayed at 4 Sandels and 1 Beaches Resorts in Jamaica...We stayed in St.James preferred Novermber 2012 for 6 days...ServIce WAS GREAT, Preferred gaveyou access to top shelf liquors and a very nice buffett each day i preferred ..plus a great selection of Liquors in your room...Be sure to carry lipstick and nail polish fo the ladies of housekeeping that take care of your room...these things are very expensive in Jamaica; so they really appreciate them.....Great service, food and everything else....We are going back in November this year!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St James, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary and thank you for having selected our resort for this special milestone celebration. Our team is very happy that you did enjoy your stay with us and found the preferred club to be of much value and comfort. It is absolutely great to know that you are already planning on returning and we are looking forward to this very much.

Thanks for sharing your review with us.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,613)
Shawsburn Village,Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from 2 weeks at Secrets St James,Montego Bay.
We made this choice after reading glowing reports on this site.(its is only now i read that most of these reports are only done over a few days stay,not 2 weeks)
As we like a quiet holiday with that bit extra we upgraded to Prefered.
The hotel were first class with emails prior to holiday and all requests for upper floor etc were done.
Firstly it was a bit of a shock to be dropped at st james lobby and told you go down that way!
We eventually found the preffered lobby.
Lovely we thought then we saw about 5 cats sitting at the door out to the pool.YUCK!!!!
Check in was done in no time with cold towel and choice of any drink.

Rooms

Really nice decor,tv,fridge, safe,iron and a steamer,my wife loved the powerfull hairdryer(not the usual hotel type)
Bed was really comfy
Not keen on the toilet set up ,no room with the door shut.
Balcony bath was ott,did not see one person use it.
View was great.

Downside,bugs were a nightmare in the room,we seemed to get bitten to bits more in the room than outside(I asked them to spray room but didnt help,if they did it that is)

Pool
Plenty of beds,towels and brollies.
2 pools at prefered area.(well one spit)
one side was warmer,the cooler one seemed to get hotter as the holiday went on,I think this was the Americans complaining about it being to cold.
bar staff at the pool were great,brought drinks to beds or pool,it was never a problem.

Eating out

breakfast great choice and quality ok

French this was my favourite,lobster bisque then lobster and steak,yum!
Italian was great,big plus this was the only restaurant with ceiling fans.
Mexican was ok
Asian
well,where do i start.

Hibachi table,only 4 of us and the other couple we were sat with didnt like any of the food,in and out in 17mins,we went outside and the couple were in the french restaurant.

We went back a few nights later with a couple we met and had to walk out after waiting for nearly 45 mins for a table,then another 45 mins for our starter,no drinks replaced,then the manager laughing at our complaint.
Only after walking out did he run after us to try and sort out,but to late by this time.

This is the big fault of the hotel,we gave the asian another try and it was great,we got a free bottle of lovely wine as an apology and was great again a few days later.

Grounds.

If the hotel was run by the grounds manager,I dont think anybody would have any complaints.
The rain they dealt with and cleaned up straight after,gardens lovely,grass lovely( cutting all the time was a bit noisy though)

Now to the big downer

Cats

They met you at the door to the pool.
If you ate anything they gathered at your bed.
Any food put in the bin,cats would take it in turn to pull food out of the bin.

Guests feeding cats did not help the matter.

We stopped using prefered lounge. We were sitting on the 3rd day after ther daily downpour,2 couples in a row came in ,first couple stroked cat then came in and lifted bottle of wine and took some food from the hot tray.

2nd couple female lifted cat up and came in a did the same with the drink and food.

Plates were taken from prefered area and cats were fed from these and brought back in .

Now bottles lay out for two weeks,how many cat clapped hands had been on them? Disgusting!

I complained several times at reception,they were more concerned about the guest that liked cats,twice i got a story about guests crying when the cats were being removed by pest control officer.

We were offered a move,room wasnt the issue the cats in the grounds were.

If you want a cat holiday go to a cat rescue home or on safari.

No consistency

This is the BIG let down for what could be a teriffic hotel.

Prefered club was used by the whole hotel,not once in 14 days were we aked for out pass,other hotels guests just walked in picked up orange towels and sat down,they also used food and the prefered bar ,again no checks were made.Pool beds were also removed and taken to St james pool daily.

The prefered club is a total waste of money,food area,staff were horrible,you had to constantly ask for wine to be opened,Red stripe was like gold dust,dont try to take food if they were putting any out.You do get a bath on you balcony though in full view of the other rooms!

Staff are either Brilliant and we tipped them well!( some waiters at breakfast, all pool bar staff) or were terible.

Staff at watersports,my dont disturb us ,yet one or two went out of there way to help.

Waiting staff,some nothing was a bother(I has espresso at breakfast,)some got no problem,others gave you the look.

It was yah man,unless you had a problem.I always laugh,they understand you fine when tip involved,but complain and they dont speak English.

Room service, very poor.2 turn downs in 14 nights.no swans,petals,bath run for you,Na da.

room food service,food always cold and takes ages.

All in all ,I can see why it gets great reports over a 2 or 3 day stay but my do the cracks appear when your there for two weeks.

It a real shame,the funny thing is we would go back,It was so relaxing,sea was a joy to swim in,but no prefered club and not for two weeks.

Room Tip: top floor a must,most lower rooms blocked by trees,ground floors for the cat lovers
Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I don’t normally write incredibly negative reviews, but there isn’t too much good things I can say about Secrets St. James in Montego Bay, Jamaica. I will preface this by saying that this was my 4th time travelling to a Secrets resort, with the previous three stays being in Mexico and the Dominica Republic, and obviously I had a great time at those locations.

Unfortunately, St. James did not live up to the expectation I’ve come to expect from a Secrets resort. From the initial arrival, the staff had an attitude, and we were staying in the preferred club. After checking in, we asked about any upgrades, and were told no, we asked if she could check the computer, and she said no. It wasn’t the customer support I am used to, she more or less had the attitude that she couldn’t be bothered.

The hotel was just okay in general, decent pools, but nothing that “wowed” you. We stayed in the preferred club, and thought that would mean preferred service, well we were mistaken. The bar for the preferred club was being renovated, so they had a tent on the beach. They had no power, so that meant no frozen drinks. The waiters were few and far between. When we mentioned this at the preferred club we were told, if you really want a drink, go walk to the bar. It wasn’t what I expected from a resort that talks about the great service they provide.

I will move onto the food now. Firstly, the gourmet restaurant was very good, nothing negative to be said about it. The only annoyance was that they don’t have cappuccinos in the restaurants, and when we asked, the waiter said, “you don’t want me to walk all the way to the coffee bar for that, do you.” It’s not exactly the typical response we were used to from waiters. The Italian was good, but eating outside, it got very dark very fast, and by the time we got our meal, we didn’t even know what we were eating, food was good but the lighting, not so much. The other meals came out cold. When we asked to have it re-done, came it cold again, but the plate was so hot, I thought the waiter was going to get 3rd degree burns trying to handle it. I believe they have a heating tray they put the food on when ready, but when you order something that is over rice or something, the rice gets hot, but the fish doesn’t. Needless to say, the meals were not great. The lunches were poor as well. You could go to one sit down that gave you wraps, and only wraps, or another where you could get more food served cold. The best part of lunch was the jerk chicken cart, which was great, the high light of lunch, and a great idea. I think the restaurant was insulted when after my food came out cold, I got some jerk chicken, brought it in, and ate it at the restaurant.

The bar tenders were rude, not at all helpful, and just had an attitude like you were bothering them when you wanted a drink. I remember trying to place an order and hearing “does it look like I’m waiting on you yet.”

The layout was also poorly designed. I think they did a poor job in planning, where they had everything on one side of the resort, and nothing on the other side. I knew this coming, so can’t hold this against the resort but still felt the planning was poor.

All in all, it was a poor selection. We met with the manager of the preferred club and the food and beverage head (Carlos) and they did what they could to fix things, but in the end, they couldn’t and we left the resort early, to go to another resort, which was so much better.

I am not ruling out staying at a Secrets again, but I won’t be rushing back to one, and really felt that St. James did not live up to the Secrets experience I have had in the past. They have a lot of work to do, to make it a decent resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

It was our 10 year anniversary we went to Secrets knowing it would hopefully be relaxing at the same time fun.Hotel rooms were nice and always clean, grounds our cleaned every day.We did buffet for breakfast and room service once and for lunch most of the time jerk chicken at the beach.Staff was great ,look for "Ricardo" for room service very knowledgable great guy that knows about his country and will help you with what you need .We liked Mexican and Asian restaurant and Saturday night lobster night was great. For entertaiment more daily activities by the pool and the beach will be a improvement .Overall relaxing great 5 day vacation with great service. We had rain and smal little storm, but remember vacation is always what you make it out to be!!! We will go back to Secrets and go with a open mind you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 3525 in the center over looks the pool and ocean..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St James, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your review of your most recent visit to our resort. We are glad that you enjoyed so many different things about our resort including the staff and food. Your recommendation for improvement to our daily activities is noted and our management team will continue to incorporate yours and other comments to plans for the resort’s overall enhancement.

I do hope that when you return you will have an even better time than your last.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant
Windham, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the St James property from Sept 4th to the 8th. As we had just stayed at Secrets the Vine in June for our honeymoon I am going to try to perform a comparison, each are both elegant in their own fashion.

As we arrived at the St James property we were greeted with a nice "Welcome Home" with some cool towels and champagne. After checking in we were immediately sat down and spoken to about setting up time to review their vacation club which we were familiar with due to our visit in Cancun. I can say that I felt this was a bit of overkill as we were just arriving. We stayed in the preferred area in Cancun and were shown around the grounds by our butler with no mention of the club. It wasn’t until later on in which we were asked if we wanted to attend their pitch. It was odd that they greeted with this right through the door at St James after a long day of travel. However I will say that check in was simple. The lobby does have incense burning all of the time so just as a warning in case this will affect you. Personally I found the scent rather nice.

One thing that did upset me a bit was the fact that we were not even asked if we wanted to upgrade (when other reviews stated that others had even been upgraded for free) We would have paid if we had known all of the items lacking from the preferred service. I think that Secrets should keep in mind when we are a returning guest to any of their many properties that perhaps we should be treated as such. We booked an Ocean View room. Online there are only two categories. Ocean View and Preferred. I would expect that Ocean View have a view. However we were placed in a first floor room which had NO view of the Ocean. It was looking directly at the pool bar, and was the main traffic area for guests to get in the pool bar area. I could have asked to switch because the resort was NOT at max capacity but didn’t want to deal with the hassle given the short timeframe we were there. On occasion we found it nice to just walk off our patio and be right at the heart of the activities. Inside the room was just okay compared to the Vine. The bed was very comfortable as it had been at the Vine. The structure of the two rooms differs and I found that the bathtub was a nice touch (just a very large shower at the Vine). However we did find that the carpet in the room was starting to look very worn, there was a picture missing from the wall with the screws sticking out, and we were missing the “slippers” that we had during our stay with the Vine. This specific room 3113 is showing its age most likely due to its location to the pool and guests running in and out. It is spacious and comes with an extra seating area. I loved the Gilcrest and Soames bath amenities that are included; however was not provided with conditioner as I was at the Vine. I called the Concierge, and was informed that they do not have conditioner. For a resort such as this I was really not that fond of the answer knowing that I had been provided with Secrets condition in Cancun, and you can buy it in the gift shop. Additionally I missed the privacy we had on our balcony as I could not sit out and wear the bathrobe that was provided to relax with so many guests walking by and the entertainment team being in front of our patio. We did have the waitress working around the pool offer us a drink as we were sitting outside. That was also an added bonus. Turn down service was hit or miss. They showed up two out of our four night stay. We loved this added feature in Cancun and were disappointed when we returned to the room the same as when we left it, and then had to hunt down a copy of the Sundial just to see the activities for the next day. Again we did not have the preferred area as we were only staying a short time. But we did hear that people in the preferred area would have animals made out of their towels, and given the lack of people that were visiting this time around it would have been nice to have.

The staff at this resort is very friendly and welcoming as it was in Cancun. We did have a few hiccups on occasion but met so many friendly people that the few did not bother us. Secrets does a good job at ensuring that their staff is at the utmost friendly and accommodating. Our first day there a gardener made me a fabulous floral bouquet using a coconut as the base. This was just an added plus. A special thanks to Devonish who works at the Manatees pool bar, Ryan in concierge, and Karen who is at Barracudas. I unfortunately do not recall everyone's name as I am horrible with names but again the majority of the staff is wonderful. We did have very slow service one night at the Blue Mountain, and had to be asked to be served. But this is not the norm.

To me the beaches were nicer than they were in Cancun. But that is all based upon location. If you want calmer waters then Jamaica is the place to go. My husband and I loved the fact that we could walk along the rock formations and see tons of fish just by looking down. The water was beautiful and clear and the sunset amazing. The weather for the most part was good. It rained every day but only for about an hour in the afternoon. So we would either go to one of the bars, or just sit out on our patio. It is jelly fish season and there were many in the water. However the life guards would scoop them out to ensure people were not getting stung. There were many people who attended the snorkeling tours and not one was stung. The waters were so blue and gorgeous.

The grounds themselves are very spread out as you cross between St James and the Wild Orchid. St James is a quieter spot, and it takes about five minutes to walk down to the dinner locations. But hey who can complain when you are looking at a beautiful sunset, along with aqua waters. The grounds are kept up very well and we witness people taking care of them all day, as well as cleaning as we had seen in Cancun. They have resident Macaws and Peacocks which were very interesting to see. They do try to control the mosquito population however you will get bit once or twice. All of the bars had their own unique ness to them. The swim up bar was an added bonus as they did not have this at the Vine. The Bars located by the beach were pretty nice too as they had swings in them that I loved. The piano bar was nice at night to catch a show, although most nights we didn’t make it past 9-10. We entered Desires once but no one was in there, I suppose it was too early. However we were there for a romantic getaway not to party all night. We did witness one wedding and the staff made it amazing for the couple.

We did not participate in most of the daily activities but the crew that runs those did an amazing job at getting people engaged. My husband did play blackjack one afternoon while I sat around the pool. He seemed like he had a great time. At night we saw the local band Pace which was nice, and they had a bonfire at the beach. We did take the free Kayak, and Hobie Cat boats out which was nice because these were not available in Cancun. Snorkeling is also free however we did not participate. One afternoon they did have a member from the Spa giving free 10 min massages next to the beach. I absolutely adored this!!

The food was pretty good. We loved the lobster night on Saturday. Absolutely have to get the jerk chicken if you are there. They come around with the cart as well as fresh coconuts, and fresh fruit. We ate at the Seaside Grill for lunch which was perfect, as well as the other restaurant on the Wild Orchid side that served wraps which were pretty good. We also had the Mobay burgers at Barefoot grill which were delicious.. We ate at Himitsu and Blue Mountain both were very good. The World Cafe for breakfast was nice although I will say at the Vine we had breakfast in bed every morning as turn down service would leave you a menu that you just place on your door for a set time in the AM. I did somewhat miss just being able to get up throw on the bathrobe and eat breakfast overlooking the ocean.

If you want to go to the Mobay club on your way out then feel free to listen to their 90 min vacation club pitch. We did and had breakfast with the rep and felt that the 2.5 hour wait for our flight the club was worth it. Just be cautious they do lie to you to make the Club sound better. We were told that Zoetry costs anywhere between 15,000- 30,000 for a week. When I returned home I priced it out and read the review and this is completely false. If you feel that it is something you would be interested in then take the time to listen. If you just want the free passes just tell them no. We did not feel pressured but were turned off due to the lies. The Mobay club was great. They feed you and the bartender never once let your drink get half full. They also had access to a smoking area for those of you who have the habit. It was nice to get whisked through security and customs and not have to wait in a long line.

The resort is very safe, and you have a feeling of seclusion on your own little island. You cannot get in without passing through a gate. Also the coffee bar, casino, and game area were great! They had a nice little shopping villa (little pricey). Also be on the lookout for the vendors that come in. If you really want to purchase something they are very reasonable. Do not forget anything at home. We paid $24.00 for a bottle of suntan lotion because I did not want to check a bag. The same lotion cost us $5.00 at home. Everything else was the same. I was also disappointed in this because at the Vine we were provided with everything from toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, lotion, conditioner, and SPF15 Suntan lotion. All of these items we were not provided with in St James. (It may be preferred vs. non)

Connectivity- If you are planning on needing to call home I was more impressed with the Vine. They have the unlimited connectivity which is free and included in all rooms. You can also call out using the phone in your room for free. St James charges for both internet and calls from your room. We opted to just leave one cell on for emergencies only. To us we didnt want to be bothered, or spend time on the internet all day.

All in all this is what I will say about St James and the Vine. It is difficult to compare the two as they are different cultures, and structures. The Vine is a large resort set into a small property (high rise). Everything is centrally located so you do not walk a far distance. We loved the added bonus of our butler who ensured we had desert every night delivered to our room. The size, amenities, cleanliness, and view of the room was better than St James. We did have the honeymoon package staying at the Vine so I have to keep that in mind when writing this review. St James’s décor was more vibrant with that Caribbean feel and lush landscaping; whereas the Vine was very luxurious and modern with barely any landscaping. The beaches to me at St James were nicer, the water calmer, and more blue. The staff at both were friendly and accommodating. The food was comparable at both, and the grounds were kept up wonderfully at both locations. St James/WO has more romantic areas to spend time with your other as the grounds are vast, and there is more Ocean front to the resort. I think It just depends on which culture and style of resort you would like to visit. We like the Secrets resorts and hopefully can try a new location next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher up view. Most of the rooms on the first floor are NOT ocean view at all.
New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Wonderful experience. This was our first time in Jamaica. The overall resort was great but the food was a big disappointment. Breakfast was awesome along with the jerk chicken on the beach but the restaurants were mediocre at best. The beach, pool, bars, night life and especially the Jamaican people were a delight. Whatever you need they were there to provide it. We came home feeling relaxed and recharged.

Kinston, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

First Class Resort. The finest place we have ever visited. Renewed Vows, used workout facilities, and had several Spa services! Great folks, and most were "at your command!" Always been told, you pay for what you get, and this was EXCELLENT! Beware...men need to take long pants! You cannot eat at some of restaurant (inside) w/o them...such as Bordeaux...our favorite. Steak and Lobster for 2 of the 4 nights! Great food and great breakfast at the International Rest. Will be returning here, I hope!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets St James? Share your experiences!