“Thoroughly Impressed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets St James

Save Saved
You added Secrets St James to your Saves list
Secrets St James
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lot A59 Freeport, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #10 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Augusta, Georgia, United States
“Thoroughly Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Got back yesterday from this wonderful resort!! In celebration of our 20th anniversary, my husband and I along with 6 friends visited here. It was very clean, entertaining and all the staff was courteous and helpful. We booked through Apple Vacations and our representative at the resort (Gilly) was very helpful and honest as well. This is my second stay at an all inclusive and Secrets was far more better than the previous resort. The food was good as it can possibly be for an all inclusive. Grounds were beautiful and well groomed. The beach was very clean and there was never a fight for chairs. They even allowed you to swim in the pools at night. They just stressed that if anything happened to you they wasn't liable.

The only two negatives I found was (1) the incense that burned in the lobby aggravated my allergies and (2) the towels and washcloths were very hard.

Room Tip: We were in room 3334 and had a good view. However if you can get rooms 3339, 3340, 3341 or 3342 the...

3,271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,240)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Secrets St. James preferred side of the resort. The check in was smooth and pleasant. UNTIL.... we were moved over to our "concierge". At first I thought - how nice; someone to help us arrange things and guide us. Not so much. Her primary focus was guiding us into a sales pitch with a time share sales agent. I sat there getting more and more irritated by the second. I had just spent at least $3,000 on a 4 day trip and the first thing they wanted to do was squeeze me for more. I just wanted to get to my room, change and get to the beach. We were so taken off guard that before I knew it - my husband had an appointment the next morning to take a "tour" around the resort. That was TWO HOURS of my vacation doing something I didn't want to do. It put an immediate bad taste in my mouth that I spent the rest of the trip trying to overcome. We ended up canceling with them last minute because I was not going to let someone guilt me into doing something I didn't want to do. It's too bad - because there was an immediate change in attitude toward us. No Luxury or 5 star resort would put you through a time share hard sale.

The Room:
Was very nice. Clean and decor updated. The bed was comfy - but a little soft. The TV didn't have movies that you could order like many big hotel chains have. We had to find something on regular cable which wasn't easy. We didn't bother with the hot tub/plunge pool thing on the balcony. 4 star

The Resort:
Beautiful. Well kept. Pristine and wonderfully manicured. Good enough to be 5 star.

The Beach:
Perfect. Tons of seating & shade. Such a perfect place to just float around.

The Pools:
Nice. Well kept.

The Drinks:
Plentiful and decent.

The Food:
TERRIBLE... AWFUL....Cheap! Room service was DISGUSTING!!! My husband and I seriously had a very difficult time finding anything that we liked. We finally found the Hibachi and really liked it. Everything else tasted frozen. If you are used to 4 or 5 star dining you will hate it. We spoke with several couples that had the same complaint. The newlyweds we talked to seemed to like it - but the more established, well traveled couples did not enjoy it at all.

Overall it was nice. Probably perfect for people that like Carnival Cruises or other 3-4 star vacations. If you prefer a higher end vacation experience or are used to staying at the Four Seasons or Ritz - this is NOT the resort for you. We have decided that all - inclusive is probably not the best for us.

A note to the management - STOP trying to sell vacation club to your paying visitors. If you want to do it - then set it up as a discount prior to visitors coming.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon at St. James. This was our first "All-Inclusive" vacation and we were a bit disappointed. I'll start out with the good. I liked the room. We were initially assigned to stay on the first floor right by the door but after some negotiating they sent us to the fifth floor. The bed was very comfortable and the room very modern with a nice balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. The pool was in great shape and the entertainment staff at the pool amazing. The fruity cocktails were also great. All the staff was friendly and courteous as well.

Now for the bad. The food,
horrible. We read reviews saying it was lackluster but that's an understatement. Everything was overcooked and all the "sauces" tasted like they came out of a jar. If you grew up eating dog food then maybe it would be okay. By the end of our trip we were eating nachos at the antipasti bar. We had to request shredded cheese. One day they claimed they didn't have any. It was really bad.

One of their claims was a top shelf liquor selection. Don't ask for grey goose unless you see then open the bottle. Multiple times we went to the bar at the lobby and requested grey goose only to be poured crap vodka out of a grey goose bottle. We then found out that each bar is only allotted two bottles per day then they just lie to you and pour crap out of a good bottle. They do not have jack Daniels because they can't imitate the taste with cheap whiskey.

Overall we had a great time. Not because of secrets but because it was our honeymoon and it is impossible not to have a good time. If you are looking for value in a vacation I would not recommend secrets. It's overpriced for what you get. Unless you like food that gets topped by my public school lunches when I was a kid.

• Stayed July 2013
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My boyfriend took me to Montego Bay Jamaica for my Birthday and his upcoming birthday while we where there. For me was my first time in Jamaica and our first time staying at Secrets St James in Montego Bay.
Upon the arrival at the resort we where greeted by a young man name Garfield. As I was trying to get my luggage (as usual) he said Miss you are here to relax not to carry your luggage I will deliver it to your room. From that moment I realized the purpose of this trip.
He lead us to the check in area where we were asked if we would like a beverage while waiting to check in. I thought that was nice after a long flight.
A very nice and polite lady approached us soon enough to check us in. We booked a ocean view suite and that what we got. The room was great inside what I expected. From the balcony you can overlook the ocean the most beautiful and peaceful panoramic view.
Dinner time was almost there and out of six restaurant we chose French cuisine. Great food to chose out of the menu. I figure how can I leave this place without trying the Cream Brulee for desert but unfortunately they ran out. Despite that the dinner was very romantic.
The next morning and every morning we had breakfast at World Café restaurant (buffet style).
As you walk in they offer mimosas and you chose the table. Outside was our spot. The good energy and attitude you can see in the servers face that they greed you with smile and make you feel welcome. Quality and variety of food its incredible! My favor it was the smoked salmon and exotic fresh fruit.
Pool/ beach time it was most relaxing while enjoying drinks of your choice served to you.
Lunch time Seaside Grill restaurant (if you planning to stay longer in the sun) including a buffet
while waiting for your order.
I can talk about my experience on an on but before I bored you I will let the reviewers explore it themselves. But few things that I like to mention is the concierge lady name Tashana that was very informed and set up a special champagne breakfast in bed for my boyfriend's Birthday.
Very pleased and appreciated.
That was the only room service that we order. I suggest going to the restaurant than ordering room service because the menu its very limited compare to lunch or dinner menu in the restaurant and wait time it's longer.
If you like to get the feel of the city go for it. People are very friendly. Going to Negri for a tour is totally worth it to see the sunset from Rick's Café !!
Even thou that is all inclusive make sure that you have cash handy to tip as the sign of appreciation. I would recommend Secrets St James to the couples that need to get away and relax.
We would go back again and that's why I'm giving all Excellent to the rating.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I just left today sadly!! A huge Thanks to Christopher Rose the bellman, Phillipa the front desk clerk, Ryan and Brian in the front office, Rayan AKA Sunshine the groundskeeper who made my daughter a beautiful bouquet of flowers, and Lincoln our snorkel guide and Polo and Stuart at water sports!!!! These people made our first stay in Jamaica unforgettable from the time we arrived until the day we left. The staff took care of our every want and need. The resort is breathtakingly beautiful and the food in every location on the property was wonderful with a wide variety. Nightly shows were incredible, especially Friday night in the show time theatre. Happy feet on the drums and Tina Maria's beautiful singing were a must see. This was our first time at an all inclusive resort and we loved it. After the first day every time we went to the office or the beach someone was saying hello to my daughter by name. Thanks Secrets!!! Sincerely Tonya & Chelsea Dawson

• Stayed July 2013
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Excellent hotel fantastic staff, and great facilities! We had an amazing time here at secrets and would love to go back.............. Daydreaming about mimi vice cocktail while laid on a lilo!!

Thanks for a perfect honeymoon secrets.

Anyone who rates this hotel poor?? I could not figure why they would. They really must be looking for the impossible.

Jerk chicken man
fab tennis courts
lovely pools
Great beach
plenty of bars
and lovely comfy rooms looking out across paradise
Staff who would bend over backwards
What more can we say???

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel was great! Short distance to the airport, which was great compared to last year staying in Ocho Rios and that long ride. The service was great from check-in to check-out. We stayed in the preferred area which was well worth the money. We always found chairs either on the beach or at our pool. The Preferred Lounge was a nice touch. We were especially fond of Jenelle (?) who worked in the lounge at night. We were on the first floor, which I read you don't want due to the lack of a view, but that was fine, the reason you don't want first floor is because of the cat vomit we found on our patio the first morning there. Of course, maybe it was the peacock poop on one of our chairs. One of our very few complaints was that the peacock poop didn't get cleaned up until the next day when our room got cleaned so we were unable to sit out there, which was a little disappointing as I thought, especially being a Preferred guest, that they would have sent someone right away to clean it up. The food was good, I liked the Hibachi restaurant the best. Some of the restaurants don't have inside, airconditioned, seating which was a little disappointing, especially when you are there in June. The resort, itself, was very clean, as was our room. Not crazy about the room setup though, the bathroom should be a little more private. I was also a little disappointed about all the tipping that was going on, since we are not used to that. At other resorts such as Sandals there is no tipping except for maybe the room service people and the maid service. No big deal and we complied. Our group would have also liked to hear more steel drum and/or Bob Marley around the resort. Other than that, we really loved this resort and would go back, as well as, recommend it to others!!

Room Tip: Like other reviewers have stated, try not to get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets St James? Share your experiences!