“Bad location - Cannot recommend - Avoid” 2 of 5 stars

You added Bethel Court Guest House to your Saves list
Bethel Court Guest House
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   25 Bethel Court | Mount Salem, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Manhattan, NY
“Bad location - Cannot recommend - Avoid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

This property is located about 2 kilometers away from the beach scene or "hip strip". It is difficult to walk to the beach since the surrounding area is not really safe and is on a hill. Downtown Montego Bay is not a safe area. You might think Montego Bay is all about fun and resorts, but this particular area appears more like the 3rd world.

In order to get to the beach scene, you have to take taxi cabs which are not always honest with the rates. The true rate to the beach scene is 80 Jamaican dollars, but many times the drivers will quote whatever they feel. I was ripped off by the taxi drivers many times. I would say 30% of the time the drivers are honest.

While walking around downtown Montego Bay, I was approached many times by dishonest characters. One guy claimed to have met me at the airport while another guy claimed to be my "waiter from the hotel". They apparently wanted me to get roped into whatever scam they were dreaming up. Many times I was approached by pan handlers and beggars.

Bethel Court Guest House offers tours. I took one tour and was somewhat disappointed. The driver played games with us (and we confirmed with another person he played the same games on a separate tour) He told us he was out of gas and did not have any money. Then he pulled up to the gas station where we had to give him money. We did not see if he actually filled the car up. Then later on we stopped at a place to eat. He ordered a meal and then claimed again that he had no money to pay for the meal. The tour consisted of us visiting an area which seemed to be a water supply. The driver bribed a security guard to get us into the water supply. Then a seperate individual came in to give us a tour. The tour wasnt really that good. On the drive back, the driver claimed that his cellphone was broke and he could not do business without it. I knodded my head. Yeah right. We made sure the driver paid us back for the money given to him for the gas and food. He was expecting us to either forget or say "no thats ok".

When I arrived at the hostel, I was introduced to some younger characters who could get me illegal drugs if I liked. I did not partake.

Security of the hostel itself was ample mainly because there was a big iron jailhouse-like gate right outside the actual door with two deadbolts. We made sure to have this door locked all the time whether we were inside or not.

The only positive part about my stay at the hostel was Steve. We got into a jam with a taxi driver and he helped us out of the mess. Steve was wonderful, but I could not say the same for the rest of Jamaica.

If you want to come to Jamaica then go to one of the resorts and stay at the resort. Dont leave and tour downtown Montego Bay. I cannot honestly recommend the Bethel Court Guesthouse. I would not stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

I loved my stay at bethel court guest house. Stevie is very welcoming and goes out of his way to ensure his guests have a pleasurable jamaican experience. I would certainly return to stay at bethel court house, it was clean convenient and 100% enjoyable. Thanks Stevie

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Bethel Court Guest House? Share your experiences!