“Great! Would Return!” 4 of 5 stars

Hamilton, Canada
“Great! Would Return!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Hi everyone!

I stayed at Bethel Court just a week ago and I actually had a great time.

One thing I was so surprised about was that there weren't any mosquitoes/ roaches! Seriously... If you look at my other reviews, I usually come to Jamaica armed with a few cans of bug spray and OFF. But out of four cans, I didn't even use one. Out of 12 mosquito coils, I used 3!!!! It was amazing. Not sure if this is due to the weather or location.

Onto the review of the hotel:

Me and my friend stayed in room #2. This is a private room, private bath, private kitchen, private family room.

Steve actually gives you a map of the area and tells you some of the good tours to go on. I wanted to go to the Luminous Lagoon but ran out of time and funding. Hopefully some of you guys can go!

I loveddd having WIFI. It was actually great service and it was so handy, as I run a business and attend school. So thank you Steve for that (Steve is the owner and manager of the guesthouse).

It is important that people note that at Bethel Court, you really have to ask to receive. This is not an all-inclusive resort, it is a guest house. For me toilet paper and soap was included. As well as clean towels when needed. So feel free to ask if you need these, but I'm not sure if this policy will change. You can also ask for house-keeping to come in and clean the room.

The whole property is pretty well maintained, a little handy-work to fix-up and give some sparkle back to #2 would be great (not sure how other rooms look). But we were really happy with our accommodations. You cannot ask for more when you are provided with pretty much furnished common areas and a fully functioning kitchen.

We had Steve help us find a taxi driver. We used Minott for the whole trip and he was great. He was willing to pick us up from wherever we are/ drop us off at any time of the day (12am....12pm). This was an amazing comfort. Minott really helped us out and didn't harass us, hassle us, or bombard us with anything. The only thing is that the taxi rides are a little higher in cost (instead of $90JMD it is $200) but we're talking about a couple of dollars for a lot of extra comfort.

Overall: Steve was an excellent manager. He and his staff were there for us without being intrusive. It was nice to basically have our own apartment for the duration of the trip and feel safe as well. The atmosphere was calm. And we were so close to everything that we needed that there wasn't anything more we could even want. I had an excellent time and would go back.

The location of Bethel Court is great as well!
1. We were close to sooo many local diners where you can eat for $300JMD or less/ each meal! 2. It is close to a supermarket!
3. It isn't too far from the beach unless you want to walk for 45min... just take a taxi, it's only a few dollars. Dead End beach is supposedly safe for tourists and is free. But we also went to Doctor's Cave and Seawind Beach Resort which you pay about $5 per person to get in. Be sure to check these out.
4. You can also go to the movie theatre, it is not as nice as the one's in Canada
5. Jerky's Bar and Grille is AMAZING--> food is not badly priced ~$500JMD per meal and there is a nice bar. Some nights there is karaoke too. It was really fun.
6. Margaritaville isn't too far away either--> The club scene isn't bad, but with each margarita being $7.99... I didn't bother having any drinks there. They should really consider lowering their prices.... at least on Margaritas, so you can afford one.
7. Another affordable restaurant is Blackbeard's which is located on the Hip Strip. You can get some quality food for a decent price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Plano, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I recently stayed at Bethel Court and was very pleased w. the price and the service. It is one of the most affordable places to stay in Jamaica. I can say this as I checked quite a few places. My daughter and I were on vacation so we were out every day. We initially planned on staying 5 nights but stayed only 3 as we spent the other 2 nights in Kingston. The owner Steve is very flexible and will work w. your schedule. We were scheduled to check out at 11 am but stayed until 3 pm and it was not a problem w. him. He even allowed us to use the phone to make local calls - free of charge. It's not a 5 star hotel but if you are on vacation and will be up and about every day and basically need a safe place to rest your head at night I will highly recommend Bethel Court. I plan on having my family visit Jamaica and will recommend that they stay at Bethel Court. The driver Mr. McKenzie will take you anywhere you want to go. He is always on the go taking tourists to and fro and really seems to enjoy what he does.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Bethel Court. It has positives and negatives. It has a nice atmosphere for meeting other backpackers and doing tours and hanging out together. The owner, Steve, is lovely and very informative. Richard, who will take out to the hip strip is fun and friendly and the taxi drivers, especially Mackenzie are great too. The dorm rooms are small and crammed with beds so there's not much space, but they do have secure lockers for your bags. There's a small kitchen and a computer with wifi, 2 bathrooms and more showers. The hostel is out of the way of the beaches and the hip strip, but taxis are cheap and easy, and the local taxi drivers are very friendly, they will stop on the way to somewhere to get food, or take to to somewhere they recommend etc. If I had the money to stay a bit closer to the hip strip and beaches I would but this is a great option is you are on a budget. Definitely DONT stay at a resort...you will not see the real Jamaica!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

What can I say? I dont think this is a safe neighborhood. Very far from hip strip. Will pay a lot of money just for taxi ride. There is nothing nearby to see. You pay at the end of your stay for all your taxi rides w/Mckenzie. Not a nice person.

• Stayed January 2013
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I just came back from 1 week vacation in montego bay where me and my sister stayed at bethel court guest house.
I have only good things to say about my stay 
This guest house is not expensive and create a nice atmosphere for your vacation
At our arrival Mckenzie the taxi driver came to pick us up (it’s free!!) and he did a little presentation of the city on our way to the guest house
He is really nice and care a lot about the guest, we did all our visit with him, we felt like we were his friends
We took a private bedroom which was clean with the wifi, and if we had on request steve the owner was there to help us, he gave us some ideas for the tours to do during our stay and where to buy groceries which is really close.
The neighbor is safe, there is a lot of taxi which are not expensive, but we always took mckenzie we were more confortable with him.
Do not hesitate to book tours with him, he will bring you and the other guests to some places really nice like with a good deal for the food and attractions, the ricks café, nine miles,Negril, dunn’s river falls etc…
Regarding the nightlife , we had at the guest house, Richard who was responsible for taking the guest out, he was great and really friendly we had a blast and we enjoyed ourself with all the other guests.
I will definitely go back there! I love this place we were with real Jamaican people and not hiden in a resort !
If you are looking for fun and simple things just book this guest House!!!!

kiss from france! ;)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This HOSTEL was very good for the price we paid! it was very clean. We stayed in a two bedroom with our own bathroom. It also had AC and a kitchen with microwave stove and toaster and a Big Fridge. There was a big living room, a bed room, a bathroom and a kitchen. It was very clean and a lot better what i had expected before going to jamaica.I lost my phone in a taxi and Steve the manager of the Hostel got my phone back from the taxi driver. Very nice people there. The only thing that was not excellent was the location because you need a taxi to get into downtown, the beaches and the bar area.But overall a very good experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Montego Bay, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I travel all over the planet I have stayed @ 5 star and @ less then 5 star. The owner Steve is a pure gentleman the place stays full just about everyday guests are coming and going. I say if you know your way around Jamaica and just on the island for a few dayz then it's good other wise go 4-5 star all inclusive.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor for a better view