I stayed at Bethel Court just a week ago and I actually had a great time.
One thing I was so surprised about was that there weren't any mosquitoes/ roaches! Seriously... If you look at my other reviews, I usually come to Jamaica armed with a few cans of bug spray and OFF. But out of four cans, I didn't even use one. Out of 12 mosquito coils, I used 3!!!! It was amazing. Not sure if this is due to the weather or location.
Onto the review of the hotel:
Me and my friend stayed in room #2. This is a private room, private bath, private kitchen, private family room.
Steve actually gives you a map of the area and tells you some of the good tours to go on. I wanted to go to the Luminous Lagoon but ran out of time and funding. Hopefully some of you guys can go!
I loveddd having WIFI. It was actually great service and it was so handy, as I run a business and attend school. So thank you Steve for that (Steve is the owner and manager of the guesthouse).
It is important that people note that at Bethel Court, you really have to ask to receive. This is not an all-inclusive resort, it is a guest house. For me toilet paper and soap was included. As well as clean towels when needed. So feel free to ask if you need these, but I'm not sure if this policy will change. You can also ask for house-keeping to come in and clean the room.
The whole property is pretty well maintained, a little handy-work to fix-up and give some sparkle back to #2 would be great (not sure how other rooms look). But we were really happy with our accommodations. You cannot ask for more when you are provided with pretty much furnished common areas and a fully functioning kitchen.
We had Steve help us find a taxi driver. We used Minott for the whole trip and he was great. He was willing to pick us up from wherever we are/ drop us off at any time of the day (12am....12pm). This was an amazing comfort. Minott really helped us out and didn't harass us, hassle us, or bombard us with anything. The only thing is that the taxi rides are a little higher in cost (instead of $90JMD it is $200) but we're talking about a couple of dollars for a lot of extra comfort.
Overall: Steve was an excellent manager. He and his staff were there for us without being intrusive. It was nice to basically have our own apartment for the duration of the trip and feel safe as well. The atmosphere was calm. And we were so close to everything that we needed that there wasn't anything more we could even want. I had an excellent time and would go back.
The location of Bethel Court is great as well!
1. We were close to sooo many local diners where you can eat for $300JMD or less/ each meal! 2. It is close to a supermarket!
3. It isn't too far from the beach unless you want to walk for 45min... just take a taxi, it's only a few dollars. Dead End beach is supposedly safe for tourists and is free. But we also went to Doctor's Cave and Seawind Beach Resort which you pay about $5 per person to get in. Be sure to check these out.
4. You can also go to the movie theatre, it is not as nice as the one's in Canada
5. Jerky's Bar and Grille is AMAZING--> food is not badly priced ~$500JMD per meal and there is a nice bar. Some nights there is karaoke too. It was really fun.
6. Margaritaville isn't too far away either--> The club scene isn't bad, but with each margarita being $7.99... I didn't bother having any drinks there. They should really consider lowering their prices.... at least on Margaritas, so you can afford one.
7. Another affordable restaurant is Blackbeard's which is located on the Hip Strip. You can get some quality food for a decent price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bethel Court is a nice friendly youth hostel with a brilliant atmosphere and generous hospitality. We offer the ideal place to meet new, young and exciting people with whom you can explore the Island with. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, HostelBookers, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Bethel Court Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bethel Court Guest House Hotel Montego Bay