“The Real Jamaica !!” 5 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   25 Bethel Court | Mount Salem, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Paris, France
“The Real Jamaica !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I just came back from 1 week vacation in montego bay where me and my sister stayed at bethel court guest house.
I have only good things to say about my stay 
This guest house is not expensive and create a nice atmosphere for your vacation
At our arrival Mckenzie the taxi driver came to pick us up (it’s free!!) and he did a little presentation of the city on our way to the guest house
He is really nice and care a lot about the guest, we did all our visit with him, we felt like we were his friends
We took a private bedroom which was clean with the wifi, and if we had on request steve the owner was there to help us, he gave us some ideas for the tours to do during our stay and where to buy groceries which is really close.
The neighbor is safe, there is a lot of taxi which are not expensive, but we always took mckenzie we were more confortable with him.
Do not hesitate to book tours with him, he will bring you and the other guests to some places really nice like with a good deal for the food and attractions, the ricks café, nine miles,Negril, dunn’s river falls etc…
Regarding the nightlife , we had at the guest house, Richard who was responsible for taking the guest out, he was great and really friendly we had a blast and we enjoyed ourself with all the other guests.
I will definitely go back there! I love this place we were with real Jamaican people and not hiden in a resort !
If you are looking for fun and simple things just book this guest House!!!!

kiss from france! ;)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This HOSTEL was very good for the price we paid! it was very clean. We stayed in a two bedroom with our own bathroom. It also had AC and a kitchen with microwave stove and toaster and a Big Fridge. There was a big living room, a bed room, a bathroom and a kitchen. It was very clean and a lot better what i had expected before going to jamaica.I lost my phone in a taxi and Steve the manager of the Hostel got my phone back from the taxi driver. Very nice people there. The only thing that was not excellent was the location because you need a taxi to get into downtown, the beaches and the bar area.But overall a very good experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Montego Bay, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I travel all over the planet I have stayed @ 5 star and @ less then 5 star. The owner Steve is a pure gentleman the place stays full just about everyday guests are coming and going. I say if you know your way around Jamaica and just on the island for a few dayz then it's good other wise go 4-5 star all inclusive.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor for a better view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have stayed at bethel court several times over the past 3 years, my most recent stay was July 2012. Okay- this is a HOSTEL not a hotel. So don't expect maid service or meals. But for what you get-the prices are great. I have ONLY stayed in the shared apartments and the private apartments- so i cannot comment on the dorms. Personally i prefer the private apartments because i like my privacy and do not feel like sharing my kitchen and bathroom with strangers, and its only 10 dollars more for a private. But the time i did stay in the shared apartment i had no issues. Unlike many other low cost hostels- this place is consistently VERY CLEAN. The kitchen, bedsheets, bathroom- much cleaner than you find at many of the Jamaican hotels. Steve is very nice and there are usually one or 2 drivers that can take you wherever you want to go. I feel like the location is a big plus- if you want to live near the locals. It is a far walk to the beach- about 45 minutes downhill on a long road-but i enjoy the walk-it takes you right through downtown, and i do this walk alone- as a single female, and never have issues with the locals bothering me. the locals in this area are just living their everyday lives, and dont bother the tourists- i get more hastle and hustle along the hip strip- i get left alone in this neighbourhood. If you want a ride to downtown or the beach there are taxi's around the corner from B.C and for 90 JMD = $1 USD you can get a ride to the town square. There is a well stocked grocery store, a few shops with drinks/alcohol/snacks, gas station and take out food places just a 5 minute walk away. Of course there are locals all over (you wont see other tourists in this area) but this is why i love B.C!! Again, I go here alone, and even go to get food and stuff at night, after sunset and HAVE NEVER FELT SCARED OR UNSAFE. There is security at B.C and locking grill gates., and i know every time i go everything in the apartment will be as it should. No the place is not fancy, its very basic, but you will have everything you need, and it is clean-which to me is always the most important. and guess what-NO BUGS :) -ever. Even on the odd accasion that i dont get a chance to wash up my dishes and they are left out over night, there is no bugs, which is a huge plus in Jamaica. The air conditioning is FABULOUSLY COLD!!
I have stayed all over Jamaica, several parishes, hostels, villas and all-inclusives and honestly Bethel Court is my fav because you feel like you really are living in your own little apartment in MoBay. I love the neighbourhood, the locals are very friendly, but not out to hustle or scam you like in the touristy areas of the city. If you need help, or have questions, want to do tours and stuff, Steve (the owner) can be very helpful and there is an intercom that you can push and talk to him any time you want, but if you want to just chill and do your own thing (which is what i do when im there) nobody will bother you here, you have your own door so you come and go as you please. You cannot get a better deal for this type of place in mobay- yes there are a few guesthouses located much closer to the hip strip, however you will get hustled every day there as soon as you step out your door, and the places (dont wanna mention names) and run down and dirty. If you have any other questions about Bethel Court or the neighbourhood, feel free to message me!! Heading back to B.C in January!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here for the 2012 Reggae Sumfest in Montego Bay. WE LOVED IT!!! The price was reasonable, the staff was the best and are now who I consider friends and will keep in touch with and visit anytime I go back. They kept us safe, entertained and happy. Thanks Richard, Mac and all the other people who we met in our journey.
Big rooms, friendly staff - the hotel itself was nice too. Anything we needed, they made sure we got it.
Thanks!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Bethel courts was a great find. I stayed here with a research/study exchange program with UAB for 3 months in 2012. The services are all inclusive: wifi, cable, electricity, water, gas, ac (a big plus in JA!), laundry, and cleaning. The security is very good too which is a big relief. The price was great for our suite, and the management is excellent. I highly recommend Bethel Courts to all of my friends who are traveling to Jamaica.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed here for one week at the end of June. For the price the size of our suite and the service far exceeded our expectations. While booking the trip I corresponded directly with Steve and Ingrid via email. Their responses were timely and extremely helpful, including arranging for us to check in early and arranging for a complimentary airport pick up. We booked a private one bedroom suite, which was very spacious with a large eat in kitchen area and an area with a sofa and TV, a large separate bedroom with excellent closet space and a private washroom. The bedroom had good air conditioning, the washroom had electric hot water, there was cable tv and wi-fi in the room. Normally we used the local route taxis to go into the city or to the beach. Going to the Hip Strip via local taxi is approximately $180.00 JS ($2.00 US) each way. We also used the private driver, Mackenzie, recommended to us upon check in and his prices were very reasonable for a private trip downtown or to the beaches. He charged $400.00 JA ($5.00 US) each way.

Bethel Court is located in a neighbourhood just outside the downtown core of Montego Bay. It is about a 10 minute taxi ride to Doctor's Cave Beach and The Hip Strip. The neighbourhood was fairly quiet and the neighbours, cab drivers and business owners in the area were very friendly. There was some small grocery stores and a restaurant within close walking distance.

Steve and Ingrid were very helpful. As a guest house they do not offer daily maid service of the rooms. However, whenever we requested anything, like extra dish soap, extra pots for cooking or an extra towel for a trip to Glistening Waters, Steve was quick to accomodate us. And, since our flight wasn't leaving until late evening Steve was kind enough to give us a late check out.

For the budget traveller, or for people looking to experience the day to day life in Jamaica I would definitely recommend Bethel Court Guest House.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bethel Court Guest House? Share your experiences!