“Good enough for a one night layover...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Altamont West Hotel

Save Saved
You added Altamont West Hotel to your Saves list
Altamont West Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Gloucester Ave, Montego Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Belvedere Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #36 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Miami, Florida
“Good enough for a one night layover...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel has a good staff, friendly and helpful.

The Pros :
They do have wireless internet.
The communication center has access to the computers and print outs are free.
The Restaurant food is good, I ordered the club sandwich and it was real good.
For breakfast they even obliged with a Jerk/Cajun Sausage instead of bacon.
The reception area staff are very helpful and even lend you an Iron if you need to iron your clothes.

The Cons:
The rooms are on the second floor, no elevators.
The rooms surely need a facelift. Very mediocre.
A/C units are right above the bed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel was pretty nice. The rooms were clean and included a radio. AC actually worked very well. The location is fab since there is lots of food locations in walking distance and also the night life is great in that area. Very close by. The only thing I didn't enjoy was breakfast. They have 2 choices American breakfast or Jamaican breakfast which is included with the room. The eggs weren't even fully cooked and the amount of food you receive should definitely not be considered a dish and just a snack. The pool side area is okay but definitely needs to be redone. Looks old and the cushion seats are a bit stained and dirty. Other than that the rooms looked great and the customer service was pretty good! If you're looking for a hotel close by to shops and restaurants this would be good!

Room Tip: Make sure to choose a room that over sees the street. It was a beautiful view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice, my experience on both occasions was perfect, not only is the hotel on the hip strip which a perfect location , the staff was always willing to go that extra mile to accommodate my needs and the food was delicious. Free internet and free parking are essential to my holiday,it was all included. I recommend this place because the simplicity is welcoming. I arrived at night once and transportation to the airport was arranged

(My trips where December 2009 and December 2011)

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel where is less noisy
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont West Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you to this guest for allowing us to satisfy your needs. We hope you visit again with us soon.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

During my last visits to Montego Bay, I've stayed either at a friend's place or another hotel on the strip. I wanted to try something new this trip; so I booked Altamont West Hotel. The location is great. The customer service is awesome. The interior design of the hotel is perfect for anyone who appreciates art and sculpture. Most of my pics of Montego Bay this trip was of the hotel. That is how interesting it is! The pool area has a small man-made beach. One more thing about customer service, I had an early departure (5:30 a.m.) AND the hotel was able to arrange a taxi for me. I plan to come back soon and often. This hotel is perfect for those who aren't interested in being locked away in an all-inclusive hotel.

Room Tip: No elevators. So ask for a room close to stair well. Still the hotel staff will be happy to carry yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Missoula
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We booked one night at Altamont West on very short notice. We arrived in Montego Bay at 12:30 in the afternoon, and after a 24 hour notice they arranged for a driver (Baba) to meet us. We even arrived early for check in and it was no problem. We found the Altamont to be clean and conveniently located on the far end of the Hip Strip, which we appreciated because Montego wasn't the highlight of our travels in Jamaica. As a matter of fact, the Hip Strip is struggling a bit with the recent recession and the all inclusive resorts that do not not circulate money into the community outside of their four walls. Because of this we found Altamont West to be a pleasant retreat away from the hustle downtown and the lame excuse for a tourist destination at Margaritaville. If you want an all inclusive resort where servers bring you drinks with umbrellas, then don't stay at Altamont. If you want a nice place to stay with a convenient location, that has a fair price then I would suggest staying at the Altamont. Good people, good location, good price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I've read many reviews saying that the Altamont West Hotel is like a motel....I'm in total disagreement. It's one of the cleaner and nicer 'non-all inclusive' hotels on the strip. It's nicely decorated and looks recently refurbished as the paint colours are nice and vibrant. This is my 4th time staying there and I'm never disappointed.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for business travel or even a small group as the hotel is fairly small. The food in the restaurant is good and the setting is comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for room 302...large king size bed. It's to the front but I hardly heard the vehicles
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Just spending a night here, but the hotel was rated well and arrived with a pleasant attitude. The room was not ready, confusion over the advance payment for the reservations and even had to carry our luggage up to the lobby. ($160.00 per night.). They suggested that we have lunch while we wait for our room. Ordered a shrimp po-boy (arrived with four small shrimp on a piece of bread bigger then my foot ) three beers, a fish sandwich total $60.00 usd. But they would not let us close our tab to the room because the computer was down and they did not know what room we were to be given. Still waiting so I started to write. I guess this is the price you pay when you waist my vacation time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Altamont West Hotel? Share your experiences!