“Good food but not the best as I expected.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
VA
“Good food but not the best as I expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

The food was good but perhaps I had my hopes up a bit much after reading these reviews. We had the jerk chicken and beans and rice. The sauce for the chicken was delicious (and HOT) and made the chicken so much better. The prices were cheap. The staff was friendly. I would definitely recommend it for its convenience to where we stayed (Riu). I didn't, however, find it to the the 'best jerk chicken' as many others have said but would still go back if in the area just to get some food other than the usual resort food.

guelph
“the real deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

it is where the locals eat................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Visited September 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Toss The Resort Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I had the opportunity to taste what's really cooking in Montego Bay, Jamaica during my brief visit from 9/28/12 - 10/2/12. We ate at Scotchie's, Caribbean Restaruant just down the road from the Riu Montego Bay and Holiday Inn Sunspree(about 10 mins from MBJ Airport).

Well where do I start? The food was simply to die for. The cook on the barbque pit knew his stuff indeed. I was joined by 15 other travel professionals so we decided to taste a little bit of everything that the manager had recommended.

The jerk chicken and pork was cooked to perfection. Not too dry or under cooked. As I said, the cook know how to do it!

Being a fool for seafood, the grilled grouper was a true treat. It was grilled nice and combined with various grilled veggies & spices making it a mouth watering sin to not share!

Rice and peas were great as usual.

Now, I m not big on breads but when you go, you MUST have festival with your meal. It's made out of cornmeal and fried. It actually reminded me of a long twisted glazed doughnut to look at it except its not sweet.

The drinks were perfect as well! Love the bar and the ambience the whole restaurant has to offer. If your looking for a place to eat and chat with the locals AND want to get away from the resort food for a bit, check out Scotchies. I will admit that, when you pull up, you may second guest the appeal of the place. You have to park and go see that it's a whole different world behind the wall! It's also an outdoor restaurant so it was even more fun!

Try it and let me know what you think.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
El Paso, Texas
“Yummy!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

If your in Jamaica this place is a must!!! Very clean & delicious!!!
We stopped here for lunch after a day of climbing the Dunns waterfall and it hit the spot we had the jerk chicken, rubbed pork, sweet potatoes, and some kind of bread stick can't remember the name but O man they were good.... Can't wait to go back!!!

Visited October 2012
Reigate, United Kingdom
“The Best Jerk Food in Montego Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

If you are on holiday in Montego Bay, you must visit Scotchies for the best jerk food or should I say sauce. That sauce is something else. We had lunch but you can visit at anytime of day. In my opinion, their pork is the best but we also had chicken and fish which were also excellent.

• Visited October 2012