“One night, could have been worse....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Wexford Hotel

You added The Wexford Hotel to your Saves list
The Wexford Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Gloucester Avenue | P O Box 108, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Queens, New York
“One night, could have been worse....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Due to being bumped off our flight, we stayed at the Wexford for 1 night in May. We checked out a few other hotels along that strip and decided to check-in at the Wexford, since it was only for a night. Now, that I'm looking at the ads for this hotel, it is definitely deceiving. Our room had a busted safe, so I had to walk around that night with passports, extra money, etc. For the money we spent, we could have got a better room with a working safe, though I may have kept my valuables with me anyway. The room was definitely outdated. I was looking for a clean bed, working a/c and tv and internet access. The "free" unlimited access to a computer was what sealed the deal, in staying here and a breakfast voucher was included. The staff, that we saw were very nice to us, so I have nothing negative to say about them.
The hotel is close to nightly entertainment, like Margaritaville and you have to check out Rum Jungle that's across the street, we almost missed this place, it had a casino and nightly entertainment, I'd definitely check this place out again. So, as I said our one night at the Wexford, could have been worse and we did see worse along the way. We had made up our mind, if by chance we got stuck another night, we would have checked out another hotel. If they are indeed renovating, it might be a little appealing, because the internet pictures of the hotel are nothing like the real deal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

As others write, the picture is extremely flattering. The hotel is shabby, the rooms likewise, and the service not good. Not much more to say really - would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

For an unplanned weekend trip the staff was quite accomodating and friendly. The hotel is dated but not horrible. It could use some sprucing up. Our bed was quite comfortable and the room and bathroom were clean. The restaurant buffet had a good mixed variety of Jamaican and American foods and fruit. We had access to the beach right across the street. And the hotel is right on the strip surrounded by many other restaurants if you don't want to eat at the hotel's restaurant. We had a room to the front of the building and I guess we lucked out; it wasn't noisy at all. Oh yeah, we called down and requested an iron and before we could hang the phone up they were knocking at our door! The staff really made an effort to meet our needs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Arnold, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The service was about the only good part of the hotel. I spent one very long and fitful night there - it is loud (the windows let in lots of noise), the halls reek of smoke, the room was dingy and shabby. This thing makes a Motel 6 look like a five-star. It looks as though they might be renovating, but so far all I see is (relatively) new tile everywhere. The room safe is small and creaky, with an old-fashioned lock that looks easy to pick. The door was hollow and the lock was very flimsy. The bed was firm (to the point of being uncomfortable). I had to pull up the sheets to make sure there were no bedbugs (fortunately there weren't), but the mattress was very dingy. The fixtures in the room were rusty and dirty. Television reception was bad. And then there was Michael, an old guy who was very eager to get me all the drugs and/or hookers I could desire. Very pushy fellow hanging out at the hotel entrance scoping out the people who check in. I would suggest that you do not leave anything of value in the room. And the rate that I got (through Egencia) was a rip-off, even the rack rate posted in the lobby was much less expensive.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Merida, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Spent two nights on business in Jamaica, at an event being held at this hotel. Overall it was just about OK... Having read comments about street noise etc, I requested a quiet room, and was allocated one at the back of the main building, and it was indeed quiet, and I did not notice any noise at all. There was no view, but that was fine with me as I was only in the room to sleep. The room itself was old, and tired looking, however was kept spotlessly clean. The bed was surprisingly comfortable however, and I slept very well. The AC worked fine, and kept the room cool. Bathroom was similarly old, however the shower worked fine. Service was OK, wait staff and bar staff were friendly, while the receptionists seemed somewhat less friendly. I found it annoying that internet access was only available in and around the lobby, and not in the rooms. In 2012, that doesn't really cut it. Food quality was again OK, had a snack lunch one day and it was unspectacular. 'Full Jamaican' breakfast is served daily, and is great if you like fish or curried goat for breakfast, however if you prefer fruit, selection of breads, etc, you will be disappointed.

Value was very poor in my opinion - for what I paid for 2 nights, I could have stayed in a good quality hotel in London!

I would not rush back, but on the other hand would not mind if I had to stay again for business reasons.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

The internet pics really don’t reflect the age of this hotel and as well what the rooms really look like. It is currently being renovated so it may be nicer once finished but my experience wasn’t good. There’s lots of street noise and if your room is near the bar and/or at the west end of the hotel you’re in for a noisy night. The bar keeps the music cranked up very loud and those on the west end get the privilege of hearing loud music from a club right next door that starts at 9pm. I was in the one of those rooms and quite literally the room vibrated from the base and I asked to be moved. One other factor is if you’re in one of the rooms with a water view the street noise is horrible as there is zero soundproofing. The elevator was out of service as well.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Knysna, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I was really dissapointed in most things at the hotel. The cost of the food,the bad service ,and the attitude of the waiters did not impress me at all. They promptly tell you that they are busy ,and you have to wait to be served !! That's not the way how we do things back here in SA.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Wexford Hotel? Share your experiences!