Ok, after a year of planning & reading reviews & blogs on here, we finally took our Sandals vaca this week. I am certainly glad I read all about it on here, therefore, we knew what to expect. A few times, I was very hesitant, but just was hoping for the best, & glad I continued on with plans.
First off, upon arrival, the Sandals greeter at the airport informed us that there was a problem with our room, so they were going to move us to Mo Bay. We were excited about that, knowing it was a bigger Sandals. We were there 2 nites, & actually "begged" for them to leave us there. But everything was 100% full, so we got shipped over to SCI. I will say, yes the planes fly right over you at Mo Bay, but since I love planes, it didn't bother me! Ms Walker & couple others on their staff were exceptional! Also, good evening entertainment was available there most nites, so we did come back to enjoy.
SCI is a nice place, but due to it's location & size, hard for it to compete with the big dogs! Their staff certainly go outta their way to make you feel at home. Very clean & well cared for grounds; just seems there is a lot of wasted space at the NE end. I did not see one person use the tennis court & they didn't even have the v'ball net up all week. We had no problem sleeping as some said "locals" will keep you awake- A/C noise drowned out any outside clatter. Rooms were nice at both places, no problems, & service, top notch.
And if you are planing on staying there, maximize your stay & do as they suggest, use all 3 to play at. Shuttle is very easy to use, just one flaw I see- they shut it down an hour for lunch & dinner, which I understand. After dinner at Royal Car, we just missed the 7:00 run, wanting to go back to MoBay, & next one would have been 9:00, so we hopped a cab for $10.
A small disapointment, I know I had read jetskiing was included- no longer! Said something about going green; I just think they are cutting back. I didn't let it spoil anything- at Mo Bay, I skiied, Hobie Cat'd, kayaked, snorkled at SMB & SRC.
The locals can get pushy as stated down the hip strip, you can go along with them or tell them "no thanks". Never really felt we were at risk, just uncomfortable when they get you back the side shops. One note, the locals are somewhat aggressive, but prolly 90% of shops are "Indian" owned, & are note quite as pushy. I just didn't buy from them, if I want to buy from them, I will go to India.
One big drawback about the SCI- the beach. We didn't get on it any. I heard someone say, they had been fighting Gov't 5 yrs to remove road that runs btwn hotel & beach, & they just recently OK'd that, so beach might go clear up to hotel in the future! That would be a good improvement. I doubt if they will make it private- they is really no other beaches for the locals all along that whole strip.
Highly recommend the Dunns River Ralls trip- it is physical, but fun! Overall, a FANTASTIC vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A romantic, intimate atmosphere with personalized service.•The real Jamaican experience; Jamaican smiles and attentive service to make you feel at home instantly.•Small in size yet big on charm and large in value.•Close proximity to Montego Bay 'Hip Strip', where you will find duty free shopping, restaurants, bars and clubs.•24 hour room service for all room levels.•Butler service available for our newly renovated, top category room, the Carlyle Club Ocean View Penthouse.•Complimentary shuttle bus to Sandals Royal Caribbean and Sandals Montego Bay “Stay at one play at three”, where you can enjoy eighteen dining experiences.•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row.•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. so you can book your Sandals Carlyle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Carlyle Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Inn Jamaica
- Sandals Jamaica
- Sandals Montego Bay
- Sandals Inn Montego Bay