“Everything as expected & more!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Carlyle

You added Sandals Carlyle to your Saves list
Sandals Carlyle
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Kent Avenue | PO Box 421, Montego Bay 00000, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Troy, Ohio
“Everything as expected & more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Ok, after a year of planning & reading reviews & blogs on here, we finally took our Sandals vaca this week. I am certainly glad I read all about it on here, therefore, we knew what to expect. A few times, I was very hesitant, but just was hoping for the best, & glad I continued on with plans.
First off, upon arrival, the Sandals greeter at the airport informed us that there was a problem with our room, so they were going to move us to Mo Bay. We were excited about that, knowing it was a bigger Sandals. We were there 2 nites, & actually "begged" for them to leave us there. But everything was 100% full, so we got shipped over to SCI. I will say, yes the planes fly right over you at Mo Bay, but since I love planes, it didn't bother me! Ms Walker & couple others on their staff were exceptional! Also, good evening entertainment was available there most nites, so we did come back to enjoy.
SCI is a nice place, but due to it's location & size, hard for it to compete with the big dogs! Their staff certainly go outta their way to make you feel at home. Very clean & well cared for grounds; just seems there is a lot of wasted space at the NE end. I did not see one person use the tennis court & they didn't even have the v'ball net up all week. We had no problem sleeping as some said "locals" will keep you awake- A/C noise drowned out any outside clatter. Rooms were nice at both places, no problems, & service, top notch.
And if you are planing on staying there, maximize your stay & do as they suggest, use all 3 to play at. Shuttle is very easy to use, just one flaw I see- they shut it down an hour for lunch & dinner, which I understand. After dinner at Royal Car, we just missed the 7:00 run, wanting to go back to MoBay, & next one would have been 9:00, so we hopped a cab for $10.
A small disapointment, I know I had read jetskiing was included- no longer! Said something about going green; I just think they are cutting back. I didn't let it spoil anything- at Mo Bay, I skiied, Hobie Cat'd, kayaked, snorkled at SMB & SRC.
The locals can get pushy as stated down the hip strip, you can go along with them or tell them "no thanks". Never really felt we were at risk, just uncomfortable when they get you back the side shops. One note, the locals are somewhat aggressive, but prolly 90% of shops are "Indian" owned, & are note quite as pushy. I just didn't buy from them, if I want to buy from them, I will go to India.
One big drawback about the SCI- the beach. We didn't get on it any. I heard someone say, they had been fighting Gov't 5 yrs to remove road that runs btwn hotel & beach, & they just recently OK'd that, so beach might go clear up to hotel in the future! That would be a good improvement. I doubt if they will make it private- they is really no other beaches for the locals all along that whole strip.
Highly recommend the Dunns River Ralls trip- it is physical, but fun! Overall, a FANTASTIC vacation!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Michigan City, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We stayed 5 days at the Carlyle and loved it! We stayed at the Grande in Ocho Rios previously, and we loved it there, but we wanted to be closer to the airport for this short stay. We definitely made the right choice! The room was perfect, the food was delicious, and the staff was fabulous. I want to especially thank Shanique, Kaveen, Paul, Desrick, and Fitzroy for treating us so well. I also want to say that even though I didn't get a spa treatment, the spa girls Teneisha and Michelle were so nice that next time I'll make it a point to book something. We did visit the other resorts and enjoyed the island at the Royal Caribbean, but we will definitely be returning home to the Carlyle.

Truro, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We were "returning guests" at Sandals Carlyle, having first stayed there in March 2010. Anything negative we say is because we compare it to our previous visit.

First, the street noise from locals partying was excessive and prevented any possibility of a good night's sleep. We expected it, but found it went on much later than 3 or 4 AM most nights. That's significant when you consider the party always seems to happen on the street right in front of the Carlyle.

Speaking with other returning guests, we all questioned where the "substantial renovations" had taken place. Most agreed the rooms were beginning to show their age.

Our final negative would only be recognized by returning guests who were quick to agree with us when we said we felt the quality of food had gone downhill since a year ago. It was often the topic of conversation both at poolside and at the bar. Last year, the dining areas were always full at meal hours while, this year, there were always plenty of tables available, even at the Carlyle Room dining area, which requires reservations. It was common to see senior kitchen staff stroll into the bar area in the evening to see where everyone was eating, because the Bay Window (the main dining area) was not busy. Those staff quickly saw that many guests had chosen to enjoy the great food prepared by Fritz at the Nibbles Grill. Again, this would only be an issue with returning guests who were comparing the food to their previous visits. For a first timer, the food is still a marvelous gourmet experience.

As all other reviewers have noted, what makes the Carlyle so special is the staff. They all make you feel at home and share genuine friendship. Of course they are working, but they make it seem like there is no where else they would rather be than with you.

Most people begin their visit with one of the two Paul's who take care of the quick registration. Both are good people and "Paul The Governor" is a respected 22-year employee of the Inn.

New faces in the Bay Window dining area include the Maitre'd, Devon, who adds greatly to the cordial atmosphere and, in the course of a week, gets to know your tastes very well. The servers include the lovely Shenique, with her infectious smile and great personality. Another new server is the quiet Keino whose polite and sincere attitude is a pleasant and welcome contrast.

Another wonderful quiet staffer is Paris, who works in the pool area. He will always make sure you always have your favorite drink and will ask if you're OK when he feels you might not be aware of how strong that sun is beating down on you.

Then come the guys at the bar. From senior bartender Clinton to Xavier, Devene and, the newest team member, Desrick, they will serve and entertain you will great patience and humor. They are a winning team who work hard to make your visit special.

One lady who never gets enough praise on this site is Nola, who runs the gift shop. A daily visit with her is a breath of fresh air. Her upbeat attitude and love of her job shines through as she adds to the enjoyment of your stay.

Finally, there's the wonderful Kaveen Balasal, who is the "Soon Come Back Loyalty Manager". In her quiet way, Kaveen goes above and beyond her job description to ensure your stay will be memorable enough that you will want to return.

And we will because, the negatives are small but the positives are mighty!

Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Sandals Carlyle can not be beat for value and amenities. This Sandals is the smallest of the three in Montego Bay. This is a plus for me, it affords the staff to pamper each guest. Room service is included with every room. They have a shuttle bus that will take you to the other two resorts and back, hourly. You have the ability to play, eat or just hang out at the other two resorts if you want to. Diving, diving and diving! Did I mention SCUBA diving is INCLUDED, one of the very few resorts that DO NOT charge addition for diving. Two dives a day for certified divers. They will teach and certify if you want to learn. Water ski, tubing, wind surf, hobie cat, kayak, snorkeling, glass bottom boat, just about anything you want to do is included.
At least eight restaurants that take reservation for diner are available, Japanese, Thai, French, Italian, Jamaican to mention a few. These restaurants are white glove and five star all the way. Many walk up, buffet, and pub style with service as well. You can always find a cheeseburger and fries too, if you choose.
I have stayed at this resort five times, every time I am amazed at the level of personal service you get. Doreen, Lisa, Kaveen and Cheryl are the best. Yes, I know their names and they know mine. They said "welcome home" my second time there, it truly is!

Ya Mon!
Andrew

Stavely, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

If you enjoy real personal service, from people that genuinely care, Sandals Carlyle Inn should be first on your accomodation list. You are warmly welcomed and introduced to management and staff upon check inn and by the time you go for your first meal or refreshment every staff member you encounter will know your name. This quaint establishment may not have all the activities that are available at Montego Bay or the Royal, but those activities are at your fingertips with a quick fifteen minute shuttle ride. If you and yours like a good old fashioned dose of being spoiled the folks at the Carlyle know how to do it in style. The food is plentiful and will satisfy the pallet of the most discriminating. I don't mean to rant , but the beauty of the Carlyle is the management and staff, anything that they can do to help you make your vacaction a memorable one, is done and done with a charming style. Thank you Carlyle... WE WILL BE BACK.
Brent &Peggy Carey
CAUCTION@PLATINUM.CA

Trenton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Amazing value, great staff. They treat you like friends/family, everyone was having a great time. Awesome service, anything you need at any time was available. They have a full exchange program with 2 of the bigger Sandals resorts nearby (Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Royal Caribbean). So we had the restaurants, water/land activites, etc of the bigger resorts but had the amazing service of a smaller resort. It has a good balance of staff to customer ratio. The services were not overcrowded.
Note: Warning - merchants outside the resort are aggressive, be firm and keep walking or take a taxi/shuttle to your destination. However, the staff are accommodating and will escort you a short distance (ie Scotiabank ATM) if you ask and someone is available.

Glenwood, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

If you’re looking for a party resort, this is not the place for you. If on the other hand you want the individual service, a staff that makes you feel welcome, and an opportunity to meet new friends this is certainly the place.
I won’t lie; the location is a little odd. Directly across the street is the public beach so on Friday and Saturday nights many of the locals will hang out, play their music loud, and have a little fun. During the week however, they show up after work hours and are gone an hour or so after the sun goes down. As far as safety, the locals seem to know that tourism is very important to the country so they’re all cool. Don’t be surprised though if you are offered “ganja” at least 100 times during your travels up and down the sidewalks. That too is no big deal, tell them “no thanks” and they leave it at that.
I have travelled to many countries for work and vacation so I know hotel rooms. At the Carlyle, the rooms are not grand but they are more than comfortable and they are clean. Third floor room had huge king size beds with foam and feather pillows. The rooms were always well kept with the cleaning staff working triple overtime to make sure you had everything from a spotless room, clean towels, fresh linen. (A side note: one of the third floor room service ladies also likes to shake her booty to the music).
The food may not have the variety to please everyone’s palate, however what was available was fantastic. This is not to say that there was no variety. The grill did a great job of serving up everything from the best Jerk Chicken through to hotdogs, hamburgers, and beef paddies all made by Fritzroy (who was also willing to spend time to joke and laugh). The main restaurant provided a great chefs omelet for breakfast (as well as many other things), very delicious pasta and other dishes for lunch, and wonderful full course evening meals including steaks, fish, and pasta dishes. (Word of caution, if you tell the chef you like your food very spicy he is very capable of providing you just that. I did, and it was great.) There were three chefs at the resort and one in particular, Saliam (sorry if I spelt it wrong), went above and beyond to ensure my wife and I had an incredible evening -more about that latter. Since the Sandals includes the pay at one play at all three, you could take the short shuttle ride to one of the large two resorts and partake of their restaurants or ala-carte facilities (which we did and they were great).
The bar had a good selection, the one negative being the available wines, which could have been better. However, Devene (the gangster of peace) Xavier, Oscar, and the rest of the bar staff made that area entertaining to say the least.
In the courtward and pool area, Paris (take dat) worked very hard to cater to the guests, be it to get them drinks, or to organize a pool volley ball game he was always there for you. Also in the courtyard you found three lovely ladies (shamefully I forget their names) who offered massage teasers, and you are guaranteed that their little teaser rub will make you want the full massage.
On top of all this, you had people like Crazy Ray, who is a versatile, multi-talented bundle of entertainment. He is quick with a joke, a smile, a song, or a card trick, which I still don’t know how he did those. Unfortunately, Ray was in the process of leaving for another resort while we were there. His replacement, Anthony (Bold and Deadly) and Javair (the Rock), are taking over for Ray. Based on the limited time that we had with them we can see that they bring a new, yet enjoyable attitude to the establishment.
Since there are only 52 rooms there is much more time for individual attention by the staff, who are always willing to go the extra mile. They treat you like a close friends and work very, very hard to make your stay great. Lisa is the hotel manager and a very pretty lady to boot, she always found the time to talk with you and discover if there was something she could do to make your time great. Debbi and Devon, who manage the restaurant staff do everything they can to ensure you get the service that goes above and beyond. As far as the restaurant staff, you have some great people like Shaniqua (also a beauty) who has a contagious smile and quick to laugh. She would go out of her way to provide great service. Mark, who always seemed to be the one to deliver our morning coffee to the room, came complete with a good word that made the start of the day just right. Clover, a great young lady made sure to greet you by name and make you feel welcome. To make it all the better, the Carlyle’s smaller size and individual attention seemed to bring the guests closer together allowing us all the opportunity to get to know each other a little more and spend time exchanging stories and a few laughs.

What really made our stay unforgettable was Nigy. My wife surprised me by upgrading us to the butler level and Nigy was our butler. We cannot say enough about how great he was. Nigy worked ridiculous hours making sure we were taken care of, from the moment we arrived until the minute we left. As an example, Nigy arranged for a private candle light dinner for two in the garden. He put on his best dress jacket and gloves and proceeded to serve a fantastic six course meal (which included a lobster bisque that is out of this world) all prepared by Saliam. Nigy made sure that during our tours, we had refreshments for the day, he provided reservations to ala-carte restaurants that were booked up, he made sure the room was always stocked and even included romantic arrangements complete with champagne, rose pedals, and candles. To top it all off, when we asked, he accompanied us downtown to ensure the best service from the local vendors. That man went way above our expectations to ensure our time was unforgettable.
To anyone who is looking for a vacation that can be what you want it to be, my wife and I most certainly recommend Sandals Carlyle Inn. If you want to sit around the pool, drink a little and read a good book, you want the opportunity to be active without the crowds, or you’re just looking to get away from it all while feeling the closeness of family, this is certainly the place to go.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Carlyle? Share your experiences!