“Sandals Inn - Like going Home to Family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Carlyle

You added Sandals Carlyle to your Saves list
Sandals Carlyle
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Kent Avenue | PO Box 421, Montego Bay 00000, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Gondola Point
“Sandals Inn - Like going Home to Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

This was our 8th trip to Sandals Inn and it always feels like we're going home to family. We have stayed at a number of Sandals properties (St. Lucia, Cuba, Royal Caribbean, Ochos Rios, Whitehouse) but we never get the personalized service that the staff at Sandals Inn offers. Cheryl, Lisa, Doreen, Jason, LaToya, Elvis, Dacre, Nola, Paul (1&2), Jonathan, Antoinette, Ray, Julie, (to name some of our family members) go out of their way to provide the most intimate and relaxed vacation experience that we've ever had. Meals are excellent, rooms are clean, poolside is peaceful, the houseband provides great music for just listening or dancing. There is a spa and a fitness room, not used by us but, available. We don't have a problem with the small public beach across the street - it's nice to meet and greet the regulars that go there. As for tours and excursions - the ones sanctioned by the hotel are safe and enjoyable. Security check-in at the front door adds peace of mind when leaving the property. Our favorite cab drivers George and Mac have always been professional, helpful, and reliable.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

My husband and I had a quick trip (5days, 4 nights) to the Inn. The Inn is very quaint. Cheryl Brown (Manager) along with her staff went out of their way to make sure everything was fine with our stay. We were upgraded to Room 311 perfect view. Our room was spotless. We never had a problem with our room not being cleaned on time.
We visited SRC and Sandals MB early in the a.m. but always looked forward to returning to the Inn. We would spend our afternoons at the pool just reading our books..socializing with the other guests.
The returning guest dinner was very intimate with 20 people. We dined on filet and lobster.
We ate one night at Tokoyo Joes in SMB and another night at Cucina Roma in SMB had excellent dinners. We had dinner at the Caryle restaurant at the Inn and it was excellent.
Each night we would go to the bar to meet with other guests for a cocktail.
We would return to the Inn just to experience the hospitality of Cheryl and her wonderful staff.

Virginia Beach, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

Warning, Long review, but detailed :-).
In short: The Inn is well worth the savings over booking at Montego Bay. It has a pleasant personable staff, a mostly-convenient shuttle (except the long dinner break!) to the other resorts, near the hip strip for shopping, and pretty good breakfasts and very good dinners!

Once finishing at Immigration, we were given drinks at the hotel lounge and then shuttled to the Sandals Inn. We were greeted by many smiles including a Jamaican Smile—a strawberry-banana frozen alcoholic drink that is sure to bring a smile to your face! (It became my absolute favorite drink.) Then the manager Cheryl and the assistant manager Lisa greeted us; I had e-mailed her with a few requests (non-smoking room away from the noise but still with a balcony), and she set us up with the perfect room--a beautiful pool view, non-smoking, in a corner away from the late-night bar noise (we’re early-birds to bed), and with a balcony. Cheryl and Lisa were fantastic throughout the trip! When we got in the room, we could feel it, this was Jamaica—the breeze from the open air coming through the window slats and the absolute perfect temperature—not too hot, not cold. Across from the hotel was a small beach with such perfect crystal blue water, so clear it could only be the Caribbean!

The second night when we arrived back at the Inn, tired and ready to put our feet up, we were pleasantly surprised when we opened our room door, there were rose petals everywhere, a champagne bottle on ice, and towel swans. It was part of a free package add-on for booking near Valentine’s Day, but somehow they had timed it perfectly for our anniversary—even though we hadn’t told them. And the last night we also returned to our room to yet another surprise night of Champagne and towel swans and a fruit plate this time with a placard that read “Thank you Amanda & Jackie, Come Back Soon.” We didn’t go down to the night activities any of the nights, but they had entertainment with trivia and dancing and singing, all good fun, but we were just too tired too early.

Shuttle- It runs on time, with good service. Warning-the only problem was a 2 hour lunch break and a 2 hour dinner break, so plan to take extra money for a taxi if you don’t want to wait around after dinner at another resort. Even if you want to stay at the Inn most of your time, take the shuttle for a scenic ride-it’s about 10 minutes to the Montego Bay resort and it is an eye-opening reminder of “real Jamaica” and that it is a third world country. The shanty-towns were an amazingly cross of poor but efficient. They had “solar hot water heaters” (water in black plastic bins on top of their make-shift roofs), and many had an energy efficient light bulb which served as their “front porch light.” They also almost all had makeshift privacy fences around them, although they were barely homes inside.

Room Service-was simple and only so-so tasting, was ok for fruit/cheese/dessert as a night snack, but for meals, just walk downstairs to the Nibbles 24 hour snack place.

Breakfasts- We had heard the Montego Bay had a better breakfast, buffet style, but we found the Inn’s quite good so we had all ours there.

Lunches-At the Inn, we ate at the Bay Window and the Nibbles snack bar for lunch, they were bearably but not great, the same was true of the other resorts at lunch…apparently they put all their effort into breakfast and dinner and figure everyone will drink their way through lunch, lol.

Dinners- Although we wanted to try the reservation restaurants, they were too full, so we ate at the others. From what I heard, the non-reservation restaurants had better food anyways, so I was pretty happy. At Montego Bay, we ate at the OK Corral—it sounded very redneck-ish to me, but was anything but! The food was Tex-Mex, but it was on the beach at sunset, seated side-by-side; it was absolutely beautiful! We also had an early dinner snack at the Pub and that was good. We also ate at a more formal one called The Oleander, which was indoor but facing the ocean. The food was delicious and the service was fantastic. We then wanted to go back to the Inn as we were ready to relax, but we had just missed the last shuttle before the driver took a 2-hour dinner break, so we decided it was worth taking a taxi, but we had no cash left. They told us they could stop at the airport ATM so we could get money, so we did that.
Water Activities-We went to Montego Bay for the water sports; we were disappointed that the water was too rough to do most of the water sports, but we did get to snorkel and that was fantastic!

Hip Strip-Since the water was too rough for many water sports, we decided we should go back to the Inn and visit the Hip Strip out in town that we had heard about. It was just a short walk down the street from the Inn. We bought some fantastic souvenirs—carvings, paintings, hand-made jewelry. I really wish I had brought more cash with me as the only true place to pull money out safely was at the airport. Be sure to bring extra cash for anything outside of the resort like taxis or souvenir shopping. Do be prepared to be harassed some by the vendors, but remember they are just trying to make a living. Also remember as in most non-US countries, you are expected to negotiate on prices.

About the other resorts-Montego Bay had more young people and some partiers and was best for food and water sports, but it wasn’t too party-like that you couldn’t relax. A warning about Royal Caribbean –they seem quite snooty and the time we tried to eat there they shut the restaurants down to move the beach party. They also charged for some water sports that were free at Montego Bay.

Market at the Inn on Friday-Lisa, the assistant manager, had told us that on Fridays, some locals bring their artwork and carvings to the Inn’s amphitheater. We explored their pieces and found even more things we loved, but since we did not have a way to pull out more cash (except for catching a taxi to the airport where there is an ATM), I only had enough to buy one small thing, a necklace.

Airplane Noise-There is a significant noise when planes take off over Montego Bay, but I didn’t have any problems with airplane noise when they landed near the Inn.

Car Alarm Noise-only had a problem with car horns and alarms being loud on Friday night and we heard Saturday is similar, the rest of the week was pleasant.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at several of the Sandals over the past 10 years. We always loved the Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay, but always wanted to try the smaller, more personal Sandals Inn. Everytime we tried to book a trip they were closed so we were starting to wonder if it was worth the hassle. We finally got a 7 day trip planned for early March 2009. We got home two days ago. It was THE BEST - for what we enjoy.
First of all, there are only about 50 rooms. Some people might think that is terrible. We thought it was great. If you are wanting a "Party place" then this is not for you. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation where you develop comradre with fellow guests and the hotel employees - so much that they know you by name after a few days - then THIS is the place for you.
The food was outstanding. The service was outstanding. The rooms are clean and well maintained, but not fancy - no marble bathrooms or giant soaker tubs or glass door showers. But nice four poster king beds with comfortable furniture. Nightly entertainment was nothing spectacular, but worth getting out of the room and enjoying with your neighbors.
Downtown is only a block or so away. Very easy to walk downtown to shops or bars if you are so inclined. We went downtown 3 seperate times - all during the daytime - and never felt uncomfortable or threatened.
Since this is an all-inclusive resort, there is really no reason to leave the property if you don't want to. There is one restaurant - but you can travel by shuttle to the other Sandals resorts in Montego Bay - so there are several different dining options. We were so impressed with the food at the Sandals Inn that we cancelled plans to travel to the other resorts. (We had been to the others before and thought the Inn's food was far superior)
There is a spa on site. But we didn't use it.
There is also an exercise room with really nice equipment. But we didn't use it.
The ocean is across the street (but it is a dead end street so there isn't much traffic). The small beach is a public beach and a lot of families are there on the weekend. However, the week we were there it was very quiet and no problems with the locals.
I HIGHLY recommend this place for couples who enjoy sharing quiet time together with good food and good service.
Kudos to the following: manager - Lisa; guest relations - Doreen; front gate security - Julie; entertainment coordinator - Crazy Ray; our personal server - Annette; bartenders - Wolfe and Eureal and activity palanner - LaToya. I might not have all the titles right, because they don't stick strictly to one job. They are available for whatever you need. I mentioned their names to emphasize to you the personal touch of this resort. When you leave YOU will know some of the employees by name, as well! It's that kind of experience!
Don't pass this small, personal experience up for one of the bigger, "they won't know who you are" resorts!

Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

I have traveled to the Caribbean and Mexico annually for the past 10 years, and never before have I been compelled to write a negative review since all of my trips have been great. One of the reasons I booked at Sandals Inn was because of the glowing reviews on this site. I want to offer a different perspective to warn you if you are considering booking a vacation at Sandals Inn—don’t do it! The rooms were very old, smelly, dirty, and noisy (we did not see any of the “renovated” rooms). The mattress was hard as a brick and really hurt my back. There was no hot water when my husband went to take a shower. Does this sound like “luxury” as promised? The pool was dirty and the food was disgusting. The loud music from passing cars would continually set of a row of car alarms that would make it difficult to even talk across the table to someone. It was almost laughable; I started to wonder if we were on Candid Camera, but then it was so disappointing I would almost cry! The advertisements show the beach as part of the resort with the watersports activities, but there are no Sandals activities and no chairs on this beach, just locals trying to sell you drugs. We also stayed at Montego Bay, Royal Caribbean, and Ochos Rios Grande, all of which were very nice. I wouldn’t say the food at any of them were excellent, but much better than the Inn. There were three great things at the Inn: the best coffee one morning (but where did it go? and good luck trying to get a refill), delicious dinner rolls one evening, and great banana bread. Other than those things, everything else (food, service, amenities) were terrible and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone—it’s just not worth it. For an example of the terrible service, we asked 3 different people 4 different times for a glass of iced tea and never did receive it. This was just typical of the very slow (or non-existent) and rude service. Also, don’t be fooled by the “room service” because there are only a couple of things on the menu, and if you are lucky enough to get what you’ve ordered, you will certainly be disappointed with the quality of the food. I couldn’t even eat it, and I happily eat McDonalds food! The people who work at the other resorts in Jamaica are much nicer and happier.

Overall, for the money, you can go to a much nicer resort and pay less for better service and style.

houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

I would like to start by saying that my husband and I visited Sandals Whitehouse in August 2008 for our honeymoon and were very pleased by our stay that we decided to try to the Sandals Inn. I have read all the reviews and figured that my husband and I are very laid back travelers (early 30s) and do not find many reasons to complain. We were both very disappointed in our stay at the Inn.

When we arrived we were picked up at the airport right away and driven to the Inn in a private Mercedes (very nice). Being Sandals travelers we were upgraded to a room with a pool/ocean view and a huge balcony. Upon arrival we noted that the airconditioner was wired to the front door and the balcony. If either door was opened the airconditioner would shut off. So every time my husband would get up in the morning to go downstairs I would have to get out of bed behind him and turn the airconditioner back on. The patio doors and windows had NO insulation, so we were subjected to every person talking downstairs (we were on the third floor) and every car that drove by in the middle of the night. There is no speed limit on the street in front of the Inn so you could hear every car as it accelerated by. I don't understand the honking that the drivers do to communicate but all we heard all night long were cars, horn noises and car radios. If you scroll up to the top of the page and look at the very doctored picture of the front of the Inn, that is not what the public beach looks like. There are no pretty bushes along the right side of the beach, however there is a very large building of Condos right in front of the Inn and a large cement wall. The public beach is VERY small. In order to get a beautiful picture of the sunset my husband and I had to leave the Inn and walk down the street.
Airplanes do not bother me, but if you are a not a fan know that the landing light to the airport start right out in the water in front of the Inn. They are not terrible noisy but you can hear them landing while you are lying in bed.
My husband and I signed up for the dives at Montego Bay. The first morning we were there we went down to breakfast @ 0930. We had to catch the 1030 bus for the 1100 dive. We were sat right away. However by 0950 and not even a waiter, I went to find someone to tell them that we had to catch the 1030 bus. At 1000 he came over and took our order. By 1015 my husband went back upstairs to change while I waited for the food. At 1020 my husband came back and I went upstairs to change. At 1025 our breaskfast arrived and we carried it in our hands to run for the bus. Do not be late for the bus. They leave at 1030 on the dot. When we returned that afternoon @ 1700 our room had not been cleaned yet, so went down and sat by the pool for a while. The next morning I went down and ordered our breakfast to-go. In 15 minutes I had a tray of food and took it back to our room. The room service menu is a joke. Breakfast is fruit and danishes. Lunch is burgers and late night is salads. So for the rest of our stay my husband or I would go down and order breakfast and wait and then bring it back to the room. The second day we were there we had the same problem returning from Montego Bay around 1700 and the room was still not clean. We would go down to the pool which is surrounded by a large cement wall so you loose the sun in the afternoon and you have no view of the beach while you lay there. By the third day, returning with no maid service again we finally said something to the front desk. We did not have a problem again. There is no personalized service, no one went out of their way to talk to talk to us or help us. The reservations desk was empty most of the time. We asked Montego Bay about transferring but they were booked for the Valentine's weekend.
Be aware when you take the shuttles that they shut down at night for an hour. We missed dinner at Montego Bay one night not knowing that there is no 1930 shuttle from the Inn to Montego Bay. There is not shuttle from Montego Bay to the Inn @ 2000 either.
My husband and I enjoyed Montego Bay for the most part. The food did not hold up next to the Whitehouse. My husband got the New York strip steak from Baysides that turned out to be an overdone flank steak (that took us almost two hours to get). The Italian place had great food however the menu was broken down into courses and we were told by our waiter that we couldnt get the second and third course, we had to pick one of the two. Last time I checked all-inclusive meant I can eat whatever I want. I was never told at the Whitehouse I couldn't have something. My husband and I enjoyed Montego Bay over both the other resorts. The plane noise at Montego Bay is VERY loud. The take off strip is actually right in front of the resort. The planes are literally taking off over you while you are laying on the beach. I loved watching them, but they are loud.
We went over and visited Sandals Royal Carribean and the resort grounds were very nice, but we not impressed with the beaches. The water was very turned up and cloudy and there was seaweed on the beaches. The swimming area at Montego Bay was much wider than at Royal Carribean.
I am a big fan of Sandals in general, however I will not ever stay at the Inn again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
CANADA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

i recently travelled to sandals inn from feb 28th-march 7th. this was my second trip to this resort with my girlfriend. this trip we travelled with 4 other couples. upon arrival we were greeted with open arms once again by general manager cheryl brown and her assistant lisa. upon arrival we were taken into the concierge room and given our updated rooms at no additional cost. we were all return guests with the exception of one couple. on tuesday we all enjoyed the return guest sandals dinner and cheryl even allowed our friends who were first timers to attend this dinner. we all had fantastic rooms and a beautiful view of the ocean. each and everday we enjoyed the other two resorts, where are cost was at a fraction of the cost of others staying at those resorts. we had many laughs and were always greeted with a smile by the resort staff. food and accomodations are fantastic, but the people is what makes this resort so special. a very special thanks to cheryl, lisa, dacre, wolfe, roy, and johnathon. these people know how to run a resort and give you the feeling of special treatment. sorry to be home and am looking forwarded to returning and seeing my jamaican friends again next year. please disreguard the negative reviews on this resort. if you want the ritz, then book it, but if you want a great resort that is clean and friendly and leavesd you wanting for nothing, then this place is for you. see you soon-----cheryl. mr. pun--ni!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Sandals Carlyle? Share your experiences!