“Surprise trip for my Husband's Birthday!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Carlyle Inn

Save Saved
You added Sandals Carlyle Inn to your Saves list
Sandals Carlyle Inn
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Kent Avenue | PO Box 421, Montego Bay 00000, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 65% OFF
Ranked #15 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Kingpsort
“Surprise trip for my Husband's Birthday!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I surprised my husband for his birthday by taking him to Sandals Carlyle Inn. The transport at the airport was flawless. Once we arrived at Carlyle, our room wasn't ready, so we were directed to the welcome lounge where we were given a lovely face towel to refresh ourselves and a tasty drink. We had lunch which was outstanding and then our butler, Jevan, took us to our room. I had requested champagne to be in the room and Jevan already had it iced down! He was absolutely WONDERFUL! He had made our dinner reservations for us in not only our resort, but the two other resorts, as well. Anything we wanted, he was available to get it for us! Our last night there, he had made reservations at the Thai restaurant at the Sandals Royal. We overheard another couple remarking that they had been there for a week and still couldn't get a reservation there! Once again, Jevan had worked magic for us! When he wasn't at our resort, another butler, Danae (I apologize for not spelling her name correctly) was on top of things for us, too! The staff at the Carlyle is phenomenal! All of them are courteous, very attentive and just a joy to be around! Denise at the bar is lovely and can make any and every drink you can imagine! The food at the Carlyle is WONDERFUL! Breakfast, lunch or dinner was always fabulous! We found only two areas of disappointment. One was the noise across the street. Cars going by would set off car alarms, and one late night, someone revved up their car so bad that we thought the engine would blow up. It must be the local hangout because a lot of people congregate there and don't hesitate to turn up their music. The second issue was with the spa. I had a pedicure which looked lovely, but my feet were soaked in a portable foot bath like you would buy at Walmart. My husband had a massage in a tiny room where there wasn't much privacy. Two different people walked into the room while he was getting his massage. Other than that, we LOVED our stay! We would definitely go back! The staff at the Carlyle create a wonderful and personal atmosphere for their guests! It's heaven on earth!!!

Room Tip: Don't get an oceanview room. The public beach across the street is very noisy. That's the o...

1,183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Kingston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

we stayed at the Carlyle in mid Dec.2012 (then onto to SGR for 7, add. review) We loved it. Upgraded to an ocean view penthouse, get 318 or 218 for the absolute best views, angled to the ocean. This place is charming, less then 10 min from airport, quick check in and you're sitting on balcony relaxing. Yes it's not ultra...but it was quiet, great staff, Tyrone and Tracy Ann, Lance the Manager, the super bar staff, Soon come back lady..yes we're booked to come back. Yes, if you come on Sunday, it will be noisy from the public small beach, which the locals and the Sandals use, but it's not gunfire and fighting, it's Caribbean music and families out enjoying their day off. Take earplugs, we did and didn't even need them. Anyway, you can easily take the hourly shuttle service (run on time) and visit Montego Bay Sandals and the Royal Caribbean for beach days.
We did this, didn't get to use all the facilities at the 3 sandals, many couples came and went for the day to Mo Bay or RC, came back, freshened up and went over again for supper and dancing.
The value price of the Carlyle can't be beat, when you combine the great breakie, room service for every room, the really fantastic staff, NO mosquitos or bugs, clean rooms, enjoyed the dinners, not world class but still very good, pool super clean, etc. Had lunches at Mo Bay or RC,
both were excellent. Had FRESH BBQ with all fixin's on RC Private Island, and FRESH pear gorgonzola cheese pizza, at MO Bay. Water is saltier than Canada's east coast, made for great boyancy, such a fun time in the water, we laughed and carried on like 2 in love fools (which we were) we laughed so much, playing in the water at MO Bay that other couples starting getting up and coming into the water to join us. The Carlyle kept close tabs on where you were going for the day. We felt safe. The bottom line is I would never go back to Jamaica without staying at the Carlyle for 3 days at least. Within an hour of landing, you're kicking back, relaxing, for first timers to Sandals and Jamaica, we recommend it highly. The locals are people too and it's their beach and their country...after all...any noise is just them having fun...you know like we do at hockey or football games. I get up early and never heard anything much after 11 pm and certainly not in the morning. The ambiance sitting outside at the far end of the pool was delightful, The Carlyle was super great for the lux setting and then music in the ampitheatre after.
Lady A's singing and interaction with the couples was so much fun. Bar tenders would cut down on the sugar syrup and tailor drinks to your specifications. Thanks for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: 218 or 318 would give you an angled view of the ocean, you wouldn't see the white building to t...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I would say this: stay here if you are on a budget but then use the transfers to your advantage. We left every morning at 9:30 and usually didn't return until 12:30 a.m. We took a change of clothes with us and spent the majority of time at Mobay or the Royal. (More on them to come)
The staff is excellent, as they are at all of the resorts. However, we didn't have the butler service so getting a reservation at restaurants was difficult. But I kept bugging and knew who to ask at the front desk of the Inn. Poolside service was top notch. TJ made sure you were never without.
The room as super spacious, but the bed was as hard as a rock. I didn't sleep for the first two nights, but I asked the front desk if they could help me and they and housekeeping were super accommodating. They topped the mattress with a foam that helped considerably. Housekeeping was awesome. The room was so clean. Towels were replaced constantly and the turn down service was really nice.
This was our first trip to the Caribbean. We both remarked how disappointed we would have been had we been stuck at the Inn's property for the whole trip. There just wasn't anything to do. Yes there were activities, but it was like nobody was there so there were no participants. We came back to the Inn specifically to play some games as per the Daily Breeze (newsletter advertising the goings on at each resort) and we were disappointed that they didn't happen. No fault of the staff, there just wasn't anyone there to play.
The beach across the street is very busy and very noisy. It's cool to see the locals hanging out, but the peanut vendor has the noisiest cart and the stereos are turned up so loud they set off car alarms. Every time I tried to go see the beach it was "let me show you some necklaces" and "do you smoke". I was even yelled at from the alley when I was on the walkway to look at the tennis courts. That got old really fast.
Mobay resort is party party. But fantastic water sports. Beach is huge and the French restaurant (no reservations required) is fantastic. Best breakfast buffet there as well. Great bartenders too - find Kenmon, he will get you whatever you need!
The Royal is hands down the best of the three. Great beach, docks in the ocean. Waters ports, private island with good snorkeling, good food, BEST beach service, great play makers, and Dwayne "Haitian" Anderson - most excellent water sport staff. This guy will make anything ocean related super fun! He deserves a sweet snorkeling boat like the one from Mobay. The grounds are spectacular. A note re: the Royal Thai restaurant. It isn't worth the hype. It's cool to go on the boat to the island and it's beautiful, but the food wasn't really Thai and was meh. Don't stress out if you can't get in.
My one complaint that really kind of got my goat was Christmas Day. We wanted to go snorkeling and usually the daily breeze was left in my door so I could see the times for the boats at Mobay and the Royal, but the staff at the inn didn't want to give me a copy b/c they wanted to keep all the guests on the property for the day. I insisted. And the snorkeling boat left at 9 from Mobay and the shuttles only start at 9:30. We took a 10$ cab and were the only two for the best snorkeling out of the five times we went. Don't be afraid to take a cab if you've missed the shuttle. $12 from the Royal and $10 from Mobay. It's worth it.
Sum it up: stay at the inn and save some cash. But use the transfers to get the most out of your trip.

• Stayed December 2012
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

First of all-the Jamaican hospitality is not a myth! The people at Sandals are truely nice and kind people. I only ate breakfast here (delicious-ate my weight in omlettes) daily and one dinner (subpar). However the Carlyle is a little old and the pool is small and shaded. The "beach" across the street is disgusting so I wouldn't reccomend planning on spending a day there. The good ting about staying at the Carlyle is the shuttle service to the other resorts which are much nicer.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We just got back from 3 nights at Couples Swept Away (Beachfront Verandah) and 7 at Sandals Carlyle (Butler). I know that when I was looking at traveling I wanted some comparison of the two resorts, so I’ll start there and then offer a review of the specific resort.

One of the most striking things to me about the trip, beyond the awesomeness of Jamaica, was the difference between Couples and Sandals. Although they’re ostensibly for the same kind of audience, they feel really different.

CSA was way more chill than the three Sandals resorts in Montego Bay. Everything was more relaxed and laid back. Sandals felt more like it was about having MOAR FUN! We definitely had a good time at both, but I’m not missing the frequent PA announcements at Sandals that catalog all the things I can do. On the upside, they run so much stuff that you won’t be bored. If you want planned events and activities we felt Sandals was much stronger, where if you just want to hang out and chill Couples is very nice. CSA does have a really nice gym and watersports if you’d like, but you have to do more to seek them out. At Sandals, the FUN! comes to you.

Sandals is way more corporate and branded than CSA. Everything from the island at Royal Caribbean to the stamp they put on your toilet paper will feature the familiar Sandals typeface. Corporate management has definitely been there. This may not bother you and it does ensure a very polished experience, but it also means there’s way more corporate hustle.

This also means that Sandals price differentiates a lot. Your experience in a Butler room will be different than in a lesser category. We got better tables and better access to things than people in other room categories. If you’re going Sandals, it makes sense to spend more to get more. Going cheaper at Sandals will likely impact your experience, even if you don’t fully notice it.

Negril’s beach is way, way, way prettier than Montego Bay. You do have to take transport to get there though. Negril’s a 90 minute bus ride from MBJ, whereas Sandals Carlyle is about 5 minutes away. You can get a small plane flight to speed things up, which I think would have the most value on your arrival.

On to the resort…

The people at Sandals were exceptional. The staff at all three resorts in Montego Bay were outstanding. We particularly liked our Butlers (Danesha, Danae, and Jevon) who were masters of getting things done. Tracy and Jerome, the entertainment staff at the Carlyle were upbeat and awesome. Dacia and Lamar made breakfast and drinks better. They’ve put together a great staff and it shows.

Our experience at the Carlyle grew on us. Coming from CSA, the beach was less striking and the feel was different, but there’s always something to do at the three resorts. We spent a ton of time at Sandals Montego Bay, which is a short shuttle away. That shuttle, led by Everard and Canute, is relentlessly on time and we didn’t have any trouble getting around. Staying at Carlyle was worth the value to us, although there were a couple of times on the trip where it would have been nice to go back to our room directly from the beach.

The food at Sandals was quite good and with three resorts there are a TON of options. We loved Oleander’s (ask for Robert and just tell him what you like and he’ll pick out a great meal for you). It was nice to eat on the beach at Stewfish. Royal Thai was also a nice treat.

The Butler rooms were nice and got us all kinds of fringe benefits. We got better tables at dinner. We got to call ahead to Oleander’s. We got better, more frequent booze deliveries to our room. We got snacks brought to us by surprise. We got excellent towel animals.

When our tour to Mystic Mountain forgot to pick us up, Danae worked with the tour staff to take care of it. I definitely dug the trip, but I’d skip the tour and look into getting a car/driver for the day.

If I were to Butler up again, I’d have a direct conversation of what I liked and didn’t like on the first day. Danesha got to know us, but I think we could have made her job easier and our stay a bit better if we’d have just talked about expectations and desires early. Butlers do magic, but they’re not mind readers.

Room Tip: The Butler rooms are on the third floor, some have an ocean view, some don't. Ocean view is noi...
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

At Sandals Carlyle all inclusives resort, we really enjoyed our stay. This is not the best Sandals resort but it is the most bang for your dollars. The staff was just SUPERB. Everyone we encountered had the best attitude and was very helpful. Hotel could stand a cosmetic facelift. If you don't get caught up on small details, then this place is definitely a DIAMOND in the rough. It's a cross the street from the only public beach in Montego Bay which on some days can be very noisy for hours; however, the people (locals) are the friendliest. The most important fact about Jamaica Sandals Property is that you can visit its other locations (Sandals: Montego Bay & Royal Caribbean) during your stay at Sandals Carlyle. You get a 3 for 1 experience in leisure activities, dinning, & entertainment when scheduling daily itinerary. You can also book a tour to visit Sandals Negil with Mr. Dalton, a tour guide, who is delightful and knowledgeable. Jamaica Sandals is the BEST. Many thanks to everyone at the properties, too many names to remember. My husband is good with names and is NOT around for this review. On any opportunity to return this is the place for us.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife,mother,sister,and I had a wonderful stay at the Carlyle from 12/21 - 12/25 The location is great for those wanting to hang at the pool and have service that is better than that of any other all inclusive we have ever stayed at,and we have stayed at many of them. My mother has a gluten allergy as well as being a vegetarian and Colin went above and beyond to make sure she was taken care of. Denise and Tee Jay at the bar were also lots of fun,very friendly and fixed great drinks too. Laing at the grill taught me how to make jerk chicken and gave me the recipe to take home. Please let Laing know that his chicken was much better than what we had at Jerky's in town. Traci at the pool was lots of fun and Nigy was always around the Bay Window with a smile and a laugh. Overall this is a great place. The room we were in #210 needs to be updated but other than that the place is great.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Sandals Carlyle Inn? Share your experiences!