“Nice Intimate Resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Carlyle

You added Sandals Carlyle to your Saves list
Sandals Carlyle
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Kent Avenue | PO Box 421, Montego Bay 00000, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto
“Nice Intimate Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

We have just returned from a ten day respite at the Sandals Inn.
The resort is small but nice. The staff are couteous and the service fantastic. The only disappointment was the food. If you enjoy a large buffet selection brimming with seafood then this is not the place for you. They have a small breakfast and lunch buffet consisting of salads, fruits and cheeses, and then you can order from a menu. Except for Saturday all meals were ordered by menu. The presentation was excellent but quality and taste were average and the portions were small. The beach is lovely but it is a public beach accessed by crossing a noisey roadway. If you happened to see the movie "Groundhog Day" it is just that every morning. Same music, same breakfast menu. It would have been fine for seven days but we found ten was too long.

• Liked — Not too many people
  • Disliked — Food
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Duncan, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2008

We recently returned from a weeks vacation in beautiful Jamaica. Due to flight cancellations, delays and 'delayed luggage' our trip had the makings of a nightmare but thanks to the incredible people at the Sandals Inn our vacation was amazing!
The hotel may be the smallest in the Sandals chain but it offers the most in customer service. From the moment we arrived Jason and the front desk staff bent over backwards to 'turn our frowns upside down'. The rooms were beautiful, spotless and very comfortable, thank you ladies. The dining area is located pool side and offers an amazing selection of gourmet food and excellent service, well done! The pool and hot tub are smaller, feature an inlayed marlin and turtle mosaic, and is the perfect place to chat with the knowledgable and vibrant Assistant Manager, Lisa or the fun loving prankster Ticha. The gift shop offers a selection of quality items artistically presented and wrapped with a warm smile from Nicol. Follow the laughter and you will find Omar and Daiquri entertaning guests with delicious libations and games of wit amongst amonst a beautiful garden backdrop. Make sure to try the Jerk Chicken, fantastic, and the cooks not a bad singer either! Be sure to go for a swim and spend some time on the beach. A prime spot to meet locals who have come to relax and play with their children in the crystal blue water.
We did venture to some of the larger Sandals for the day but were always happy to 'come home' back to the cozy little Inn and our new friends. Thank you all for teaching us that love really is all you need.
See you next year!

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — small beach
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
amberleemay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Sandals in for our honeymoon. The staff was very friendly. We got a chilled towel and welcome drink upon entrance to the resort. Room service was included and it did not matter when you called, they always deliver with a smile. I was 100% satisfied with the staff of this resort.

I was not quite as satisfied with the accomodations. Dont get me wrong, everything was clean and it was decorated nicely - but it was not what I would think of as a Sandals Resort. There were two main things that really bothered us.

First of all, when you open the door to your room or to your balcony, the AC shuts off. So, in other words, when you have been gone all day and get back to your room, it is really hot, because there is no option to leave on the AC.

Second, the pictures I found online were a bit deceiving. The building itself, as well as the pool and the gardens look like the picture - but the view out of the rooms is way off. The pictures make it look like all you see is ocean when you sit on your balcony. More than half of the view was of the hotel across the street. Then in front of that hotel, there are always cars of local people who are going to the *public beach* (which is the only beach for the Sandals Inn). The beach was always crowded with locals and never really any room for the guests.

On top of that, locals would drive their cars right in front of the resort at full speed during the night. They have the loud mufflers so that, as well as the loud music, is all you hear while you are trying to have a romantic getaway.

The only other thing that I was unaware of before attending that I think everyone should know is about their shuttle service. Yes, you get free shuttle and yes it is air conditioned and yes the other two resorts are less than 15 minutes away. What is not clearly defined is the schedule that the bus runs on. The bus is on a one hour rotation - which is decent. But the bus goes from Sandals Inn, to Sandals Montego Bay, to Sandals Royal Carribean, to Sandals Montego Bay, and back to Sandals Inn again. So say the bus was leaving Sandals Inn at 9:30. It would then leave Mo-Bay at 9:45, then the Royal at 10:00, then Mo-Bay again at 10:15 and then back to the Inn at 10:30. The reason this is a bit of a pain is because if you want to go from Sandals Inn to the Royal - you have to wait on the bus for a half hour - much longer than the 5-15 min that I was expecting based on reviews I had read.

Overall, I think this resort is nice if you are on a budget, and don't mind traveling to the other resorts for all of your activities. (There are some at the Inn but not many and the amenities are much nicer at the others). The staff gets a 100% rating from me and the resort itself about a 65%.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The view
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Sandal's Inn on our honeymoon and could not have wished for anything better. The Inn's small atmosphere was wonderful. We were greeted personally daily and knew everyone by name. Everyone worked so hard to make sure our honeymoon was the most memorable time of our lives! It was wonderful and we can not wait to go back.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

This is my first trip out of Canada

We arrived on Jan 7 2008 on an evening flight.
Once we arrived @ Sandals Inn the staff made us feel @ home. We were given our keys and our cards and then they showed us to our room.
Room 104
Ground floor very nice and sweet we did not hear any noise and we had a view of the pool and hot tub.
That same night we went to our rooms and unpacked and we headed out to the public beach across from the resort. Shenon night security (we call her mama) warned us about the locals. We reinsured her we would be ok but she kept a look out on us.
The beach sand was soft the ocean was warm and the sky was lit, it was a clear & a beautiful night. We met our first local, Philip he was very nice and caused us no problems. After our swim Mama showed us where we could wash the sand off our feet.
The night was still young so we went to the bar for a few drinks & walked around the garden.
My sister in-law and I had plan the trip before we went, our intentions were to visit all the sandals properties in Jamaica and see the country side
Our first trip out was to Sandals Montego Bay for the day, It’s a nice resort nice beach and the day and night entertainment was great the staff there was also very friendly but one down side is the airport is next door so you see the belly of the plans .
We stayed and watched the 10pm show and had dinner Food was good. We took the 11pm shuttle back to our home (Sandals Inn ) That night we stayed up late had some Great jerk chicken and played some pool with the night staff (great group)

Off to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
We took a route taxi from our resort to Sandals Negril we arrived for breakfast we looked around the resort and hung out on the beach we walked along 7 mile beach there a area where they sell crafts not bad in price we stayed for dinner & then watched the show Thriller (great show) we left the resort around 11pm same route taxi picked us up and charged us $120.00 American. NO JOKE (he will be fine and dandy for a while) but we learn as we go that night I played pool with the staff till 4am there good pool players don’t let them tell you other wise.
Off to Doctor Cave Beach and see the hip strip the sand was soft the water was warm and the beach was very clean good snorkeling on our way back did some window shopping saw a cute shirt for my 2 year old and went to see the cost $20.00 American as I was leaving the store he manger called out and said I’ll give it to you for $7.00 (It a place you have to bargain) that night we went to watch the show @ Sandals Montego Bay and then off to Margaritaville to do some dancing (great local club)

Off to Sandals Whitehouse European Village & Spa
We took a route taxi to St James Market to go to the bus park (public Transit) we went threw the mountains and saw little towns it was breath taking & beautiful the resort is huge and nice Honeymooners delight we had our fill of Ackee walked around the grounds and enjoyed the day good water skiing we headed back home around 10:30 pm and we hung out with the staff ,the bartender special is good
Off to Sandals Royal Caribbean small resort has a Thai restaurant on an Island it also has a pool and a small area to sun tan but still to close to the airport

Over all I’m so glade we chose Sandals Inn to be our home for a week. The staff was the best and when we needed any thing they were right there to help us out. I’m not done my traveling of Jamaica and when I do come back sandals Inn will be the place I go.

Cheryl Brown You are the best General Manager, and you have a great staff behind you
Please say Hi to the night staff for me.

• Liked — The Staff and the location
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

We stayed at Sandals Inn from Jan 15 to 23, 2008 and held our wedding there. We absolutely loved it, held our wedding on the beach there, with almost complete privacy. There were maybe 2-3 locals watching from the sidelines. Our room on the first floor did not have windows that opened, nor did it have a balcony, but they accomodated us as soon as it was possible, and upgraded our room to a grand luxe oceanview room on the second floor. (free!). We had the last room closest to the street and were disturbed by street noise from locals only on the Sat. night, the rest of the stay was peaceful. The employees were amazing, the service wonderful, the food was pretty good. We loved eating at the Bay Window restaurant in the evenings with the pool lit up and piano music playing. The evenings were very peaceful... the days we often spent at the beach at Sandals Montego Bay, or on a tour (Catamaran cruise was awesome, as was the Ocean Safari, snorkelling on both tours), and enjoyed the restaurants there and at the Royal Carribean.. Walking into town we were accosted by locals selling taxi rides, hair braiding, tours, ganga, and trying to get us to shop in their stores. But just tell them you spent all your money, and they say, "okay mon, enjoy your stay!".
All in all we would highly recommend this hotel, the price was right, the staff attentive, and using the neighbouring Sandals was super.. some restaurants called for resort evening attire, (pants for men), yet when we arrived they were letting men in shorts dine there. This was disappointing to my husband , who would have much preferred not to wear pants , but shorts, himself..
We loved Sandals Inn, and found it very hard to leave. We may spend a future anniversary there, we shall see!

• Liked — The wonderful staff and peaceful vacation
  • Disliked — noise on the weekend from locals on the street.. weekdays were fine.
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

(January 7-13, 2008) Wow! To start with I had stayed away from Montego Bay because I felt like it just was to close to the airport and perhaps not safe. Let me tell you what a mistake this was. Yes, I still love Negril (where I normally always go) but if you are looking for VIP Service with the best Sandals staff in Jamaica this is the place for you. Just so you know I have now spent 107 nights in Jamaica in the past 6 years and have stayed at Beaches/Sandals resorts for most of the time. I am going to address Staff, Hotel, Beaches, Food and Cost.

Staff: This resort is headed by Cheryl Brown with assistant Lisa Gardner and Mak. They will absolutley make you feel like family and they are always available. If you have any needs they are quick to address it. As mentioned above I have stayed at Sandals Whitehouse (staff at the time headed by Jeremey (MGR)was horrible. Beaches Sandy Bay (Manager-Marilyn very nice) rest of the staff somewhat difficult and same goes for Beaches Negril. Sandals Negril just average. Most of those resorts are huge and you just get lost. That is not a bad thing but if you want to expierence the hospitality of Jamaica and their truly outstanding people and get VIP servcie Sandals Inn is #1. Many thanks go out to Cheryl Brown, Lisa Gardner, Mark, Miguel (in food service), Elvis (food service) and Paul Williams (door man) for perhaps the most enjoyable memory of all my nights in Jamaica. Also, since you can (by bus) enjoy the other Montego Bay Sandals Resorts a big thanks to Wayne (food service) and Travis (food service) at Sandals Montego Bay.

Hotel: The Hotel is old but very well kept. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. Only 52 rooms that come with everything you need. Including a nice gym. They have an added bonus that the big resorts have except Sandals Inn is better. The day you leave they have a room where you can shower. Do not over estimate this perk once you use it you will know what I am talking about. So if you have a later flight do not despair you can still very much enjoy your last day. For an older resort very impressive including the grounds.

Beach: I am a beach nut so to hear me endorse this resort tells you how much I loved this resort. Why? The beach is across the street and the locals have access to it. I stayed away from the beach at first but realized it was probably better than the beaches and the other Sandals resorts that you can use courtesy of a free bus shuttle that runs every hour. The first time I used the beach I had only one local approach me (to sell drugs) but a simple and nice no thank you was all that was needed. On may last day I decided to stay and use the beach for the whole day. It was a Sunday and the beach was pretty crowded with locals. At one point I counted over 50 Jamaicans and not once did any of them approach me to sell me anything. They were just enjoying their families on a Sunday. So do not be afraid to go over swim and since there are no lounge chairs do what I did and come back across the street and sit in a lounge chair by the pool.

Food: The food at this resort was great. We have always enjoyed the buffets at other reosrts we have stayed at but at this resort they did not have many. Most of the time they were sit down meals and you had a menu. The dining and the quality was like a five star resort with once again the feeling of VIP service. Most of the guests took advantage of going to dinner at the other Sandals in Montego Bay. But the food at Sandals Inn was incredible. In fact the owner Butch (as they call him) had flown in on Monday January 7th and stopped by Sandals Inn with his son and another finanacial advisor just to have dinner because the Chef is one of his favorites. I know why he feels this way and outside of Sandals Whitehouse the food at Sandals Inn is arguably the best and when you factor in people like Miguel you feel like royalty.

Cost: I picked this resort because it was the cheapest of all Sandals Resorts. I am a Sandals Guest Member and I am close to my 70 nights with Sandals and when I get there I get a free week. While I picked this resort for cost this time I loved it so much that I booked my come back trip for next January for 10 nights and thus will earn my free trip. However, cost was only a small reason for booking my come back to Sandals Inn. For the reasons cited above were the driving force to come back to the BEST KEPT SANDALS SECERT!

FYI-Sign up to become a Sandals Select Guest. I have enough nights that I get a personal taxi to and from my resort. Also, you earn points that can be exchanged for money on your next stay and of course once you get to 70 nights you get a free week at any Sandals/Beaches Inn. I plan to use Sandals Inn as a Gateway to other Jamaican Sandals Resorts and to the rest of the Caribbean because this resort is only five minutes from the airport. Spend a night or two on the front end or back while you catch a flight to other great Sandals Resorts in Antigua, Turks....

Thank You Sandals Inn Look forward to seeing you in 2009!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Airplane Noise
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sandals Carlyle? Share your experiences!